Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

lots of severe disturbances,windwise poping up on the gfs this morning,for mid to later next week. A Doris,Ewan,fleur maybe visiting.

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like were gonna pay for what has been a mostly dry mid September - end of January. Unfortunately I think this is where I throw in the towel for winter in terms of cold, snowy easterly's. After the 3rd week of February it's time to stop gazing into FI looking for a deep easterly.

Any snow that falls over the coming weeks will be from the north-west and we all know how that pans out. Very unsettled February ahead with the Atlantic very firmly in charge bringing mostly mild, windy and wet conditons but some short, cold north-westerly events as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Supercell wrote: »
    The drought ended here today, 17 days long, pretty impressive for any time of year in Ireland.

And especially a Winter month like January. Januaries recently have been pretty unsettled. The last dry January across the whole of Ireland was back in 2011.

Only 0.1mm today so far but a lot of cloud here.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

lots of severe disturbances,windwise poping up on the gfs this morning,for mid to later next week. A Doris,Ewan,fleur maybe visiting.

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

Did I miss Conor??.......& it my grandsons name tut, tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

lots of severe disturbances,windwise poping up on the gfs this morning,for mid to later next week.

ukgust.png
    I don't like the look of that one for wexford.
    Darwin will never be forgotten in this part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

latest 12z gfs charts is bringing the severest of the winds in these systems to the southern portion of the country.

In case anyone missed it.
    There's a new version of www.windytv.com out now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Just been talking to a neighbour and he said he heard there was a huge storm coming next week. I check on here and sure enough there's talk of very windy weather mid week.... as another neighbour said to me the other day... 'wait yet, we'll pay for this great weather'.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    In case anyone missed it.
    There's a new version of www.windytv.com out now.:)

I don't think this new version is as good as the last one.
    The last one was just about the wind really and the animation moved about every hour.
    Now this new one, it takes a 3 hour step for the animation to move.
    A lot can happen in the space of 3 hours.
    Kind of disappointed.:rolleyes:
    ( I think they ruined it).

The next 10 days could definitely see some flooding. 100mm is expected to hit some western regions in those 10 days. It will be quite a huge shock to the system given this Winter so far. Even eastern regions can expect 40-60mm in the next 10 days it looks like.

February 2017 is looking a lot like February 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've gotten more rain today than the past 2 days before today combined.

5.4mm today, only 4.8mm the past two days before that combined.

Only 51mm now for the month of January, very unusually dry, especially when it seems that large parts of the west aren't as dry as here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lot of showers here in Tralee today from tall convective cloud and the rain feeling very icy. Could see some white on the mountain tops before dark. Some low uppers at -2C tonight and -6C later with wintry precipitation showing up on the charts for the SW overnight could see some white mountain tops tomorrow morning ( maybe for the Wicklow Mountains also ? ).

sHzSFXw.png

eIeFIhj.png

eo60PdZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

i was wondering why mayo co co were gritting this evening at 6pm and it 7 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

This date 4 years ago we were hit with some 'Ninja Snow' at home:)
    601302_10151433763410908_542137912_n.jpg?oh=2f36c9a1216d0915c7b29cbfa0d25071&oe=594BAADD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ninja snow potential for high ground areas of Wicklow later if convection fires off.

nmm_uk1-1-12-0_cic9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lots of showers around here and over the mountains currently, could be tobogganing in the mountains tomorrow morning hopefully!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Looking like tomorrow could be a very miserable day in the east and that my rainfall total for January so far of 6.3mm will really tot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ninja snow potential for high ground areas of Wicklow later if convection fires off.
    There's already been a small amount up there, it was snowing as we arrived back at the car up at Pier Gates above Lugalla at about 4.30 and driving back to Bray it looked as if Djouce had a light dusting on it. Had a couple of very brief hail showers on the hills too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Caught sight of a magnificent rainbow yesterday,dramatic against dark mountains..has been so changeable...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

MT's forecast not as severe in terms of a significant wind event later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, models have been struggling to show any consistency with wind events next week. The first system arrives early Thursday but stalls west of Ireland and spawns a secondary low. The GFS has this latter low moving up over Ireland Friday night into Saturday giving some pretty severe winds in places, while the European model has it further south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible dank wet dreary Jan morning here after a lovely bright sunny day yesterday. Met Eireann not mentioning anything about any significant storms next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Horrible dank wet dreary Jan morning here after a lovely bright sunny day yesterday. Met Eireann not mentioning anything about any significant storms next week.

Plenty of hard frost here in Meath and nice day in Dublin. No rain in days, happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The council were salting roads here yesterday evening anticipating frost, it's a wet and dark morning here now in Co Wexford.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Every ENSO neutral Spring since 1879 besides 1960, 1984 and 2004 was unsettled and cold. Not a good sign for this Spring!

Nevertheless, the models are going for this Spring to be one of those exceptions. They're showing a warm and slightly drier than average Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

A cold frosty start here on the Longford, Cavan border with a lovely white frost. Its now been replaced with cloud cover and an increase in temperature which has seen a quick thaw and the gloom of impending rain sweep across us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fiskar wrote: »
    Plenty of hard frost here in Meath and nice day in Dublin. No rain in days, happy out.

It's coming!

It's coming!

Yep, lashing right now here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

It's coming!

Save it for Cork and Kerry as we is quite fine with this weather :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Darwin wrote: »
    Yes, models have been struggling to show any consistency with wind events next week. The first system arrives early Thursday but stalls west of Ireland and spawns a secondary low. The GFS has this latter low moving up over Ireland Friday night into Saturday giving some pretty severe winds in places, while the European model has it further south.

Met Eireanns forecast...

WEDNESDAY: A spell of wet and breezy weather is likely to occur on Wednesday, but the exact timing still uncertain. Turning cooler, with highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees.

THURSDAY: Currently looking very wet and windy, as a steering low begins to move up from the mid-Atlantic. Surface flooding possible especially in the south. Milder in a southerly flow though, with afternoon maxima generally rising to 10 or 11 degrees.

Changeable and cooler thereafter.

From Looking at the models the last few days it would seem ( just my opinion ) to me that the first of the strong winds ( probably Gales and Strong Gales ) will arrive on the SW coast Weds evening and spread across the country overnight with the strongest winds on the coastal counties and then the E coasts getting strong winds Thurs morning. After that it would appear that a second round of winds could arrive in the afternoon up along the Atlantic Seaboard.

To Note Models are differing on this even at this stage.

Mqx5yPL.png

EoQiy2i.png

ZN6Z3Wa.png

Advertisement