Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

According to the Irish mirror the Sahara desert has had a few inches of snowfall today..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to the Irish mirror the Sahara desert has had a few inches of snowfall today..

The Sahara is a vast place, some of it is known to get snowfall alot more regularly than you'd think!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Low of -4.6c this morning at my station

Dublin Airport was reporting -5c at one point this morning.

Reporting 0c at 7pm, was -1c at 5:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I only got down to -1.5c last night.

• Advertisement

Dublin airport reporting -3c at 9pm, Casement Aerodrome reporting +2c at 9pm. Big difference for such a small distance.

Still though, alot of Dublin should have a nice layer of ice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I
    nagdefy wrote: »
    Of course sometimes we get some of the land into middling shape and we get pics like this from 2011.264883_10150303183300908_6946430_n.jpg?oh=d8a106b354ff876a7121851fecb134a5&oe=59121254

29494_432824570907_64126_n.jpg?oh=8da4e6769317a9e0881888a9ce5bd1ac&oe=5915ACD0

I can see them wind turbines when I go up the fields, over the hills that are in between, or if I go a bit further, a clear view over from the Brown mountain.
    I was never over that way, must go sometime this year, would be nice on a summer's day.

Anyway back to weather, highest temperature today of 3.1C, low of 0.2C.
    It is one things about hills, the daytime temperature in weather my be lower, but the temperature variation is less than lower down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very icy here right now, everything covered in a layer of frost. Since November there has only been 2 or 3 proper nights of frost here. Still more than last winter tho, last winter we almost escaped frost free for the entire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Freezing in north meath since shortly before sun set, and its white outside now, cant beat it

Went down to 2.2c here, up to 2.8c now. Looks like no frost for the next few weeks.

Fecking hate the climate here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

RobertKK wrote: »
    I

I can see them wind turbines when I go up the fields, over the hills that are in between, or if I go a bit further, a clear view over from the Brown mountain.
    I was never over that way, must go sometime this year, would be nice on a summer's day.

Anyway back to weather, highest temperature today of 3.1C, low of 0.2C.
    It is one things about hills, the daytime temperature in weather my be lower, but the temperature variation is less than lower down.

We're at the top there Robert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Cold but cloudy here this morning and a bit of a cold breeze,1.5 and the white we had yesterday and last night at bedtime is gone, no physical sign of frost at all now.?

Every ENSO neutral Spring since 1879 besides 1960, 1984 and 2004 was unsettled and cold. Not a good sign for this Spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Every ENSO neutral Spring since 1879 besides 1960, 1984 and 2004 was unsettled and cold. Not a good sign for this Spring!
    What about those following summers?

highdef wrote: »
    What about those following summers?

Not many of the summers were good as per expected given how poor summers are in Ireland :D but there were some decent and one extremely good one. These summers were 1984, 1996 and 2006. Some very poor ones followed the springs like 1979, 1981 and 1956. Not a good sign for a good Summer either but of course there are always exceptions and who knows, 2017 could be one of those exceptions.

See how similar Winter 2005/06 (again I say :rolleyes:) was to this Winter? Not only for the dry and anticyclonic factor but also because Europe was in the freezer at some point which was January 2006! Exactly the same situation here, January 2017 has Europe in the freezer but like in January 2006, we're on the periphery of the freeze and get the mild weather. Spring 2006 then had an ENSO neutral but was on the colder side of neutral, so not a complete perfect match to now as it's expected to be on the warmer side of neutral but nevertheless, it's ENSO neutral like back in Spring 2006.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost melted around 2/3am last night, still feeling very cold outside.

Got down to -4.1c, still not beating -4.3c on December 1st though :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Got down to -4.1c, still not beating -4.3c on December 1st though :cool:.

Only got down to 1.1c in Naas. Amazing difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I just saw the RTE farming weather forecast for the week ahead.

What can I say. Perfect weather for the southeast.
    It looks like the rain bands won't get here till after Thursday.
    A southwesterly breeze keeping things warm in the daytime and the night as well.
    It looks like it will be clear sunny weather too at times.
    (There will be some weak fronts at times giving cloud sometimes).
    But dry and warm.
    Keep going with the good weather. Nice spring weather.

Woohoo.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I used to say every nice day shortens the winter by that day - but I think I need to talk in terms of weeks now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Today really has to be the nicest day of the winter so far. Blue purple skies with hazy, diffused horizon. Looks like a real summer's day; just a pity we don't get days like this in the summer anymore though.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

It hasn't gone above 4 here all day, it has brightened up nicely alright, but not a day I'd like in summer though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Misty, foggy in Galway
    Barely above 0c all day.

Yet Met.ie says 7c to the west and east of Galway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking out at Clew bay just before sunset, light winds a flat calm Atlantic with some fog on front of Clare Island

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Impossible to get a decent photo of celestial bodies with phone cameras, but there was an amazing red giant sunset this evening, got a lovely view of it from Phoenix Park. This was slightly earlier though:

i9k5cmm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

No chance of any snowy weather in the East of Ireland from the Strat event
    It's favouring America
    The Bastard has spoken and he was right(as he often is) about Europe up to now

ArKl0w wrote: »
    No chance of any snowy weather in the East of Ireland from the Strat event

Maybe not for Winter as after December, I wasn't expecting any but still the possibility for Spring as other factors show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big temperature contrast across the country tonight, cloud was slow to break here today in Kerry, a few slivers of blue sky time to time and a light shower towards evening, 5.4C atm.

Snb5DBj.png?1

g0pvazW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Lowest temperatures of -3 or -4 degrees tonight in some parts.

Issued:Sunday 22 January 2017 17:00
    Valid:Sunday 22 January 2017 21:00 to Monday 23 January 2017 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Fog Warning for Connacht
    Fog will form overnight, dense in places.

Issued:Sunday 22 January 2017 17:00
    Valid:Sunday 22 January 2017 18:00 to Monday 23 January 2017 10:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Big temperature contrast across the country tonight, cloud was slow to break here today in Kerry, a few slivers of blue sky time to time and a light shower towards evening, 5.4C atm.

In contrast it's a much chillier -1.1C in Galway city and the temp hasn't risen much above 2C all day.
    407152.PNG

Advertisement