Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOW AND ICE 2016/2017

Options
  • 01-12-2016 2:37pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a run around Kildare tomo.
    Are minor roads defrosting in this weather do you think?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Planet X wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a run around Kildare tomo.
    Are minor roads defrosting in this weather do you think?
    Cheers.

Roads are fine in West Kildare at least today, thick fog in places though.

Link to the salted roads map below, generally those are OK most days

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/WinterRoadSaltingRoutes/County%20Kildare%20Salting%20Route%202015-2016%20Rev%20B.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Cracking map that!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Here's the one for Wicklow.

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/2015%2C2016%20Road%20Gritting%20Programme.pdf

Slightly better than the Kildare one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any for Dublin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I generally use this and other weather pages to see what it is going to be like the next day

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IF ONLY SOMEONE HAD INVENTED SOME SORT OF MAP ON THE INTERNET.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Be aware lads that just because the gritting routes are listed, it doesn't mean that gritting has actually been done.

A friend of mine is one of the engineers who makes call in FCC as to whether they go out or not. While they do close monitoring of the weather conditions, they don't always get it right and have the significant costs involved to consider when they give the go ahead only to discover later that it may not have been necessary. They also have to prioritise week mornings over weekends if the budget is being used faster than anticipated so it may be more risky cycling on Sat/Sun/Bank Holiday mornings as the routes may not have been treated.

(One of the gritting drivers lives near me so when I see the truck parked outside his house at night I know the go-ahead has been given).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Be aware lads that just because the gritting routes are listed, it doesn't mean that gritting has actually been done.

A friend of mine is one of the engineers who makes call in FCC as to whether they go out or not. While they do close monitoring of the weather conditions, they don't always get it right and have the significant costs involved to consider when they give the go ahead only to discover later that it may not have been necessary. They also have to prioritise week mornings over weekends if the budget is being used faster than anticipated so it may be more risky cycling on Sat/Sun/Bank Holiday mornings as the routes may not have been treated.

(One of the gritting drivers lives near me so when I see the truck parked outside his house at night I know the go-ahead has been given).
    Will they be out tomorrow morning Wishbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

billyhead wrote: »

Can't speak as to every area, but pretty sure I saw a gritter truck wandering around Dublin 15 in the lat 30 mins, so would imagine there will be some treatment on the roads for the morning in Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Gritter/salter lorry just gone down the road a little while ago so the Kildare lads are out...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Gritters are out in DLR too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

cython wrote: »
    Can't speak as to every area, but pretty sure I saw a gritter truck wandering around Dublin 15 in the lat 30 mins, so would imagine there will be some treatment on the roads for the morning in Fingal.
    Cheers Cython. They must have been out last night on my route Rush to Swords as the main roads were grand this morning (just some hairy spots on the way home). Don't like this talk though of randomly going out to grit the roads:eek:. Surely with the cold snap they would be out every night/morning

Won't know for a while yet. If they are doing a 7pm grit, the truck won't appear until around 11pm. I'm 95% sure they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nothing to with ice but be aware of the dense fog that's about. It's not affecting Dublin much but once you get anyway inland it's there.

I drove from Dublin to Offaly and then to Castlebar today and the fog was dense enough all day - visibility was quite poor. Plenty of freezing fog about too.

Similar forecast for tomorrow.

... Don't like this talk though of randomly going out to grit the roads:eek:. Surely with the cold snap they would be out every night/morning
    In fairness though, if there has been little rain, roads usually are pretty ok for motor vehicles anyway. They wouldn't be thinking about cyclists!

Each night gritting costs a significant amount of money which isn't sustainable for a long period without taking money from other projects.

crosstownk wrote: »
    ... but be aware of the dense fog that's about....
    It was very sporadic on the club ride this morning - constantly changing from good visibility to heavy fog every few kms.

Just as an aside lads, the trucks are fitted with a gizmo which relays the rate of dispersal and truck speed back to the engineers laptop at home. This prevents the drivers from laying it on thick and fast to get home earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Why is the OP about running in the cycling forum?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

If you follow your local council on twitter they'll have info as to whether the gritters are being deployed when the weather gets colder

• Advertisement

Cheers Cython. They must have been out last night on my route Rush to Swords as the main roads were grand this morning (just some hairy spots on the way home). Don't like this talk though of randomly going out to grit the roads:eek:. Surely with the cold snap they would be out every night/morning

I saw you and thought the things people do to spend time with Wardie never cease to amaze me! 1 degree and this lad rolls past on the bike in the freezing fog!

It seems very mild out there now. Cold but not that could. A lot moisture in the road which would concern me given how cold it's meant to get.

I'll be up early but probably just for a turbo session

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I saw you and thought the things people do to spend time with Wardie never cease to amaze me! 1 degree and this lad rolls past on the bike in the freezing fog!
    mmmmm......

2 points:

1. I've never seen billyhead on a Wardie spin!
    2. Wardie didn't venture out this morning (which, in fairness to him, is very rare!)

mmmmm......

2 points:

1. I've never seen billyhead on a Wardie spin!
    2. Wardie didn't venture out this morning (which, in fairness to him, is very rare!)

Maybe it was you I saw? It was early and I'm very tired these days!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Maybe it was you I saw? It was early and I'm very tired these days!
    Well if it was someone in full MCNSCC kit taking it fairly gingerly between Lusk and Blakes Cross around 8.30/8.45 this morning, it may have been me. Bloody cold at that time Garmin showing -1 degree.

Well if it was someone in full MCNSCC kit taking it fairly gingerly between Lusk and Blakes Cross around 8.30/8.45 this morning, it may have been me. Bloody cold at that time Garmin showing -1 degree.

Yep. Twas you so. Got you at the remount roundabout and again at the m1 flyover. I remarked to myself at the time how carefully you were going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Well, not sure about road conditions for everyone else today, but Dublin 15 to city centre via Stoneybatter was fine for me. Only went this route due to being worried about iciness in the park following a previous spill some time ago, but think it was unwarranted in hindsight, and I'm not sure it was even as cold as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Dublin 6 > Rathcoole > Lucan > Dublin 17, roads all clear this morning but the landscape was pretty frozen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It was very sporadic on the club ride this morning - constantly changing from good visibility to heavy fog every few kms.

Was out on the club spins on both Tuesday and Thursday and, in the sunshine, the condititions didn't seem that different. The fog made a huge difference though to how it felt yesterday. Don't know if this is somehow related to humidity affecting the temperature or the damp causing the gear to loose more heat. Took about twenty minutes and two coffees in Drogheda to revive. Cracking spin home in slightly higher temperatures and more sunshine but the faster pace and hills helped too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Don't like this talk though of randomly going out to grit the roads:eek:. Surely with the cold snap they would be out every night/morning

It ain't random. There's a road icing forecast product available to local authorities and they base the decision to grit on that forecast.

Advertisement