Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed ramps manorfield drive

Options
  • 01-12-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

There are new damage your car type speed ramps on the said road.
    Why are they being put on this road when it's like a carpark in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Phil.x wrote: »
    There are new damage your car type speed ramps on the said road.
    Why are they being put on this road when it's like a carpark in the morning.

Because tools drive too fast on it the other 23 hours of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

^^So then everybody suffers these ramps, why not put up a revenue raising speed camera to catch these "tools"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't see how the ramps can damage cars unless you are driving too fast over them. The purpose of ramps is to make cars slow down before and while they are on the ramps.

I only noticed them today and already am seeing the benefits of being able to turn right out of Ongar Park much more easily as cars in both directions now have to slow down. Traffic volumes have really increased on that road in the last few years with all the new developments in Castlegrange etc.

Much safer for all. However, they need to put ramps ahead signs in place to forewarn motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've seen 2 crashes on that road in 2 years both down near the roundabout going towards Latchford.
    All single car crashes and all from going to fast. One went through the black railings near the roundabout where kids were playing.
    Could have been a terrible incident.
    I don't live there but jog that road 2 to 3 times a week so see some madness on that road with people over taking buses on that bend.

^^So then everybody suffers these ramps, why not put up a revenue raising speed camera to catch these "tools"

Because the camera can't be there 24-7 and as soon as it's gone, the idiots will put the boot down again.

Slow down and the ramps won't damage your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Are they like the ramps in Tyrrelstown and the new ones on Church Rd in Mulhuddart? "Speed cushions" I believe they're called. Couldn't find any relevant legislation about them for Ireland, but going by UK regs they're actually deemed dangerous and illegal. There's gotta be some very happy mechanics around with plenty of suspension work to be getting on with.

So about 20mins ago, these ramps that fingal installed to reduce "accidents" have just caused a four car crash.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I've seen 2 crashes on that road in 2 years both down near the roundabout going towards Latchford.
    All single car crashes and all from going to fast. One went through the black railings near the roundabout where kids were playing.
    Could have been a terrible incident.
    I don't live there but jog that road 2 to 3 times a week so see some madness on that road with people over taking buses on that bend.

But the ramps are not on that part of the road, they are at the ongar/allendale end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

So about 20mins ago, these ramps that fingal installed to reduce "accidents" have just caused a four car crash.
    It's not the ramps that cause the accidents, it's idiots that don't know how to drive over them.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's not the ramps that cause the accidents, it's idiots that don't know how to drive over them.

If it was a flat smooth, ramp free road there'd be no 4 car crash today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Because there's never any accidents on ramp free roads..

Because there's never any accidents on ramp free roads..

But these new ramps were the cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

What happened did you see the incident happening?
    Hope no one was hurt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

How exactly did the ramps cause a 4 car collision? I hate ramps myself so I'm interested to hear the logic behind this.

Gaspode wrote: »
    How exactly did the ramps cause a 4 car collision? I hate ramps myself so I'm interested to hear the logic behind this.

Me too tbh.

If the ramps are dangerous to cars, then yeah, they might have damaged the first one...

but if subsequently three more cars following behind were going too fast to avoid a collision, then surely it highlights the fact that the ramps are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If people drove to the conditions of the road and paid attention then there wouldn't have been a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I drove this stretch of road last week and thought to myself they will cause an accident.

They narrow the road too much. If 2 cars go over at the exact same time, there's little room for error. And as we all know, everyone tries to leave one wheel off the ramp. Some drive in, others drive the path side.

Add a bus and a truck going through at the same time... They're atrocious tbh

Edit - Just to add to the above, I seen a car ahead of me actually stop at the ramps to let a bus go through them, which caused me about 3 cars back to completely stop also.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I drove this stretch of road last week and thought to myself they will cause an accident.

They narrow the road too much. If 2 cars go over at the exact same time, there's little room for error. And as we all know, everyone tries to leave one wheel off the ramp. Some drive in, others drive the path side.

Add a bus and a truck going through at the same time... They're atrocious tbh

Edit - Just to add to the above, I seen a car ahead of me actually stop at the ramps to let a bus go through them, which caused me about 3 cars back to completely stop also.

I don't understand. While I sometimes also drive to left or right of ramp depending, to lessen the impact of the ramp on my car, I'd only do that when there is no oncoming traffic. If there is oncoming traffic, I will just slow as necessary to drive fully over my ramp. If a bus was oncoming, why would I stop unless the bus came over the line to my side of the road? Is that what happened above? If so, that is reckless and dangerous driver behaviour causing the accidents and not the ramps. Otherwise, we can blame traffic lights for going red or roundabouts or stop signs being in the way when we still wanted to keep going.....:confused::confused:

Well then you don't understand, my post is pretty clear.

Well then you don't understand, my post is pretty clear.

I wasn't saying that I didn't understand your post, more that I couldn't understand why drivers would drive in a way that causes danger to other road users.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that I didn't understand your post, more that I couldn't understand why drivers would drive in a way that causes danger to other road users.

That's cool, that sounded narkier than I intended!

If you meet a bus at those ramps, it's unbelievably tight as Both vehicles are forced toward each other the way it's laid out.

That's cool, that sounded narkier than I intended!

If you meet a bus at those ramps, it's unbelievably tight as Both vehicles are forced toward each other the way it's laid out.

I see what you mean! Thanks for your response! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was out running last night & came across two cars on Manorfields Drive that had 'grazed' one another whilst passing at the new speed bumps closest to the Ongar entrance, both drivers pretty annoyed with one another & the conversation was heated... don't understand it myself, when driving over the bumps I tend to go centrally over them to balance the bump equally on both sides, neither car was dropped or had a low suspension etc. so I couldn't see why they'd veer right to have one wheel take the full brunt of the bump & in turn bring both cars together at the cantre of the road practically inviting such an incident.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I find because these ramps are very harsh I go no more than 28/30km/h over them.
    I also find this group's car's close for the stretch of the ramps and in turn is dangerous, hence the four car crash I seen, some cars are great at absorbing these and others are not, like mine.

Advertisement