Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The Sun has said a polar vortex is due to hit the uk and parts of Ireland, but you know yourself how the multiply the issue times ten to get a click

A "polar vortex". Such drama :rolleyes: I recall reading about a "swirling polar vortex" previously. What else can a vortex do but swirl?!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The Sun has said a polar vortex is due to hit the uk and parts of Ireland, but you know yourself how the multiply the issue times ten to get a click

You lost me at 'The Sun'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I remember the 18th of January 2013 very well. It was lashing here with 32.4mm of rainfall recorded during the day. Meanwhile, in parts of the UK, it was like 20-30cm of snowfall.

I got snow then in Dublin 16. I just checked back on my facebook photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

horsefarm wrote: »
    I got snow then in Dublin 16. I just checked back on my facebook photos!

Aren't you jammy? :P

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Aren't you jammy? :P

I'll say in my gloaty/irritating voice "oh see I live high up" :pac:

• Advertisement

But in all seriousness, I've literally JUST sold off all my horses winter rugs because they werent getting much use and they were annoying me in the way. So this means we're pretty much guaranteed beast from the east and all my horses will freeze to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

horsefarm wrote:
    But in all seriousness, I've literally JUST sold off all my horses winter rugs because they werent getting much use and they were annoying me in the way. So this means we're pretty much guaranteed beast from the east and all my horses will freeze to death

I wouldn't worry. Apart from some big standard cold weather this weekend it's not looking like any beast from the east next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry. Apart from some big standard cold weather this weekend it's not looking like any beast from the east next week.

This weekend is looking increasingly potent every model run, I wouldn't write it off as bog standard at all especially this far out.

Next week is anybody's guess. A beast from the east seems as likely as any other scenario.

-8 uppers at less than 100 hours out. It might be time to go on alert.....

gfs-1-96_mab8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

13.8mm final rain figure for today here in West Clare, highest rainfall yet this year, beating the previous rainfall figure by over double.

Thread now open for cold snap coming from Thursday for anyone who's not aware :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

horsefarm wrote: »

There are ponies at the bottom of the mountain here, often loose on the track and when it is cold they wear coats. Fine critters...two white ones especially.

Blessedly calm here. Cold but no stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Heaviest rain I've ever witnessed in all my life at approx 1.50am in East Meath. Anyone in the area record the rate? House alarms flying etc.

Thudding showers here from time to time..

That was a surprise.... The last few showers were evidently snow. Snowline lower and nearer on the mountains than before. The mountains are on three sides of the cottage and the northerly ones are deepest.

Did not think they were forecast for here today? West Co Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was a surprise.... The last few showers were evidently snow. Snowline lower and nearer on the mountains than before. The mountains are on three sides of the cottage and the northerly ones are deepest.

Did not think they were forecast for here today? West Co Galway

MTC said something there in his forecast this morning.

red_bairn wrote: »
    MTC said something there in his forecast this morning.

So he did! I think they were rather earlier than he expected and Connaught gets little mention elsewhere,, ah well, delighted to see it anyways... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Graces7 wrote: »
    So he did! I think they were rather earlier than he expected and Connaught gets little mention elsewhere,, ah well, delighted to see it anyways... ;)

No
    What you're seeing are the normal Atlantic wintry on high ground showers synonymous with being north of the southern arm of the jet stream as we are
    Those are mainly wintry at night/early morning and are unrelated to the imminent push of polar continental easterlies
    The latter are a much much colder entirely different beast
    Believe me you'll know all about it when those land

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Heaviest rain I've ever witnessed in all my life at approx 1.50am in East Meath. Anyone in the area record the rate? House alarms flying etc.

the rain woke us all up, the noise of it hitting the roof. Yesterday and last night easily the wettest spell we've had in 6 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Off topic posts removed, please see forum Charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The cold has arrived back here in Southern Poland. Its got colder as the day has gone on. Currently -9 with constant "Snizzle" with high pressure dominating at 1013mb.
    Recently the lovely winter sun has got higher and stronger and had started to melt the laying snow (Since October).
    We are getting to the end of the Coal and Wood in the basement that's been supplying us (Solid fuel heating system), So if this long hard cold winter doesn't break soon then i will have to fetch more wood from around the back of the barn that is ready to burn.
    I've a funny feeling this winter will go on until end of March.
    But saying that, my Tomato seedlings on the window sill have now reached about 5cm, But my Pepper and Chilli seeds haven't yet germinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

What a change from yesterday here.
    Out at 7:30 this morning, could see fine without lighting up the yard, a dry chilly start and it continued as such all day, got some clear sunshine late afternoon and while tending to a few horses I had to ditch my old Longford GAA jacket as I could find myself starting to sweat underneath it, a supposedly waterproof O Neill's yoke with a light inner lining. Working till near 6pm without lights, I think the heart of the dreaded short days is broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No
    What you're seeing are the normal Atlantic wintry on high ground showers synonymous with being north of the southern arm of the jet stream as we are
    Those are mainly wintry at night/early morning and are unrelated to the imminent push of polar continental easterlies
    The latter are a much much colder entirely different beast
    Believe me you'll know all about it when those land
    I really wish there wouldn't be this dismissal of some weather events because few experience it or whatever the reason.

There's nothing inherently colder about a polar maritime airmass with -10 Celsius uppers and a polar continental airmass of the same temperature. Lower dewpoints possibly? Either way, we get both kinds of airmass except a 2cm graupel shower falling on New Year's Eve in Dublin will get much more attention and posts here than the same shower to the north of Castlebar.

If your point is just that those reported showers are not resulting from the predicted easterly, then fair enough :)

echoing from other thread.. up in the night and the mountains the cottage seem in the bright chill moonlight to be whitened.

Heard showers earler so that was snow?

Learning the new place and its habits....

No out if so ; small car and narrow lane and a sheer drop on one side.

Bitterly cold and utterly still

West Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rougies wrote: »
    This weekend is looking increasingly potent every model run, I wouldn't write it off as bog standard at all especially this far out.

Next week is anybody's guess. A beast from the east seems as likely as any other scenario.

Looking at wetterzentral it appears that this will be a 8-10 day event (admittedly this means into F1 a bit) as the airflow turns southerly and we get 12/13c type temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking forward to the beast breaking the Atlantic runs for a change. However the Atlantic is trying its best to spill cloud on the party as per latest sat24 image. Maybe mist n drizzle too along Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Well that's me out of here for this winter. This latest disappointment is the straw that broke the camel's back. More important and fruitful ways to spend my time than non stop fantasy island hype over snow that never materilaises. Until next winter... goodbye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pauldry wrote: »
    Looking forward to the beast breaking the Atlantic runs for a change. However the Atlantic is trying its best to spill cloud on the party as per latest sat24 image. Maybe mist n drizzle too along Atlantic.

Recent showers here in Tralee and the car has been glazing up since about 20.00 , doesn't look like it will dip below zero here for long if at all but the roads could be fairly dodgy a bit in from the coast tomorrow morning where it has clear skies. Yes it is nice to get a break from the Atlantic although this has been one of the calmest Winters I can remember.

Currently 1.8C

Edit 1.3C

rXyHMoZ.png

So changeable. Cloud cover has raised the temp slightly so aiming out as planned.

Will see what like it is in half an hour.

But all that lovely moonlight vanished .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Severe frost here last night with a new minimum temperature for this Winter of -4.8c.

Advertisement