Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm expecting a cold spring

Well according to the JMA,

March is looking like a very unsettled month. There is strong northern blocking but temperatures are coming out on the milder to average side.

April is looking like another cold month due to blocking but it is looking drier than March yet still wet.

May is looking fairly cool but uncertain due to northern blocking and mediterranean blocking. Still rather wet.

Not a good Spring at all the JMA is showing here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Despite the Radar showing otherwise only a few drops of rain here that amounted to nothing in the gauge. Mild as expected with a current temp of 10.4c

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

I don't put much heed in the jap model in our neck of the woods,it's not optimised for here
    It often has the eye candy charts that never happen

I don't put much heed in the jap model in our neck of the woods,it's not optimised for here
    It often has the eye candy charts that never happen

I know, just thought I'd mention since it goes along with your expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well according to the JMA,

March is looking like a very unsettled month. There is strong northern blocking but temperatures are coming out on the milder to average side.

April is looking like another cold month due to blocking but it is looking drier than March yet still wet.

May is looking fairly cool but uncertain due to northern blocking and mediterranean blocking. Still rather wet.

Not a good Spring at all the JMA is showing here.
    Sounds like our normal spring to be honest?

• Advertisement

Sounds like our normal spring to be honest?

Since when is March being VERY unsettled normal may I ask?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Post deleted. No back seat Modding or making personal comments about other members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Mod Note: Post deleted. No back seat Modding or making personal comments about other members

Will report from now on so.

I suppose I just don't associate march with settled weather. Patrick's day can often see awful weather. Strange you might be able to tell me I'm trying to remember 17th March 1990 or 1991 I remember it being a beautiful day?

I suppose I just don't associate march with settled weather. Patrick's day can often see awful weather. Strange you might be able to tell me I'm trying to remember 17th March 1990 or 1991 I remember it being a beautiful day?

17th March 1990 was a warm day generally. In the north and northwest, rain was falling but elsewhere, it was cloudy and dry with the odd sunny spell. Dublin Airport hit 17.1c on this day which made it the airport's warmest St. Patrick's Day on record.

17th March 1991 was a typical Ireland day with rain pushing through the morning and isolated showers behind with sunny spells. Temperatures were pretty average for March with 10-12c.

Unlike you, I often associate March with settled weather. Until very recently, I normally associated March with the most settled month of the year. However, that title now belongs to September I think.

Since 2000, there have been a lot of Marches known for settled spells {2000, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016}.

• Advertisement

Thanks I distinctly remember a warm seeed day on march 17th sometime in the early 90s. March I find can be ok or can be winter. I love the prospect of spring coming regardless and Easter is my fav holiday of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Since when is March being VERY unsettled normal may I ask?

Since before you were born. The universe didn't just pop into existance at the same time as you in 2001 ;)

Your stats explain why you have that expectation for settled March's and its natural that your expectations were formed by the weather you've experienced most March's thus far. No one is arguing with that. Its harder for the rest of us old farts to refresh the expectations of dirty messy March's we formed in our youth in the 70's, 80's and 90's despite apparently a fair proportion of the March's this Millennium being decent.

Can you have a look at the stats for a shorts, t-shirt and suncream Paddy's day this Millennium. I distinctly remember a fabulous one in the last decade or so. Well certainly in the Costa Del Bray anyway :D

Calibos wrote: »
    Since before you were born. The universe didn't just pop into existance at the same time as you in 2001 ;)

2000* plus yeah I see your point (I never paid attention to Marches before 2000 for some reason :P silly me). I am looking here now that March 1990 and 1997 were the only really good settled Marches of the 1990s whilst 1993 was dry but very cloudy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

2000* plus yeah I see your point (I never paid attention to Marches before 2000 for some reason :P silly me). I am looking here now that March 1990 and 1997 were the only really good settled Marches of the 1990s whilst 1993 was dry but very cloudy?

Edited my post while you were replying. Can you look at the stats for a fabulous Paddy's day in the 2000's? Thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I remember drinking tinnies outside in Dublin in shorts and tshirt on Paddys day 1999 (classy, eh!). Must have been 20c. Man United beating Inter Milan that night on way to winning the CL rounded off the perfect day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Edited my post while you were replying. Can you look at the stats for a fabulous Paddy's day in the 2000's? Thanks mate.

2004 was a very warm sunny one in Dublin from what I can recall

I remember drinking tinnies outside in Dublin in shorts and tshirt on Paddys day 1999 (classy, eh!). Must have been 20c. Man United beating Inter Milan that night on way to winning the CL rounded off the perfect day!

And by Easter it was snowing

Here ya go.

2016 was an alright St. Patrick's Day with widespread sunny spells, though some getting far more than others and temperatures in the 8-13c range. Nothing "fabulous" but it was alright.

2011 was my favourite St. Patrick's Day because of the weather and the fact, I went out to Costa Del Bray (:D) made it even better. After some light rain pushed eastwards, though I completely escaped, it was a dry and rather sunny day with temperatures in the 7-10c. Statistics definitely don't show how good this Paddy's Day was in my opinion. It was sunny throughout the day here endlessly and it felt like 15 or 16c which is very pleasant for March. Most places weren't near as lucky as me though with just the odd sunny spell.

2010 was a cloudy and dry St. Patrick's Day with temperatures in the 10-14c range. Some places were lucky to get sunny spells.

2009 was a beautiful St. Patrick's Day with prolonged sunshine in all places but the extreme north. Temperatures were in the 11-17c range. The 18th, the next day recorded 19c in places and even more sunshine. This was without a doubt the best St. Patrick's Day in recent times going by statistics but 2011 is my favourite.

2008 was a very nice St. Patrick's Day with a lot of sunshine like 2009 but compared to 2009, it was rather cool with temperatures in the 7-12c range. Severe frost overnight.

2005 was alright apart from some light rain in parts of the west. Temperatures were in the 12-17c range but it was mostly cloudy apart from the east.

Apart from the odd shower, 2004 was fine with plenty of sunshine and reasonable temperatures of 11-14c.

2003 was beautiful with prolonged sunshine and temperatures of 11-16c. Easily the second best after 2009.

1999 was an excellent Paddy's Day but the maximum was 18.9c at Phoenix Park, so pretty close to 20c.

And by Easter it was snowing

Not quite. Easter Sunday was April 4th in 1999 and it was pretty mild at 12-16c but it was not a good Easter as it was very cloudy with plenty of scattered showers.

It began to snow in places from the 14th-19th.

• Advertisement

Not quite. Easter Sunday was April 4th in 1999 and it was pretty mild at 12-16c but it was not a good Easter as it was very cloudy with plenty of scattered showers.

It began to snow in places from the 14th-19th.
    There was also a threatened ESB strike ,there was an actual strike with power cuts in 87,the last one iirc
    I remember the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Here ya go.

2016 was an alright St. Patrick's Day with widespread sunny spells, though some getting far more than others and temperatures in the 8-13c range. Nothing "fabulous" but it was alright.

2011 was my favourite St. Patrick's Day because of the weather and the fact, I went out to Costa Del Bray (:D) made it even better. After some light rain pushed eastwards, though I completely escaped, it was a dry and rather sunny day with temperatures in the 7-10c. Statistics definitely don't show how good this Paddy's Day was in my opinion. It was sunny throughout the day here endlessly and it felt like 15 or 16c which is very pleasant for March. Most places weren't near as lucky as me though with just the odd sunny spell.

2010 was a cloudy and dry St. Patrick's Day with temperatures in the 10-14c range. Some places were lucky to get sunny spells.

2009 was a beautiful St. Patrick's Day with prolonged sunshine in all places but the extreme north. Temperatures were in the 11-17c range. The 18th, the next day recorded 19c in places and even more sunshine. This was without a doubt the best St. Patrick's Day in recent times going by statistics but 2011 is my favourite.

2008 was a very nice St. Patrick's Day with a lot of sunshine like 2009 but compared to 2009, it was rather cool with temperatures in the 7-12c range. Severe frost overnight.

2005 was alright apart from some light rain in parts of the west. Temperatures were in the 12-17c range but it was mostly cloudy apart from the east.

Apart from the odd shower, 2004 was fine with plenty of sunshine and reasonable temperatures of 11-14c.

2003 was beautiful with prolonged sunshine and temperatures of 11-16c. Easily the second best after 2009.

1990 was a beautiful St. Patrick's day. Dead calm sun occasionally breaking through light cloud cover. 17C pretty much everywhere but felt warmer due to calmness.

2004 very good also, i was working in Dublin and could attend the all-ireland club finals without a coat.

2006 was cloudy and spitting snow. 0C all day at home in Laois.

Also 19th March 2005 was a warm day in Ireland and much of the UK. It was 21C in Cardiff when Wales beat us that day to claim the Grand Slam :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the remaining 2 weeks of winter look very mild with The Atlantic in full charge right into the first week of March with temps in low to mid teens. An outside chance of a brief toppler from the north-west around beginning to March. Anyone wanting a day of lying snow in the remaining segment of winter can safely go into hibernation till next November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm guessing the Atlantic in charge means WIND WIND WIND?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Atlantic in charge means WIND WIND WIND?

some wind yes, plenty of showers and rain. We've had a relatively dry and settled 6 months up until recently. We had a bland, dry and often mild winter. I would like to think that the next 3 months will be unsettled balancing things out, with a quieter more settled period during the summer when we really need the Atlantic to behave and stay away from us as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nature usually does balance itself out, likely to be a wet and windy spring here if it does. Wouldnt mind that as long as temperatures are not too cold and the soil warms up so the garden veg gets going.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All Met Éireann weather stations reporting temperatures in the double digits at 4pm.

Gonzo wrote: »
    some wind yes, plenty of showers and rain. We've had a relatively dry and settled 6 months up until recently. We had a bland, dry and often mild winter. I would like to think that the next 3 months will be unsettled balancing things out, with a quieter more settled period during the summer when we really need the Atlantic to behave and stay away from us as much as possible.
    You want unsettled weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What its been like here the last few days, and what the forecast looks like for the next week at least.

hgWtSe3.gif

Drab beyond expression.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's nice in a way to finally have rain. Relaxing. We have been doing well this winter for lack of rain, my garden is certainly nowhere near as waterlogged as usual.

I haven't actually recorded any rain today and everything outside is mostly dry.

Advertisement