Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 01-12-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everybody,

I am a PhD student who just got his funding and pretty chuffed on pursuing further studies. I am originally from Dublin and right now planning on moving to Galway (before the end of Dec) and I would like to know what areas would best suit to live in (or to avoid). My work will be concentrated at GMIT and UHG. As such I will be shuttling between these two places. I will be getting the Staff Shuttle Bus that runs from Merlin Park Hospital to UHG every 30 mins or so. I drive to and from Dublin and will have my car around with me in Galway (for the odd grocery shopping and travel). I would like to live in a place close to GMIT as that is my primary workplace. I came across few threads that mentioned Ballybane to be a rough area and best avoided if possible?. I know of someone else who is also looking for a place and renting an apartment is something we are looking into. I don't mind a radius of 2km since I am ok with walking to and from GMIT. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Probably Renmore, Wellpark, Roscam would suit you best.  A lot depends on your age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

CornBlitz wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I am a PhD student who just got his funding and pretty chuffed on pursuing further studies. I am originally from Dublin and right now planning on moving to Galway (before the end of Dec) and I would like to know what areas would best suit to live in (or to avoid). My work will be concentrated at GMIT and UHG. As such I will be shuttling between these two places. I will be getting the Staff Shuttle Bus that runs from Merlin Park Hospital to UHG every 30 mins or so. I drive to and from Dublin and will have my car around with me in Galway (for the odd grocery shopping and travel). I would like to live in a place close to GMIT as that is my primary workplace. I came across few threads that mentioned Ballybane to be a rough area and best avoided if possible?. I know of someone else who is also looking for a place and renting an apartment is something we are looking into. I don't mind a radius of 2km since I am ok with walking to and from GMIT. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Have lived in Ballybane for a year now and it's been plain sailing. There are a couple of 'rougher' estates but also lots of hard working people and lots of young and more mature family homes. We've excellent neighbours all around us, we are on 2 bus routes and are a ten minute walk to two more. There are plenty of food shopping options and the Eye cinema and Wellpark are a stones throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Really, any where on the East side of the city is walking distance from GMIT.
    Galway is a relatively small city.
    Pretty good bus service also.
    East side make access from other parts of Ireland easy.
    Going through the city (to West side) in traffic can take time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's best to have a good look around yourself at all the areas mentioned during the day and night and you will get a better idea as to their suitability quick enough I would say. Renmore sounds good to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Remote, lough atalia, mervue are all lovely n collage road if u can handle living close to our (un)elected councillors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Renmore, Lough Atalia, Mervue are all lovely, and College Road if you can handle living close to our (un)elected councillors
    All good spots alright.
    OP, you will find even more in GMIT forum, for instance see this thread
    All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CornBlitz

Thank you all for the replies and recommendations. I managed to find a really nice place a stones throw from GMIT. Perfect would be an understatement after all the time I spent looking for a place. As some of the posters have mentioned I did drive through all of those areas and Ballybane and Renmore were the best bet when it came to easy access to GMIT. Looking forward to working and living in Galway. I prefer quiet places so I'm sure I'll enjoy living here! :-D

Advertisement