Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Under Tension ( TUT )

• 01-12-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

what are people's opinion on time under tension ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

obi604 wrote: »
    what are people's opinion on time under tension ?

Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Context?

Sorry.
    in for example doing a bench press.

better to do lighter weight and time under tension for muscle growth

Slowing tempo is a good tool for hypertrophy / muscle growth. But not necessarily the best or only way to illicit growth.

But certainly a good one.

Slowing tempo is a good tool for hypertrophy / muscle growth. But not necessarily the best or only way to illicit growth.

But certainly a good one.

thanks. what do you think is the best for muscle growth?

thanks. what do you think is the best for muscle growth?

I can't say what's best as people respond differently to different stumili but what's worked for me has been volume. Lots of it. Which, in a sense is increasing time TUT.

• Advertisement

I can't say what's best as people respond differently to different stumili but what's worked for me has been volume. Lots of it. Which, in a sense is increasing time TUT.

I dont get you, what do you mean by volume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

obi604 wrote:

High numbers of reps and or sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

He means total number of reps.

I haven't done much research into TUT but it intuitively seems to make sense. We focus on numbers of reps, but not all reps are equal. Some movement are much shorter and easier than others. 3x12 of one type of exercises might not be equivalent to 3x12 on another...could be more effective - or at least more uniform - to do each for, say, 45 seconds, regardless of how many reps you can fit in.

Zillah wrote: »
    He means total number of reps.

I haven't done much research into TUT but it intuitively seems to make sense. We focus on numbers of reps, but not all reps are equal. Some movement are much shorter and easier than others. 3x12 of one type of exercises might not be equivalent to 3x12 on another...could be more effective - or at least more uniform - to do each for, say, 45 seconds, regardless of how many reps you can fit in.

yeah, I know when I do my standard bench press, if I do 8 reps, it probably takes about 20 seconds.

But if I do the TUT, the muscles will be under pressure for probably twice as long or more and you'd imagine, this is better for growth. The weight will be less, but still......

yeah, I know when I do my standard bench press, if I do 8 reps, it probably takes about 20 seconds.

But if I do the TUT, the muscles will be under pressure for probably twice as long or more and you'd imagine, this is better for growth. The weight will be less, but still......

If you did twice as many reps...

There are benefits to slowing down the movement, eg it can help you learn to control the bar better, but you don't have to skin the cat the one way to get results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are taking a narrow view of it tbh. Sure muscles are working for longer, but the force produced is way less. There isn't necessarily a way to trade off force v time as they are independent variables.

And what exactly do you mean by the "TUT"? All sets have a TUT, not something you add it. Obviously you're talking about increasing it but exactly what do you do

Mellor wrote: »
    You are taking a narrow view of it tbh. Sure muscles are working for longer, but the force produced is way less. There isn't necessarily a way to trade off force v time as they are independent variables.

And what exactly do you mean by the "TUT"? All sets have a TUT, not something you add it. Obviously you're talking about increasing it but exactly what do you do

I mean that instead of just going to bench press and grabbing bar and just going up and down 8 times that I do it more measured, as an example take 4 seconds to go go down and 2 seconds to go up and do it 10 times.

I mean that instead of just going to bench press and grabbing bar and just going up and down 8 times that I do it more measured, as an example take 4 seconds to go go down and 2 seconds to go up and do it 10 times.

As I said, I figured you meant increasing TUT. But there's a range slow reps that would qualify.

Everything I said above still applies. The TUT is increased, but the max force is less and the power is less.
    Can these be quantified to say which is better for growth. I don't think so.
    But imho, I'd prefer to go down a route with a high volume*, and aiming to increase that volume weekly.

*By volume I mean Total Reps x Load, (aka work done/tonnage), not just total reps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I reckon you're over thinking this. What effect is this going to have if the weight is easily controlled?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What does your bench training, as an example, consist of?

Sets/reps and the weight in relation to your max.

What does your bench training, as an example, consist of?

Sets/reps and the weight in relation to your max.

I do 10, 8, 6, 3, 2, 15 reps.
    Increase weight each time and then decrease for last One.

Is the 10, 8, 6, 3, 2 reps with same weight?

Are these all done increased TUT?
    As in, is the 2 rep set a heavy double, or is it a 2 reps of a lighter weight.

TBH if you are aiming to increase TUT then doing triples and double is completely contrary to that idea. It looks like you are falling into the cracks between two separate approaches?

Is the 10, 8, 6, 3, 2 reps with same weight?

No. I increase the weight each time. And decrease for last set.

Are these all done increased TUT?
    As in, is the 2 rep set a heavy double, or is it a 2 reps of a lighter weight.

TBH if you are aiming to increase TUT then doing triples and double is completely contrary to that idea. It looks like you are falling into the cracks between two separate approaches?

This is nothing to do with TUT. This is what I do right now.

• Advertisement

This is nothing to do with TUT. This is what I do right now.
    Well that makes more sense.
    Do you increase the weights week to week. Or is it the same workout each week.

Well that makes more sense.
    Do you increase the weights week to week. Or is it the same workout each week.

im only back to it about 6 weeks after about 2 years out, so still getting in to things, so haven't started increasing the weight yet.

If you picked a weight you could do maybe ~13/14 reps with and did 4-5 sets of 10 and then increased, you would possibly be getting more volume than you are with 29 reps across different weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

You could try out PGE or GPE which do increase TUT. Nick Tumminello would be my go to guy for vids and info. Tried it out recently myself and it definitely brings a different dimension to training...

Advertisement