Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

esposito wrote: »
    For now yes, but if the hp shifts to a favourable position who knows, things could get interesting in a couple of weeks time

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Europes cold cold cold air is lurking never too far away fringe-ing the Far East coast of England
    While that's happening and since it's only mid January,if I was allergic to Cold,I wouldn't relax just yet

Even Met Eireann expects a cool down within our high pressure from wenesday under a southerly if you don't mind suggesting returning continental air (heavily modified at that stage of course)
    So let's see where we are going in a weeks time with this high
    Low pressure in and around the Med ain't going to encourage it to move south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Quote:

'12-01-2017, 19:56 #1584
    fraxinus1

Adverts | Friends
    That's it. No snow in Donegal or Sligo. It's actually turned noticeably milder in the last hour or two outside compared to earlier. Not even going to watch the RTE forecast this evening. I also hear the latest ECM is terrible again. So it will be muck until end of March, then perfect setup snow wise at Easter, except by then it's to bloody late in the year for any snow to lie and before you know it we are into May.... one of the most boring months of the year.

I'm going to come off here for a while also. Beginning to depress me. Over and out.'

Surely this person is a WUM:D The comments are the most wearisome, despairingly negative i've ever read on any internet forum. This is only the tip of the iceberg i've quoted! May one of the most boring months of the year. Ah come on, great amount of daylight and new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

sryanbruen wrote: »
    By patterns I mean:

QBO, AO, NAO, SW, El Nino / La Nina etc.

Haven't got a breeze what you mean with all the Q's, O's, & A's? My patterns are established by what my own Mk1 eyeball has observed and directly experienced over a 50 year plus period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Right i'll add my own little prediction for 2017.:D

This is for the southeast of Ireland.

Based on a rough link to El Nino and La Nina conditions giving stormy and wet weather to Ireland and the middle between El Nino and La Nina (neutral) giving dry conditions to the southeast. With ENSO heading back into neutral territory and predicted to stay this way till October.

screenshot_1.png
    https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/january-2017-enso-update-happy-new-year

I'm predicting a drier than normal spring and drier than normal summer and perhaps wetter than normal autumn and winter as it heads back into El Nino conditions.

You heard it here first.;)

I think i'll change my mind based on looking at the Met Eireann records.:p

I think I'll go for a dry Jan, Feb.
    Then a wetter than average March.
    A drier than average April.
    A wetter than average May.
    And a drier than average Summer.
    Then wetter than average Autumn and Winter due to the potential El Nino then.

I came to this conclusion based on the nearest match to ENSO 2016/2017 is 2006 and the weather conditions that followed in this country.

2013 could be similar with a neutral year but 2005 roughly matches to 2016.
    The only good thing is neutral summers are dry and sunny with some droughts.

Anyway compare for yourselves.:D;)
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

BBC wekl ahead is not even signaling frost at night anywhere other than the south east of England all next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBC wekl ahead is not even signaling frost at night anywhere other than the south east of England all next week.

they are also hinting at the return of the Atlantic towards next weekend. Most of this week will be mild and calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

They've been spot on with their last 3 sunday forecasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Dirty morning here damp cloudy but mild enough. Weather for week looks good mainly dry not to cold and some brightness. Just realised that we are only half way really to the clocks going forward again. It's too long I think we'd be better off if they changed at end of Feb.

Absolutely. They go back weeks after the autumn equinox, so should be weeks before the spring equinox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Started to get very cold and suddenly getting a little darker. Looks like it might snow later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Started to get very cold and suddenly getting a little darker. Looks like it might snow later

It won't! Look at the temperatures! It's 10c nearly everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Only if you don't understand anything about the conditions necessary for snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

nah its not gonna snow!

I'm giving benefit of the doubt that they're not trolling, but they did post a similar impossible snow prediction a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"By MONDAY and perhaps TUESDAY of next week it could be very mild with intervals of rain; finally some moderate southwest winds will develop and this blocking pattern over Europe will begin to yield. "

A pattern change? This would reflect the thoughts of the UKMO winter forecast for the latter part of winter. I just hope it's a temporary return to Atlantic driven weather before we get a massive Greenland high in February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things really aren't looking good, definitely say January is another write-off at this stage. Atlantic looks to be back from next week mixing between very mild and some minor cold moments from the north-west. Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean areas seem to be the best bet for snow this winter. Even the UK has had a dire winter for snow so far.

Go to Lugnaquilla Gonzo

Why do we go to Lugnaquilla?
    Because it's there
    Gorgeous snow up there last week

Enjoy :)

https://www.facebook.com/paul.kavanagh.3517/posts/1082949675146889

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Go to Lugnaquilla Gonzo

Why do we go to Lugnaquilla?
    Because it's there
    Gorgeous snow up there last week

Enjoy :)

https://www.facebook.com/paul.kavanagh.3517/posts/1082949675146889

Snow in the mountains doesn't count! Most people want it at home. Snow in other places is nice but there is nothing like snow at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Gonzo wrote: »
    Snow in the mountains doesn't count! Most people want it at home. Snow in other places is nice but there is nothing like snow at home.

Fussy fella.:D;)

Gonzo wrote: »

Anyone that truly loves snow goes to visit it,it's the only option on this island and less than an hours drive from you!
    I actually can't believe the amount of people with a resource like the Wicklow mountains on their doorstep that don't go!

• Advertisement

Anyone that truly loves snow goes to visit it,it's the only option on this island and less than an hours drive from you!
    I actually can't believe the amount of people with a resource like the Wicklow mountains on their doorstep that don't go!

Provided its safe to do so based on their mode of transport.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, but I can't believe the amount of people that go up there and end up getting stuck and needing to get help from the likes of mountain rescue. These guys are volunteers that have to take time out of their everyday lives to go rescue people who take silly risks to go see snow when they are ill equipped for the conditions.

Not saying in anyway that you are one of these such persons, ArkL0w and not having a dig at you at all.

Stay safe ;)

To be fair,I don't think anyone in that video are ill equipped being members of mountaineers Ireland and all that
    Obviously and I've said it here before,if on Lug,bring someone who knows what they're doing
    There's a slightly longer but easier route to the top than those lads took
    The people to ask in advance would be the folks in the Glenmalure lodge

To be fair,I don't think anyone in that video are ill equipped being members of mountaineers Ireland and all that
    Obviously and I've said it here before,if on Lug,bring someone who knows what they're doing
    There's a slightly longer but easier route to the top than those lads took
    The people to ask in advance would be the folks in the Glenmalure lodge

I completely agree, but having heard some of the absolute stupidity people do get into while out searching for snow, risking their own lives and those of the mountain rescue teams, from the mountain rescue guys themselves I do think it is worth noting to be extremely careful and plan well.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Can't wait for this particular phase of weather to pass, it is boring the arse off of me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

LEIN wrote: »
    Can't wait for this particular phase of weather to pass, it is boring the arse off of me.....

Que the comments where you're told that this is great weather for people who "live in the adult world" as I have been told.

Agree completely though, overcast, light drizzly weather, drear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

LEIN wrote: »

Keep it coming, I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice mild evening here in castlebar with little or no wind, mix of cloud and clear spells. Nice weather, if boring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Keep it coming, I'm loving it.

Drizzle, damp and dull in D15 and I ain't lovin' it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Drizzle, damp and dull in D15 and I ain't lovin' it! :)

It was perfectly fine all day here (Dublin 1 and Dublin 13), same with yesterday. Didn't see one bit of drizzle.

• Advertisement

Dublin 7 the clouds were looming low all day, like you stick your neck out and drink them dry. It was the kind of day that gives people migraines.

Advertisement