Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Mine arrived on Monday. Really nice piece of kit.

My Canary Cam arrived today as well with my last two GU10s so that's everything arrived.

Nice one. As I say I'm not really in a rush once the order is honoured. Currently using a Harmony remote so I'm happy to wait.

Still haven't taken the Canary out of th box. 😀 Let me know how you get on with both when you have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adox wrote: »
    Nice one. As I say I'm not really in a rush once the order is honoured. Currently using a Harmony remote so I'm happy to wait.

Still haven't taken the Canary out of th box. 😀 Let me know how you get on with both when you have a chance.

Canary is good but I found it a bit fiddly to get set up. Streaming live seems to be about 7-10 seconds behind what's actually happening.

Canary is good but I found it a bit fiddly to get set up. Streaming live seems to be about 7-10 seconds behind what's actually happening.

All this talk made me set mine up. Was a right pain to set up. Hold finger for Bluetooth connection instructs the app, to eventually find out after digging through menus that the firmware may not to be updated so you need to connect the audio cable instead. Then that said it had problems connecting until out of the blue I was connected.

Wa easy to add the Mrs to the device. The app is fairly simple to navigate. Tried a couple of placements befor finding a nice spot for it. Live video is 6 seconds behind for me which is fine.

Have geofencing set up on two phones and nighttime set up. Privacy mode for when home(other than when in night mode).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Any tips for getting a Philips hue on the cheap? Missed out the sale on Amazon by like 10 minutes on Prime day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

xpletiv wrote: »
    Any tips for getting a Philips hue on the cheap? Missed out the sale on Amazon by like 10 minutes on Prime day :(

Wait for the next sale or buy second hand.

Delay on my Logitech Elite arriving. Was due today but wasn't dispatched and got an email from Amazon saying they were having trouble getting stock and I could cancel if I want(no chance at that price)

So leaving the order open. Hopefully it will be fulfilled. There's no estimated delivery date on it at the moment but I'm happy to sit on it and wait once I do eventually get it.

New delivery date of 28/29 July.

Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Got a GH and Chromecast Dixons Gatwick south terminal today 119 STG.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Harmony Hub down to £78 at the moment on Amazon

Delay on my Logitech Elite arriving. Was due today but wasn't dispatched and got an email from Amazon saying they were having trouble getting stock and I could cancel if I want(no chance at that price)

So leaving the order open. Hopefully it will be fulfilled. There's no estimated delivery date on it at the moment but I'm happy to sit on it and wait once I do eventually get it.

Logitech arrived today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Logitech arrived today. :)

I missed that deal, can I ask what price you got it for?

I missed that deal, can I ask what price you got it for?

Think it was around £115 sterling.

Edit: £116.64 to be exact.

Think it was around £115 sterling.

Edit: £116.64 to be exact.

It's really handy. I cut down from 4 remotes to 1 and I've it set up to control my Hue lights as well.

It's really handy. I cut down from 4 remotes to 1 and I've it set up to control my Hue lights as well.

Yeah I've had a couple of Harmony remotes, currently using a Touch.
    Always liked th look of the Elite and wanted a hub, especially since adding Hue Bulbs and an Echo Dot.

Could never justify the price but a combination of the Prime sale and some vouchers has it sitting here.

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

The Blink cameras are 20% off on Amazon.co.uk this coming Sunday 13th (got the heads up in an email): https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Blink+Home+Security&index=electronics-uk&search-type=ss

424803.png

Spocker wrote: »
    The Blink cameras are 20% off on Amazon.co.uk this coming Sunday 13th (got the heads up in an email): https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Blink+Home+Security&index=electronics-uk&search-type=ss

424803.png

I've never heard of Blink Cameras. Anyone here use them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I've never heard of Blink Cameras. Anyone here use them?

I do. They work with IFTTT now so have them arm/disarm automatically based on phone location. First home disarms, last out arms.

Work on batteries so no wiring required (apart from base station).

You can take image or view video live but this I'm told will use up batteries so don't often us that feature.

If triggered it'll save video to cloud (you specify the length of clips you want recorded) and notify your phone.

They're meant to be bringing out a siren and number pad that can be added to system.

All in all I'm pretty happy about it, only real knock is that it doesn't have proper night vision, instead has an LED light it uses if triggered when dark. The movement sensor obviously has no problems with dark.

McG wrote: »
    I do. They work with IFTTT now so have them arm/disarm automatically based on phone location. First home disarms, last out arms.

Work on batteries so no wiring required (apart from base station).

You can take image or view video live but this I'm told will use up batteries so don't often us that feature.

If triggered it'll save video to cloud (you specify the length of clips you want recorded) and notify your phone.

They're meant to be bringing out a siren and number pad that can be added to system.

All in all I'm pretty happy about it, only real knock is that it doesn't have proper night vision, instead has an LED light it uses if triggered when dark. The movement sensor obviously has no problems with dark.

Cheers for that. Might be worth having a look. Only thing is I would be putting on in the utility room to cover the back door and the dogs sleep in there so they would end up triggering the light half the night.

Cheers for that. Might be worth having a look. Only thing is I would be putting on in the utility room to cover the back door and the dogs sleep in there so they would end up triggering the light half the night.

yeah, movement when armed would set off the led light in there. Maybe you could point at the door to the utility room instead (though not much use if it's specifically your utility room you're trying to monitor)?

yeah, movement when armed would set off the led light in there. Maybe you could point at the door to the utility room instead (though not much use if it's specifically your utility room you're trying to monitor)?

Its a long narrow room with a window and door at opposite ends on the same wall. If I place the camera in the corner at one end (facing towards the door) it should catch the door and window at an angle.

The light only triggers when they are armed?

I might pick up the two pack and could always add the X version (waterproof and night vision) when it launches in Europe.

Did I read that they are also bringing out door/window sensors?

Its a long narrow room with a window and door at opposite ends on the same wall. If I place the camera in the corner at one end (facing towards the door) it should catch the door and window at an angle.

The light only triggers when they are armed?

I might pick up the two pack and could always add the X version (waterproof and night vision) when it launches in Europe.

Did I read that they are also bringing out door/window sensors?

yes, think there are sensors on way too but they announced them ages ago and haven't heard anything since (same for siren and number pad).

Yes, the light will only turn on when it's armed. You can do that via the app manually or using a schedule. Alternatively you can make up whatever trigger you can think of using IFTTT.

• Advertisement

yes, think there are sensors on way too but they announced them ages ago and haven't heard anything since (same for siren and number pad).

Yes, the light will only turn on when it's armed. You can do that via the app manually or using a schedule. Alternatively you can make up whatever trigger you can think of using IFTTT.

Once the sensors are available I might get rid of Phonewatch alarm. Yes it's been expensive at the start but I'd drop the monthly monitoring costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

Can anyone recommend a remotely operated control panel for a central heating control.
    I guess ill have to upgrade the entire unit.

I have a regular central heating unit installed on the wall, however I'm thinking of opening up part of a house as an airbnb
    apartment - With guest access limited I want to be able to offer a remote control device that allows (guest) to use a boost button or a programmable timer.

Looking for a cheap option as this will be its main purpose - i'm not after individual heat controls - just a one button turn on/ turn off

Anyone recommend such a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

mods please delete above post - wrong thread,
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

dball wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a remotely operated control panel for a central heating control.
    I guess ill have to upgrade the entire unit.

I have a regular central heating unit installed on the wall, however I'm thinking of opening up part of a house as an airbnb
    apartment - With guest access limited I want to be able to offer a remote control device that allows (guest) to use a boost button or a programmable timer.

Looking for a cheap option as this will be its main purpose - i'm not after individual heat controls - just a one button turn on/ turn off

Anyone recommend such a thing

If that part of the house has it's own zone then you could look at hive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Banggood have the Xiaomi Mi Yeelight 9W RGB E27 on offer at the moment...
    2.Original Xiaomi Mi Yeelight 9W RGB E27 LED Wireless WIFI Control Smart Light Lamp Bulb AC220V
    Original Price: $29.77
    Coupon Price: $12.93
    Coupon code: XMY999
    Link: https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Yeelight-9W-RGB-E27-LED-Wireless-WIFI-Control-Smart-Light-Lamp-Bulb-AC220V-p-1054192.html?

Seemed like a good price to me but I have done any comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Vesternet sale on everything on Monday.

http://www.vesternet.com/blog/2017/08/final-summer-sale/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

echo / echo dot on offer at amazon;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GAGVIE4
    £5 off the dot
    £50 off the echo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

d31b0y wrote: »
    £5 off the dot
    £50 off the echo

Looks like they're trying to get ahead of Google's rumoured upcoming smaller device by having their's in homes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭roosterman71

d31b0y wrote: »
    £5 off the dot
    £50 off the echo

Is it worth it? I'm a total noob really here but what would Alexa give me? Is there some handy guide or users experiences on here that can convince me to buy?

Is it worth it? I'm a total noob really here but what would Alexa give me? Is there some handy guide or users experiences on here that can convince me to buy?

Do you have any smart bulbs/devices in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Do you have any smart bulbs/devices in your house?

I'm on the road to ruination with hue bulbs. That's about it so far. I have Sonos set up too

I'm on the road to ruination with hue bulbs. That's about it so far. I have Sonos set up too

You can control your bulbs then. Link Spotify/TuneIn through the Echo and play over your Sonos. Set calender appointments, set timers, ask for useless information.

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pound took another hit too. €1.082/£1 atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Maplin Ireland has the Google Home for €129.95 (€40 discount)

May be convenient for some without having to order from the UK (where it is £100 in a few places)

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Maplin Ireland has the Google Home for €129.95 (€40 discount)

May be convenient for some without having to order from the UK (where it is £100 in a few places)

I've two Dots and been tempted by a Home for a good while now. I don't need it but think I'll be buying :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I've two Dots and been tempted by a Home for a good while now. I don't need it but think I'll be buying :pac:

As am I Emmet. I have a dot also, but Bing Search is it's Achilles Heel in my opinion.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    As am I Emmet. I have a dot also, but Bing Search is it's Achilles Heel in my opinion.

I've two. The Home is £99 + £8 shipping from napkin.co.uk so about €115.

Payday Monday :)

I've two. The Home is £99 + £8 shipping from napkin.co.uk so about €115.

Payday Monday :)

Just bought it on Maplin through Parcel Motel. Was planning on waiting until Black Friday.

£99 + free delivery so about €111 including Parcel Motel.

Just bought it on Maplin through Parcel Motel. Was planning on waiting until Black Friday.

£99 + free delivery so about €111 including Parcel Motel.

Free delivery? I thought it was £10?

• Advertisement

Free delivery? I thought it was £10?

Free to NI. Must be a newish offer but it's on the site: https://www.maplin.co.uk/help-centre/article/deliveryinfo

Free to NI. Must be a newish offer but it's on the site: https://www.maplin.co.uk/help-centre/article/deliveryinfo

I don't think I'll bother waiting until Monday so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

just pulled the trigger on the echo. since it is 50 quid off!!
    So much for saving for my wedding in a months time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

just pulled the trigger on the echo. since it is 50 quid off!!
    So much for saving for my wedding in a months time :)
    Why don't you wait and see how you get on with Alexa, and put the wedding on hold? I've found her very responsive with setting timers, turning lights on and off, and changing the radio station. Could be a real bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Tado Smart Radiator Valves almost half price. From £60 -> £35. Great price for these given the exchange rate
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M690PQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why don't you wait and see how you get on with Alexa, and put the wedding on hold? I've found her very responsive with setting timers, turning lights on and off, and changing the radio station. Could be a real bargain.

And she shuts up when you tell her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

niallo27 wrote: »
    And she shuts up when you tell her.

You still have to shout at her a few times to get what you want though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

You still have to shout at her a few times to get what you want though :pac:

Cancelled my order. Decided to order google home instead.
    Herself might be able to tell that to turn on netflix's on Chromecast instead of ordering me around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Shlippery

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

how did you find that price? if you click the link its 28 but if you look at the bloom any other way its 59?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Shlippery

how did you find that price? if you click the link its 28 but if you look at the bloom any other way its 59?

I've my wishlist loaded onto camelcamelcamel.com and it noticed the price change, I thought it was a mistake too when I logged on and saw the higher price, it's just out of stock right now so showing the next available one.. but the price still stands so I put the order in!

rsvkuHL.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement