Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140 rules, cramped accommodation and cash in hand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

These werent tenants. They were subletting. The article doesnt really make that clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

newacc2015 wrote: »
    These werent tenants. They were subletting. The article doesnt really make that clear

Even for licensees those rules are draconian!

athtrasna wrote: »

Even for licensees those rules are draconian!

My issue is that we have another article bad mouthing the rental industry. Yet this is not a tenancy agreement and the person giving the rules isn't a landlord. The article didn't make it clear that it was a licensee agreement

If you don't like the rules, don't rent from there. I agree some of the rules are a bit off the wall. But are they any worse than some of the accommodation provided by the catholic church and it's charities here? Eg in a double room they give you a single bed so you can't have people over. A lot of student accommodation limits the amount of guests you can have over, heating times, restrictive house rules.

If you don't like the house rules, don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had a scan through them last night; the vast majority of those rules aren't at all crazy. And for the most part are basic human decency things that shouldn't normally need to be written down.

- Don't open post not addressed to you
    - Don't leave food in the sink
    - Keep the fridge clear of rotten food
    - Clean the microwave after you use it
    - Don't walk around naked
    - Don't put anything but toilet paper down the toilet

This is all very normal stuff, simple human decency when house sharing. I also don't see the problem with asking people to shower daily and use deodorant. Nobody likes a smelly housemate.

Sure, there are a couple of over-the-top items like requiring "approval" for visitors and an "interview" a month in advance of a partner staying over. But you can see how someone who's a complete control freak would think that's "reasonable".

The real "crazy" thing here is the fact that she's written it all down. She clearly doesn't have native english. Most likely someone who is very particular, possibly even OCD, who has decided to sublet the apartment and has felt the need to run it like a boarding house in order to get things the way she likes it. Or maybe she's only been able to attract nightmare lodgers, so feels the need to be draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Unfortunately a scan through these very boards reveals that many slob housemates can't even live up to the obvious rules like not leaving your dirty dishes in the sink.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately a scan through these very boards reveals that many slob housemates can't even live up to the obvious rules like not leaving your dirty dishes in the sink.

Some one commented recently they don't like housemates heating water for anything as there's an electric shower.

Iirc the same someone showers once every few days or something rank like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

seamus wrote: »
    Most likely someone who is very particular, possibly even OCD, who has decided to sublet the apartment and has felt the need to run it like a boarding house in order to get things the way she likes it. Or maybe she's only been able to attract nightmare lodgers, so feels the need to be draconian.

It doesn't marry with the state of the house though. If they're so particular, why is the house covered in mould?

Augeo wrote: »
    Some one commented recently they don't like housemates heating water for anything as there's an electric shower.

Iirc the same someone showers once every few days or something rank like that.

It was me and you know it. What has not heating water got to do with a comment about washing dishes?

As for your second comment, nothing rank about but sadly you are conditioned to think this way like far too many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

It doesn't marry with the state of the house though. If they're so particular, why is the house covered in mould?

See rule 61, paragraph 4.
    Always keep the window open during or after shower, except in winter.

I've lived with a housemate who destroyed his ensuite in black mold because he didn't ventilate properly. Guy was a doctor, an anaesthetist even.

I've also had to put up with a sewer blockage because someone flushed used teabags down the ensuite. They don't float well after use.

The rules for the most part are sensible, it's sad we need them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The rules for the most part are sensible, it's sad we need them at all.

In the part of the rental market where this person is operating, such rules often need to be written down, and spelled out to people.

I doubt very much that the place is "covered " in mould.

• Advertisement

In the part of the rental market where this person is operating, such rules often need to be written down, and spelled out to people.

I doubt very much that the place is "covered " in mould.

There's a video of the place in the article. There's mould from floor to ceiling all the way along the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Shouldn't this not wake up the government that the laws regarding licencees needs to be overhauled?
    They have no protection for minimum standards in the property so essentially nothing can be done.
    How sad is that in this day and age.

...__... wrote: »
    Shouldn't this not wake up the government that the laws regarding licencees needs to be overhauled?
    They have no protection for minimum standards in the property so essentially nothing can be done.
    How sad is that in this day and age.

Leaving aside this over the top scenario a licensee is a guest in the persons home, why on earth should they get rights?

Any move to give them tenancy rights will be the end of people renting out rooms in their home and a large number of rooms will disappear off the rental market. No way on earth should the government be overhauling any laws regarding licensees.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Leaving aside this over the top scenario a licensee is a "paying" guest in the persons home, why on earth should they get rights?

Any move to give them tenancy rights will be the end of people renting out rooms in their home and a large number of rooms will disappear off the rental market. No way on earth should the government be overhauling any laws regarding licensees.

Fixed that there for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There's a video of the place in the article. There's mould from floor to ceiling all the way along the stairs.

Outside wall in a house with only 2 hours of heating a day and from the number of beds in a single room, I'm going to assume a pretty large number of tenants showering, cooking and washing clothes in all day. Bit surprised it's not worse.

The article is pretty bad. The rules are pretty reasonable. It both says that the tenants are given the rules when moving in and then goes onto say that cameras are not allowed unless the tenants are informed of it. Which they clearly are, its in the rules. The people themselves have no rights and at 380 a month in Cabra, your going to attract a pretty colorful mix of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Outside wall in a house with only 2 hours of heating a day and from the number of beds in a single room, I'm going to assume a pretty large number of tenants showering, cooking and washing clothes in all day. Bit surprised it's not worse.

The article is pretty bad. The rules are pretty reasonable. It both says that the tenants are given the rules when moving in and then goes onto say that cameras are not allowed unless the tenants are informed of it. Which they clearly are, its in the rules. The people themselves have no rights and at 380 a month in Cabra, your going to attract a pretty colorful mix of people.

Yes but by the time you get the rules you've already paid a deposit and month up front. I'm sure she doesn't show them the rules before they move in.

pilly wrote: »
    Yes but by the time you get the rules you've already paid a deposit and month up front. I'm sure she doesn't show them the rules before they move in.

And probably considering the rental market at the moment, they accepted the place over email without so much as seeing a picture of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also, what's with this nonsense of having to find a replacement before you move out, and not being allowed to serve notice/move out over the winter period?

While I agree that many of the "rules" are common sense it's both hilarious and disturbing (but not surprising) that some here think this woman's "rules" are justified and acceptable.

There's definitely something dodgy going on with the insistence on not entering or leaving by the front door or answering it (or even being visible to people calling) etc... my guess is this woman's LL doesn't know what she's been up to themselves!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Also, what's with this nonsense of having to find a replacement before you move out, and not being allowed to serve notice/move out over the winter period?

While I agree that many of the "rules" are common sense it's both hilarious and disturbing (but not surprising) that some here think this woman's "rules" are justified and acceptable.

There's definitely something dodgy going on with the insistence on not entering or leaving by the front door or answering it (or even being visible to people calling) etc... my guess is this woman's LL doesn't know what she's been up to themselves!

I think it's very disturbing that people think this list is acceptable and I'm so glad I don't have to house share (yet!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You're making a assumption. There are a lot of people in Dublin who would snap your hand off at 380 bills included, you don't need those tactics for get people in.

• Advertisement

You're making a assumption. There are a lot of people in Dublin who would snap your hand off at 380 bills included, you don't need those tactics for get people in.

I have noticed more and more of these multiple-beds-per-room places popping up in the media as the housing crisis continues. They've always been around though, I remember in a block a friend of mine was staying in Dublin once around 6/7 years ago, there was a group of 6 Brazilians staying in a two bed flat on the same floor. Thankfully they were quiet but I doubt the apartment survived well.

In those days, that two bed was 1k/month so they were paying 166 each. You can guarantee the foreigners here to work are the ones suffering under these conditions today too. You're not going to find many Irish people putting up with this sh­it.

There is only so much the owner/landlord can do to prevent mould. IMO about 85/90% of the time mould is generally down to the tenants. Like the women on here this week on about how bad the mould was in her apartment. Yet she had the extractor fan off in the bathroom and the vents closed in the bedroom. Where is all the moist air supposed to go? There is no magic solution, it has to escape

The amount of times I have gone into apartments and seen tenants moaning about the mould and what will the landlord do about it? But the tenants are turning off extractor fans and closing vents. You can only blame the landlord for so much

There is only so much the owner/landlord can do to prevent mould. IMO about 85/90% of the time mould is generally down to the tenants. Like the women on here this week on about how bad the mould was in her apartment. Yet she had the extractor fan off in the bathroom and the vents closed in the bedroom. Where is all the moist air supposed to go? There is no magic solution, it has to escape

The amount of times I have gone into apartments and seen tenants moaning about the mould and what will the landlord do about it? But the tenants are turning off extractor fans and closing vents. You can only blame the landlord for so much

In the particular case we're talking about the LL is not to blame, it's the lady sub-letting to 6 other people. Too many people in a house along with lack of heat will definitely cause mould.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In the particular case we're talking about the LL is not to blame, it's the lady sub-letting to 6 other people. Too many people in a house along with lack of heat will definitely cause mould.

This woman has already been ordered to pay around €40k in rent arrears by the RTB so the real landlords who own the property (and previous property) are getting royally stiffed.

Graham wrote: »
    This woman has already been ordered to pay around €40k in rent arrears by the RTB so the real landlords who own the property (and previous property) are getting royally stiffed.

€40k really? And she hasn't been evicted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Yip, Ms Suzi will have no green card if she keeps at this craic :

http://bit.ly/2gKxAuu

A number of orders have been issued against Ms Medeiros by the Residential Tenancies Board.
    In November 2014, an order was made for her to pay rent arrears in the sum of €33,484.62.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Correct.

Some poor landlord is going to have to try and put the property back together after she's gone on top of saying goodbye to a significant chunk of rent.

Graham wrote: »
    Correct.

Some poor landlord is going to have to try and put the property back together after she's gone on top of saying goodbye to a significant chunk of rent.

So she's a fraudster as well as an evil bitch. And some people are saying it's acceptable to have these rules? :mad:

• Advertisement

So she's a fraudster as well as an evil bitch. And some people are saying it's acceptable to have these rules? :mad:

I'm not sure there's many people arguing the eviction rules are fair on landlords Pilly.

Stories of this particular woman have been reaching all over the place for a while by the looks of it:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-dublin.com.br%2Fo-intercambio-me-fez-perceber-que-e-possivel-ser-feliz-sozinho%2F

Advertisement