Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

How long for though as the majority of ecm ensemble members still have a scandy block ergo it's only a matter of runs before we're served up an icy nicey one again?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

ArKl0w wrote: »
    How long for though as the majority of ecm ensemble members still have a scandy block ergo it's only a matter of runs before we're served up an icy nicey one again?

This country is a joke....an alert for a cm or two of snow at lower levels...in.just a few areas...an absolute laugh....they get more snow in parts of Greece and Syria than we do.

We are no 1 in terms of dank and dreary climates and crap hospitals and transport systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    This country is a joke....an alert for a cm or two of snow at lower levels...in.just a few areas...an absolute laugh....they get more snow in parts of Greece and Syria than we do.

We are no 1 in terms of dank and dreary climates and crap hospitals and transport systems.

Are you seriously saying you'd prefer to be in Syria right now instead of Ireland?? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Someone has snow fever 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Well look who strolled in for a rant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Toys rights out the pram there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭sjb25

Are you seriously saying you'd prefer to be in Syria right now instead of Ireland?? :eek::eek::eek:

Now that's dedication to getting snow :eek:

Absolutely not. No offence intended. Just saying that in terms of weather it is more 'continental' than us. Ireland and Britain generally get rain and drizzle. Scotland is marginally colder but given its latitude, the winters are incredibly mild in the cities and towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭sjb25

U ok Hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah here I don't agree with the rant but youre really looking for things to get offended by now.

Syria is often considered a very hot country to us, which is why it was used.

Hate this offended by everything stance people take on things now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Absolutely not. No offence intended. Just saying that in terms of weather it is more 'continental' than us.

And do you know why that is so? Syria is not surrounded by water that gives mild winters and cool summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah here I don't agree with the rant but youre really looking for things to get offended by now.

Syria is often considered a very hot country to us, which is why it was used.

Hate this offended by everything stance people take on things now.

I wasn't offended!! I was just surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

This ECM 12z could be a stellar run

Upland areas in Ireland, especially Wicklow do well in terms of snow in Ireland....weeks and weeks of lying snow at times like in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012...,there has not been the same intensity since then however.

The weather in Ireland/UK is generally boring and temperate.

A friend of mine has been living in London since 2010 and has seen lying snow twice...and he lives in the suburbs....2010/2014.

London gets even less snow than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

2 degrees here, breezy, no snow or frost, the bulk of the precipitation overnight seems to have passed over the middle to south of the country going on the mets radar, not much of anything here in north Longford it seems as buckets and barrow left outside have nothing in them.
    If you're waking up looking for snow it looks like you'll be dissapointed this morning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Eamondomc wrote: »
    2 degrees here, breezy, no snow or frost, the bulk of the precipitation overnight seems to have passed over the middle to south of the country going on the mets radar, not much of anything here in north Longford it seems as buckets and barrow left outside have nothing in them.
    If you're waking up looking for snow it looks like you'll be dissapointed this morning anyway.

Nothing was expected this morning as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Next week's a bust, fill your boots today folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Next week's a bust, fill your boots today folks.

You can predict what 3 weather models can't? Fair play! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Villain wrote: »

Are we getting snow today or next week though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Are we getting snow today or next week though?

None next week. Perhaps a few places today will get a sleet mix. I have already written today off. Bitterly disappointed. But I'm a level headed type and understand that to correctly predict snow in Ireland is next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    None next week. Perhaps a few places today will get a sleet mix. I have already written today off. Bitterly disappointed. But I'm a level headed type and understand that to correctly predict snow in Ireland is next to impossible.

Calm down there

Nothing was forecast for now, perhaps go and read the Met Eireann forecast on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

fraxinus1 wrote: »

You just contradicted yourself here :D Amway I believe the snow for today was always forecasted from noon onward

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Villain wrote: »

Its a review of model concensus that Im summarising, plus historical outcomes based on these marginals, i.e. mostly not great for snow lovers. Met É seem to agree with me.

I certainly feel safer with the above prediction than some historical long fetch beasterly from east of Moscow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its a review of model concensus that Im summarising, plus historical outcomes based on these marginals, i.e. mostly not great for snow lovers. Met É seem to agree with me.

I certainly feel safer with the above prediction than some historical long fetch beasterly from east of Moscow!

Met Eireann haven't gone beyond midweek on any forecast I have seen and there is no raging Atlantic that I can see on the charts?.

I see lots of potential for a proper cold spell from overnight charts, calling it either way beyond early next week is pure guessing at this stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I am closing this thread for the next 36 hours, or so.

Posts in relation to current weather/this 'cold snap' can go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057691441

Posts in relation to weather models/potential future weather can go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057649151

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Looks like we lose our cold frosty weather overnight tonight.
    :(

20h0mmh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks like we lose our cold frosty weather overnight tonight.
    :(
    [/IMG]

Havent seen any frost, just miserable cold damp weather :(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Pangea wrote: »
    Havent seen any frost, just miserable cold damp weather :(

Looks like cold frosty weather next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    But possibly a horrible March like 2013 again :(.

I don't know if you are following the stratosphere thread over on Netweather, but one of the posters over there was discussing this very possibility.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86485-stratosphere-temperature-watch-201617/?do=findComment&comment=3524635

Advertisement