Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann just said after the 9pm news a chance of winter storms second half of next week. Christmas Day blizzard, yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met eireann just said after the 9pm news a chance of winter storms second half of next week. Christmas Day blizzard, yes please!

You don't know what a winter storm is do ya:D

Winter storm= Windy, Rainy and sadly, mild.

JCX BXC wrote: »

Oh I know what it is, just hoping that wind direction changes. Believe 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

That's not the technical definition of a winter storm.

That's not the technical definition of a winter storm.

No, but its usually what an Irish one is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Top class day here in Tralee, clear blue sky dawn to dusk. Got up to 10.2C. Bit of fog forming as the sun dipped, cool now at 2.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

What a glorious night it is out there, its calm clear and frosty with the moon lighting up the countryside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold night out there

vUxBSN2.png

Met eireann website this morning saying much colder from Wednesday with snow in places. Long way off but still good to see a mention of old and snow potential from Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Nice hoar frost out this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Very seasonal out there this morning...white everywhere here in south Laois

Met eireann website this morning saying much colder from Wednesday with snow in places. Long way off but still good to see a mention of old and snow potential from Wednesday

Not like Met Eireann to announce it unless there is a fair chance!

Exciting way to wake up this morning!

Lovely day in Tralee, sunshine and milky blue sky. 9.6C, got down to 1.9C during the dark hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And suddenly there is snow in the forecast, now how did that happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another beautiful afternoon here in Castlebar and just look at that sky taken about 5 minutes ago as the sun went down

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi everyone I know little about the weather but have learned a lot from this great forum. I just watched the Weather on RTE 1 tv maybe it was me but thought that the lady was very guarded about the weather over Christmas I know its very hard to forecast that far ahead but she was talking about very active and energized Jet streams....I have a bad feeling (very unscientific I know) hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Tonights Ecm keeps up the theme of cold one day, milder the next with winds a constant threat. That said it shows some real opportunities for snow too. I see a white Christmas for some as more likely than not at this stage. The higher and more western you are the better your chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

A nice morning here in wexford today.
    I wonder is there anyone left on the ground at all?:D
    Picture of the plane contrails this morning.

2016_12_18_11.jpg

(Right i'll be X and you be O).:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Great pic P. The jets are mad here too, must be the holiday season.

Mention of snow gone from Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there was never gonna be any snow for most of us anyway.

Gonzo wrote: »
    there was never gonna be any snow for most of us anyway.

Some of us live in the west ya know?
    Some of us also didn't see any snow last year, not even a flurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

MT giving some snow in north/northwest on high ground around the holiday period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Some of us live in the west ya know?
    Some of us also didn't see any snow last year, not even a flurry.

The west and North west & Northern Ireland are really the only places that have seen proper lying snow since 2010, they get it almost every year. The only places in the east that really see anything more than a dusting is high ground and Cavan, Monaghan.

An easterly is the only show that can really deliver snow to the vast majority of the country. Even the west can end up seeing more snow from a really good easterly than the wet snow from an atlanic based cold spell.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The west and North west & Northern Ireland are really the only places that have seen proper lying snow since 2010, they get it almost every year. The only places in the east that really see anything more than a dusting is high ground and Cavan, Monaghan.

An easterly is the only show that can really deliver snow to the vast majority of the country. Even the west can end up seeing more snow from a really good easterly than the wet snow from an atlanic based cold spell.

There was lying snow in dublin in February this year! Granted it only lasted about 24 hours but had a few cms in the garden

Well plenty of weather as the week goes on, no doubt the wet and windy conditions at times well send shoppers and people making last minute preparations scurrying around with bags in hands and trying to load cars without getting drenched. Fri looking quite wet and windy also and could make driving around towns an added pain. No doubt attention will be on how the weather will progress Christmas Eve / Day. I remember well previous storms around Christmas and the difficulty of keeping food from spoiling when the power went, not to mind cooking. Not all models in agreement yet so it has plenty of time to change either way I would think. The Christmas swim could be a right challenge this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Well plenty of weather as the week goes on, no doubt the wet and windy conditions at times well send shoppers and people making last minute preparations scurrying around with bags in hands and trying to load cars without getting drenched. Fri looking quite wet and windy also and could make driving around towns an added pain. No doubt attention will be on how the weather will progress Christmas Eve / Day. I remember well previous storms around Christmas and the difficulty of keeping food from spoiling when the power went, not to mind cooking. Not all models in agreement yet so it has plenty of time to change either way I would think. The Christmas swim could be a right challenge this year :)

Let's just hope we don't get hurricane weather. We will not really know for a few days what will happen but I will put up with anything but bad wind at Christmas. This type of weather is never nice and is especially not nice at Christmas. 1997 and 1998 were by far the worst years. 1999, 2013 and last year were not pleasant either but not as bad as the first 2 that put the power off for a full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

i find the BBC forecast the most reliable of any and they go with just windy and spells of rain for next weekend, looks a decent week ahead up til then apart from some rain tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

i find the BBC forecast the most reliable of any and they go with just windy and spells of rain for next weekend, looks a decent week ahead up til then apart from some rain tuesday night

There's is no hurricane coming ....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Just after watching the BBC weather forecast for the week ahead on Countryfile and they did say a strong possibility of that low developing into something potentially serious for Sunday.
    They said a lot of weather to go between now and then though.
    They said it's one to watch though.

Definitely not discounting anything yet.

Advertisement