Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

lhQotV2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Not much rain at all here in north meath, it was mostly light and patchy, sun is out now, nowhere near the 10-20mm i seen we could get

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Only 4.4mm recorded here in West Clare, and despite drizzle all day at Shannon it's been mostly dry since about 12pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just 2.6mm here in Galway city. A dark, drizzly dreary day overall and dead calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp and drizzly here in Castlebar. Fog affecting flights up the road at Knock today with Liverpool and Birmingham flight diverted and a Gatwick flight cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Breezy tomorrow and looking like getting very mild in the SW with temperatures rising across most of the country as the day goes on.

Models showing up to 11 -12C on avg tomorrow. The WRF showing getting up to 14C around Limerick and Clare (will be interesting to see which is the most accurate).

Rainfall amounts on avg 5 to 15mm tomorrow, the SE to me looks like getting the most rainfall in the next couple of days ( models showing up to 52mm by Tues night).

diYsFYb.png

Cg5Mo0C.png

pywKd8c.png

I'll update you tomorrow on what the temperature gets to!

Could be the warmest January temperature ever recorded at Shannon Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mild with wind rising audibly up here. Found primroses in flower yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Noticeably mild this morning dull but its getting a little brighter each day. January has been a remarkable mild month really and made a mockery of a lot of long range forecasters.I've a feeling we're not going to be so lucky with Feb which could be a wet and windy affair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Noticeably mild this morning dull but its getting a little brighter each day. January has been a remarkable mild month really and made a mockery of a lot of long range forecasters.I've a feeling we're not going to be so lucky with Feb which could be a wet and windy affair.

Had to take off gloves and hat this morning cycling in to work in Dublin, too warm. We just have one big messy season for the year now really! Snow/ice etc is more a freak occurrence rather than typical winter weather, I'm sure when I was in school there were always long periods of hard grass from being frozen every morning.

• Advertisement

Had to take off gloves and hat this morning cycling in to work in Dublin, too warm. We just have one big messy season for the year now really! Snow/ice etc is more a freak occurrence rather than typical winter weather, I'm sure when I was in school there were always long periods of hard grass from being frozen every morning.

"Age and forgetfulness sweeten memory." ( T. S Eliot)

And the party is far from over..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was never expecting February to be a cold month. I was always expecting it to be wet, windy and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I was never expecting February to be a cold month. I was always expecting it to be wet, windy and mild.

Well, hopefully by mid month it will start to get cold:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I've a lot of memories of Valentine's Day in the 80s with icicles hanging off the roofs of out houses and also just outside the home windows. They were the old timber framed single paned windows that had lovely frost patterns on the inside when you'd get up in the morning. 1986 seems to be my last memory of an ice day with such conditions under a blue sunny sky.

The other last icy day on Valentines i remember was 1994. It was grey and spitting snow with a bitter easterly wind. Snow fell that night and into the 15th February. I made my way from Carlow to Dublin (back to college) by train on 16th February and there was plenty of lying snow around gardens and parks in Dublin. The second half of that February was particularly cold. It snowed from 12pm to 6pm in Dublin on the 23rd February with the rugby pitch in TCD, where i was studying, white with snow.

Valentine's 1996 was also very cold with temperatures down to -5C that night i remember returning from some Ball.

It would be nice to get a wintry kick around mid February, for many people the last chance to get lying snow in the day and night time before the sun gets stronger and the days get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

12z GFS has a nasty LP running up the Irish sea on Friday. These small LPs seem hard to model though, even at t+96. It wasn't there on the 06z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

arctictree wrote: »
    12z GFS has a nasty LP running up the Irish sea on Friday. These small LPs seem hard to model though, even at t+96. It wasn't there on the 06z.

On to Sunday and it's looking a little worse wind wise than earlier runs.

gfs-0-138.png?12

Though the worst of the wind is on the southern flank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

nagdefy wrote: »
    On to Sunday and it's looking a little worse wind wise than earlier runs.

gfs-0-138.png?12

Though the worst of the wind is on the southern flank.

Worse or better? :P

Well, hopefully by mid month it will start to get cold:)

I don't see it happening. I bet we will end up on the wrong side of the blocking bringing more of this mild and dry bland weather we have had during much of this Winter.

Rain has cleared now near Tralee, 9.6C and the light wind has backed to the WNW . Can see the crescent moon between the cloud.

3.8mm so far .

Got a high of 14.2C here today, the highest temp I could see elsewhere is Kerry airport rounded to 13C and Sherkin at 12.8C.

Can get a fohn effect here with the wind from the S or SE sweeping over and down the mountains before it reaches here on the coast. Will check against Ardfert , Liscahane Climatological Station when data is released.

ezwXxqd.png?1

Max of 12.9c here.

• Advertisement

Big storm forming out in the Atlantic. By the time it reaches near our shores it has decreased in strength and becomes flabby and begins loosing it's shape, as Iancar29 said the East coast looks like getting a good bit of wind during Thurs ( Gales/ Strong Gales looks to me ). Looks like we could be getting a fair shot of rain and especially Fri as the system stalls off the coast before it is replaced by the next one ! I saw some rain predictions that the S and SE could be getting accumulations of about 100mm from here to next Mon with about 70mm of that falling between Fri and Mon. Hard to put exact figures on it but looking very wet over the weekend .

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/826145072374743040

X9MA549.png?1

RiWqht8.png

ogTvKOv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I don't see it happening. I bet we will end up on the wrong side of the blocking bringing more of this mild and dry bland weather we have had during much of this Winter.

Yes please I'll have more of that

Only 3.2mm of rain recorded here today.

I'd think there was something wrong with my rainfall counter if all the other stations around me weren't getting so little as well.

Is there sudden changes of forecasted rain lately or what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I fear you maybe right, but one thing i noticed is the GEM model has some nice eye candy, this model has done well this year when others were leading us up the garden path.

Anyway I am expecting nothing until i see the chart below showing at 24 hours away

GFSOPEU18_360_1.png.6b4c940b94818e26be92e83d62a6bde2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

Glad of a well defined lull today to go out and stock up. The wind has dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

"Love is all around" this morning here. Very mild though.

All hopes for a tri-pole in the Atlantic in May! Hopefully this cold blob in the Norh Atlantic will get lost and feck off. One big reason why we haven't seen a cold Winter is because we didn't see a tri-pole last May, that cold blob is absolutely annoying.

Storm threat much lessened for the weekend along with a chance that the heavy rain predicted for Fri may mostly stay off the S coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Getting a boat to Holyhead tomorrow and back on Thursday 2.30am - 6.30! looks like it could be bumpy. I get motion sickness when there are small waves, so should be fun!

Advertisement