Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hunting shop Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

blackpearl wrote: »
    Their are a lot of decent people living in Finglas who hunt and fish, less of the junkie central if you dont mind.

I took him to mean a central shop in the city centre which is now junkie central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

blackpearl wrote: »
    Their are a lot of decent people living in Finglas who hunt and fish, less of the junkie central if you dont mind.

Where did i mention Finglas ? Maybe READ the post before typing, if you don't mind :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

gunny123 wrote: »
    Where did i mention Finglas ? Maybe READ the post before typing, if you don't mind :rolleyes:.

where is finglas sorry it must be in kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

If at first you don't succeed, try........... ;)

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone heard if that chap Robert got his dealers licence for his shop in Finglas ?

... I've not had reason to be near Finglas for quite some time and just took a quick look on his website, but no sign of firearms or ammo for same (sadly).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dany1234

garrettod wrote: »
    If at first you don't succeed, try........... ;)

He didn't get the licence yet. I was speaking with him the other day and he said that he didn't gwt any sign of the super for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Go by it 2 or 3 times a week , havnt even seen anybody in it when i pass . His prices on his website are standard and he carries pretty much what most other shops have or you can get cheaper online. Cant really see it lasting .

Thanks for the update guys,

It's a very sad situation in general to see someone try and start up a new business, then be left swinging for months and months on end to get a licence to sell permitted firearms and ammo.

The bloke has clearly put some decent money into the business (based on the stock I saw, the premises etc.), he would probably create a few jobs and for us, bring a bit more competition (which ultimately does help bring prices down, even if it doesn't feel like that sometimes) .. not to mention help grow interest in our sports.

You'd like to think that on the back of a rough recession that the government would be trying to encourage him and lads like him setting up SMEs, rather than leaving him swinging like this for circa 6 months now.... (obviously it's an entirely different story if he's been refused the licence but thats something I don't think we can find out so have to take his word for it).

Good old Ireland, will it ever bloomin' change ? :(

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was in the area today so I dropped for a look around and spoke to the owner. He said he's expecting to be inspected for his RFD very soon (next week hopefully).

He has a very comprehensive stock of rucksacks, clothing, boots, knives, sights, fishing gear, archery, etc. Saw a nice lightweight full ghillie suit including gun sleeve and was very impressed at the price - €45!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

The local shops around him are objecting.they don't want guns available for a potiential robbery.
    My opinion is that an RFD license is a non Runner in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The local shops around him are objecting.they don't want guns available for a potiential robbery.

That's the flakiest reason for an objection that I have ever heard.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

And even worse is it will hold ground as a valid objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

When i lived at home it is just around the corner from the shop , i had a 9mm pistol , 2 shotguns a .22 rilfe and a .223 never had any issue licensing them , 3 drug dealers lived on my road and many criminals , i had more hassle when i moved out and got my own house in a posher area. :)

When i lived at home it is just around the corner from the shop , i had a 9mm pistol , 2 shotguns a .22 rilfe and a .223 never had any issue licensing them , 3 drug dealers lived on my road and many criminals , i had more hassle when i moved out and got my own house in a posher area. :)

Yeah, but you didn't have a sign over the door saying guns and ammo inside.

Yeah, but you didn't have a sign over the door saying guns and ammo inside.

My guess is that the sign would be the exact same as it is at the moment, so might be interesting to find out if there have been any attempted break ins to date etc. (I take your point btw, just giving both sides of the arguement) :)

Maybe someone needs to sit the retailers down and explain to them that the criminals have far easier access to higher calibre firearms coming in from abroad, so they don't actually need to go breaking into well secured firearms dealers to swipe low calibre hunting or target guns, along with a few air rifles :o

If thats true about the local retailers objecting, then the owner needs to invite them into his premises, given them the guided tour (reminding them it's a former bank building so solid, good safes etc.) and then bring up some stats on how many dealers have had firearms stolen from them in the last 5-10 years etc. Past and present, there are plenty of examples of other licenced dealers in retail locations and trading away as normal as any other business.

From a practical point of view, someone trying to steal firearms from that premises would have a major problem with traffic if trying to get away in a hurry, as that road in front of the shop nearly always seems to be jammers (although granted, llate at night you'd get onto the dual carraigeway fairly quickly .. .but then there's the shops security to get past etc.).

I've not been up there for quite a while tbh, but from what I can recall there's a bit of a private car park around the back of the building with a rear door entrance, so it would be easy to call the shop and mention you were bringing a firearm in and needed acces through the back, rather than march across the street from the carpark at the church in full view etc. It's a former bank building, so I'd expect it's very secure.

Thanks,

G.

Hi,

Anyone know the latest on this one ?

I don't see any mention of firearms or ammo on his website, but have not been up to the shop for a few months now.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I dont see why not, watts had one not too far away and had another one on the quays, theres one in temple bar and there used to be one in pearse st
    Once the security procedures are in place it should be treated in the same manner as anywhere else

I remember fondly going into johnny watts in Glasnevin. We used to go in for fishing tackle as kids and we'd be fascinated by the guns on display. The old guy working there would always give us the time of day and explain the differences between them all, peppered with highly dubious but highly entertaining hunting stories of his own. A lovely chap, I'll be awake all night now trying to remember his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I could only imagine trying to get a dealers licence for a shop in Finglas would not be for the faint hearted.

Why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I remember fondly going into johnny watts in Glasnevin. We used to go in for fishing tackle as kids and we'd be fascinated by the guns on display. The old guy working there would always give us the time of day and explain the differences between them all, peppered with highly dubious but highly entertaining hunting stories of his own. A lovely chap, I'll be awake all night now trying to remember his name.

Most times I was there it was Johnny himself. Thirty-odd years ago, now though.

His brother on the quays had a better setup imho. Very professional, great gunsmithing service, often sorted a problem for me on the spot within minutes. (I'll have to ignore the bother he got into later, something the customer would never have imagined).

And if you want the best all-round shop, I've yet to see something better than Garnett & Keegan's - really olde world shooting and fishing. You felt special entering that shop, even if you never even bought anything. Nostalgia now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Watts on the quays, ABC tackle off Caple St, Rorys' in Temple Bar and then up to Garnet and Keegans' ......... ahhh the nostalgia of it all, those where the days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Watts on the quays, ABC tackle off Caple St, Rorys' in Temple Bar and then up to Garnet and Keegans' ......... ahhh the nostalgia of it all, those where the days.......

Remember them all - loved that walk around...there was also a cutlery shop up the street in Parliament-street who did some very nice knives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

J.R. wrote: »
    Remember them all - loved that walk around...there was also a cutlery shop up the street in Parliament-street who did some very nice knives.

Read & Company Cutlers was the shop on Parliament St. My wife bought me a nice Rory Connor hunting knife there many moons ago.

I remember going into Garnett & Keegan to buy flies and cartridges from Jack Harris who I discovered many years later was J R Harris the author of the seminal An Anglers Entomology I have a nice signed copy which I got from an uncle.

I bought my first shotgun - a Baikal single barrel in Watts on the Quays, and got the stock on a double barrel adjusted by old Mr Watt in Glasnevin.

...old I am :)

p.s. From what I can remember cartridges were hugely expensive back then!

Rosahane wrote: »
    Read & Company Cutlers was the shop on Parliament St. My wife bought me a nice Rory Connor hunting knife there many moons ago.

I remember going into Garnett & Keegan to buy flies and cartridges from Jack Harris who I discovered many years later was J R Harris the author of the seminal An Anglers Entomology I have a nice signed copy which I got from an uncle.

I bought my first shotgun - a Baikal single barrel in Watts on the Quays, and got the stock on a double barrel adjusted by old Mr Watt in Glasnevin.

...old I am :)

p.s. From what I can remember cartridges were hugely expensive back then!

Read this

https://stephenmyallblog.wordpress.com/garnettskeegans/

A different Ireland, in the not too distant past, that frankly i think was better, in someways anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

I bought my first shotgun - a Baikal single barrel in Watts on the Quays,

I bought my first gun also a Baikal single barrel also from Watts on the quays. An ejector model, the thickness of the barrell at the muzzle was about 1/4 of an inch :eek: I did like the under side 2 finger break lever.
    My father insisted I get a single barrel, the thinking from his time was the single shot would teach you to be steady. Traded it in the following year for a s/s which i'm still using now more than 20 years later.
    I also went to ABC tackle but actually never heard of Garnett & Keegans.
    Pat Cleeres not far from Rory;s in temple bar was always another stop.

I bought my first gun also a Baikal single barrel also from Watts on the quays. An ejector model, the thickness of the barrell at the muzzle was about 1/4 of an inch :eek: I did like the under side 2 finger break lever.
    My father insisted I get a single barrel, the thinking from his time was the single shot would teach you to be steady. Traded it in the following year for a s/s which i'm still using now more than 20 years later.
    I also went to ABC tackle but actually never heard of Garnett & Keegans.
    Pat Cleeres not far from Rory;s in temple bar was always another stop.

I bought my first shotgun in Rorys of temple bar, a baikal single barrel too, pre celtic tiger days they were, 1990 i think it was. ABC in Mary's abbey ? Do you remember Lilly who owned the shop ? My father supplied her with lead weights so we would be in there every saturday afternoon. Garnett and Keegans was for the well off, not many baikals in there i would think.

Pat Cleere is still going i think, or was until recently, he never had much in the shop in Bedford row, shooting wise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

From what I can remember through the mists of time, and aided by a bit of googling a box of Eley Grand Prix was about £2.50 in 1975. I distinctly remember paying 28 pence for a pint back about then.

Shooting was expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

From what I can remember through the mists of time, and aided by a bit of googling a box of Eley Grand Prix was about £2.50 in 1975. I distinctly remember paying 28 pence for a pint back about then.

Shooting was expensive!

I was working in Kerry in late 70's ..78 - 79 and as a student we were paid £60 a week during the summer for driving a truck. Eley Grand Prix were £3 a box then........and you could get 3 pints of Guinness for £1.

From my recollection a box of cartridges were the same price as 9 pints of Guinness!!!

At the time we were getting between £18 - £22 for a good fox skin......it was an enormous amount of money when you think back.......3 foxes were the same as a week's wages for me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Pat Cleere moved to Clane.
    https://www.fishingonlineshop.com/

Mostly fishing tackle when he was in Dublin but did sell cartridges.

Hi,

Anyone who thinks that old people don't use the internet, need only check out recent posts on this thread ;):D

So, as things stand, where can someone buy ammunition or a licensed firearm in Dublin ?

There's the place in Tallaght, a very limited selection or ammo in Rory's, where else please ?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I gave up on the lad in Tallaght, very unreliable ammo wise. My last three firearms purchase where internet based and all outside of the Pale. Until recently all the ammo was purchased over the net and delivered. Recently started to buy ammo from Courtlough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Sports Den in Navan and Courtlough are my go to shops for ammo. Sports Den also do.a postal service

Advertisement