Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines anti-bike-theft initiative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lol :D. Eats shoots and thieves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's a fairly standard form of hyphenation now though. I prefer Chuchote's way alright. It turns up in headlines sometimes, and can look very weird. "Anti-child abuse initiative", that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Well, it's a question of meaning. Anti-bike theft initiative sounds like something radio jocks would approve: "Quick, nip out of the car and grab the bike so they can't ride it".

Oh yeah, I get that there is a contrary meaning implied by using only one hyphen. I guess the argument for the hyphen trimmers is that, in this case, "bike theft" forms an implicit unit. So it's like "anti-(bike theft)".

Stan Carey wrote about this a while ago, supporting your style.
    http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/anti-multiple-hyphen-tendencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Ah, plenty of style wars on hypens. And that's without even getting into successional hyphens :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I think people just don't think about what they're writing when they do this. The placement of the hyphen is pretty important to the meaning:

hyphen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    So it's like "anti-(bike theft)"
    This is why we need to teach computer science in school, possibly as part of a wider pedantry programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Pretty sure I remember the gardai's own personal bikes being stolen at rathmines station way back in the '80's.

If I remember correctly a Garda looked out the back and saw a bike floating up into the air. Turned out some git had a fishing rod and was reeling the bike over the wall.

Lumen wrote: »
    This is why we need to teach computer science in school, possibly as part of a wider pedantry programme.

Something I can get behind! Sorry, something behind which I can get.

Advertisement