Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like we were lucky over in the West today JCX BXC , did it clear up for you in the afternoon ?

mJjlWjc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like we were lucky over in the West today JCX BXC , did it clear up for you in the afternoon ?

Yeah it did, amazingly well! After the monsoon rains at 11am/12pm, there wasn't a cloud in the sky all day.

One thing that has occurred to me was that we seem to be getting more sun here as of late than we have in the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Conditions for fog forming off the Boro river (wexford) were perfect this evening for about half an hour and then 10 minutes after this picture was taken it was gone. This picture was taken about a mile away from the Boro up a stream/valley feeding into it.

2016_12_11_17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A really ugly outlook for people looking for interesting weather.

Nothing cold/snowy even remotely likely. The wind-storm risk is a little bit better but still increasingly unlikely.

Stubborn high pressure areas look set to remain close to Ireland over the next two weeks bringing generally dry weather with temperatures likely to be above normal.

It will however be wetter than the previous month - which was exceptionally dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi All,

I'm getting married around West Waterford/East Cork this Saturday (Dec 17th).

Any predictions on how we're looking weather wise? From what I can see online, it's looking like a cloudy day but little to no rain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm getting married around West Waterford/East Cork this Saturday (Dec 17th).

Any predictions on how we're looking weather wise? From what I can see online, it's looking like a cloudy day but little to no rain?

Hope its dry and sunny for you and congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Time to cheer people up!

Aye,the polar vortex in the east USA seems like a short lived affair AND there's some blocking actually in the western Atlantic likely so the cauldron might sleep after all
    You'd prefer mid Atlantic blocking because west blocks open the door to the South which can drag wet weather up into the east
    In summary,no model certainty so anything could happen
    A rampage of Atlantic storms isn't looking as likely now thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

How accurate is accuweather normally for weather that's about a week in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dull cloudy and wet in castlebar. Rotten day

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    How accurate is accuweather normally for weather that's about a week in advance?

Horribly inaccurate. AccuWeather is ironically the most inaccurate weather forecasters I've seen for Ireland. In the summer I'm constantly told there is an ongoing thunderstorm when its fully sunny and no clouds, in the winter it could be -5c and I'm told its 6c and raining, and that's only the current weather. A week out it just simply uses the average of what the weather usually is at that time of year.

For the weekend to me its looking mostly dry, with scattered showers and average temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Rhinohippo wrote: »

I echo JCX BXC, it's a complete joke.. Sometimes I feel that their forecast is not really a forecast but more like a summary of what the average for the time of year might be. And it's not only Ireland - it's terrible on the continent too, during winters an error of around 10°C in some parts of the continent is more like a norm rather exception to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Matt Hugo reckons Christmas will be seasonal. Not sure if that is UK only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Matt Hugo reckons Christmas will be seasonal. Not sure if that is UK only.

Seasonal as in wet and windy?

Knock reporting visibility of 50m at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Looking at the Germaniums we have in our garden...it's a sign of a mid December now! Even our spring plants eg. Daffodils & Tulips are popping up

If this continues until the end of December/start of January...then we will have a mid January too - mightn't see any snow this winter season!

Yep, its certainly looking mostly mild until at least Christmas day bar perhaps some foggy frosty nights. no snow on the way for sure. even a good hard frost may be hard to find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

I see the great former BBC weather forecaster Ian mccaskil has died R.I.P

I'll never forget his iconic forecast during the great January 1987 cold spell when on the lunchtime forecast he pointed to Scandinavia,map full of blue arrows showing a shivering reload of the north easterly we'd been shivering and shovelling snow under for a week already and his words were as he manually stuck the black clouds with the 3 snow flakes on them onto the map , 'the great white Siberian army is approaching '

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain making slow progress in the SE as it comes up against High Pressure, mild everywhere, bit warmer behind the front.

SGadCxF.png?1

LE7OX72.gif?1

Some heavy rain forecast in the south

h6gyqnB.png?1

EDIT: Perhaps should be balanced against the HIRLAM

3LOs4et.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Met giving isolated thunderstorms in the south tonight, so maybe some fireworks for some there. At least the weekend and early next week looking to dry up and some frost at night as high pressure builds.
    There's still hope of seasonal weather yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Looking at the Germaniums we have in our garden...it's a sign of a mid December now! Even our spring plants eg. Daffodils & Tulips are popping up

If this continues until the end of December/start of January...then we will have a mid January too - mightn't see any snow this winter season!

Jumping a bit ahead i would think? the winter is just 13 days old and you nearly have our snow prospects written off? I wouldnt be so sure!! ☺☺

D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's raining just a bit in cork city. There's a valve open somewhere. It's pissing down. I mean bouncing off the window/bring the cat indoors rain. Madness ted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible, miserable dirty very wet and mild day.

Beautiful day, cloud cleared by midday and not a cloud in sight now, you wouldn't be blaimed for contusing it with a fair easter day! West Clare.

A beautiful afternoon here in Castlebar with clear blue skies, ground nice and dry to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's the forecast for Christmas?

What's the forecast for Christmas?

MT posted his outlook here today:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=287

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    30 to 50mm of rainfall Thursday into Friday. Some high totals will lead to spot flooding.
    Issued:Wednesday 14 December 2016 18:00
    Valid:Thursday 15 December 2016 11:00 to Friday 16 December 2016 11:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    30 to 50mm of rainfall Thursday into Friday. Some high totals will lead to spot flooding.
    Issued:Wednesday 14 December 2016 18:00
    Valid:Thursday 15 December 2016 11:00 to Friday 16 December 2016 11:00

The river levels don't be long creeping up. A fair bit fell today too.

• Advertisement

-13c tonight in the West according to RTE news :D:D:D

34t8w1h.jpg

Advertisement