Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOW AND ICE 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.......ye can add a dash of Orange Snow to it now to spice it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

FFS! Just took the cross tyres off my bike and put slicks on. Oh well.

With your CX skillz........no bother boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    FFS! Just took the cross tyres off my bike and put slicks on. Oh well.
    Racing or not, you don't take the CX tyres off until CX season is over.(Sunday coming)
    It's akin to taking the Christmas tree down before the 6th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Fian wrote:
    I will start with a disclaimer that I don't actually believe that this is true, it does make for an "interesting anecdote" though.

I would rather think that Zappa had something more ordinary in mind ;-) but I've also heard of Siberian tribes where poorer folk used to gather richer people urine during festivities to get a secondhand high from hard to get mushrooms... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Riding to work here in Poland over last few weeks and have seen temps around -24 and lower , (with real feel touching -30.) Great adventures but started questioning it when front brake froze and had to scale a snow drift. I accept this is price we pay for super summer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Seems snow/sleet/hail will extend to all areas this evening. Anyone know what to expect for dublin - wondering about whether i need to concentrate on getting out of work early this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fian wrote: »
    Seems snow/sleet/hail will extend to all areas this evening. Anyone know what to expect for dublin - wondering about whether i need to concentrate on getting out of work early this evening.

The Met Éireann short range rainfall forecast indicates that Dublin will miss the worst of it and that showers will pass through somewhere between 7pm and 9pm.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

The wind will be more annoying than snow on my commute home. I hate the fupping wind.

Accuweather now predicting snow in Dublin in 71 minutes from now - so just after 5:30.

I think discretion will be the better part of valor for me and I will bolt for home at 5:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll hang on until 5:30. I'd sooner wait until a fine spring/summer evening to head home early - the long way. :pac:

• Advertisement

Nothing of note is going to happen.

Planet X wrote: »
    Nothing of note is going to happen.

Almost certainly correct.

At least until you said that.........now.....well who knows.

No one knows, correct.
    It was over hyped it seems.
    So far anyway. I opened the curtains early this morning like a child expecting to see........

Back to bed, nothing to see here......

Snow?

2283_13537_w300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Snowed in d4 from about 6.15 - 7, when i was playing 7 a side. Cycled home after but nothing on the road.

And my waterproof gloves are not waterproof at all, so my fingers may fall off now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had to bring the cat to the vet just after 5 in ashbourne. the drive home from about 6 onwards was through a moderately heavy snowfall; passed a couple of hardy souls on the old N2. chapeau, it was not a night i'd have wanted to be on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

i had to bring the cat to the vet just after 5 in ashbourne. the drive home from about 6 onwards was through a moderately heavy snowfall; passed a couple of hardy souls on the old N2. chapeau, it was not a night i'd have wanted to be on the bike.

Most likely me and the wife cycling home from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just worrying about our four-wheeled friends... http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ice-and-snow-create-treacherous-road-conditions-1.2935754
    If drivers skid on the roads, they should not break fast, but reduce acceleration and gears to stop gradually.

What if they've already had breakfast?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Pretty icy out there, fella decided for no reason to stop in the middle of Shelbourne road.

My brakes just saved me, barely kept the bike upright, back tyre skidded. Otherwise, I was going in to the back of him, or ploughing into incoming traffic.

Whacked the van with my fist, gent hops out, auld lad, cursing the fúck out of him. He knew he was in the wrong, sharply got back in. Great start to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Saw a guy take a right hopper this morning - came off the bike when taking a corner, the road was surprisingly icy. Went back to see was he ok - he was but i cycled on much more cautiously.

• Advertisement

Dublin city full of white and black ice, mostly on small roads and footpaths, main arteries are ok in the middle of the lane. Careful out there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Slippery around Dublin 12 in the estates but once I was on the main road it was OK. Still took it very carefully on corners and tried to be gentle on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No bother for me this morning...wasn't even cold!...windscreen washers were frozen though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Dropped a few psi on the aul 4 seasons before i set off this morning. The housing estate was abit icy around killester, was grand on the main roads into town.

Just took my time, read ahead for any of the shiny black stuff ;)

Still alot of dare devils on BSO's hugging the kerb...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Whacked the van with my fist, gent hops out, auld lad, cursing the fúck out of him. He knew he was in the wrong, sharply got back in. Great start to the day.
    you cursed him because you'd barely left yourself enough braking distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Had a few interesting moments on black ice but stayed upright. It's the first time I used some of my winter cycling gear and it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I was thinking the same but i let him off with it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say I agree, not enough braking distance for the conditions. What if he had a genuine reason for braking? All that really happened is driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration, and attempted property damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If he had a genuine reason to stop, why not pull over to the side where there's plenty of room. It's akin to pulling up to a dead stop on the motorway instead of using the hard shoulder. I've been cycling the same the same route for the last eight years without incident.

Perhaps I should of given more space, due to the conditions. I wasn't riding his coattails. Nor was going I going to jam on the brakes either, causing myself damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's a hell of a generalisation to make. The other day while in a cycle lane and nothing in front of me, a car suddenly passed me and pulled into the lane, the slowed and stopped. As a result, I had to slam on to avoid hitting the car....should I have left more braking distance too?

Advertisement