Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

adox wrote: »
    Tempted to pull the treasure on this. Been looking at it since sending my Canary back.

Arlo Q is down from £149 to £119. Cheapest its been in a while. It has been down as far as £100 and may get down that far on Black Friday but I think I may go with it at this price:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Security-Camera-NETGEAR-VMC3040-100UKS/dp/B01AWADR4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508486292&sr=8-2&keywords=arlo+q

How exactly does this integrate with Alexa? Can't see any useful voice commands to use with it. Maybe with echo show only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

degsie wrote: »
    How exactly does this integrate with Alexa? Can't see any useful voice commands to use with it. Maybe with echo show only?

I honestly don’t know, I didn’t even look at that feature. The generous free cloud storage for the life of the product was one of the main selling points for me.

Anyway, I ordered it earlier so will report back when I have it up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

adox wrote: »
    Tempted to pull the treasure on this. Been looking at it since sending my Canary back.

Arlo Q is down from to . Cheapest its been in a while. It has been down as far as and may get down that far on Black Friday but I think I may go with it at this price:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Security-Camera-NETGEAR-VMC3040-100UKS/dp/B01AWADR4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508486292&sr=8-2&keywords=arlo+q

25% are 1 Star reviews tho, all the Arlo stuff is like this.
    That's fukkin' terrible loike! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

25% are 1 Star reviews tho, all the Arlo stuff is like this.
    That's fukkin' terrible loike! :eek:

All the reviews are lumped into one. A lot of the negatives are for the wireless Arlo.

Plus I always take Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt and look elsewhere to research. Worst comes to the worst Amazon have great customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Shlippery wrote: »
    I'd actually got onto them on chat about it and they said to wait until today even though I knew well it wouldn't be dispatched in time for todays expected delivery. Still happy to wait it out. It'll be a nice surprise if they honour the price.

Don't suppose you heard anything further on this?
    I got an email today with a revised delivery date of sometime in November. Checked and they have them in stock so not sure why they can't send them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can live with the new delivery date, I’m in no hurry to get the 2 I ordered.
    It’s too good a price to pass up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Shlippery

skerry wrote: »
    Don't suppose you heard anything further on this?
    I got an email today with a revised delivery date of sometime in November. Checked and they have them in stock so not sure why they can't send them out.

New update for November too, could be a potential Black Friday offer they were stalling on ? Let’s hope for the best !

I can live with the new delivery date, I’m in no hurry to get the 2 I ordered.
    It’s too good a price to pass up on.

Same as that. Definitely not cancelling at that price. In the process of moving house in the next few weeks and would be nice to have it for the latest delivery date for behind the TV.

Hello,

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

"Philips Hue Personal Lighting Bloom Colour Changing Mood Light (8 W LED Colour Changing Table Light) - White, Works with Alexa"
    Previous estimated arrival date: November 10 2017 - November 27 2017
    New estimated arrival date: October 30 2017 - October 31 2017

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Hello,

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

"Philips Hue Personal Lighting Bloom Colour Changing Mood Light (8 W LED Colour Changing Table Light) - White, Works with Alexa"

Damn, i didnt get that email :(

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    Damn, i didnt get that email :(

He must be ahead of us in the queue

Didn't get it either but sounds promising

aaand they've taken my money. So think we're safe enough on that bargain lads.

Savour the moment!

edit: delivered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

aaand they've taken my money. So think we're safe enough on that bargain lads.

Savour the moment!

What was this bargain sorry? I've gone back three pages but can't find it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

What was this bargain sorry? I've gone back three pages but can't find it. Thanks.

28 sterling for a hue iris on amazon. I’ve three on the way !

Cheers, pity I missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Bloom :)

I ordered Aug 30th @ 13:45pm & latest mail from Amazon mentions a November dispatch.

Thanks for the heads up I found them on Amazon Italy for €32 so I ordered 2. Cheers
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B009567RE2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

Nice , those ones will have different plugs though and that’s the old gen hub in the image. Is their different gen blooms ?

Two of mine are arriving on the 25th of October and one mid November.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

A word of warning on Eu plugs and hue, I bought an led light strip on amazon.es and after using a bulky travel converter decided to do a plug conversion so bought a uk/irl plug and chopped the wire thinking it world be a straightforward rewire (as earth not required). However the wires are really thin (as in maybe 10% thickness of a normal blue / red wire) and I haven’t managed to get it working yet on the uk / irl plug and as the Eu plug is a sealed one I can’t reconnect.

I’m sure there is a simple solution (which I haven’t figured out) but just wanted to let people be aware that a €5 saving to buy of non uk Amazon may end up costing a little more

• Advertisement

that’s the old gen hub in the image. Is their different gen blooms ?

Thats actually not a bridge, that bloom light linked from Italy is pre hue, and came with a physical controller, so technically it's not a Hue light, but apparently its an easy enough hack to get it to work with hue and be added as a hue light.

All they did when Hue came out was ditched the controller, tweaked the software, and tripled the price of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭deezell

A word of warning on Eu plugs and hue, I bought an led light strip on amazon.es and after using a bulky travel converter decided to do a plug conversion so bought a uk/irl plug and chopped the wire thinking it world be a straightforward rewire (as earth not required). However the wires are really thin (as in maybe 10% thickness of a normal blue / red wire) and I haven’t managed to get it working yet on the uk / irl plug and as the Eu plug is a sealed one I can’t reconnect.

I’m sure there is a simple solution (which I haven’t figured out) but just wanted to let people be aware that a €5 saving to buy of non uk Amazon may end up costing a little more
    Are you sure the 'plug' you cut off isn't also a power adapter feeding lower voltage or dc or both to the strip? If so your strip is toast if you put the mains across it.

Thanks for the heads up I found them on Amazon Italy for €32 so I ordered 2. Cheers
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B009567RE2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

I believe you'll need a few tweaks to get these lights to work with Hue,
    (or possibly use the iConnect Hue app)

This is what Philips themselves say;

Are existing Living Colors products and Hue bloom compatible with each other?

No, Living Colors and Hue bloom work on different protocols, we cannot guarantee this. This is the reason we developed the Hue range to ensure seamless compatibility via software updates.

I believe you'll need a few tweaks to get these lights to work with Hue,
    (or possibly use the iConnect Hue app)

This is what Philips themselves say;

Are existing Living Colors products and Hue bloom compatible with each other?

No, Living Colors and Hue bloom work on different protocols, we cannot guarantee this. This is the reason we developed the Hue range to ensure seamless compatibility via software updates.

Oh balls, I'm a small bit clued in tech wise so how many hoops will I have to jump trough to get it operating with my hue bridge?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

deezell wrote: »
    Are you sure the 'plug' you cut off isn't also a power adapter feeding lower voltage or dc or both to the strip? If so your strip is toast if you put the mains across it.

Could possibly be. It was only €20 (doesn’t have hue connectivity) so not the end of the world (I could bodge the bodge and reconnect the wires but not the end of the world if my stupidity only ends up costing €20)

But my point still stands that Eu plugs are a pain the ass due to adaptors and not always worth the hassle to save a few €s

Oh balls, I'm a small bit clued in tech wise so how many hoops will I have to jump trough to get it operating with my hue bridge?

I think that iConnectHue app will do it, however I don't have it, or one of those particular lights.

The app might be €5, but people here say its very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Its not that hard to get them to connect. I have the Aura that the hue bridge found when i put in the serial number.

Philips dont guarantee that they will work but for now they do easily enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think that iConnectHue app will do it, however I don't have it, or one of those particular lights.

Absolutely worth it, most have for any Hue owner and a steal compared to what many of us are spending on Hue.

I don't use it day to day, but it is very powerful when it comes to configuring and setting up devices.

BTW I've a couple of pre-hue lamps (Auris, etc.) and I've gotten them to work just from with the Hue hub with this app.

Any Android equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Any Android equivalent?

Ive never used iConnect but All4Hue seems to be the android equivalent. Its not as extensive but still gives a lot more options than the official Hue app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

NOt sure if it was posted, new to the forum, but the Bayonet Hue Bulb is now 3 for 2 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748MDYJN/ref=twister_B075PBYJJ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got myself 6 bulbs for just over 50£.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Maplin are also doing the 3 for 2 on a much wider range of bulbs.

I bought 3 x E27 White Ambiance twin packs from Maplin UK during the week. €116 + Parcel Motel fees compared to ordering from Maplin IE which would have been €149.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Is this coming Friday an Amazon Black Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Is this coming Friday an Amazon Black Friday?

No, the last Friday of November usually.

davo2001 wrote: »
    No, the last Friday of November usually.

I'd be in for a few Nest Protect's if they were the right price.

I'm pretty much done with Hue unless theres really good deals on B22 colour bulbs/light strips/blooms/Iris or remotes/sensors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I'm pretty much done with Hue unless theres really good deals on B22 colour bulbs/light strips/blooms/Iris or remotes/sensors.

So your pretty much not done :D

VeVeX wrote: »
    So your pretty much not done :D

Yes
    Kitchen: 10 colour GU10's - 2 Light Strips (1 with 3x 1m extensions) - sensor & remote
    Hallway: 2 colour E27's
    Sitting Room: 3 Colour B22's (2 in lamps, 1 in centre light) - Bloom (behind TV) - remote
    Landing: 4 GU10 white ambiance - remote
    Kids room: 1 colour E27 (centre light)
    Herself's office: 1 colour E27 (centre light)
    my office: 1 colour B22 (centre light) - sensor
    master bedroom: 2 colour E27's (bedside lamps) - 1 White Ambiance B22 (centre light) - 1 Bloom behind TV - 2 remotes
    Bathroom: 1 White only E27 (ceiling light)
    Ensuite: 1 White only E27 (ceiling light)
    Attic (guest room): 3 White only, 3 in lamps - 6 GU10 White Ambiance - remote
    Back Garden/side laneway: 1 E27 Lux (original white only)
    Porch/Front Door lamp: 1 White only B22
    Every single bulb I could change, has been changed to HUE.

I’m done.

I mean no.

Lets wait til Black Friday and see what happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Hello,

Well, mines been dispatched.

My 2 are being dispatched inn saturday!! Happy days, they might even arrive on Tuesday morning for Halloween

Just got email today also, should be here by 27th ....huzahhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mine have been bumped to the 3/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Wishing I'd ordered more than one now. On the way !

Ring doorbell v2 and chime kit in Argos for €210.00. €10 back on a €100 spend this weekend so works out at €200.

Around the €180-€185 + Parcel Motel fees from Argos UK so only saving €10 or €15 going that route.

morritty wrote: »
    Well, mines been dispatched.

And mine is sitting behind my Telly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ring floodlight cam down from £249 to £209 on Amazon UK
    Spotlight cam, white, also reduced by £10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Blink XT available. £119 for the single add on camera. Bit steep if you ask me. But gonna get it.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Maplin are also doing the 3 for 2 on a much wider range of bulbs.

I bought 3 x E27 White Ambiance twin packs from Maplin UK during the week. €116 + Parcel Motel fees compared to ordering from Maplin IE which would have been €149.90.

Just to note my White Ambiance E27 twin packs arrived through Parcel Motel and everything in good order. The packs were in a bubble bag and unscathed.

I've just put an order in for 3 x E27 Richer Colour twin packs. Working out at under £29 a bulb including Parcel Motel feels.

3 for 2 offer ends tomorrow, 31st.

Elgato eve plugs are down from the usual 45 sterling to 35 on maplins at the minute too.

These are Apple home compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Elgato eve plugs are down from the usual 45 sterling to 35 on maplins at the minute too.

I use 2 of them - pretty nice. Siri does what I want with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I use 2 of them - pretty nice. Siri does what I want with them

• Advertisement
Advertisement