Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hunting shop Dublin

Options
  • 01-12-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    I was on my way to Finglas yesterday and saw a new shop opened in there on the main street beside Power City. It is called Sportsman.ie and got in and your man said he only opened about a week ago.

He had lots of clothing from Deerhunter and Percussion at very good prices and big collection of bush crafting knives that you can customize yourself.
    I asked about ammunition and said he just applied for permission and hopes that he will get it soon.

He was very friendly and got a 5% discount just for buying few things from him. Said that his stock it's not yet complete as still waiting fro stuff from suppliers.

He also said if i send more lads and say my name he will give them a 5% discount as well.
    His site is here.
    I just thought i just share this with you as his shop looked a bit more organized and friendly than what i have encountered from the hunting shops in Dublin.

Sorry mods if this is not in the right forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Any firearms there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

clivej wrote: »
    Any firearms there?

I could only imagine trying to get a dealers licence for a shop in Finglas would not be for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dany1234

clivej wrote: »
    Any firearms there?

He said the licence is pending. He should get it I said as the place is an old Bank building.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Cheap?

Percussion Marly jacket €80 at Decathlon...same jacket is €126 on his website

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Springwell wrote: »
    Cheap?

Percussion Marly jacket €80 at Decathlon...same jacket is €126 on his website

What are you trying to imply that's pretty much standard operating procedure for all Irish gun shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

gunny123 wrote: »
    I could only imagine trying to get a dealers licence for a shop in Finglas would not be for the faint hearted.

I dont see why not, watts had one not too far away and had another one on the quays, theres one in temple bar and there used to be one in pearse st
    Once the security procedures are in place it should be treated in the same manner as anywhere else

I lived in finglas years ago, and know some of the wildlife living there, i wouldn't fancy trying to run a gunshop with them knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    What are you trying to imply that's pretty much standard operating procedure for all Irish gun shops.

I'm not implying anything I'm simply stating the prices aren't exactly cheap or "very good" as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Springwell wrote: »
    I'm not implying anything I'm simply stating the prices aren't exactly cheap or "very good" as you put it.

You missed my point I'm agreeing with you. Dealers down here frequently stick an extra 20-100% on an item that ordered online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

There used to be a gun dealers 40 years ago across the road from it , it is in the old NIB building so i would say that there is a fairly decent safe / vault in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dany1234

Yes he does have two walk in vaults in there. I'd say they're pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

I lived in finglas years ago, and know some of the wildlife living there, i wouldn't fancy trying to run a gunshop with them knocking around.

I would have thought that in this day and age, the "wildlife" wouldn't be too interested in a gunshop, given the type of stuff they seem to be able to get through other sources.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I lived in Finglas for a few years, it was one of the least problematic districts for renewing firearms certs. FO was a decent chap that knew the difference between legit gun owners and crims.

FO was a decent chap that knew the difference between legit gun owners and crims.

Pity there aren't more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is it bigger than the one in Tallaght? As for clothing better off ordering online. Every fishing and hunting shop I've been in in Ireland the clothing prices are all the same. Cheap Shiite that rips and expensive Shiite that will cost arm and a leg. Online is nearly half the price sometimes of same gear. Especially in the bids

Online is nearly half the price sometimes of same gear. Especially in the bids

Yeah, but go to your local gunshop and ask them what they are paying in rent, rates, insurance, security, vat, etc etc, and then do the same for someone operating online, probably out of a garden shed and under the radar of the taxman.

Hi,

I popped in for a look around earlier today. Decent selection of blades and accessories for doing your own knives which I liked, coupled with other bits 'n' bobs including a few basic bows and catapults for example.

The guy seemed fairly helpful, offering to order in anything I was after that wasn't there, he took some time to check stuff on the web for me which was good and appreciated. He's a shooter himself so actually enjoyed chatting about hunting and had a level of knowledge that I doubt you'd get on Ebay too often.

Reasonable selection of Jack Pyke stuff, along with Deerhunter and Percussion as mentioned above. Again, if the size or colour in a jacket, trousers or bag ec. wasn't there, he would get it in and reckoned delivery would be fairly quick (usually a few days).

No update on licence to stock ammunition. He told us that he applied circa 3 months ago, but has no assurances as to exactly when he'll get a final decision (and hopefully the licence). Obviously would be good if he got soon, so he could stock up for Christmas.

I'm pretty sure it's a former bank building, which has one if not two walk in safes, so clearly he's taken that premises for good reason.

Hopefully he'll do well enough as the more shops we have the better - competition helps bring down prices, also it would be nice to see more stuff available over the counter instead of having to get it shipped in from the UK etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In defense, which is odd as i'm normally critical, of the shop it's not just this one.

Since the pound has taken a beating price have dropped considerably. However i've seen in most all clothes shops a worrying trend. They are not applying the proper exchange rate.

While doing a little Christmas shopping i noticed this difference. A jacket with a price tag of £30 was being sold with a tag of €55. Now the exchange rate says this should be €35, but somewhere along the line some stuck €55 tag on it and thought no one would either notice or care.

I won't name shops but they range from the massive stores to the small shops. I also read a report in the new some weeks back where some suppliers had implemented a 10-15% increase in price for no other reason than to offset the drop in the strength of the pound.

So when you buy online you could be buying, as said above, from someone working from home, shed, etc. with no overheads, staff, etc. Or simply from someone that has bought in bulk and is not applying this "Brexit taxation".
    garrettod wrote: »
    No update on licence to stock ammunition. He told us that he applied circa 3 months ago, but has no assurances as to exactly when he'll get a final decision (and hopefully the licence).
    He'll be waiting.

A friend has recently gone down this road. Got the final sign off some 4 months ago, and now is waiting o the actual license. As it comes from the Ministers office (as all RFD licenses do) and not the local district station he could be waiting a while longer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    .....He'll be waiting.

A friend has recently gone down this road. Got the final sign off some 4 months ago, and now is waiting o the actual license. As it comes from the Ministers office (as all RFD licenses do) and not the local district station he could be waiting a while longer.

Cass,

Point well made about the shops not passing on the benefits of the weaker sterling. The shooting magazines in Easons have been a prime example for decades and that is just one of many retailers we could all name and shame. Where possible, we all need to avoid doing business with such retailers (but I know this is not always possible, in which case go for plan B and give them hell about the matter when in their shops).

As for the licence to sell ammo, thats disgraceful. It's anti competitive and also, discouraging new entrants, complete with new employment etc. Maybe time to get the "great" Enda who supports business (apparently) on Francis' back a little over this issue ;)

Thanks,

G.

Cass,

Point well made about the shops not passing on the benefits of the weaker sterling.
    Had it today again. Not shooting or hunting related, but was out shopping for the young lad. There is a certain item he wanted and i'm finding it almost impossible to get. Eventually found it in a shop in Dundrum. The price in the UK is £65, and here the label said £75. I thought an extra £10 (€12) won't break the bank. When i got to the till the lady said €109.

So the ten pound mark up, from the exact same store in the UK, was not enough they tried to milk another €20 on top of that too. So in total i'm paying an extra €32. But that is todays exchange rate.

Or look at it this way. At the moment €100 is £84. Back before June the same €100 would only have gotten you £72. So the €109 they wanted would equate to £91.54 today, but back then it would have only got you £78.48. So instead of marking the item up to £91 with no justification, they have left it at the original price of £75, but used the pre Brexit exchange rate.

Magic.

Same crap happening in supermarkets. It was in the news. Suppliers want to increase the cost, across the board, of their items (food stuffs too) by 10-15%. Tesco was one of the Supermarkets to refuse and so you'll notice they no longer stock certain items.
    The shooting magazines in Easons have been a prime example for decades and that is just one of many retailers we could all name and shame.
    Not just Easons. This has been a bone of contention with me for some time. A magazine says £2. You get to the till and are asked for €4. No matter the exchange rate it never came to €4. When i asked i was told it's duty and VAT on paper/ink. I asked how as the UK and Ireland are in the EU (open borders, free trade, and all those others lies were told). Of course i get the sheep stare or rabbit in headlights if that analogy works better.

Where possible, we all need to avoid doing business with such retailers (but I know this is not always possible, in which case go for plan B and give them hell about the matter when in their shops).
    Unfotunately not. When it's as widespread as it is. But you're dead on. not expecting much of a response from any of the name tags, but it helps to vent. :D
    As for the licence to sell ammo, thats disgraceful. It's anti competitive and also, discouraging new entrants, complete with new employment etc. Maybe time to get the "great" Enda who supports business (apparently) on Francis' back a little over this issue ;)
    With all checks done you'd wonder why it takes so long to simply sign off considering it is probably not even her signing it (autopen or some such device).

As for Enda, well he is a bit busy ignoring the homeless crisis and donating money to art centres in America to be dealing with anything. Bless him, it's not easy being the 3rd highest paid leader in the EU (even though out of the 28 members states we are ranked 20th in terms of population).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Don't get me started on enda and the rest, my blood pressure was at an all time high when they wanted to blow 8 million on buying and housing mary robinsons load of rubbish, sorry state papers in mayo.

There are people living in tents in parks all around dublin, its like new yorks central park during the great depression.

Anyway, i think the reason prices are higher here, for basically everything, is economies of scale, there are less than 5 million people in the republic, but over 65 million in the uk, it costs the same to handle and distribute goods here, but you don't sell anything like as much.

Don't get me started on enda and the rest,
    Nor me.
    Anyway, i think the reason prices are higher here, for basically everything, is economies of scale, there are less than 5 million people in the republic, but over 65 million in the uk, it costs the same to handle and distribute goods here, but you don't sell anything like as much.

See i don't buy that (excuse the pun) for a second.

Stores that are in the UK and here buy form the same suppliers, ship from the same suppliers, etc. The prices are very close if not the exact same. On the tags the items have the same price as the UK.

If you go back to pre June times the price on the tag in Sterling was pretty much what the price tag in Euro said it was (IOW the exchange rate was pretty much spot on).

Now it's not.

For smaller stores and especially hunting/shooting shops i've heard all arguments about waiting times (for guns) staff costs, rates, running costs, etc, etc. I don't dismiss them, but at the same time when, like above, and to get back on topic you have the exact same item with a 57.5% markup what possible answer can you give.

Even look at the shops within Ireland. We import pretty much all our goods. Yet one shop has it for "X" price while the others can be "X" plus 10%, 15% and some "X" minus 10%. Not on sale, just regular prices. Its why we alwyas say to shop around.

Here is the biggest kicker. Irish websites are crap. They truly are. If the last two weeks of Christmas shopping have thought me anything its that. Items i want cannot be found even after 3 hours of Google searches. I go to the shop and they have rails full of the items i want.

A lot of UK and EU stores have much better websites making shopping a much more pleasant experience. And online i can buy the item i want at the price it is in the UK with the CURRENT exchange rate.

The item i was talking about above. I can order it from the UK, with shipping, and have it here standing me €84.39. So from the exact same shop i can save €25 without having to spend €30 on fuel to get to the "Big Smoke".

Well parcel motel is your friend, i buy a lot of tools from the uk and even with the carriage costs, they usually work out far cheaper than here. Irish retailers are very poor at the whole online advertising/marketing thing, which really is a pity, oddly its the smaller dealers who seem better at it, Pat Carley in wexford for instance has a good website, and he's a one man band.

......... Pat Carley in wexford for instance has a good website, and he's a one man band.
    My point exactly.

He seems cheaper than most for the exact same product. He is not Cabelas, Brownells, etc. so you cannot say he is bulk buying.

Plus most dealers import form the same main supplier. On ammo, etc. So why is it one price in one place and a much higher price in another. Sure costs come into play, but sometimes, as i see it, it's for the "quick buck". IOW i'll get what i can from them until they cop on.

Every dealer i've ever spoken to has told me the mark up on cartridges is tiny. Selling pallets of the stuff won't make you a hundredaire let alone a millionaire. Yet i've seen 25% mark ups on certain brands of cartridges in different dealers. Same brand, same size, etc.

Rip off Ireland !
    ... it's that simple and will continue, as long as we all permit it to continue.

Cass,
    One last thing on this item you were after for your son.... I hope you bought it from a different UK retailer, rather than just the UK version of the one trying to rip you off here in Ireland ? That way, the completely lose the business and whatever profit they might otherwise have earned on the sale.

Gunny,
    Parcel Motel is excellent - although sadly they are overwhelmed at the moment, so struggling to keep up. They sent a private mini bus out to our place recently, loaded up with parcels and sent many locals text messages telling us when the bus would be there so we could come and collect our goodies... worked just fine and was great to see them using a bit of cop on, to try and clear the backlog.

DPD are trying to offer a variation of the service, but they deliver to nominated shops across the country (i.e. some Spar Shops, I think). Poor old An Post are also trying to get in on the action and while cheaper, you can only collect from a Post Office (so restricted opening hours / collection times and risk of having to stand in a queue).

Anyway, I think we can all take credit for taking this thread completely off topic (sorry !), so perhaps if Cass or one of the other lads has a moment they might do the needful and cut the unrelated posts out (maybe start a new thread entitled online shopping or something ?) ? Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

Cass,
    One last thing on this item you were after for your son.... I hope you bought it from a different UK retailer, rather than just the UK version of the one trying to rip you off here in Ireland ? That way, the completely lose the business and whatever profit they might otherwise have earned on the sale.
    Bought him something else completely, from a different shop. Something he wanted a little more, but was more expensive, however i'd sooner spend more (probably stupid) an item that is correctly priced than hand over money for old rope.

Cass wrote: »
    ...however i'd sooner spend more (probably stupid) an item that is correctly priced than hand over money for old rope.

Agree.

Thanks,

G.

Hi,

Has anyone heard if that chap Robert got his dealers licence for his shop in Finglas ?

... I've not had reason to be near Finglas for quite some time and just took a quick look on his website, but no sign of firearms or ammo for same (sadly).

Thanks,

G.

Hi,

Has anyone heard if that chap Robert got his dealers licence for his shop in Finglas ?

... I've not had reason to be near Finglas for quite some time and just took a quick look on his website, but no sign of firearms or ammo for same (sadly).

It would be good to have a gunshop in Dublin, pity its not a bit more central, but i suppose running a gunshop in junkie central is out of the question now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

It would be good to have a gunshop in Dublin, pity its not a bit more central, but i suppose running a gunshop in junkie central is out of the question now.

Their are a lot of decent people living in Finglas who hunt and fish, less of the junkie central if you dont mind.

Advertisement