Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

bk wrote: »
    Looks a bit dodgy, I don't think this is really the official Google Store. Seller only two weeks!

they've been given a logo by ebay on their listing, meaning they have been vetted and are now commercially underwritten by ebay... safe to say its genuine. next day UK delivery too... got some.

434948.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Philips Hue GU10 starter pack down to £110.74 on Amazon UK (only £20 more that the Black Friday price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1512133107&sr=8-13&keywords=hue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Looks a bit dodgy, I don't think this is really the official Google Store. Seller only two weeks!

I ordered this am. They are on route to NI. DPD tracking, next day delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Them blink cameras any good, they look pretty limited for the price, do they only record 5 second clips? Is there anyway to expand the 2GB limit with a subscription?

I think they are brilliant. Wireless, battery last 2 years (depending on area it is located I.e high volume of traffix), 720p recording for the indoor camera and 1080p for the outdoor.

You can record clips up to 60secs.

Not sure if you can expand the storage, that may come in an update in the future.

Th only issue I would have is the trigger after motion is detected is slightly slow but didn't really bother me.

All in all I think they are great. I'll be using the outdoor camera for a baby cam until we don't need it and then I'll he sticking it outside.

Hope that helps.
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Philips Hue GU10 starter pack down to £110.74 on Amazon UK (only £20 more that the Black Friday price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1512133107&sr=8-13&keywords=hue

Sharp intake of breath...

I've 4 x GU10 & 3 x E14 to go & accidentally bought three E14 last night...

Don't think I can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Them blink cameras any good, they look pretty limited for the price, do they only record 5 second clips? Is there anyway to expand the 2GB limit with a subscription?

I think they are brilliant. Wireless, battery last 2 years (depending on area it is located I.e high volume of traffix), 720p recording for the indoor camera and 1080p for the outdoor.

You can record clips up to 60secs.

Not sure if you can expand the storage, that may come in an update in the future.

Th only issue I would have is the trigger after motion is detected is slightly slow but didn't really bother me.

All in all I think they are great. I'll be using the outdoor camera for a baby cam until we don't need it and then I'll he sticking it outside.

Hope that helps.
    BobbyT28

What’s the outdoor nighttime vision like on them like? I was looking at Arlo and Nest, but thinking that the traditional outdoor cameras probably work best......and many of them now have cloud backup.....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ordered the Google Mini from eBay.
    Payment went to Kondor

https://www.kondor.co.uk/

They seem legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Free Google Mini with purchase of a Nest product over £75. Interesting if buying Nest Protects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

SachaJ wrote: »
    Free Google Mini with purchase of a Nest product over £75. Interesting if buying Nest Protects

Where is this offer on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Where is this offer on ?

https://nest.com/uk/?from-chooser=true

Doesn’t show up when you are in the Irish store though.

Shame this wasn’t running before I picked up my Mini. I’m interested in the Nest Protect and would have gone for it with the Mini thrown in. It’s a little too expensive on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

adox wrote: »
    https://nest.com/uk/?from-chooser=true

Doesn’t show up when you are in the Irish store though.

Shame this wasn’t running before I picked up my Mini. I’m interested in the Nest Protect and would have gone for it with the Mini thrown in. It’s a little too expensive on its own.

I saw this and was just kicking myself as I've bought the Nest and Home Mini separately, then I realised that I got my Nest off Amazon at £149 and Home Mini at £34 from Google Store (Black Friday Deals), which is still better than the £239 deal currently on at Nest UK!!
    Loving my GH so much that I would love to get a second for upstairs, but the price is back up again :(
    Also looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub to add to my growing collection, as this opens up the GH to integrate with so many more devices, including my Bose SoundTouch speakers (https://community.bose.com/t5/Reviews-Recommendations/Bose-Soundtouch-and-Google-Home-integration/td-p/39783)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I saw this and was just kicking myself as I've bought the Nest and Home Mini separately, then I realised that I got my Nest off Amazon at £149 and Home Mini at £34 from Google Store (Black Friday Deals), which is still better than the £239 deal currently on at Nest UK!!
    Loving my GH so much that I would love to get a second for upstairs, but the price is back up again :(
    Also looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub to add to my growing collection, as this opens up the GH to integrate with so many more devices, including my Bose SoundTouch speakers (https://community.bose.com/t5/Reviews-Recommendations/Bose-Soundtouch-and-Google-Home-integration/td-p/39783)

3 mini's available for £89 on ebay. I'm sure you could partner up with 1/2 people and split the order. Would work out at the same price.

From HUKD (and IBrows89 here): "As mentioned by some helpful people in the thread, the eBay store is run by Kondor Ltd, a multi-million pound electronics company, on behalf of Google and is 100% legitimate."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Home-Mini-3-Pack-from-the-Official-Google-Store-on-eBay-UK/332463787611?epid=12007812734&hash=item4d6862ce5b:g:dtcAAOSwH2VaIChK

Yes, I was weak and purchased the Starter Kit for £99 last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Bought it last week. Have it under the tree for my girlfriend to give to me on Christmas. :D

£99 starter kit?? Where'd you find that?? There's one for €129 on Currys IE, but no stock when I go click and collect anywhere in Dublin or Kildare...

• Advertisement

£99 starter kit?? Where'd you find that?? There's one for €129 on Currys IE, but no stock when I go click and collect anywhere in Dublin or Kildare...

This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SmartThings-Starter-Kit-White/dp/B01GJZKRFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512384669&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+things

But it seems to be out of stock now and price has gone up. It was £99 yesterday and the past week. Price might go down again when back in stock or post Christmas sales.

This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SmartThings-Starter-Kit-White/dp/B01GJZKRFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512384669&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+things

But it seems to be out of stock now and price has gone up. It was £99 yesterday and the past week. Price might go down again when back in stock or post Christmas sales.

Showing up £149 when I look - that's the same place I got the hub for £49
    To be fair, I only really want the hub, to expand my GH capabilities. I have Bose SoundTouch speakers at home, looks like I can control those from GH using a compatible smarthub like SmartThings or Logitech Harmony

Showing up £149 when I look - that's the same place I got the hub for £49
    To be fair, I only really want the hub, to expand my GH capabilities. I have Bose SoundTouch speakers at home, looks like I can control those from GH using a compatible smarthub like SmartThings or Logitech Harmony

As I mentioned, it is currently out of stock from Amazon, so the price showing now is the price from third party companies.

It had been £99 all week. I then went to buy it Saturday, but it had gone out of stock and up to £149, but I checked again Sunday and it had become back into stock and price was back down to £99.

Just FYI in case anyone is looking for the starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

As I mentioned, it is currently out of stock from Amazon, so the price showing now is the price from third party companies.

It had been £99 all week. I then went to buy it Saturday, but it had gone out of stock and up to £149, but I checked again Sunday and it had become back into stock and price was back down to £99.

Just FYI in case anyone is looking for the starter kit.

For me back to £149 again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are electric ireland the cheapest place for a nest... and is there any catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A free Google Home with a £50 yearly spend to the Daily Telegraph online.

It's gone well hot on HUKD.

No idea how it works here but I'm assuming Revolut to sign up with a UK address.

I wouldn't give a red cent to them, but it's a good deal nonetheless :)

bren2001 wrote: »
    3 mini's available for £89 on ebay. I'm sure you could partner up with 1/2 people and split the order. Would work out at the same price.

From HUKD (and IBrows89 here): "As mentioned by some helpful people in the thread, the eBay store is run by Kondor Ltd, a multi-million pound electronics company, on behalf of Google and is 100% legitimate."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Home-Mini-3-Pack-from-the-Official-Google-Store-on-eBay-UK/332463787611?epid=12007812734&hash=item4d6862ce5b:g:dtcAAOSwH2VaIChK

Out of stock :(
    Hopefully they get more in soon - feedback looks good for this seller

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭eimsRV

I cant see that this was posted already.

On Amazon £29.99 down from £99 - Belkin WiFi Netcam IP Camera (not HD)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BCIRYGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

mloc123 wrote: »
    Are electric ireland the cheapest place for a nest... and is there any catch?

I was working it out last week. Electric Irealnd unit rates (in brackets below) are a bit higher than others but the discount, makes it worth it.
    Based on my yearly elec usage, and assumption that you are saving €175 (sign up bonus) on the NEST signing up to electric ireland.
    But you get it intalled by a qualified technican and any issues you can follow up with them, so yea its probably worth while. I signed up for it at the weekend!!

.........................electric ireland ...............energia......................sse airtricity
    Elec usage........(€0.143) - €657.23 .....(€0.1182) - €543.25 .... (€0.1488) - €683.88
    Standing Chg....(€0.46) - €169.25 ........ (€0.49) - €177.09 .... (€0.48) - €176.77
    PSO Levy..................... €92.25 ................ - €92.25 ........... ........... €92.25
    ...................................€918.73................. €812.59 .....................€952.90
    Sign up bonus................. €175......................... €50 ..................... €100

Yearly Cost ............ €743.73 ....................€762.59 .................... €852.9

(all prices are excluding VAT)

Yes, though I absolutely recommend people to set a reminder on their phone / calendar for one year later, to review who supplies their gas/electricity and the options on the market.

It will usually be well worth changing or at the very least calling them and looking for a discount again for the second year.

They are hoping you forget and that you end up paying higher rates for years to come. A savvy shopper shops around every year for the best deal. You can literally save yourself hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Yes, though I absolutely recommend people to set a reminder on their phone / calendar for one year later, to review who supplies their gas/electricity and the options on the market.

It will usually be well worth changing or at the very least calling them and looking for a discount again for the second year.

They are hoping you forget and that you end up paying higher rates for years to come. A savvy shopper shops around every year for the best deal. You can literally save yourself hundreds.

Yes even though I already have 20% discount with Airtricity, moving to Electric ireland I end up paying a higher unit rate but I get a NEST installed professionally and then can move again in 12 months and get a sign up bonus else where.

So I'm just waiting for the switch to go through and get my phone call for my Nest Install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

So the Nest offer is for hot water and heating it looks like.

Does the scheduler allow you to schedule different times for weekends than weekdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

So the Nest offer is for hot water and heating it looks like.

Does the scheduler allow you to schedule different times for weekends than weekdays?

yes, if you like you can set schedules for each day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks. Still slightly unsure about NEST, kind of tempted by smart TRVs, for example in the morning I don't want to heat the sitting room, in the evening, I dont want to heat all the bedrooms from early evening, only towards night time.

Do we know if it is a 3rd Gen NEST?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Still slightly unsure about NEST, kind of tempted by smart TRVs, for example in the morning I don't want to heat the sitting room, in the evening, I dont want to heat all the bedrooms from early evening, only towards night time.

Do we know if it is a 3rd Gen NEST?

If you'd like TRV's, then you should look into Tado, Nest or Evohome.

Electrical Ireland has a scheme where they can give you €1000 towards a full Evohome + TRV setup if your home is entitled to the grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

If you'd like TRV's, then you should look into Tado, Nest or Evohome.

Electrical Ireland has a scheme where they can give you €1000 towards a full Evohome + TRV setup if your home is entitled to the grant.

Looking for the details but is it only if house was built pre 2006?

viperlogic wrote: »
    Looking for the details but is it only if house was built pre 2006?

For the full €1,000, yes I think so unfortunately (wouldn't apply to me either).

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was working it out last week. Electric Irealnd unit rates (in brackets below) are a bit higher than others but the discount, makes it worth it.
    Based on my yearly elec usage, and assumption that you are saving €175 (sign up bonus) on the NEST signing up to electric ireland.
    But you get it intalled by a qualified technican and any issues you can follow up with them, so yea its probably worth while. I signed up for it at the weekend!!

.........................electric ireland ...............energia......................sse airtricity
    Elec usage........(€0.143) - €657.23 .....(€0.1182) - €543.25 .... (€0.1488) - €683.88
    Standing Chg....(€0.46) - €169.25 ........ (€0.49) - €177.09 .... (€0.48) - €176.77
    PSO Levy..................... €92.25 ................ - €92.25 ........... ........... €92.25
    ...................................€918.73................. €812.59 .....................€952.90
    Sign up bonus................. €175......................... €50 ..................... €100

Yearly Cost ............ €743.73 ....................€762.59 .................... €852.9

(all prices are excluding VAT)

Isn't SSE's intro credit €200 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

For the full €1,000, yes I think so unfortunately (wouldn't apply to me either).

Looking at the Electric Ireland website, the evohome for a standard semi with 8 radiators is €1215. Is that after the grant , do you think?

Has anyone got it done ?

• Advertisement

Evohome looks very interesting. Does anyone know if the TRVs call call for the boiler to come on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Isn't SSE's intro credit €200 ?

Just got my €200, so yup €200!

Panrich wrote: »
    Looking at the Electric Ireland website, the evohome for a standard semi with 8 radiators is €1215. Is that after the grant , do you think?

Has anyone got it done ?

I don't know, good question!

Maybe drop them an email and ask and let use know what they say. Would be good to get an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

Panrich wrote: »

Has anyone got it done ?

Thats their estimate cost for a standard home. Includes the kit but not sure if it assumes you have trv valve body equipped rads. From this they deduct 600 grant and 450 discount, so you pay 200 more or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

deezell wrote: »
    Thats their estimate cost for a standard home. Includes the kit but not sure if it assumes you have trv valve body equipped rads. From this they deduct 600 grant and 450 discount, so you pay 200 more or less.

Are you sure? I think the 1200ish is the price you pay (i.e. After the grant) - that's my recollection when I looked into this 18 months ago. Went with the nest at the time, for money reasons, but while I love it, the evohome is where it's really at IMO

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I am away this week but will be switching to EI and possibly the evohome. I thought the price was as is stated and if you qualify for the grant you subtract from it.

Will confirm next week. 2k for evohome sounds insanely expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

Uriel. wrote: »
    Are you sure? I think the 1200ish is the price you pay (i.e. After the grant) - that's my recollection when I looked into this 18 months ago. Went with the nest at the time, for money reasons, but while I love it, the evohome is where it's really at IMO

I based it on this post, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105438491&postcount=286

Earlier the poster states he couldn't consider tado when this deal was going. I doubt he intended paying 1250 for a stat and a few TRVs. The evohome kit probably cost electric ireland a fraction of retail, maybe 400 ex vat for stat and 4+ trvs, maybe less. Inflated install price of 1250 keeps Seai grant crowd happy. After special " discount' if you pay only only 250, EI have 850 for kit and install. They only need to install enough TRVs to satisfy zone requirements of grant. It's all about marketing.
    If it's 1250 net of grant, who'd bite?

deezell, I don't know for certain, just reading off the same site as everyone else.

I agree that it would be mad if it was €2250, I'd assumed it was €1250. Hopefully lordgoat will get back to use and we will know for certain.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

deezell, I don't know for certain, just reading off the same site as everyone else.

I agree that it would be mad if it was €2250, I'd assumed it was €1250. Hopefully lordgoat will get back to use and we will know for certain.

I will def post up once I hear back but I am away until Sunday, just moved into a house and it's cold so will probably suffer this winter. Have fired off an email in the meantime.

I will probably get attic insulation done at least as well maybe walls too depending on price/timing, there is a good gas bolier there at the moment, no zones plumbed (bungalow and everything is 1 zone) so for that reason Evohome is appealing to me. Ladyfriend also likes the interface of the evohome but I want to do a comparison between that and the others. Will report back when I make a decision.

This is probably better suited to another thread but since ppl are discussing it here. What does Evohome offer over Tado? Tado TRVs look mush nicer for sure, I also read that Evohome is no longer being developed, so whatever is in there now is it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement