Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Fixie

Options
  • 01-12-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

My neighbour wanted recommendations for a fixie for her eldest son (>6 foot so adult sized bike) for christmas. Wants to keep to a keen budget <€500 preferably.

Struggling to find any online - would be grateful for any recommendations.

He wants one with a fixed hub on one side that reverses to a freewheeling hub on the other. Must have brakes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Funked Up are pretty well known: https://funkedup.com/irl/bikes
    They're priced from 450 euro but also seem to have 25% off at the moment using the code FU25%

I bought a fixie from Mango a few years back: https://www.mangobikes.com/bikes/original-single-speed/
    They're cheaper than FU, at just over 300 euro.
    I use it mainly for riding to the shops every now and then but used to occasionally do my ~10k commute on it.
    Not a bad bike but nothing amazing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have a similar query as initial poster - anyone familiar with Whistle Mojave for a 17 yr old - mainly to school, nothing long distance?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Charge Plug on Wiggle for around €430

Had one of these for years and it was bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

+1 on FunkedUpFixies. I got one of the Urban Series during the summer and it's a beauty.
    €450 all in but they regularly do sales on some bikes with crazy colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd have thought 500 quid to be well towards the top of a fixie budget.

Should be loads of choice out there for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Charge Plug on Wiggle for around €430

Had one of these for years and it was bombproof.

I was about to post the same, great bike and under budget. I would not call it a budget fixie. I would just call the F Up fixies overpriced, your essentially paying money for a decent paint job on a budget bike.

Create are about 300euro as well but like the others, I would pick the Charge over them any day of the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you know the way there's no such thing as a stupid question?
    how much scope is there on one of those bikes, given the length of the rear dropouts, to have differing teeth counts on the two cogs either side of the back wheel, without changing chain length?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

you know the way there's no such thing as a stupid question?
    how much scope is there on one of those bikes, given the length of the rear dropouts, to have differing teeth counts on the two cogs either side of the back wheel, without changing chain length?

Could not speak for the others but I had a wide enough range on the Plug. I think I moved it between 14t and 18t without issue. I also for awhile had a BMX freewheel on one side as an emergency get me home (the hubs are generally fixed/free, rather than fixed/fixed). I used a miche cog so you could swap out number of teeth very quickly, very handy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was just wondering if there was an option for free/free, rather than fixed/free, with differing tooth counts, so it would be a very rudimentary way of changing gear if you were heading for hillier country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

i was just wondering if there was an option for free/free, rather than fixed/free, with differing tooth counts, so it would be a very rudimentary way of changing gear if you were heading for hillier country.

Its easier just to get on with it, unless you're heading to the Alps. There aren't many long steady climbs in Ireland that could justify flipping the hub - mostly its undulating, which would mean a lot of hopping on and off ( not to mention the PITA of keeping the wheel centered and the chain tight if you're tired )

44 X 16 would be OK for most scenarios up to ~10 % gradient I think.
    My neighbor wanted recommendations for a fixie for her eldest son (>6 foot so adult sized bike) for christmas. Wants to keep to a keen budget <€500 preferably.

Struggling to find any online - would be grateful for any recommendations.

He wants one with a fixed hub on one side that reverses to a freewheeling hub on the other. Must have brakes.

November / December copy of ' Urban Cyclist' has a good feature on s/s & fixies currently on the market. Lots of copies in Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

scott.s wrote: »
    Funked Up are pretty well known: https://funkedup.com/irl/bikes
    They're priced from 450 euro but also seem to have 25% off at the moment using the code FU25%

I always thought their bikes look really cheap. Front forks are horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As OleRodrigo says it wouldn't be practical at all and it would be probably be easier and less time consuming to do the walk of shame than to flip the wheel. Mine is a 18/48 and I can go to about 12% if I have to but I'm almost at a standstill at that gradient.

(You wouldn't have to seek out a free/free. The fixed could be utilised on steep gradients as your highly unlikely to need to coast when climbing).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

These lads popped up last wek on fb with a black friday offer of building your own fixie for 99€, seems to still be available, dunno hownlegit they are

Www.prismcycles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

retalivity wrote: »
    These lads popped up last wek on fb with a black friday offer of building your own fixie for 99€, seems to still be available, dunno hownlegit they are

Www.prismcycles.com

Don't need one, don't like the possible colour combinations, but I still want one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

retalivity wrote: »

Www.prismcycles.com

based out of Cork it seems, hope it works out well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Might be worth having a look at SonaBikes based in Dublin 1

They have a range of less garish fixed wheel bikes starting at €250. They are also an approved supplier of Bike to Work Ltd/TravelHub if that option is open to you.

https://sonabikes.com/product-category/fixed-gear/sona/original-series/

FWIW my personal preference would be something along the lines of the Charge Plug mentioned previously.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, but it is Friday.....

d971b36b035b5160d9a39b538f94852f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

post deleted

Advertisement