Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My mistake, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just 7.8mm here in Dublin 16 so far this January. Last recorded rain was the 13th (and just 0.2mm).

BTW, possibly/probably related to the lack of rain, I think there is a big gorse or forest fire in the Dublin Mountains at the moment. Quite a bit of smoke here.

Edit: A quick Google confirmed the smell! http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-fire-brigade-responding-massive-12508114

Still only 6.2mm at Grange, Dublin 13. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just 7.8mm here in Dublin 16 so far this January. Last recorded rain was the 13th (and just 0.2mm).

BTW, possibly/probably related to the lack of rain, I think there is a big gorse or forest fire in the Dublin Mountains at the moment. Quite a bit of smoke here.

Edit: A quick Google confirmed the smell! http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-fire-brigade-responding-massive-12508114

Jaysus, can smell that over in D7!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Casement is reporting 'smoke haze' at 1900.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy here in Kerry, 10 min avg 35 km/h SSE ( was avg 45 km/h for about an hour just gone). Gust 66 km/h

Small amount of rain at 1.6mm mainly from mist and drizzle.

AsPnxnt.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its been windy more or less all day here with gusts to 60km/h since this afternoon. Southerlies always more potent for us due to lack of land friction to slow them down. Certainly a case of batten down the hatches for the next number of hours

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann saying between 30-50mm rainfall predicted for S and W Kerry and W Cork . Mountains in the SW could could see 80-100mm perhaps. That's a low cloud day for sure here in Kerry.

SIH4DuC.png

Who's Mary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Who's Mary?

Just came on to see if I imagined her saying that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a nice litte goodbye to american actress Mary Tyler Moore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

a nice litte goodbye to american actress Mary Tyler Moore

Just saw that she died:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Who's Mary?

My mom (Mary) was chuffed by the personal shout out :D

To thine own self be true

It was a bit unusual alright, rare you'd see things like that especially on a weather forecast. Johanna does seem to do things differently though.

She did it for Bowie and Prince to . shes great to follow on twitter , very interesting and down to earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Sounds like teeny bopper twaddle to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was a bit unusual alright, rare you'd see things like that especially on a weather forecast. Johanna does seem to do things differently though.

Yeah like give forecasts that are detached from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

For Bowie and Prince you could say ok..they were 'A' level famous stars but Johanna will nearly have to comment on every celeb death after that. She must love her tv, music and film.

Her off the cuff weather presentation is different but at times it does border on the slapdash, unprofessional. It's a thin line between being your quirky self and delivering a service worthy of a national broadcaster.

Having said all that i like her and she's definitely not in the Martin King TV3 annoying stakes.

Speaking of Martin King lol

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Even doh Martin King isnt a trained meteorologist - dam he a good weatherman like the one on this morning in the 90s...Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

nagdefy wrote: »
    For Bowie and Prince you could say ok..they were 'A' level famous stars but Johanna will nearly have to comment on every celeb death after that. She must love her tv, music and film.

Her off the cuff weather presentation is different but at times it does border on the slapdash, unprofessional. It's a thin line between being your quirky self and delivering a service worthy of a national broadcaster.

Having said all that i like her and she's definitely not in the Martin King TV3 annoying stakes.

Mary Tyler Moore was a feminist icon and - as an aside - the last item on the 9 o'clock news right before the weather. The world needs all the feminist icons it can get right now.

Plus, she didn't comment on Bowies death (although I'm sure she was very sad). ;-)

• Advertisement

yes i remember him, didnt he jump around on a floating map?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

yes i remember him, didnt he jump around on a floating map?

Yep...

Says that he's in jail after doing Google there

engol wrote: »
    Mary Tyler Moore was a feminist icon and - as an aside - the last item on the 9 o'clock news right before the weather. The world needs all the feminist icons it can get right now.

Plus, she didn't comment on Bowies death (although I'm sure she was very sad). ;-)

Fair enough :D I'm very disappointed she didn't mention Carrie Fisher though. She's alienating (no pun intended) her weather fan base!

Just had a quick look at Joanna's twitter. Few anti Trump posts.. i suppose we could call her a snowflake;)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

nagdefy wrote: »
    Fair enough :D I'm very disappointed she didn't mention Carrie Fisher though. She's alienating (no pun intended) her weather fan base!

She was on radio that night and signed off the midnight broadcast with "may the force be with you" as a matter of fact

engol wrote: »
    She was on radio that night and signed off the midnight broadcast with "may the force be with you" as a matter of fact

Oh did she, as a matter of fact, no less. Pardon me for not listening to all Joanna's weather forecasts. That's great we're all happy so :D

No rainfall recorded today, and only 1.8mm in the past 7 days. Alot less than I expected! West Clare

Very windy near Tralee with a 10 min avg of 43.5 km/h SSE , recent gust 66 km/h

EDIT; Nudging up towards 70 km/h now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusting at 83 km/h currently in Castlebar, strongest of the night here, would not be surprised to see it stronger though as gusts have became more sustained since midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Such a night up here.. sleep not readily avaiiable...

Just checked the weather and the words WINTRY SHOWERS appear? Saturday that is..

And many areas with heavy rain...

And yes a huge gorse fire ....

Advertisement