Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just told my new postman it might snow and the look of sheer horror on the poor man's face! He says the road up here is like driving on the surface of Mars, so in snow? ;)

I had to go to the gate and the wind is like an icy knife .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some pictures from Southern Poland today. I love the white trees that have been iced over by freezing mist/fog.

Cold day here, infact a bitter day. -10 Currently.

408810.JPG

408809.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Soon coming to the Wicklow mountains!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I hear of all these other maritime areas Vancouver island, Britain, south Chile etc... They're all snowed in and we can't get a mm of snow. I hate them Canadians and Brits lucky basta*** . Why can't we get at least SOME snow? Even a damn inch? F**k sake! We're not lucky at all here, we're cursed and we're long overdue 10 foot of snow here. Why don't they geographically engineer a blizzard over Ireland for the next few months, heck I'd even like if we got a snowy summer. So tired of this stupid mild sh**.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why can't we get at least SOME snow? Even a damn inch?

The Atlantic and the gulfstream therein. Every few decades it gets cut off and we get 2010/11 situations. Get a sledge for 2025.

@Larbre34 haha I don't think I'll be in the country by that time, I will have moved completely to Northern Quebec by then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Winter 2016-17 model watching summed up in emojis:

:) -> :D -> :confused: -> :eek: -> :mad: -> :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

In Edinburgh until tomorrow night, with a bit of luck I might see some snow before I head back to Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Is there a page set up for the coming cold snap?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is there a page set up for the coming cold snap?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057702901

There's 12 pages...so far...and not a flake yet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Talks abound online about a potential 'wintercane' hitting the East coast of the US/Canada Sunday into Monday.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_14.png
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I hear of all these other maritime areas Vancouver island, Britain, south Chile etc... They're all snowed in and we can't get a mm of snow. I hate them Canadians and Brits lucky basta*** . Why can't we get at least SOME snow? Even a damn inch? F**k sake! We're not lucky at all here, we're cursed and we're long overdue 10 foot of snow here. Why don't they geographically engineer a blizzard over Ireland for the next few months, heck I'd even like if we got a snowy summer. So tired of this stupid mild sh**.

Nope.. just in the wrong country. Well, I have been in Co Galway a month now and seen the mountains snowy three times.... was not expecting that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

A few white grains fell on us here today, not sure if it was snow or someone flushing the toilet on a jet, but anyway, I'm telling everyone we had snow today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Atlantic and the gulfstream therein. Every few decades it gets cut off and we get 2010/11 situations. Get a sledge for 2025.

Its not the Atlantic and the gulf stream, its the prevailing wind. A switch to N or E and we would have prolonged snowy winters. Like the short spell in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MidMan25 wrote: »
    In Edinburgh until tomorrow night, with a bit of luck I might see some snow before I head back to Cork!

Got all sorts today, snow, grauple, sleety rain. Only a small bit accumulated on sheltered grassy areas though!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nope.. just in the wrong country. Well, I have been in Co Galway a month now and seen the mountains snowy three times.... was not expecting that !

I live near the wicklow mountains and they get much more snow than mountains in galway. However I like most other people in Ireland live in a low lying area and there's hardly ever snow. It's just sad that you have to go up mountains to see a flake of snow. Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I live near the wicklow mountains and they get much more snow than mountains in galway. However I like most other people in Ireland live in a low lying area and there's hardly ever snow. It's just sad that you have to go up mountains to see a flake of snow. Pathetic!

Move so.

Ireland is a pretty much safe country when it comes to weather.

And alot of the UK haven't seen snow this year

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Do you get much snow under your bridge ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

So much for a clear night to see the full moon eclipse. There is heavy cloud cover here in Sandyford below 3 rock - high cloud but too thick to see the moon. Won't do much for any kind of frost I would think tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So much for a clear night to see the full moon eclipse. There is heavy cloud cover here in Sandyford below 3 rock - high cloud but too thick to see the moon. Won't do much for any kind of frost I would think tomorrow
    Clouds across the whole country on the 10pm reports. Although a penumbral eclipse is not that spectacular in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold dry cloudy night across the country. dew point at Dublin airport is -4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I find comments like 'pathetic' pretty funny, like there's some grand public referendum to decline snow every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

What time is the eclipse??
    I can see the moon clearly through wisps of cloud here in south Sligo.

1245 full eclipse , already started now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Hmmmm, not a sign of it really.....must be unspectacular!!

yeah id tend to agree, its only a penumbra eclipse so moon only goes slightly darker. go out around 1245 if your still up. take a photo now and then. may look darker. anyway your lucky to have clear skies!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭coillsaille

It's just sad that you have to go up mountains to see a flake of snow. Pathetic!

Donald?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

We shouldn't throw in the towel just yet, there are signs that the end of Feb and start of March may see some more wintry set ups. Might be too late for the sort of widespread snow we'd like but would still be worth keeping an eye on.

• Advertisement

http://imgur.com/ktJnFbN
    Polluted snow lads

Advertisement