Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Southerly winds currently gusting up to 65.5 km/h in Galway city with a 10 min mean of 30.5 km/h
    Highest gust overnight was 70 km/h at 0542hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lumi wrote: »
    Southerly winds currently gusting up to 65.5 km/h in Galway city with a 10 min mean of 30.5 km/h
    Highest gust overnight was 70 km/h at 0542hrs

OUCH! I am not too far away from thee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

By way the windiest morning of the winter so far here is n Donegal Town. Had nearly forgotten that beautiful howling sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very strong gusts here this morning has toppled over large pots and thrown furniture around the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Winter still in full swing here (Southern Poland). Not too much snow since my last update, but its been very cold. We haven't seen temperatures above 0 yet since mid December. Nights have been averaging the minus teens and days -5.
    This morning when I was walking across the town square, it was nice to hear the birds singing away, hopefully they know something that I don't know and Spring is coming!
    Next week is looking warmer, bringing with it 2 weeks of winter school holidays here. So hopefully we will all be on the slopes enjoying ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind still going strong here with regular gusts to 65km/h. Temp 6.1c but wind chill a huge factor today.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very strong gusts here this morning has toppled over large pots and thrown furniture around the garden.

Had to take the gate sign off as it was swinging badly. Opening the front door is fine ( south facing) but getting it closed takes real effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It feels a lot colder today than the snow 'event' a few weeks ago. It's Baltic in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Definitely a wind chill in it today alright. Cloudy here in Castlebar but dry ,in fact good drying in the strong south easterly wind. 7 degrees currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

It feels a lot colder today than the snow 'event' a few weeks ago. It's Baltic in the wind.

Reminds me of a March day from years ago when the sky would be grey and you'd have an east wind spitting snow.

Only of course the wind isn't easterly and it's not March:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

''Tis freezing in that breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's cold, but I just happened to walk the same route today as I did that cold day a few weeks ago and I can say that today is nowhere near as cold that day was.

Hands stayed firmly in the pockets though!

There is shopping still in the car but NO WAY am I venturing out in current conditions! Would get blown back to Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In a county thats not included in the yellow warning yet the gusts have toppled over a metal garden table and sent both half full wheelie bins up the garden.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

From Summer-like yesterday with endless sunshine and feeling warm in the sun to Winter-like today with very strong winds and feeling bitter was a shocking difference.

It probably felt much colder than it did because of how warm yesterday felt like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    From Summer-like yesterday with endless sunshine and feeling warm in the sun to Winter-like today with very strong winds and feeling bitter was a shocking difference.

It probably felt much colder than it did because of how warm yesterday felt like.

Feeling warm in the sun? Some people have such a strange concept of what warm is. Pleasant enough perhaps but I highly doubt it felt warm in the middle of winter.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Feeling warm in the sun? Some people have such a strange concept of what warm is. Pleasant enough perhaps but I highly doubt it felt warm in the middle of winter.

I do not overexaggerate. After all, I did say "feel".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Still cold and frosty here tonight with a bracing south easterly wind. I just hope this displaced vortex or possible later split, due to the second warming, leads to one proper decent snow fall before March.

off topic: I see hotwhiskey has closed his account. He is a good and knowledgeable poster. I hope he comes back under a new username

Still cold and frosty here tonight with a bracing south easterly wind.I just hope this displaced vortex or possible later split, due to the second warming, leads to one proper decent snow fall before March.

And yes Mother Nature, he said "BEFORE" March. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I do not overexaggerate. After all, I did say "feel".

I get your drift and agree, if I can go without a jacket plodding around I'd say its a warm or mild day, lots of those types of days this winter. It doesent have to be hot summery weather to be warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bloody Baltic outside today, which is where I largely was :mad: :pac:

LOUD morning after a loud night.. Bitterly cold again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It is still pouring in Cork City - really heavy stuff now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We'll be (un)lucky to get through next week without an (impressive)intense storm.

We'll be (un)lucky to get through next week without an (impressive)intense storm.

Love the " political", or.rather, considerate, wording.

You mean a named storm? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Very bland winter here in Meath, no rain, moderate wind and definitely not Baltic. Glad to see Cork has rain 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Amazing lack of rainfall here in Dublin 7, given how dark and heavy the clouds have looked the last couple of days, yet I haven't seen even a sprinkle of rain. I'm sure it'll arrive just as I take the baby out of the house.

Blessedly mild and calm now. Enjoyed pottering around the "estate" with the dog watching the clouds climbing the mountains .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The drought ended here today, 17 days long, pretty impressive for any time of year in Ireland.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford City 30 mm of rain this month so far and half of that fell on one day. Just 1.8mm in the last 10 days.

Today after a cloudy start is now lovely.

Advertisement