Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We shouldn't throw in the towel just yet, there are signs that the end of Feb and start of March may see some more wintry set ups. Might be too late for the sort of widespread snow we'd like but would still be worth keeping an eye on.

with most of the country recording between 0.0cm and 0.9cm of snow this entire winter, all we can is live in hope for a temporary dusting late February to mid March. But yeah, the game is pretty much over for another year if your looking for several days of proper lying snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bitterly cold dull day here today. No frost no snow.Is there some signs of mild weather next week. When do posters think spring arrives. Please god we will get a nice spring and a warm settled summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bitterly cold dull day here today. No frost no snow.Is there some signs of mild weather next week. When do posters think spring arrives. Please god we will get a nice spring and a warm settled summer.

should be much milder into double figures for most of next week and perhaps the week after. Signs of quick cold topplers from the north-west towards the end of this month. These have the potential to be better than the crap we just spent the past 48 hours through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    should be much milder into double figures for most of next week and perhaps the week after. Signs of quick cold topplers from the north-west towards the end of this month. These have the potential to be better than the crap we just spent the past 48 hours through.

Glad of the respite from the bitter cold. Really glad! Amazing that the daffs b the door are so unruffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful afternoon here in Castlebar , long spells of winter sunshine in a light easterly wind. 6 degrees , dew point 1 degree. place is very dry.

• Advertisement

miserable day here, feeling raw, windy, damp and outbreaks of light cold, cold rain.

6:10pm and plenty of brightness left in the sky here in Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Bitterley cold here in Tipperary all day with grey skys. I thought we might see a few light flurries but it looks like we are going to get a hard frost ah well roll on next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Wet, cold and miserable in Celbridge all afternoon here. Have had the heating on for most of the day.
    God I hope it is not as cold tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Three days straight with 0 hours of sunshine here and frequent chills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was never really going to be a proper easterly as in the 1991 sense of the term. It was a brief cut-off sector, dissected by a warmer air advection from Poland/Germany, that quickly modified in its extended path over the North Sea.

The lack of a breeze properly didn't help either, that would surely mean less time to modify as it travelled over the north sea. However, that said it has snowed here, albeit very light at times for the last three days, although the coastal fringes did see rain, in a proper easterly it would have been all snow near the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Baltic though sunny until mid afternoon in Limerick, rainy now in Waterford. Quite heavy burst a little while ago. Can't wait until midweek and 12-14C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Baltic though sunny until mid afternoon in Limerick, rainy now in Waterford. Quite heavy burst a little while ago. Can't wait until midweek and 12-14C :)

Enjoy it while you can Harry Palmr, because there maybe a chilly end to the month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Enjoy it while you can Harry Palmr, because there maybe a chilly end to the month

Careful Nacho...that may be interpreted as 100% guaranteed heavy snowfall going by happenings on here lately:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Conspicuous lack of Isle of Man shadow for the showers affecting Leinster currently. Goes to show there's more to it than simple wind direction at 850hPa.

I was wondering if it was owing to an upper-level trough but the pattern of the predicted rain by Euro4 model looks convective, not frontal. Wetterzentrale and the GFS model marked the rain as convective also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Conspicuous lack of Isle of Man shadow for the showers affecting Leinster currently. Goes to show there's more to it than simple wind direction at 850hPa.

I was wondering if it was owing to an upper-level trough but the pattern of the predicted rain by Euro4 model looks convective, not frontal. Wetterzentrale and the GFS model marked the rain as convective also.

There's not much convection to begin with so that's why the shadow is more or less absent. It's more stratified precipitation than convective.

Potential signs for the QBO to finally turn to an easterly, I really hope it does. Experts say that the reason why the westerly QBO has survived over its due date is because of the Super Strong El Nino from 2015/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Potential signs for the QBO to finally turn to an easterly, I really hope it does. Experts say that the reason why the westerly QBO has survived over its due date is because of the Super Strong El Nino from 2015/16.

Forgive my ignorance, would the QBD be the equatorial equivalent of NAO and AO? And if so in what way is it significant to our weather here in the North Atlantic?

Rougies wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, would the QBD be the equatorial equivalent of NAO and AO? And if so in what way is it significant to our weather here in the North Atlantic?

Read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-biennial_oscillation#Effects

There was no year that was comparable to 2016's QBO which made forecasting for this Winter, even many shorter range forecasts, extremely difficult. See how the Met Office predicted that Winter 2016/17 would start off cold and then end mild? It has been the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

When was the last winter that the QBO was in an easterly phase? Would be interesting to see how it affected not just our weather, but the north Atlantic pattern general.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

CAPE, LI and vertical velocity predictions for this evening suggest convection would take place to some extent, just not at high (500 hPa) altitudes. Though the FAX charts for this evening show an occluded front, which supports the idea that the IoM shadow is more in effect when convection's the main driver of precipitation.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    When was the last winter that the QBO was in an easterly phase? Would be interesting to see how it affected not just our weather, but the north Atlantic pattern general.

Winter 2014/15 but even that Winter had the westerly QBO trying to undercut it. You'd have to go back to Winter 2012/13 for a proper easterly QBO. Winter 2009/10 was similar to 2014/15 but remember that then you had very weak solar activity compared to near solar maximum in 2014/15.

Here is the QBO for previous years:

aiAelGP.png

Westerly QBO is shown by black colours and easterly QBO is shown by white colours.

Interesting how Winter 2007/08 was certainly an easterly QBO yet it was a very mild Winter in Ireland but of course then, we were just entering solar minimum and it takes a few years for cold Winters to take place after solar minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

CAPE, LI and vertical velocity predictions for this evening suggest convection would take place to some extent, just not at high (500 hPa) altitudes. Though the FAX charts for this evening show an occluded front, which supports the idea that the IoM shadow is more in effect when convection's the main driver of precipitation.

Yes. Deep convection is where we see the shadow in full effect. Today we only got low-level (boundary level) convection, and aviation forecast charts, backed up by satellite imagery, showed that cloudtops didn't reach any significant height (mostly below 10,000 ft), which is not going to generate much more than the drizzly shíte that we got.

Onwards and upwards to the next event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Winter 2014/15 but even that Winter had the westerly QBO trying to undercut it. You'd have to go back to Winter 2012/13 for a proper easterly QBO. Winter 2009/10 was similar to 2014/15 but remember that then you had very weak solar activity compared to near solar maximum in 2014/15.

Here is the QBO for previous years:

aiAelGP.png

Westerly QBO is shown by black colours and easterly QBO is shown by white colours.

Interesting how Winter 2007/08 was certainly an easterly QBO yet it was a very mild Winter in Ireland but of course then, we were just entering solar minimum and it takes a few years for cold Winters to take place after solar minimum.

Thanks for that Syran. I admit that looking at that graph, I still find it little confusing despite your explanation.

I am going to have a look at some stats later, but as you point out, even in 2007-2008, while the QBO was in full easterly mode, we still had a mild winter, which, as you say, may have been down bigger forces.

This is where my problem lies. We could focus on the QBO to try and find some sort of correlation with winter patterns, but then something will come along to override that, like the El Nino or some other obscure index, which in turn will have their influence overridden by something else! To be honest, too much focus on these things can wreak your head and they end up proving to be useless anyway in trying to make a general prediction for the Winter (or any other season).

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Syran. I admit that looking at that graph, I still find it little confusing despite your explanation.

I am going to have a look at some stats later, but as you point out, even in 2007-2008, while the QBO was in full easterly mode, we still had a mild winter, which, as you say, may have been down bigger forces.

This is where my problem lies. We could focus on the QBO to try and find some sort of correlation with winter patterns, but then something will come along to override that, like the El Nino or some other obscure index, which in turn will have their influence overridden by something else! To be honest, too much focus on these things can wreak your head and they end up proving to be useless anyway in trying to make a general prediction for the Winter (or any other season).

In Ireland, you can never rely a weather prediction on just one factor :P. There are a ton of factors to consider for a cold Winter:

- Negative AO
    - Negative NAO
    - Weak solar activity (especially coming out of solar minimum)
    - Easterly QBO
    - Tri-pole in the North Atlantic in May (warm to the North-North Atlantic, cold to the Central-North Atlantic and warm to the South-North Atlantic, if you get me ;))
    - Good accumulations of snowfall in Scandinavia in October
    - Sudden stratospheric warming
    - Moderate El Nino
    - Weak La Nina (a moderate La Nina can also produce cold weather but only rarely as shown by Winter 2010/11)
    - Retrogression of a high pressure to Greenland
    - Southerly tracking jet stream
    - Azores High destroyed

There are still a lot more :P, just goes to show ya how complicated and difficult long range weather forecasting in Ireland can be.

Yeah so, even if we have an easterly QBO, we have a lot of other factors to consider. For example, in Winter 2007/08 during said easterly QBO, we had a moderate La Nina which like I said above can produce cold weather for us but is very rare to do so, so that could have had an effect on the easterly QBO. Instead, whilst they were not especially cold months, March and April 2008 recorded snowfall in parts :P.

I think reasons for this Winter being such a huge fail has been because of how one of the oscillations (AO or NAO) has been positive yet the other negative, the fact that there was no tri-pole last May and of course, the QBO which is very superior compared to any other year we've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Give me more huge fails.
    Thin air out today, I was famished with the cold this morning in the yard, hope the priest has the chapel heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Give me more huge fails.
    Thin air out today, I was famished with the cold this morning in the yard, hope the priest has the chapel heated.

Brutal stiff Easterly breeze in Limk, 5C, dull & overcast - church was lovely and snug this am though..... TG!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Give me more huge fails.

Bitter cold here too; West Galway. Going to stay abed.... a 2 hwb day and every now and then an almighty gust of wind that all but shakes the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Wasn't expecting this, but snowing heavily here now.

• Advertisement

nice one! post that photo in the snow thread to

Advertisement