Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

No posts here in 24 hours!! That can only mean one thing mild weather

Was just thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not even going to tease myself. Look at the Met Office outlook. It's bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No posts here in 24 hours!! That can only mean one thing mild weather
    Yep, with the Atlantic back in charge from next Tuesday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

There's a bit of a swell coming in for a few days now.
    WSW check Lahinch magicseaweed

10pm update from met eireann and its more of the same for this week with the atlantic south westerlies returning next week. I have to say its kinda strange here in Mayo without a right storm or two at this point,perhaps at the end of the month ;)

Outlook
    There will be a lot of dry quiet weather through the rest of the week and a little cooler than at present with some frosts at night. Indications suggest the Atlantic will break through later in the weekend, bringing more unsettled but mild conditions for early next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Apart from the JMA, when was February expected to be a cold month i.e. the possibility of snow in February?

Most long range forecasts are going for a Mild February, with the Atlantic more active than it normally would be. I hope the return of the Atlantic is short- lived, but if it must return, perhaps we will see a few topplers. With that in mind a poster on the netweather strat thread seems convinced we will have low pressure systems passing to the north west of Ireland during February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I would love hard frosts to get rid of all the germs and bugs doing the rounds. Also we're having a lot of trouble with cattle getting pneumonia, scours etc. The cattle are sweating in the sheds. With us they tend to be very hairy animals to adapt to the mountainy cold. This is a problem however in mild weather as the animals sweat a lot. Very hard to ventilate the sheds.

Also while 2005/6 had a mild winter and beautiful summer, most times it doesn't work out that way. The weather synoptics we've had since October or so would have given us one hell of a summer :) We'd be most fortunate to have them repeated in any shape or form from June to the end of August. Generally you get your quota of high pressure, atlantic spells etc each year.. with exceptions of course. Hopefully this summer will be an exception like 2006. But up my neck of the woods with very heavy, wet soils i'd hate to have to bring in cattle so as not to plough up the land in August as we had to in 2008 and 2012.

Also, with due respect to those who suffer from flooding, it's my experience that your better off having it rain like anything from late October to mid March or early April (when we'd spread fertiliser). That's the time of the year for it. Not the long evenings from 1st April until early October, and most especially not the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

nagdefy wrote: »
    I would love hard frosts to get rid of all the germs and bugs doing the rounds. Also we're having a lot of trouble with cattle getting pneumonia, scours etc. The cattle are sweating in the sheds. With us they tend to be very hairy animals to adapt to the mountainy cold. This is a problem however in mild weather as the animals sweat a lot. Very hard to ventilate the sheds.

Also while 2005/6 had a mild winter and beautiful summer, most times it doesn't work out that way. The weather synoptics we've had since October or so would have given us one hell of a summer :) We'd be most fortunate to have them repeated in any shape or form from June to the end of August. Generally you get your quota of high pressure, atlantic spells etc each year.. with exceptions of course. Hopefully this summer will be an exception like 2006. But up my neck of the woods with very heavy, wet soils i'd hate to have to bring in cattle so as not to plough up the land in August as we had to in 2008 and 2012.

Also, with due respect to those who suffer from flooding, it's my experience that your better off having it rain like anything from late October to mid March or early April (when we'd spread fertiliser). That's the time of the year for it. Not the long evenings from 1st April until early October, and most especially not the summer months.
    My mother who was from leitrim also loved frost or a fall of snow as she said like you it killed off all the bugs and germs. I grew up listening to this and have passed it on to my own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mild and sweet and blessedly calm up here. My first night in the cottage the wind howled and bellowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Most long range forecasts are going for a Mild February, with the Atlantic more active than it normally would be. I hope the return of the Atlantic is short- lived, but if it must return, perhaps we will see a few topplers. With that in mind a poster on the netweather strat thread seems convinced we will have low pressure systems passing to the north west of Ireland during February

I know, that's what I'm trying to say here. Gonzo said that he WAS STARTING TO THINK that February was going to be mild and wet. Since when was it not going to be, as expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I love really cold frosty mornings and snow when it makes an appearance but, from a practical point of view, I'm loving this weather. Usually winter is either calm and cold/frosty or mild and windy/stormy. Snow and hard frosts will stop me from cycling to work and put me back onto the M50 car park. Wind is something that can suck the joy out of cycling. This mild, calm, weather is just brilliant for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

onmebike wrote: »
    I love really cold frosty mornings and snow when it makes an appearance but, from a practical point of view, I'm loving this weather. Usually winter is either calm and cold/frosty or mild and windy/stormy. Snow and hard frosts will stop me from cycling to work and put me back onto the M50 car park. Wind is something that can suck the joy out of cycling. This mild, calm, weather is just brilliant for cycling.

Agreed, this weather is fantastic. Everywhere is drying up now (in the east side of the country anyway). This combined with near calm conditions makes outdoor work and leisure activities so much more enjoyable. I've been meaning to clear out the gutters at home. This calm still and dry weather is perfect for it. Even lunchtime walks are very nice. It's not very mild and set to cool down a bit more but with no windchill to speak of, the temperature is not really an issue.

Saving a fortune on heating as well. It costs more to heat the house on a cool windy day than a cold/very cold calm day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

better chance of catching some snow along the coasts of spain today. The costa del sol is seeing temperatures as low as 2C today, in Fuengirola today it's wet and only 6C, meanwhile in Alicante its snowing in places and temperatures are struggling to get above 2C at the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Speaking to friends just north of Torrevieja and they have half an inch of snow and 0.4c ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ha, if you think the Irish moan about the weather, you've never heard a Mediterranean native on a cold day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Murcia in the SE of Spain is currently trending on twitter because of heavy snowfall, also pictures of the beaches near Alicante covered in snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yep, a dull & boring day.

C2dPlu2XUAQBfDu.jpg

Was sunny for a while earlier, gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Almost like a spring day in Galway City, beautiful weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bsal wrote: »
    Murcia in the SE of Spain is currently trending on twitter because of heavy snowfall, also pictures of the beaches near Alicante covered in snow.

Nearly 13c earlier here in SE Ireland.It's just meh weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pleasantly dull day today, no drizzle unlike yesterday.

Looks to be frostless again!

Yesterday the lowest temperatures for tonight were given as -3c to +2c, today its +1c to +4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Talking to friends in Orihuela Costa. Snow hasn't melted all day! This is depressing now. Really taking the mick

Looking like next week's return to westerlies is being delayed.

Another nice day ,cloud base slightly higher today, good visibility. no damp murky stuff about. 10 degrees in calm conditions and even a little stretch in the evening. looking like some nice sunny spells for the western half of the country tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Another nice day ,cloud base slightly higher today, good visibility. no damp murky stuff about. 10 degrees in calm conditions and even a little stretch in the evening. looking like some nice sunny spells for the western half of the country tomorrow.

It looks like this front is finally moving off to the north of Ireland tomorrow afternoon. It'll be nice to see the sun again.:pac:

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Started to get dark very suddenly and really cold too. Reckon snow is on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

Started to get dark very suddenly and really cold too. Reckon snow is on the way

Is this some kind of in joke I'm missing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes:rolleyes:

Advertisement