Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOW AND ICE 2016/2017

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jon1981 wrote: »
    That's a monster commute, fair play!

Not as long as you would think. Just under 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Left Shankill at 5.45am on my usual commute into Ballsbridge! Roads were fine but the untreated raised cycle paths were absolutely lethal! The headwind was actually my biggest problem! Felt colder coming home!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Deansgrange to Santry was fine on the main roads.
    what route do you take? hope to be doing DCU to leopardstown soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Phoenix park cycle path was like an ice rink this morning about 7.30am. Apparently it was gritted sometime after 8am. Main roads into town were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Killiney hill rd down from the stores towards Bray/Greystones
    part of a favourite spin route,
    any local advice on likely conditions tmrw morning 10.30am ish ? normally gritted/salted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looks bad in NCD this morning. Careful out there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    Looks bad in NCD this morning. Careful out there
    A very cautious commute in for me! Main routes were treated but some dodgy side roads.

what route do you take? hope to be doing DCU to leopardstown soon.

Blackrock, Merrion Gates, Beach road, Eastlink, East Wall Road, Ballybough, Richmond Road, Grace Park road, Collins Avenue, Old Swords road through Santry.

going home I tend to go down to Drumcondra and turn left at Richmond road to make use of the bus lanes from Whitehall.

Long stretches without lights. Good road surfaces, bus lanes.

DCU to Leopardstown could be done pretty much in opposite direction except you need to cross N11 at some point. I hate cycling on the N11 so I would probably go up Booterstown Avenue, across Merrion avenue, Grove Avenue to come out at Stillorgan and then up Brewery road. Minimising my time on N11.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i was considering newtownpark avenue as an option.

yeah, i was considering newtownpark avenue as an option.

That would work, not a bad road for cycling. About 1km longer but then you would have to face the horrible "cycle track" on Leopardstown Road depending on whereabouts in Leopardtown you are going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tough day, waited til 1100 to get out, my cul de sac was frozen completely this morning.
    Managed 56 odd k in the end with a few cadence drills.
    Looking forward to the Kinning Cross race tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

its not worth it. stay in bed get up late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

morana wrote: »
    its not worth it. stay in bed get up late.

It was worth it, great chat with a good mate and cyclist. You can solve all the problems of the world on the bike :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

RobFowl wrote: »
    It was worth it, great chat with a good mate and cyclist. You can solve all the problems of the world on the bike :)

Except punctures. I tend to have to get off the bike to fix those... I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

RobFowl wrote: »

yeah and you and the good mate hit black ice and end up in a heap on the road. get on the turbo and phone him ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Is it OK to take my schwabe Snow/ice tyres off the bike now? It's great exercise but it's like cycling a tractor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

morana wrote: »
    yeah and you and the good mate hit black ice and end up in a heap on the road. get on the turbo and phone him ffs!
    Someone gets cranky when they don't get out for a spin (or when Liverpool mess up)

CramCycle wrote: »
    Someone gets cranky when they don't get out for a spin (or when Liverpool mess up)

A penalty not given and an off side missed by man u's 12th player does not mean LFC messed up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would hazard a guess that complaints/comments about a ref / decisions are more correct to another forum and thus way off piste here :-D

Lack of snow and ice was welcome Sunday. Lots of cyclists out, some even in shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Is it OK to take my schwabe Snow/ice tyres off the bike now? It's great exercise but it's like cycling a tractor.

You need a new bike. Instead of changing the tyres just change the bike according to prevailing conditions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Has anyone been out around Enniskerry yet today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was. Cold and back roads were greasy, some hail, otherwise fine :)

Advertisement