Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

That's probably it. I do like the look of the Netatmo, plus they do TRVs as well.
    How do people here find Hive? (and don't say follow the bees). It's an ugly stat for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

deezell wrote: »
    That's probably it. I do like the look of the Netatmo, plus they do TRVs as well.
    How do people here find Hive? (and don't say follow the bees). It's an ugly stat for sure.

I'm delighted with our hive. Stat a bit big but you get over that and means it is easy to find as we have a messy house and the stat on a metal stand for the downstairs zone. Best thing is being able to control the heating and hot water from outside the house. We haven't come home to a cold house since I installed it. Does exactly what it is supposed to. Have a schedule for the mornings as we are pretty consistent with getting up times etc, and then use the remote turn on on the way home, rather than setting a timer and guessing when we might be home.

The alexa control is handy too when you get up earlier than normal and can hide under the covers after asking Alexa to turn the heat on.

Definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Find Hive very good to be honest, stat could be a bit slimmer I suppose, but not what I would call ugly (don't look at it too much to be honest) and is easy and straightforward to use. As the stat is battery powered it could be easily hidden away anyway.

We didn't have much control previously only having a simple immermat timer so it is good now to be able to control the heat and hot water separately and remotely.

App also fairly simple to use, have a number of bulbs, plugs and sensors set up on it without much issue.

Always seems to be regular updates and products being launched and that, being a British Gas company, this would continue to be the case, always a consideration when looking at new tech.

Google Assistant works well with it also and we are just waiting on the Google Home (have to collect it from the sis) which will add a bit of voice control to the whole thing.

Actually looking at adding it to the mothers house and saving the calls about how to change the timer she has!!!

Edit : Sorry, should take this off the bargain alerts thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

a bargain alert to get back on track:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

THE ALM wrote: »
    a bargain alert to get back on track:)

It's been lower for a while now - a new gen one on the way? Or just a new price point?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shlippery wrote: »
    Or just a new price point?!

Id say this is most likely the case, as the system seems to have expanded at a huge rate, they want to push it even further! The Hue Entertainment update is huge for Hue, and is going to open it up to all sorts of possibilities!!

They're going for the jugular in the Smart Lighting world, and lower prices will help a lot.

It’s a pity it took saps like me buying nigh on 70 bulbs over the last 4 years at pretty much full prices to help get Hue to where it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

It’s a pity it took saps like me buying nigh on 70 bulbs over the last 4 years at pretty much full prices to help get Hue to where it is!!

we salute and thank you for your early adopter dedication to helping bring about lower pricing for us saps who are only now leaving the dark ages.

hue're great so you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Any bargains on the nest 3rd gen? Got one for £149 on black Friday but looking for another.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Any bargains on the nest 3rd gen? Got one for £149 on black Friday but looking for another.

£179 the best st the moment
    https://m.pricespy.co.uk/product/4470508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

£179 the best st the moment
    https://m.pricespy.co.uk/product/4470508

If you are an existing Electric Ireland customer, it can be had and installed for €130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

cletus wrote: »
    If you are an existing Electric Ireland customer, it can be had and installed for €130

Do you actually have to be an Electric Ireland customer? didn't prompt me up until checkout.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Do you actually have to be an Electric Ireland customer? didn't prompt me up until checkout.

I think its for new/changeover customers also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I think its for new/changeover customers also

I just switched to them but took the €175 cash back offer. You can then ring as an existing customer once switched and get it for €130 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

nialldinho wrote: »
    I just switched to them but took the €175 cash back offer. You can then ring as an existing customer once switched and get it for €130 anyway.
    What's the catch with the 175 back offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

fletch wrote: »

Not sure!
    I think it’s applied to your account rather than straight cash back. But you’re getting the same savings and contract is still a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Can you have more than one nest in the same system?

Eg. One upstairs, one down. Currently have one upstairs on the landing beside hot press where the old dumb one was replaced. Problem is heat rises and it shuts off before it should.

Figured if there was one downstairs it might maintain an average of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

fletch wrote: »

It's applied as a credit to your account so when you get your first bill, you should have nothing to pay and should have a good chunk towards your next bill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

OU812 wrote: »

Eg. One upstairs, one down. Currently have one upstairs on the landing beside hot press where the old dumb one was replaced. Problem is heat rises and it shuts off before it should.

Yes. I have three zones (bedrooms, living rooms & water) and require 2 nests as each can only handle 2 zones. Bedrooms on one and living rooms/water on the other.

Your home would need to be zoned for 2 stats, with the hot water pumped independently to the zones' rads at the request of their zone stat. Putting 2 stats on a single zone system will just mean the heating will stay on until both stats reach target temperature, not the average of their settings.
    This post should be in this thread, to keep his lordship happy.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105877898#post105877898

• Advertisement

We’ve got two zones, heat/water

I wish they’d a cheaper one that you could put in each room as a slave to tell the master the temp

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We’ve got two zones, heat/water

I wish they’d a cheaper one that you could put in each room as a slave to tell the master the temp

Check the settings, some smart thermostats (like my Netatmo) allow you to set an offset on the thermostat. So for instance if you set an offset of +2c, when it reads 20c, it will interpret it as being 22c. Could help a little with this.

Though the real solution is for Nest to do smart TRV's, per room control then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bk wrote: »
    Check the settings, some smart thermostats (like my Netatmo) allow you to set an offset on the thermostat. So for instance if you set an offset of +2c, when it reads 20c, it will interpret it as being 22c. Could help a little with this.

Though the real solution is for Nest to do smart TRV's, per room control then.

Any sign of that happening (nest doing trvs?). My contract with EI is up soon after availing of their nest offer. Thinking to take up their evohome offer now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Uriel. wrote: »
    Any sign of that happening (nest doing trvs?). My contract with EI is up soon after availing of their nest offer. Thinking to take up their evohome offer now

No rumours that I've heard anyway.

I do feel that they and Hive will need to eventually to stay relevant in the market with all the other companies doing them now, but no guarantee.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Uriel. wrote: »

How does that work if you already have a smart thermostat? I've got a nest (obviously i'd only be looking to switch to a provider who offers a different smart stat), but to be honest, im not blown away. It's pretty terrible at knowing if im at the house or not. I've even gone as far as to use home assistant to control telling the nest if im home or not. The nest is really just acting as a heating scheduler with temperatures set for certain times.

I'd be open to try others, especially if they have smart thermostats as an option I can add myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

First time in this thread so apologies if there's a better offer out there.
    Was looking at getting a Philip's Hue Lights strips and found them to be €80 in most bricks and mortar shops.
    Amazon have them for £50: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lightstrip-Lighstrip/dp/B0148NMVQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516371156&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+light+strip

But I found them for sale in Argos for €62: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4836957/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HUE+LIGHT+STRIP.htm

Not as cheap as Amazon but still a good price for a bricks and mortar

• Advertisement

OREGATO wrote: »
    Was looking at getting a Philip's Hue Lights strips and found them to be €80 in most bricks and mortar shops.
    Amazon have them for £50: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lightstrip-Lighstrip/dp/B0148NMVQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516371156&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+light+strip

But I found them for sale in Argos for €62: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4836957/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HUE+LIGHT+STRIP.htm

Seems around their best price.
    http://checkargos.com/product/4836957

£50+ PW/PM is going to be around €60 anyways. For convenience, Argos

OREGATO wrote: »

Finding an Argos that has them in stock will be a challenge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

There was plenty of stock earlier when I checked. I purchased the remaining two in Stephens Green, Dublin at lunch time today. Says it's orderable too

yeah, there's an ok spread around the country.

I've one reserved in Cork... just trying to justify what I might use it for before I commit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭thecivvie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I managed to pick 2 up in cruises street, limerick earlier in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Hue Colour E27 - £34.99
    Hue Colour B22 - £39.99 (been at this price for a while now)

Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

10 stg off anything sold be Amazon when you spend 50 pounds. Use code BIGTHANKS

Expires midnight on 25th January

£10 off a £50 or more spend on Amazon with the code BIGTHANKS

Not a direct HA Bargain Alert, but might help those picking gear up. Available until the 25th of January

EDIT: haha beaten too it! :D

£10 off a £50 or more spend on Amazon with the code BIGTHANKS

Not a direct HA Bargain Alert, but might help those picking gear up. Available until the 25th of January

EDIT: haha beaten too it! :D

Balls. Just spent £56 with them yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Balls. Just spent £56 with them yesterday

Obviously the responsible thing to do would be to spend another 50 so you can get the 10 off

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

if it hasn't shipped cancel and reorder now

Obviously!!!

Got onto CS & they gave me a fiver credit instead. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Ordered a Raspberry Pi, case and SD card using the voucher, plan on trying out Home Assistant on it, though don't actually have any sensors/lights yet :D

• Advertisement

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."
    :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."
    :(:(

All purchases have to be from amazon not sold by third parties.

Tado additional smart stat and TRVs available from amazon. This makes the additional stat £89 and the TRVs £49. Is it £10 discount per £50? If I buy two TRVs do I need to order them separately to get a tenner off each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Tado additional smart stat and TRVs available from amazon. This makes the additional stat £89 and the TRVs £49. Is it £10 discount per £50? If I buy two TRVs do I need to order them separately to get a tenner off each?

Hi Deezell, the offer is for today only and its £10 off spend of £50 or more. worked with extra stat for me but I think its only one discount per customer cos I tried again there and no dice.

Unless of course one had 2 Amazon accounts and ordered TRV from each account ;)

skerry wrote: »
    Hi Deezell, the offer is for today only and its £10 off spend of £50 or more. worked with extra stat for me but I think its only one discount per customer cos I tried again there and no dice.

Fek, I'll grab one anyway. Wont deliver to ROI so thats another €3.95 for PM. Won't work on Amazon.de either. Still, TRV is €89 plus delivery here.

skerry wrote: »

In my experience they normally figure this out and cancel one of the orders. Unless you can use a friends account/address, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

In my experience they normally figure this out and cancel one of the orders. Unless you can use a friends account/address, etc.

I've only ever set up a second one to avail of another months free Prime. Would have thought it difficult enough for them to cop it if new account using different email and a PM address. Not about to setup a 3rd account to check though :)

Tempted to get TRV for the babies room cos it generally too hot in there. Damn these offers popping up a week before payday in January of all months

Fullfilled by amazon doesnt count. I wouldnt mind a hue strip, so just looking for something else that's cheap to put me over the £50

Edit: 2 of these so:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-socket-converter-B22-E27-bayonet/dp/B003GSK5O4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Does it come with the dimmer switch.... similarly, does it actually come with the bulb? Or is it just for the fitment?

Advertisement