Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

great head phones.. blue tooth is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

These are 319 in Dixons in Dublin airport if anyone is traveling
    How would the QC30's compare to these as I would not be able to wear these at work but in ear earphones are ok?

Can the noise cancellation be turned off on these? A review I read said it can't (was the only "con" given about them). But using a work colleagues a while back I could have sworn he turned it off first and then turned it on to demonstrate how effective the cancellation is.

They are 311 euro delivered on Amazon.es, not bad but really should have bitten in the Harvey Norman sale.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

westside wrote: »
    These are 319 in Dixons in Dublin airport if anyone is traveling
    How would the QC30's compare to these as I would not be able to wear these at work but in ear earphones are ok?

For inears, I think people recommend the QC20's rather then the QC30's. I'm not sure what it is now, but I remember reading that there were some issues with the QC30's

I've the QC20 and they are absolutely excellent. They even have more noise cancelling ability then the QC35's according to websites that have done lab testing of both. This is particularly true for people who wear glasses.

Obviously they are wired, rather then bluetooth wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fourtwozero

This has me in a quandary, bluetooth lowers audio quality - its not really suited to audio. However If the other phone companies follow suit and remove the headphone jack I dont want to be stuck with a €300 set of ear warmers. WIFI based headphones would make more sense, as long as the extra power requirements could be met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This has me in a quandary, bluetooth lowers audio quality - its not really suited to audio. However If the other phone companies follow suit and remove the headphone jack I dont want to be stuck with a €300 set of ear warmers. WIFI based headphones would make more sense, as long as the extra power requirements could be met.

I agree that Wifi seems like a good solution - but how would it actually work when you're out and about? Would the headphones create a hotspot that your phone connects to (thus preventing your phone using any other wifi), or would your phone create a hotspot for your headphones (burning your battery). And if every phone on the packed dart carriage was creating a wifi network, the interference would be awful.

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory etc, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

errlloyd wrote: »
    I agree that Wifi seems like a good solution - but how would it actually work when you're out and about? Would the headphones create a hotspot that your phone connects to (thus preventing your phone using any other wifi), or would your phone create a hotspot for your headphones (burning your battery). And if every phone on the packed dart carriage was creating a wifi network, the interference would be awful.

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.

Many features use WiFi without being connected to an actual WiFI SSID. Airdrop on iOS is one.

Bluetooth is used as it's more efficient. There's a multitude of factors that determine audio quality, bluetooth plays a small part in this.

TBH you shouldn't be buying these for sound quality, these are purely I'm in a plane or work in a noisy environment and would like semi-decent sound at a reasonable volume level and they fit that bill nicely. They live in my carry-on bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

TBH you shouldn't be buying these for sound quality, these are purely I'm in a plane or work in a noisy environment and would like semi-decent sound at a reasonable volume level and they fit that bill nicely. They live in my carry-on bag.

Cool, I didn't realise WiFi worked like that.

I agree with you about the sound quality on BOSE, but I think headphones as a completely separate smart device has potential. Obviously they don't have to be BOSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory etc, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.
    Philips did that for some wireless speakers and I think they were a flop (at least they were reduced on here a lot)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I wouldn't worry too much about that, at the very least you can just get a Bluetooth to 3.5mm converter. I use a cheap one to make my head phones wireless and it works quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Cool, I didn't realise WiFi worked like that

Only problem would be that WiFi is a battery hog compared to Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Shiny wrote: »
    This has me in a quandary, bluetooth lowers audio quality - its not really suited to audio.

A CD is a PCM 1.4-Mbit stream
    Bluetooth aptX is 352 Kbit/sec stream

Given that CD can be losslessly compressed to 700kbit/s you're really losing very little quality with Bluetooth even if your original file is a CD quality PCM.
    I dare say that if you fed an 18/24 bit stream (say SACD or similar) out over aptX you may well end up with a superior (albeit lower bandwidth) output than CD.
    Throw in that these headphones are designed to be used outside or in a noisy environment, you're really not looking for HiFi in them, you're looking for a best effort against a din.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The problem with wifi is that it uses vastly more power then bluetooth, which would thus mean much shorter run time or way larger and heavier batteries.

For instance the 20 hour battery life you get out of the QC35's would only be about 4 hours with wifi.

Also there is nothing stopping Bluetooth having the same range and performance as wifi, if you increased the power to the Bluetooth radio to the same levels that wifi use. But then it would have the same battery use as wifi.

Bluetooth is good at what it is designed for short range, low bitrate, low power draw.

BTW you can still use a cable with the iPhone 7 and other jack less headphones, it just requires a dongle (and yes you can't charge and listen to music at the same time then, which sucks). But it certainly isn't the case that you have to through out all your old wired headsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Can the noise cancellation be turned off on these? A review I read said it can't (was the only "con" given about them). But using a work colleagues a while back I could have sworn he turned it off first and then turned it on to demonstrate how effective the cancellation is.

They are 311 euro delivered on Amazon.es, not bad but really should have bitten in the Harvey Norman sale.

Yeah you can. On the right side there's a button to turn off noise cancelling and bluetooth. Some difference when you knock it off and back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I stand by my statement. You don't buy a Lambo to nip to Lidl.

I thought the sound quality was exceptionally good on them to be fair.

I also don't know how people notice a difference with Bluetooth over wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a pair of QC35s and I agree that they are excellent headphones. As far as the sound quality goes they seem fine to me without being outstanding, but that's not why I bought them, the noise cancelling is top notch.

However Sony have just released noise cancelling bluetooth headphones and the reviews are stating they have better sound quality with equally as good noise cancelling. I've never actually used them myself so I can't vouch for that but they might be something to consider.

This post has been deleted.

They have excellent sound quality for a closed back headphone, just that they wouldn't have comparable quality to a a pair of €300 open back headphones.

But then in a noisy environment an open back headphone would sound terrible and be almost useless.

It is like complaining that a Land Rover Discovery isn't as fast as an equally priced Porsche 911. It's a silly comparison because you would never dream of taking your Porsche in a farmers field or up a mountain. The right tool for the job.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    Yeah you can. On the right side there's a button to turn off noise cancelling and bluetooth. Some difference when you knock it off and back on again.

Are you sure about this, the only buttons i see are the power button and the three buttons for controlling volume/tracks along with the answer button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this, the only buttons i see are the power button and the three buttons for controlling volume/tracks along with the answer button.

You need to have the cable attached as it knocks off the Bluetooth. You can't knock it off when using Bluetooth though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah yeah, I used it that way ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I know they are not Bose and they are not wireless, but they are headphones and they have active noise cancelling

In case anyone is interested Ibood have Beats 2.0 with active noise cancelling for €88 + postage, seems not a bad price, although I have never tried a pair.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I know they are not Bose and they are not wireless, but they are headphones and they have active noise cancelling

In case anyone is interested Ibood have Beats 2.0 with active noise cancelling for €88 + postage, seems not a bad price, although I have never tried a pair.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Has anyone any opinions on the noise cancelling qualities of these? Or experience with Ibood? They seem cheap for what they are

rustynutz wrote: »
    Has anyone..... aexperience with Ibood?

Bought loads of stuff from iBood, never had a problem other than their delivery of the goods. It might appear after a week or after 6 weeks but everything always arrived eventually.

Bought loads of stuff from iBood, never had a problem other than their delivery of the goods. It might appear after a week or after 6 weeks but everything always arrived eventually.

Sold out on Ibood I see

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fourtwozero

The thing about the Bluetooth vs WIFI, when it come to a Bose headset is its a very expensive headset for noise cancelling and best effort audio. You could use a much cheaper noise isolating set and get better insulation from noise.

I often use "comply premium isolation foam earbud tips" which give a very decent amount of noise reduction for the 20 euro for a pack of tips and any cheap set of earbuds. You can have the volume at a half the normal volume, for most environments. Also, you have lost nothing if you leave them in a hotel room/plane/train/ etc

I have been using these for the last week and got them while waiting on the fence in this thread.:)

They do a decent job at the lower frequencies, very little at the high frequencies. I mainly use them on the bus and it greatly reduces the engine noise. They most certainly allow you to play your music at a much lower volume than previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm sitting on the fence myself. I'm considering these as a starter option
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC7B-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back/dp/B002HWJT1A

I'm sitting on the fence myself. I'm considering these as a starter option
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC7B-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back/dp/B002HWJT1A

They look good but look at the 1 star reviews before buying, there seems to be problems with quality

• Advertisement

The thing about the Bluetooth vs WIFI, when it come to a Bose headset is its a very expensive headset for noise cancelling and best effort audio. You could use a much cheaper noise isolating set and get better insulation from noise.

I often use "comply premium isolation foam earbud tips" which give a very decent amount of noise reduction for the 20 euro for a pack of tips and any cheap set of earbuds. You can have the volume at a half the normal volume, for most environments. Also, you have lost nothing if you leave them in a hotel room/plane/train/ etc

Good tip, I've a pair of Etymotics in ear headphones with Comply tips that I used for years before getting the QC20's.

They were a very good sounding earphone and did help isolate noise, but when I got the Bose I found them to be completely in a league of their own in terms of noise cancellation.

But still a great idea as a budget option, the Comply tips, not the Ety's they are blooming expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Tried repeatedly the QC 35s and just can't get past the size as they appear on my noggin'. My crown is average size but wearing them makes me feel like my ears protrude to my shoulders. I'm going to give the QC 30's a shot from Amazon and hope for the best despite a large number of middling reviews.

Tazium wrote: »
    Just can't get past the size as they appear on my noggin'.

Lose the mirror. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

^ had a giggle thanks. It's not the reflection, its the baance and perception that they are large. Seeing them on others looks fine.

Tazium wrote: »
    Tried repeatedly the QC 35s and just can't get past the size as they appear on my noggin'. My crown is average size but wearing them makes me feel like my ears protrude to my shoulders. I'm going to give the QC 30's a shot from Amazon and hope for the best despite a large number of meddling reviews.

While not wireless, the QC20's are very well regarded, I have them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Price gone back up on amazon.es, all euro amazons around same price now.

Looking for sub 300e before i pull trigger

I decided to return the cheaper noise cancelling earphones I got last week and went for the Bose QC20 set in the end. I couldn't help thinking the whole time with the cheaper ones, "If I was wearing Bose I wouldn't hear this....:pac:"

I will report back on the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I stopped by Dixon's in LHR yesterday & tried out both the QC35's & the Sony MDR-1000X. Such was the difference in the effectiveness of noise cancellation, that I got the sales guy to ensure the Bose were set up correctly. It could be that the environment downstairs in T5 at the time might just have favoured the Sony's strong points (and the Bose may well out-perform them over engine drone at 28,000ft). Think the pricing is comparable & I'd be interested to read how they're being reviewed like for like.

Pretty sure the bose are either on..or not on your head. Only way to turn off NC is if the bose use the wire.

Interesting that the sonys were so much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

BArra wrote: »

I'm in the same boat ..... waiting for Harvey Norman to reduce them again or for Euro/Sterling to near parity to buy them on amazon.co.uk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I stopped by Dixon's in LHR yesterday & tried out both the QC35's & the Sony MDR-1000X. Such was the difference in the effectiveness of noise cancellation, that I got the sales guy to ensure the Bose were set up correctly. It could be that the environment downstairs in T5 at the time might just have favoured the Sony's strong points (and the Bose may well out-perform them over engine drone at 28,000ft). Think the pricing is comparable & I'd be interested to read how they're being reviewed like for like.
    I was in Dixons in T5 yesterday and tried the QC35s and they were silent, as in completely silent. i was hugely impressed.....279GBP vs 219 for the QC25s......tough decision, i like the wireless option. im in the US so im going to check the prices out here too......ill post what i find.

BArra wrote: »

I went for them at 312 euro (including delivery) on Amazon.es. Reckoned it could be a while before they drop below 300 again and for the sake of the price of 3 pints said I go for them. Ordered last week but not dispatched yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Bit late to call the store but does anyone know if Dixons LHR have the QC35 s in stock?
    Sending my QC25 s with a mate to swap (and pay difference) Many thanks

Edit: ctlsleh answered the price q £279, just if they're in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Bit late to call the store but does anyone know if Dixons LHR have the QC35 s in stock?
    Sending my QC25 s with a mate to swap (and pay difference) Many thanks

Edit: ctlsleh answered the price q £279, just if they're in stock.

They had loads last Wednesday so unless there's been a run on them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

£279 in Dixon's Heathrow today, about €322.

Same price on www.hifix.co.uk with free shipping.

Also the Sony MDR-1000X are 312 Euro on amazon France at the moment,  http://amzn.eu/5wxmFxR
    Seems like the best price around by far!

• Advertisement

Good deal but the price is back up to 399 for the sonys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Same price on www.hifix.co.uk with free shipping.

Also the Sony MDR-1000X are 312 Euro on amazon France at the moment,  http://amzn.eu/5wxmFxR
    Seems like the best price around by far!

Fair play, bought these on Amazon warehouse last night but cancelled there this morning and bought them new, saved 3 euro as well!

By the way Bose are still 299 on Amazon.es for the silver ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

scubapro wrote:
    Fair play, bought these on Amazon warehouse last night but cancelled there this morning and bought them new, saved 3 euro as well!

Could of had these for around €210 on Amazon Warehouse in November when the 20% deal was on! Raging I didn't pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

sweetie wrote: »
    Could of had these for around €210 on Amazon Warehouse in November when the 20% deal was on! Raging I didn't pull the trigger.
    Ya serious? Gutted I missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Received the black QC35 from amazon.es with free shipping total 302e, original order amazon screwed up so they gave me free shipping. They are also shipped from Amazon Ireland. Wearing them in open plan office and they are great for blocking out office noise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement