Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I was told that there was snow in Ireland this day in 1972, here's a chart from that day, anyone care to explain what this archive chart shows us? Tks 2eex749.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Pangea wrote: »
    I was told that there was snow in Ireland this day in 1972, here's a chart from that day, anyone care to explain what this archive chart shows us? Tks 2eex749.gif

It's a similar setup to 10 days ago when the north and west had snow showers. Nothing major for most areas and low lying areas. Looks like a brief cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Murr is a jinx on snow
    I swear whenever he's on there hope casting,the opposite always happens

**Cough**

He is in a rather confident mood tonight.

Evening All

For those of us who have been here for a long while there is times when you know you have to throw in the towel on chasing cold & times ( very rare ) when you 'just know' that the Cold solution is correct -

Today is one of those rare occasions ( last seen nearly 4 years ago ) when what I see developing in the models & more importantly 'how' its developing gives me near 100% confidence that we will see things panning out close to the ECM -

Lets recollect the last time this happened & pick these 4 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

**Cough**

Evening All

For those of us who have been here for a long while there is times when you know you have to throw in the towel on chasing cold & times ( very rare ) when you 'just know' that the Cold solution is correct -

Today is one of those rare occasions ( last seen nearly 4 years ago ) when what I see developing in the models & more importantly 'how' its developing gives me near 100% confidence that we will see things panning out close to the ECM -

Don't recall snow in 2013? Lovely mild dry weather here, Spring is nearly here, daffodils are 8 cm up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

**Cough**

Evening All

I kind of agree. It is one of these events where I could see further upgrades occurring. It would appear the models are beginning to pick up on some major changes in the medium term. Usually we chase cold from 240/216 and it gets downgraded. Here is it is beginning much earlier (120-168) and on the EC op trend gaining significant momentum. It could be a situation that by Friday we are facing into significant cold spell at T72/T96. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. The 0z EC will be watched with great interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I kind of agree. It is one of these events where I could see further upgrades occurring. It would appear the models are beginning to pick up on some major changes in the medium term. Usually we chase cold from 240/216 and it gets downgraded. Here is it is beginning much earlier (120-168) and on the EC op trend gaining significant momentum. It could be a situation that by Friday we are facing into significant cold spell at T72/T96. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. The 0z EC will be watched with great interest.

That's true it has bucked the trend/theme of this winter in showing the cold at an earlier time frame. It's also worth noting a couple of UKMO employees on twitter have suggested something interesting may transpire in early February due to the ongoing stratospheric warming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Atlantic Seaboard getting a fair share of wind tomorrow and increasing in the evening and overnight into Thurs for a time. Kerry looks very windy Weds evening into early Thurs morning and gets the rain clipping the coast as the front stalls not making much headway. Winds will seem different here in Kerry coming predominately from a S'ly and then Se'ly direction for over 40 hrs.

9IOLC5S.png

yAamC4I.png

xHF4Dxs.png

r72wCBn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

certainly is going to be a windy(and damp) day in the west. Knock TAF giving wind at 170 degrees at 26 knots gusting 40 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

certainly is going to be a windy(and damp) day in the west. Knock TAF giving wind at 170 degrees at 26 knots gusting 40 knots.

Listening to the wind howing around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's not valid until after midnight.

Looks to get progressively windier throughout the day.

• Advertisement

A damp wet morning here in castlebar in strong southerly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some very strong gusts in Kildare this morning. Seems unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

pad199207 wrote: »
    Some very strong gusts in Kildare this morning. Seems unusual

Yes to hear wind today has been strange..its been such a calm winter in comparison to last winter's wind fest'! I'm probably speaking too soon..winter's not over yet!

Yes to hear wind today has been strange..its been such a calm winter in comparison to last winter's wind fest'! I'm probably speaking too soon..winter's not over yet!

Really strong winds up here now. The first full gale in a new place... Strange rattles...Watching clouds skim the mountain tops behind the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really strong winds up here now. The first full gale in a new place... Strange rattles...Watching clouds skim the mountain tops behind the house...

Feels windy here too. Makes us realise how lucky we've been with a lack of serious storms this winter. Looking at all the models it looks like we'll be fortunate to escape a major storm hitting some part, if not all, the island in early February.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Feels windy here too. Makes us realise how lucky we've been with a lack of serious storms this winter. Looking at all the models it looks like we'll be fortunate to escape a major storm hitting some part, if not all, the island in early February.

We shall see.. had a very narrow margin re the snow and ice when I was moving... well stocked up here now....West Connaught, in the lee of heights that awe me.... Just now roaring away.

National Weather Warnings (updated)

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    Update on previous warning.
    South to southeast winds will increase strong to gale force and gusty in coastal counties of Ireland today. These winds will persist overnight and into tomorrow Thursday. Mean winds of 55 to 65 km/h are expected, with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h at times. Winds will be at their strongest overnight and for a time tomorrow, in southwestern, western and northwestern coastal counties.

Issued:Wednesday 25 January 2017 09:00
    Valid:Wednesday 25 January 2017 10:00 to Thursday 26 January 2017 15:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry
    Rain will turn heavy later tonight and will continue through Thursday. 30 to 50 mm of rain are likely over west Cork and over south and west Kerry. Some larger totals are possible on the mountains.

Issued:Wednesday 25 January 2017 12:00
    Valid:Thursday 26 January 2017 06:00 to Friday 27 January 2017 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It may have been windy but it has been another beautiful day here with plenty of sunshine yet again and feeling rather Summer-like despite the wind :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    feeling rather Summer-like despite the wind :p.

I didn't feel anything summer like earlier when out in the strong breeze. I think Dublin AP topped out at 11c and Casement got to 10c....... add another 10c to that and I might just begin contemplating considering it slight summer like.:p

highdef wrote: »
    I didn't feel anything summer like earlier when out in the strong breeze. I think Dublin AP topped out at 11c and Casement got to 10c....... add another 10c to that and I might just begin contemplating considering it slight summer like.:p

The sun made it feel summer-like here. Again, here's that micro climate of mine :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

No rain today, strange, persistent rain was forecasted for here yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Must be close to a drought in the east at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Persistent misty rain for most of the day in Castlebar, gusts have really picked up since 6 also.

kneemos wrote: »

I think I can call it a drought at my area with every month since October drier than normal whilst August & September were very unremarkably wet (only wet overall because of very wet days) and July was very dry. I haven't had such a spell of dry months since 2005/06.

I'm pretty sure it's only a drought if there's no rain, not if there's "less than average".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dry, overcast with a general light breeze containing sudden gusts when it suddenly felt like winter. Looks like the Deise will be all but dry for the rest of the week unless that front makes it this far during Friday

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's only a drought if there's no rain, not if there's "less than average".

That's a MONTHLY DROUGHT. In Ireland, we recorded a severe drought from October 1974 - August 1976. Now do you think there was no rainfall at all during that period :P?

Monthly droughts have occurred in for example (at least one station):

April 2015, September 2014, June 2014, July 2013, March 2012, April 2011.

Anyway, this so far has been the driest Winter on record here with less than 30% of the LTA rainfall so far. February will bring it up to like 70% of how it's looking right now.

The start of February is looking very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JCX BXC wrote: »

No, drought conditions can result from simply less than average rainfall, if it causes shortages in water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kneemos wrote: »
    Today will be the 16th day in a row with 0.2mm or less measured here, so in the south county Dublin area at least we are experiencing an "absolute drought" currently.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Today will be the 16th day in a row with 0.2mm or less measured here, so in the south county Dublin area at least we are experiencing an "absolute drought" currently.

Just 7.8mm here in Dublin 16 so far this January. Last recorded rain was the 13th (and just 0.2mm).

BTW, possibly/probably related to the lack of rain, I think there is a big gorse or forest fire in the Dublin Mountains at the moment. Quite a bit of smoke here.

Edit: A quick Google confirmed the smell! http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-fire-brigade-responding-massive-12508114

Advertisement