Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hunting shop Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If your on the south or west of the capital McCarthy's in Prosperous and Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy are also good for ammo and very competitive price wise. Both shops have lots of shooting accessories. Also Hilltop have a great selection of Guns and McCarthy's have a great selection of clothing and fishing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I am quite familiar with most of the names suggested in the neighboring counties, and while they are good for various reasons (albeit, I thought Courtlough were traditionally expensive, Hilltop great but a bit far away if I'm not heading for Wicklow), my concern relates to the fact that about one third of the population of Ireland are residing in Dublin (granted, the numbers who are license holders may not equate to one third of all firearms license holders, but I'd still expect there to be 30,000 plus Dublin license holders), but yet we've sod all choice for shops selling firearms and ammo.

Anytime I see or hear mention of concerns about firearms or ammunition shops in Dublin being a high risk, I just keep thinking to myself - why would the criminals bother breaking into secure shops with small caliber hunting and target shooting guns, when they seem to be able to get anything they want via the black-market (probably easier and faster than through robbery) ?

Takes me back to the original question about the lad in Finglas. At this stage, if he's not had his license then I fear he will never get it and that's a real shame given the financial commitment he seems to have made to trying to get his business up and running etc. I just can't see him surviving without a dealers license and if he doesn't get going, then it's going to be yet another reason to discourage more new shops opening, which ultimately is bad for all of us as consumers.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Anytime I see or hear mention of concerns about firearms or ammunition shops in Dublin being a high risk, I just keep thinking to myself - why would the criminals bother breaking into secure shops with small caliber hunting and target shooting guns, when they seem to be able to get anything they want via the black-market (probably easier and faster than through robbery) ?

But they do

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/guns-stolen-from-wicklow-shop-1.736975

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

I gave up on the lad in Tallaght, very unreliable ammo wise. My last three firearms purchase where internet based and all outside of the Pale. Until recently all the ammo was purchased over the net and delivered. Recently started to buy ammo from Courtlough.

Same here - very near me & would be very handy.

I bought ammo there twice for rifle and shotgun. Didn't find the chap behind the counter very knowledgeable on cartridges at all.......no interest in answering when asked what they had in stock...seemed like it was a chore for him.

I was looking for some heavy cartridges for duck....asked about a few brands and choice. Reply along the lines - "Do you want the alphamax 4's or not!!!"

I bought two boxes... the last box of ammo I'll ever buy there.

I now buy all my ammo in 500 lots from Sportsden..good selection s & good price & very fast delivery...hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I gave up on the lad in Tallaght, very unreliable ammo wise

I was in Dublin recently and went down to see the shop in Tallaght with my 9 year old boy. He wanted a bow and I was looking for a specific .22 round. After looking at the displays for a few minutes and explaining to the son what different items were forth try and give him an interest as I'm trying to get him away from Minecraft. We approached the counter and the young lad behind the counter was very polite but not anywhere knowledgeable on the ammo. When I asked about the .22 ammo I wanted he tried to help but the ignorant **** behind him ( an older guy) who was yapping for the past 10 minutes ignoring all others in the shop shouts across at me you can have mini mags or nothing. Not a great experience for the son on his first trip to " an outdoor super store" or as close as we get here to one. I wont be back again

It was very similar to the customer experience I had in Tallaght Rod and Gun a few years ago.
    Looks like the only change is the address of the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dany1234

Been back into the shop from Finglas yesterday to get a coat and found that the shop has received the licence and he had louds of rifles and shotgun and ammo of all kind at reasonable prices. Defo gonna get me ammo from there from jow on as he was willing to give a good custom and good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

That's good news ....

The more shops, the more competition, and greater selection of items for sale etc.

I had feared the worst tbh, when I saw this thread bumped.

Thanks,

G.

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shop in ardee is now new savage arms dealer of Ireland. Just FYI for those who have savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I got some cci sub in the finglas shop yesterday, nice lad, seems knowledgeable and up for a chat. Thinking of buying a mossberg off him in the new year, depends on if the wife likes her christmas present first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I work in finglas the last 7 years and only noticed this place a few weeks ago when i was standing at the ATM across the road. I went over for a look and had a chat, ended up leaving with a few boxes of ammo, boresnake amd new shooting sticks for stalking. Robert is a sound lad and after recent dealings with a cowcowboy gun dealer i was glad to find him.

He still has a great selection of clothes, gear and good prices for ammo. Defo worth a visit

aaakev wrote: »
    I work in finglas the last 7 years and only noticed this place a few weeks ago when i was standing at the ATM across the road. I went over for a look and had a chat, ended up leaving with a few boxes of ammo, boresnake amd new shooting sticks for stalking. Robert is a sound lad and after recent dealings with a cowcowboy gun dealer i was glad to find him.

He still has a great selection of clothes, gear and good prices for ammo. Defo worth a visit

Good to hear, its also good to have a dublin based dealer that does not have the manners of a boar-pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dany1234

I have to say he is my go to dealer since he opened up. I got great prices on everything in there. Robert is a sound lad and an avid hunter himself and knows what we all looking for and very happy to help all the time.

Advertisement