Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is that new?

It's been going since at least Sept 2016 - when I first used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭philboy

They are back up to €325 again now for the Nest Protect 3 Pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Short lived time - I only got the camelcamelcamel email 3 hours ago! I hope some people here got the chance to avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭philboy

Hopefully, an offer on the Nest Protects pops up on Amazon.co.uk for Cyber Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm debating whether to buy this Philips Hue starter kit on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Light-Bulbs/Philips-Colour-Ambiance-Wireless-Bayonet-Starter-Enabled/B01LF9G9HC/?tag=pocketlintc07-21

or whether to start off with just a few of the cheaper white bulbs for using with the echo. Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Panrich wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to buy this Philips Hue starter kit on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Light-Bulbs/Philips-Colour-Ambiance-Wireless-Bayonet-Starter-Enabled/B01LF9G9HC/?tag=pocketlintc07-21

or whether to start off with just a few of the cheaper white bulbs for using with the echo. Decisions, decisions

Go for it, that’s a great per bulb price for the Hue colour bulbs. You’ll only want to upgrade to colour in the future anyway!!

Just keep keeping an eye out for little bargains & deals down the road and slowly add to your collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Maplin.ie have a 3 for 2 offer on Hue bulbs

B22 starter kit ordered at about 4am has just been dispatched!!

BOOM!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

Tado smart thermostat starter kit v.3 £149 On Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Is arlo any good? Is it cloud and can it be wired? Don't fancy climbing ladders to change batteries too often. Anyone know how long batteries last?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Batteries last 3 months depends on traffic. Great system no wires. Cameras out of reach sit on a magnetic ball.
    Set up viewing angle while looking at your phone live. All videos uploaded to cloud 7 days free. Download ansd send links to footage.
    Can add a USB hard drive or flash drive to constantly record video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

B22 starter kit ordered at about 4am has just been dispatched!!

BOOM!!!!

Is this deal of the day now gone? Only seeing the E27 and GU10 starter kits, was just about the pull the trigger and can't find it for the £90
    Got the GU10 kit as still in need of 3 bulbs to finish the kitchen but would have got 1 if not 2 of the B22 kits also to add to the collection. So much for deal of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Amazon is having a good deal on the Nest 3rd Gen thermostat: £149
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B016PW3JSG

Is this deal of the day now gone? Only seeing the E27 and GU10 starter kits, was just about the pull the trigger and can't find it for the £90
    Got the GU10 kit as still in need of 3 bulbs to finish the kitchen but would have got 1 if not 2 of the B22 kits also to add to the collection. So much for deal of the day

The B22 kit appears to be back to normal price now, and only available from 3rd party sellers, so Amazon most likely out of stock?

still plenty of E27 sets available at the good price. Could you live with using E27 to B22 adaptors? I did it for years. and down the line try to buy lamps with E27 fittings in them (E27 is far more common in Ireland now than it was a few years ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Ring Pro kit £176.99 Amazon UK

Ring PRO Kit (Chime + Transformer) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072KLVTQP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qGlgAbPN0PFM4

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

I was all set to get a nest or hive today and then i checked my honeywell cm 61 thermostat and there was 2 fookin wires coming out of it. I said where are the other 5? So after a bit of research my immergas combi boiler mustnt make the grade very sad really but lucky i didnt pull the trigger. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

foxatron wrote: »
    I was all get a neat or hive today and then i checked my honeywell cm 61 thermostat and there was 2 fookin wires coming out of it. I said where are the other 5? So after a bit of research my immergas combi boiler mustnt make thw grage very say really but lucky i didnt pull the trigger. :(

My understanding is that you can use a single zone smart thermostat, which will turn the heading circuit on and off. trace the thermostat cables back to the boiler and put the terminal unit there and the smart thermostat in the place of the old theormstat, if you so wish

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

noel100 wrote: »
    Batteries last 3 months depends on traffic. Great system no wires. Cameras out of reach sit on a magnetic ball.
    Set up viewing angle while looking at your phone live. All videos uploaded to cloud 7 days free. Download ansd send links to footage.
    Can add a USB hard drive or flash drive to constantly record video.

What’s the night vision like with the arlos....?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was all get a neat or hive today and then i checked my honeywell cm 61 thermostat and there was 2 fookin wires coming out of it. I said where are the other 5? So after a bit of research my immergas combi boiler mustnt make thw grage very say really but lucky i didnt pull the trigger. :(

Haha, sounds like you are living in my apartment building! :D

I've the same Immergas boiler and I use to have that Honeywell thermostat, so yes, hi neighbour :)

It is actually a really good combi boiler setup, much better then traditional Irish system boilers IMO.

So you have a few options with this. I went with Netatmo, a very simple, 10 minutes to replace your Honeywell directly with Netatmo (some screwing in required). Tado should work like this too.

If you want to go with Nest or Hive, you can too, but you will need to wire their extension/bridge/relay units directly into the boiler and then you use those thermostats wirelessly, you might need to get an electrician in to install it this way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

foxatron, check out this thread, this Netatmo might suit you:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

bk wrote: »
    Haha, sounds like you are living in my apartment building! :D

I've the same Immergas boiler and I use to have that Honeywell thermostat, so yes, hi neighbour :)

It is actually a really good combi boiler setup, much better then traditional Irish system boilers IMO.

So you have a few options with this. I went with Netatmo, a very simple, 10 minutes to replace your Honeywell directly with Netatmo (some screwing in required). Tado should work like this too.

If you want to go with Nest or Hive, you can too, but you will need to wire their extension/bridge/relay units directly into the boiler and then you use those thermostats wirelessly, you might need to get an electrician in to install it this way.

Howdy neighbour,:D

I'm in block A. With the Netatmo is it just as simple swapping it with the honeywell thermostat? without having to go near the boiler?

Do you normally just leave the hot water switched on at the boiler, or turn it on when you need it. I just turn it on when needed but I read somewhere recently that some people just leave it on as it only heats up when the water is used.

I see the Netatmo on sale for 92 sterling on Amazon so might take a chance on that.

Howdy neighbour,:D

I'm in block A. With the Netatmo is it just as simple swapping it with the honeywell thermostat? without having to go near the boiler?

Haha, yes, Block A here too :D

Yes, very simple, the steps involved are:
    - Turn off the power at the trip switches (probably not needed, but you can't be too careful).
    - Take off the Honeywell, unscrew it's backplate from the wall and take the two wires out of it.
    - Put the two wires into the Netatmo backplate, screw backplate into wall and put Netatmo thermostat on the backplate.
    - Plug the relay into a power socket somewhere, probably in the study and do the app setup.

Job done, easy, no messing with the boiler and takes just 15 minutes or so :D

Strictly speaking the Netatmo has two ways it can be installed, the relay can also be wired into the boiler, which means the Thermostat can be portable and placed anywhere you want. Nice, but more complicated and might require electrician. I didn't bother.
    Do you normally just leave the hot water switched on at the boiler, or turn it on when you need it. I just turn it on when needed but I read somewhere recently that some people just leave it on as it only heats up when the water is used.

I leave it on all the time, you are supposed to leave it on, there is no need to control the how water, it is the advantage of a combi boilers and once you get use to the idea you realise it is much better then the old hot water tanks.

Basically how it works, is the hot water pipes, including showers are piped back to the boiler. When you turn on the taps/shower the boiler detects the water flowing through the pipes and fires up the boiler to start heating the water as it passes through.

Instant hot water and it is actually very efficient compared to hot water tanks. No need to worry about it, just use it and enjoy it :)

You don't need to worry about the hot water controls or Netatmo controlling hot water, it doesn't apply to these sort of boilers. The Netatmo only controls the heating of the rads, the hot water takes care of itself.
    I see the Netatmo on sale for 92 sterling on Amazon so might take a chance on that.

Very good price, I don't think you will get any cheaper with any other option.

PM me if you need a hand with any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

Tado stat is a straight replace job also, 2 wires.£149 On Amazon. Also it can manage smart TRVs, let's them call the boiler via the main stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone know anything about these Z-Wave plugs with power monitoring?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heiman-HS2SK-Z-Smart-Plug-White/253260185417?hash=item3af77bbf49:g:buYAAOSwbw1aCZvx

Buy 1 get one 50% off. Works out at £22.50 for each plug when bought in pairs. That's exceptional value for a Z-Wave plug.

Edit - reduced now to £24.99 plus one at 50% off. £37.50 for two Z-Wave plugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

So far in what’s been a relatively underwhelming Black Friday week so far I’ve still somehow still managed to buy:

A Google Home
    A Google Home Mini
    A Google Chromecast
    A Philips Hue colour bulb starter kit(3 colour bayonet bulbs and a hub)

Now I already have a Echo Dot connected to a Bluetooth speaker and already have a Hue hub and numerous bulbs.

Th Echo is now been unplugged as I much prefer the Google Home. Th Mini is going in the bedroom.

I was look8ng for one colour hue bulb but the bundle was on offer and cost less than the price of two bulbs so had to go for it.

All in all I’m pretty happy with the purchases of all of the above which were all bought at a good discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know when google home prices go back up? I am considering pick up a couple more... because 3 homes and 1 mini just isn't enough...

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know when google home prices go back up? I am considering pick up a couple more... because 3 homes and 1 mini just isn't enough...

I think the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone seen good deal on Phillips Hue switch?

kave2 wrote: »
    Anyone seen good deal on Phillips Hue switch?

The dimmer switch?

Best price is with a white only bulb for £25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Light strip on its own has dropped to £52.70, but that's still 25% more expensive than last year

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

OU812 wrote: »
    Light strip on its own has dropped to £52.70, but that's still 25% more expensive than last year

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

It was on sale on amazon.es earlier this week for €53 delivered. I grabbed one and another two in one of the UK bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

The nest protect deals have been brutal this year. Pull the finger our Amazon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

The nest protect deals have been brutal this year. Pull the finger our Amazon!

You read my mind Mario......not a budge from £99.....c'mon Amazon.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Decoda wrote: »
    You read my mind Mario......not a budge from £99.....c'mon Amazon.....

Also hoping to see these fall tomorrow so I can pick up a few of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 rewsty

digiman wrote: »
    Also hoping to see these fall tomorrow so I can pick up a few of them

Roll on midnight to see if our wishes are met..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 rewsty

2 philips motion sensors and a philips switch for €75.14 delivered from Amazon Spain. Not bad!

Nice deal, went for it as needed accessories, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

49 Euro on Amazon France. Just south of 60 delivered to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bah humbug! I bailed on buying the Hue light strip + GU10 bundle on Friday in the hope the Monday deals would include Hue stuff as individual pieces but there's absolutely nothing! :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its been a bad year for Hue customers that already have a rake of hue stuff and are just looking for individual bits. I only need 1 bulb and a sensor and didnt pull the trigger on any bundles as i dont need the extra lights.

Its been a bad year for Hue customers that already have a rake of hue stuff and are just looking for individual bits. I only need 1 bulb and a sensor and didnt pull the trigger on any bundles as i dont need the extra lights.

I got the B22 starter kit, as I needed a B22 to replace a colour E27 in my office (thats in an adaptor), and a B22 White Ambiance thats in the master bedroom centre light. the old office colour will then replace a white only in the bathroom, and the old white ambiance become a spare.

I'm sure I'll find somewhere for the spare colour bulb, though it's actually getting harder to find lights that take B22 bulbs.

Actually a really good deal, I needed all these, thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Hue bulbs are 3 for 2 on Amazon at the moment. No real deals though.

Hue bulbs are 3 for 2 on Amazon at the moment. No real deals though.

Its worth while for the bulbs that weren't available in the starter kits on Friday i.e E14's and White Only etc..

3 white only's for £25 works out just over £8 per bulb. Great price for anyone wanting to expand their set up cheaply.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »

same with the 3 for 2 promotion now on Amazon U.K. , just in £, and only £10 more than the starter kits were on Friday, but now you can mix the bulb types to get what you need/want.

same with the 3 for 2 promotion now on Amazon U.K. , just in £, and only £10 more than the starter kits were on Friday, but now you can mix the bulb types to get what you need/want.

Hoping es or fr kick off the 3 for 2 deal later today... base prices are better compared to UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

druss wrote: »
    49 Euro on Amazon France. Just south of 60 delivered to Ireland.

Feck!!

Got two of them in arnots this morning, too late to cancel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

3 for 2 on Hue Products? I can't see that on Amazon UK, do you have a link?

• Advertisement
Advertisement