Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very conservative forecast so far from both Met Eireann and BBC with mostly dry weather and temps of 4-7C throughout the UK and Ireland through next weekend and into the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quite a sudden and marked increase in wind here in east Galway over the last 20 mins or so and gusting near 40 kt. Not what I was expecting from the forecast which had winds easing after the front cleared?. :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like a change in wind direction (from SE to SW) - have a look at the met.ie short range wind forecast will give you a rough idea when things will calm down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Met eireann has mentioned nothing regarding snow on breaking news.ie

Said, stormy earlier this morning but heading towards Iceland. Afternoon clearer and clear skies

Frost later overnight

Looks like boards are incorrect regarding the snow on this occasion

May be me; I mentioned that MT has several references long range of wintry showers, as he does... :rolleyes: Not snow though!

Blessed that I have seen these mountains in winter glory twice now in my first month here...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A great day to follow this account. Pity no live webcam too!

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/828618664173830147

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Gonzo wrote: »
    very conservative forecast so far from both Met Eireann and BBC with mostly dry weather and temps of 4-7C throughout the UK and Ireland through next weekend and into the following week.
    I think the fact the ECM operational is not currently showing the sort of cold air-flow progged on the GFS and GFS ensembles would be reason enough for such caution. Tonight's 12z run may illuminate things further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have you seen MT's forecast? Plenty of mention of wintry showers there.

For a day or two. He's not over egging this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

13mm of Rainfall today here near Tralee. Highest Gust 76km/h. Good sunshine in the early afternoon got the temp up to 14.1C

sNg1loG.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous day here in general. Wet all day, dark, cold for much of the day, mild now but with downpours. Easily the worst day of 2017 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

horrendous day here in general. Wet all day, dark, cold for much of the day, mild now but with downpours. Easily the worst day of 2017 so far.

Yeah, worse than Friday just gone here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

We had two spells of heavy persistent rain here today in Longford, first one started just at dawn and it was wind driven and feeling very cold at just 2.5 degrees. It cleared up around 10:30 and stayed dry till around midday an then it lashed again till about 3:30 also feeling very cold.
    Its cleared to squally showers now and temps have risen to 7.5.
    Overall just a disgusting day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

And let's be honest probably right.

And let's be honest probably right.

Not bad by any means. I love it. More bland weather. Woohoo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lovely chart this evening at 96 hours from the ECMWF....

Very cold air aloft and at surface... light easterly flow developing...Some light snow flurries would begin to pepper east coast...

ECM0-96.GIF

A fine 144hr chart. Cold uppers beginning to moderate a little but certainly still of snow at this point with surface cold still there... Some modification by 168hrs is likely with the showers probably turning more to a hail/rain mix by then...but a long way to go!

I'll happily take a 72hr window for snow showers.

ECM1-144.GIF

really hope that doesn't happen, that's the ultimate kick in the teeth for snow lovers in Ireland.

I remember the 18th of January 2013 very well. It was lashing here with 32.4mm of rainfall recorded during the day. Meanwhile, in parts of the UK, it was like 20-30cm of snowfall.

Just a week after on the exact same day of the week (Friday), the 25th of January, I recorded 22.6mm and the UK recorded again 5-15cm of snowfall.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I remember the 18th of January 2013 very well. It was lashing here with 32.4mm of rainfall recorded during the day. Meanwhile, in parts of the UK, it was like 20-30cm of snowfall.

Just a week after on the exact same day of the week (Friday), the 25th of January, I recorded 22.6mm and the UK recorded again 5-15cm of snowfall.

I've lived through countless memories of the above since the 80's. There is nothing more annoying than the UK getting pasted while we are greeted with dark skies, cold, cold rain, mist, wind and muck.

These next 2 to 3 weeks are vital to the saving of this Winter or its curtains for the 7th year in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I've lived through countless memories of the above since the 80's. There is nothing more annoying than the UK getting pasted while we are greeted with dark skies, cold, cold rain, mist, wind and muck.

What about them getting blue skies and sunshine with temperatures in the 30's?

Same met sit at the end of the day.

I don't understand why this message hasn't gotten through on here. You all seem so knowledgeable about the simple constructs of the weather. Is it that "you" love snow THAT much that you can't or wont see? We don't have the same climate as the UK. End of Story.

engol wrote: »
    What about them getting blue skies and sunshine with temperatures in the 30's?

Same met sit at the end of the day.

I don't understand why this message hasn't gotten through on here. You all seem so knowledgeable about the simple constructs of the weather. Is it that "you" love snow THAT much that you can't or wont see? We don't have the same climate as the UK. End of Story.

Yeah, we're too pessimistic and hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yeah, we're too optimistic and hopeful.

I'd infact say the opposite, we are much too pessimistic. There is nothing wrong with hoping for snowy weather, the problem I see is when people throw all their toys out of the pram when out climate does what it usually does.

y21c6Ik.png

Here's a typical photo from the UK in Wales during said blizzards on 18 January 2013.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd infact say the opposite, we are much too pessimistic. There is nothing wrong with hoping for snowy weather, the problem I see is when people throw all their toys out of the pram when out climate does what it usually does.

EDIT :D

JCX BXC wrote: »

I think part of that reason is people get annoyed because we get so close to those blizzards in the winter and stunning heatwaves in the summer, yet the majority of the time can't make it the extra 100 km across the Irish sea.

When it does work out for us, it's stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It was even closer than that. Parts of the North were absolutely pasted in March 2013, football matches were called off in Belfast and there were snow drifts in the Antrim Glens. You wouldn't have even known there was a cold spell down in Dublin in the lashing rain.

Winter weather can be really knife-edge at times.

The rarity of snow and difficulty in forecasting it is what drives the obsession. Not much beats a chunky snow shower landing on shore from the Irish Sea, ala 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

These next 2 to 3 weeks are vital to the saving of this Winter or its curtains for the 7th year in a row.

2013 was an ok winter in terms of cold no?

I think part of that reason is people get annoyed because we get so close to those blizzards in the winter and stunning heatwaves in the summer, yet the majority of the time can't make it the extra 100 km across the Irish sea.

When it does work out for us, it's stunning.

That's the key issue with our climate. It ties in with how unpredictable weather forecasting is beyond a few days at best. In more continental climates such as those of North America or Eastern Europe weather patterns can remain the same for hundreds of miles and are usually fairly easy to predict.

But then the haphazardness of such a climate is what makes it interesting. Sure haven't Irish people built a civilisation on talking about the weather. :P

MidMan25 wrote: »
    2013 was an ok winter in terms of cold no?

Snow-wise it was fairly disappointing, outside of the odd flurry or bit of snizzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The Sun has said a polar vortex is due to hit the uk and parts of Ireland, but you know yourself how the multiply the issue times ten to get a click

Advertisement