Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What generator to get

Options
  • 01-12-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

I want to get a 6KVA diesel generator as a backup for the house in case of a power cut. Would anyone have a recommendation on a brand / supplier I could look at? I will obviously be getting a registered electrician to install it properly.
    I would like to be able to run the water pumps, heating, some sockets and some lights.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

I can't help you out with a brand of genie but make sure it's a true sinewave genie with surge protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Your looking at spending big money for something you may never use. Ask yourself do you really need a standby generator. How frequently does your power go off and for how long each time. The only issue I would have with the power going off is the food in the fridge and freezer but even that will last six hours minimum. Maybe a small genny to keep one or two things going at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Have a look at this one from Irish Garage Equipment, the price seems ok and the reviews are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Your looking at spending big money for something you may never use. Ask yourself do you really need a standby generator. How frequently does your power go off and for how long each time. The only issue I would have with the power going off is the food in the fridge and freezer but even that will last six hours minimum. Maybe a small genny to keep one or two things going at best.

Try being without water, heat and light for a week in the middle of the winter and you'll soon see the value of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I doubt any house would be left without power for a week. Except for major storm damage or recently when the sub sea cable to inis Meain and inis oirr failed. Even after storm Darwin in 2014 after 2 days 200,000 customers where reconnected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know it's occasional, but we were out for a week in 2000. Depends on family needs. If he has the money and wants peace of mind.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I doubt any house would be left without power for a week. Except for major storm damage or recently when the sub sea cable to inis Meain and inis oirr failed. Even after storm Darwin in 2014 after 2 days 200,000 customers where reconnected
    I've been without power for a week in the past. This also left us without water and heating. We would have power cuts 5-6 times a year for up to half a day at a time so it would get used regularly.
    If you had experienced it yourself you might understand.
    Would anyone have any recommendations on brands or suppliers to look at? Could I run it in a detached garage or would it need to be outside? Would it be worth looking for a second hand one? Would I be better with petrol or diesel? Very much in the dark on this one so any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

db wrote: »

We would have power cuts 5-6 times a year for up to half a day at a time so it would get used regularly.

:( Worth putting in a bit of effort to it

Is the house out the country a bit ( bit of room in the garden ) ?

What kind of heating so you have ? ( oil/gas etc )

gctest50 wrote: »
    :( Worth putting in a bit of effort to it

Is the house out the country a bit ( bit of room in the garden ) ?

What kind of heating so you have ? ( oil/gas etc )
    Yes, we are out in the country with about an acre. Any time a new house is being connected the area we are out for a few hours. I don't want to put too much into it like building a shelter. If I could wheel it out of the garage when needed it would be fine. I would want to run the pump for the well and UV water filter, oil boiler and heating controls, some lights, TV, laptop and broadband router.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you wren't cooking or heating water your usage would be fairly low.
    Could store genie in a garage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement