Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Returns

Options
  • 01-12-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I bought a tablet from Argos and long story short it's rubbish, it's a cheap Bush tablet and I am sorry I bought it, I have had it 3 days now and it's painful. It doesn't say on the receipt I cannot return it within the 30 day period. Also the product as per Argos's website doesn't have the little cross beside it stating it cannot be returned.

Argos from what I understand don't usually take back stuff which has built in memory in it, but has that policy changed? Just asking here before I go up so I know what to say.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

If it isn't excluded then you can return it, I would like to think that's fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Change of mind isn't covered with this sort of stuff by Argos (as you have stated it's excluded from their normal policy, which I'm pretty sure only refers to unused items (or items that appear unused to them at the time of return)

Go in, tell them your not happy (device is unusable) and see what happens. Depends on the manager of the store probably. If you ask for store credit you'll get more leniency from a manager usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    If it isn't excluded then you can return it, I would like to think that's fairly obvious.

It seems obvious yes, but it's unsual for them to take back stuff like this and querying if there would be a clause despite what it appears to say on the receipt. You never know what member of staff you will get who will waffle " never mind what the receipt says" blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Before you go in ring a shop and ask them. Say you're thinking of buying one and ask them if it can be returned if it's too slow for your requirements. They'll tell you over the phone, if they say no then ask why things like earrings (for example) have a note on their webpage

This item is excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee. See the Additional Information panel for full details. Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

but the Tablet does not.

They might have a good answer for you or they might not but at least you'll know before you go into the store to try and get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

as you have stated it's excluded from their normal policy
    Think you read his post wrong, he said its not excluded from the normal policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

does argos fall under the distance selling rules seen as you cant visibly test the device in the store?

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    does argos fall under the distance selling rules seen as you cant visibly test the device in the store?
    you can ask to look at stuff in argos, I have done it a few times as there was no enoguh info in their descriptions.

Not that I think it would matter in the slightest in regards to distance selling rules.

If you could pay online and collect instore it might be an issue. People recommend to pay for gyms online as if done in the right way you can cancel as it was "bought online"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

ssmith6287 wrote: »

You can. You just have to give the catalogue number and ask to see the device. Actually turning it on and playing with it you can't - but I know very few shops that allow you to take out tablets or computers and play with all of them.

Unless it's like CompuB or PC world you can whip out an iPad or laptop and play on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Mind me asking which Bush tablet it was as I'm thinking of picking up one for a gift.

BTW, how did you get on with regards to a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would guide caution on all Bush tablets as they are an Argos own brand and not known for quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Irony of the day, ready that post on a cheap bush tablet that I bought today from argos,ha ha, actually I love it......perfect for what I want it for!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Electronic items are typically excluded from their money back guarantee. Argos does actually provide returns for change of mind within 30 days if the item is returned in saleable condition, but electronic items are usually excluded.

I've always found Argos to be pretty good with that stuff. I worked there for a number of years also and rarely took a firm line with people unless they were straight of the bat being aggressive. Just be honest, and if your interested in buying a different device they likely won't have an issue. Just outline you've set it back to factory settings and pack it back up the way you got it.

TheDoc wrote: »
    but electronic items are usually excluded.
    It can depend on the nature of the item. Dgitial cameras were one of the first I remember being excluded which was presumably since people were "renting" them for weddings and returning them.

Some were obvious, like electric razors and they would clearly give the reason as being for hygenie. Some things like tablets, laptops etc have registration details entered when you first use them and it would cost a fair bit in admin to get them back to the original state.

Other early ones were computer games, again kids using it as a rental service.

I just checked one of each of camera, razor and games and none said they are excluded though, maybe it does in the shop?

says this now
    Exemptions
    Sorry, but there are a few items we can't accept returns on such as some jewellery items and food products unless of course these are faulty, or otherwise don't conform to the contract. These are identified in the catalogue or at argos.ie, if in doubt, give us a ring or pop into store and speak to a member of staff. Naturally none of this affects your consumer rights, see below/our full terms and conditions for more details.

a 400 euro braclet was not exempt though, I found cleaning kit which is and has the cross I used to see

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2128715.htm

Additional Information

This item is excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee. See the Additional Information panel for full details. Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Advertisement