Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very windy here last night, I would like to think that's it for another winter but unfortunately wind events don't have the rarity of cold events in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Last night was an abomination up here....temper tantrums in full celestial throes. Suddenly gone very quiet thankfully.
    Kids off to school so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

nagdefy wrote: »
    On the subject of winter weather here's a pdf from the Leinster Express on the Night of the Big Wind 6th January 1839 in Dublin and around Ireland. It's a clip from a January 1839 edition. Column entitled The Late Storm. Serious storm!!

P.s. You can zoom in the bottom right corner to make the text larger.

Imagine if a storm of this strength hit today.. The damage would still be huge. The chat on here, can you imagine:)

When roofs of buildings as solid as churches are blown away it gives an idea of the strength of the wind. Many very well built solid estate houses were damaged or left roof less throughout the country. A man walking near Sackville (O'Connell) street being blown off his feet and smashed against a wall with his leg fractured in a horrendous fashion, several lives lost in Galway from roofs and chimneys collapsing, fronts of buildings without a single pane of glass, a portion of the wall of the Botanic Gardens collapsing and killing a policeman, in Longford town alone the damage to property was £7,000 which, i found on a conversion website, roughly equates to 20 million pounds sterling today..

Just a few of the items mentioned in the article. Would love to see the synoptics and evolution of that storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Imagine if a storm of this strength hit today.. The damage would still be huge. The chat on here, can you imagine:)

When roofs of buildings as solid as churches are blown away it gives an idea of the strength of the wind. Many very well built solid estate houses were damaged or left roof less throughout the country. A man walking near Sackville (O'Connell) street being blown off his feet and smashed against a wall with his leg fractured in a horrendous fashion, several lives lost in Galway from roofs and chimneys collapsing, fronts of buildings without a single pane of glass, a portion of the wall of the Botanic Gardens collapsing and killing a policeman, in Longford town alone the damage to property was £7,000 which, i found on a conversion website, roughly equates to 20 million pounds sterling today..

Just a few of the items mentioned in the article. Would love to see the synoptics and evolution of that storm.

When I lived on an Outer Northern Orkney Island, the winds were horrific. The day after , you would see great boulders that had been literally blown across fields. A neighbour;s hen house just took off.. The worst was recording gusts of 124 MILES per hour. I had livestock and was out feeding them clinging to anything solid. You felt as if the skin was being flayed off your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy rain here Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

gerrybhoy wrote:
    Kids off to school so

At 4 am! What kind of school do you send your kids to???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Netweather Weather Radar is showing snow over the Wicklow mountains, I'd say Sally's Gap is a nice place to be at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

red_bairn wrote: »
    Long walk for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Would love to see the synoptics and evolution of that storm.

There's a good summary here that says it was a 918mb low, doesn't get much lower than that in the North Atlantic.

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/climate-of-ireland/historic-weather-events/night-of-the-big-wind/

I don't think there's anything comparable in the modern era, the most severe storm I've experienced was the Stephens Day 98 storm living on the North coast of Donegal yet that only had central pressure of around 945mb so nowhere near as deep

• Advertisement

There's a good summary here that says it was a 918mb low, doesn't get much lower than that in the North Atlantic.

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/climate-of-ireland/historic-weather-events/night-of-the-big-wind/

I don't think there's anything comparable in the modern era, the most severe storm I've experienced was the Stephens Day 98 storm living on the North coast of Donegal yet that only had central pressure of around 945mb so nowhere near as deep

Thanks for that Donegal Storm. Really interesting.

From Donegal Storm's posted article. Jaysus!!

'Carrickfergus: Tree in graveyard uprooted forcing many of the dead to the surface.'

I'm sure it being the Epiphany, 6th January, when many believed like at Samhain this world and the next were closer, the poor people must have thought it was the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Radar suggesting snow is falling on high ground in Wicklow currently. Id say it would be above 500m

408231.jpg

Lets hope the trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperatures are falling seemingly, Dublin Airport has fallen from 7c to 5c in the past hour and a half, and the dew point is now 3c there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a nice bright calm morning here in Tralee. Recent shower with a bit of sleet in it dropped the temp from 7C to 5C going by the car.

Bright and clear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very slow drop in temperatures here. The sky does have that snowy look to it

Just been a walk round the "estate". Incredibly calm and clear and still. Cool, with no wind no real chill. met ie speaks of showers tonight, some of sleet and snow and i can well believe that.Just had that "feeling" all week.. I know; unscientific ... But I was right last time. When I arrived here there was snow on the tops behind the house. House here is around 400 ft asl. The mountains right behind at least 650 METRES.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Air temperatures beginning to fall slowly in east in moderate precipitation. Wouldn't think any snow is falling below 500m at present. Need some heavier returns to push in off Irish Sea.

Sleet/Snow risk looks set to increase from 5-6pm as winds begin to move off the land.

If we can get the really intense band in the Irish Sea onshore it could get interesting.

red_bairn wrote: »

Nightschool?

Air temperatures beginning to fall slowly in east in moderate precipitation. Wouldn't think any snow is falling below 500m at present. Need some heavier returns to push in off Irish Sea.

Sleet/Snow risk looks set to increase from 5-6pm as winds begin to move off the land.

If we can get the really intense band in the Irish Sea onshore it could get interesting.

Sheep owning neighbours who usually only come in the mornings seem to be up here; heard the dog!!! They live way down in the valley....This is getting rather exciting!!! Will be utterly glorious up here if it really snows..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Graces7 wrote: »
    The mountains right behind at least 650 METRES.

What range is that Graces7?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sky towards the mountains has taken on a brownish hue - its definitely snowing up there, levels are dropping too, temps steadily falling here though not expecting anything at my locations height.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the main rain is going to stay over the Irish sea and Wales, only drizzle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »

Not here, it's been pouring all day. Worst day since April 11th of last year for sure.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not here, it's been pouring all day. Worst day since April 11th of last year for sure.

yesterday was a far worse day here, very heavy showers and high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.6c here with light rain. Some sleet in the heavier bursts. Very slow temp drop. I'd say the higher mountains are plastered as this is frontal precip, not just showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »

Dublin 3 lashing

clearance showing up here now. Can see orange clouds to my very far west. Just the odd spot of drizzle here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Djouce has a fair covering, down to a lower level than I was expecting - White Hill was, eh, white!

Scarr only has a bit at the peak. The Roads would suggest much heavier rain over towards Djouce though.

• Advertisement

gfs-1-192.png?12

This GFS 192h picture just about sums up where projected hopes of February cold have ended up (with the odd exception) since 1991:(

Advertisement