Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Its 0 here now, the slight glitter of frost starting on the grass. Its a lovely clear night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I heard requests on the radio for people to call into their elderly neighbours this evening or any elderly people they know as temperatures will reach -3 or possibly -4 overnight.

Is this not completely OTT? These temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary, they occur several times every winter and quite frankly I see it as much less of a danger than a very windy night with a temperature of +3/4c, which makes a house much harder to heat. There is no wind, so little heat escapes which is the main problem with cold for elderly people.

Why are Met Eireann warnings issued tonight? The area of low temperatures are smaller than previous nights, and not as severe even! I notice Dublin airport had -5c the other morning and there wasn't a thing mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I heard requests on the radio for people to call into their elderly neighbours this evening or any elderly people they know as temperatures will reach -3 or possibly -4 overnight.

Is this not completely OTT? These temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary, they occur several times every winter and quite frankly I see it as much less of a danger than a very windy night with a temperature of +3/4c, which makes a house much harder to heat. There is no wind, so little heat escapes which is the main problem with cold for elderly people.

Why are Met Eireann warnings issued tonight? The area of low temperatures are smaller than previous nights, and not as severe even! I notice Dublin airport had -5c the other morning and there wasn't a thing mentioned!
    No harm at all in reminding people to keep in contact with their elderly neighbours or family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

One thing that does annoy me is that despite the roads being bone dry council staff are still out spreading grit/salt on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

One thing that does annoy me is that despite the roads being bone dry council staff are still out spreading grit/salt on them.

Pretty sure the gritters are in cahoots with the car washing industry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Windscreen froze over at 6pm. Lovely crisp night

haha yes, washed my one yesterday,be back to the same tomorrow evening.

Nice temperature drop at Belfast Aldergrove earlier, was -1c at 9:20pm, went to -4 at 9:50pm.

10pm reports. Belmullet down to a rare -1. a cold night . Markree in Sligo and Mount Dillon both -3. probably the only night for the next while where there will be a hard frost.

11pm. Markree Sligo -4. temperatures on the rise in the south, Roaches point 9 degrees.

• Advertisement

Just in and its -4.5 according to the taxi man, but I'm warm inside right now. I'll probably freeze in the morning.

+1c at Dublin airport, +5c at Shannon airport, and a nice cool -6c at Belfast Aldergrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A chill, still morning here. Bitter cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

A very thick fog here this morning.
    It's clearing up now and looks to be a clear bright dry day.
    It's 5c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heatwave in the sun here! (Waterford) The amount of shrubs and the like with buds coming through is ridiculous

Heatwave in the sun here! (Waterford) The amount of shrubs and the like with buds coming through is ridiculous

And to prove that point.
    Here's a picture I took this evening of daffodils about to come out in bloom.:D
    (Forgive the picture. It's a bit dark.):rolleyes:
    2017_01_23_17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    And to prove that point.
    Here's a picture I took this evening of daffodils about to come out in bloom.:D
    (Forgive the picture. It's a bit dark.):rolleyes:
    2017_01_23_17.jpg

They seem to bloom a lot more in cold dry weather. Real sign of spring when they come up. Lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A very beautiful day with endless sunshine after a misty morning.

What's that against the window? Rain? So strange to hear rain after having such a dry period in the depths of Winter. 0.0mm recorded in the last week, rare enough for West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cold and Frosty. I am loving these cold mornings and nights. I want the Atlantic to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strange to hear the wind again here on the Kerry coast, hard to remember such a quite few months.

Windy days coming for Atlantic coasts , picking up on Tues night into Weds and quite windy Weds Night and into Thurs for a time.

fluOt2V.png

FTGFZT1.png

Wind-hurled deluges on the roof up here. ( West Connaght)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Strange to hear the wind again here on the Kerry coast, hard to remember such a quite few months.

Windy days coming for Atlantic coasts , picking up on Tues night into Weds and quite windy Weds Night and into Thurs for a time.

fluOt2V.png

FTGFZT1.png

I think it was around this time last year we had about 3 Atlantic storms in the space of about 2 weeks .. (Gertrude,Henry and Imogen)

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I think it was around this time last year we had about 3 Atlantic storms in the space of about 2 weeks .. (Gertrude,Henry and Imogen)

ALMOST

Gertrude - 29 January
    Henry - 1/2 February
    Imogen - 8/9 February

After a rather cold start (well feeling at least), it has warmed up significantly. In fact, it feels like a Summer day today at Grange :P, it feels that warm in the sun. I remember seeing a similar day in January last year (the 22nd) where it was endless sunshine and 12c, it felt very weird for January.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Coastal counties of Ireland
    Southerly winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 46 km/h during Wednesday. Strongest winds will be at coasts and will peak in the evening.

Southeast winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 56 km/h during Thursday. Strongest winds will be at coasts.

Issued:Tuesday 24 January 2017 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 25 January 2017 06:00 to Thursday 26 January 2017 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Coastal counties of Ireland
    Southerly winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 46 km/h during Wednesday. Strongest winds will be at coasts and will peak in the evening.

Southeast winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 56 km/h during Thursday. Strongest winds will be at coasts.

Issued:Tuesday 24 January 2017 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 25 January 2017 06:00 to Thursday 26 January 2017 12:00

Just seen that and already howling up here. Will be a rough night.

Raining all day in wexford.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The very definition of a soft day on the south coast.

• Advertisement

The very definition of a soft day on the south coast.

A soft day here in Longford too, mostly dry but early mizzle and later in the afternoon too.

Advertisement