Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The only difference in the elite is the smart light and socket buttons on the remote.

If your have multiple devices the harmony is a serious investment. I can tell Google to tell harmony to turn on sky news, it turns on the TV, turns on my sound receiver, changes my hdmi switch, turns on my satellite tuner, sets the source in my TV to HDMI 1 and then sets my satellite tuner to sky news :D

You're convincing me to buy this.. Tut Tut Tut

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Uriel. wrote: »
    Would like to buy one, but wonder if its better to wait for the elite to be on sale at some point even if it isn't as low as this?

I always like to have the best model available if I'm going to invest in something. But unsure if elite is a considerable step up.?

If you want the best, then I'd wait for an Elite to be reduced.

I've both this Ultimate (in bedroom) and the Elite (in living room) and while on paper the Elite doesn't seem to offer much over the Ultimate, in person it is far superior. It feels much more solid built, premium, heavier in a good way, fits better in hand and the button layout makes far more sense.

Don't get me wrong, the Ultimate is excellent too, anyone who has bought it will be very happy with it. But once you have used the Elite, it is hard to use the Ultimate again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bk wrote: »
    If you want the best, then I'd wait for an Elite to be reduced.

I've both this Ultimate (in bedroom) and the Elite (in living room) and while on paper the Elite doesn't seem to offer much over the Ultimate, in person it is far superior. It feels much more solid built, premium, heavier in a good way, fits better in hand and the button layout makes far more sense.

Don't get me wrong, the Ultimate is excellent too, anyone who has bought it will be very happy with it. But once you have used the Elite, it is hard to use the Ultimate again.

Thanks bk you may have saved my credit card and a row with my wife

Wil mull over it till 23.59 then make a decision at last possible moment. Probably wait for the elite to be reduced later in the year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Dithered too long and missed the boat, thought the price was set for the day but it's gone up :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Philips Hue LED Colour Ambiance Wireless E27 Starter Kit for €135.

Good price for B&M in Ireland. I've always been able to flog the hub for €40.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4971128/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HUE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control and Hub - £79 on Amazon deal of the day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Ultimate-software-required-Black/dp/B00C80JFSS?ref=bit_aa_dotd_cta_two_buttons&tag=amz-mkt-chr-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-e0017-mac00-other-nomod-uk000-gatwy-feature-DOTDC

Not sure of the price of these recently, seems like an OK deal?

I probably should have asked this before i bought one, has anyone managed to set this up to use with a raspberry pi running openelec? It appears possible, just wondering how easy it is to do.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I probably should have asked this before i bought one, has anyone managed to set this up to use with a raspberry pi running openelec? It appears possible, just wondering how easy it is to do.

TIA

You can either use bluetooth or get an IR reciever for the pi (plug and play)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Is there considerable differences between ultimate and elite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

xpletiv wrote: »
    I think, and I'm open to correction, that the elite has dedicated buttons for lights and switches and what not, loos a little easier to manoeuvre around too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have both.

Functionally they are almost exactly the same. Though the Elite does have extra buttons to control smart light (Hue) and switches if you have them.

The Ultimate can also control these, though it doesn't have dedicated buttons for them, instead you use the touch screen. I do find the buttons of the Elite handy for day to day use.

However the Elite is a far better built device:

- It feels like it is built out of better materials.
    - It is heavier in a good way, the Ultimate feels too light.
    - It fits in your hand much nicer.
    - Buttons are more logically placed on the remote, so they sit directly under where your fingers are, no need to stretch to the top to click play/pause.

I really liked the Ultimate, but I had a few things that I felt they could approve. The Elite feels like the engineers at Harmony had the same issues with the ultimate and used them as a todo list to fix when designing the Elite remote.

I think you would be happy with either, but if you can stretch the Elite is definitely a step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Sonos are offering 20% off some Sonos products including the Sonos One with Alexa interaction

Thread here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057849795/1/#post106388450

Link to further info from Sonos here

https://sonos-welcome.com/ie/en/pages/cashback/home

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Hue dimmer switches still £17.99 on amazon, cheapest i could find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Hue sensor is also slightly reduced at £31.49

Marginal savings between the sensor and dimmer switch, but for anyone looking to add a few of either to their set up, now is the time to buy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Marginal savings between the sensor and dimmer switch, but for anyone looking to add a few of either to their set up, now is the time to buy!!

Has anyone used the Ikea sensors with the hue bridge? I need a few of them and they add up at that price.

stimpson wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Ikea sensors with the hue bridge? I need a few of them and they add up at that price.

Apparently Ikea sensors don’t play well with Hue.

As in you can connect an Ikea sensor to a Hue bulb, but that bulb is then disconnected from your Bridge and you can no longer use it as a ‘Hue’ bulb, it will only work when triggered by the Ikea sensor, and you can no longer control it via the bridge (routines, app control etc..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Argos have the Smartthings hub and various units at half price. Seems to be order only. Ordered 2 presence monitors. Starter kit is showing as half price but out of stock and not orderable

Join Ireland Weather Network

Minor savings as well today on the E14 twin pack (£76.49) as well as the GU10 colour (£39.49)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

thecivvie wrote: »
    Argos have the Smartthings hub and various units at half price. Seems to be order only. Ordered 2 presence monitors. Starter kit is showing as half price but out of stock and not orderable

A frustrating process trying to reserve on the site. Managed to get a motion sensor in one go, after several attempts got a multi sensor but trying to get a hub is proving futile. Says that it can be reserved in-store for collection at the end of the week but keeps giving me an out of stock when trying to reserve it.

If anybody can get an extra hub I would gladly take it off your hands.

Edit - Managed to get one reserved this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Apparently Ikea sensors don’t play well with Hue.

As in you can connect an Ikea sensor to a Hue bulb, but that bulb is then disconnected from your Bridge and you can no longer use it as a ‘Hue’ bulb, it will only work when triggered by the Ikea sensor, and you can no longer control it via the bridge (routines, app control etc..)

this - i have 4 sensors to return to ikea...

• Advertisement

Hue dimmer switches still £17.99 on amazon, cheapest i could find.

looks like those prices are only for amazon prime members...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Arnotts have the Phillips Hue motion sensor at 36euro and dimmer at 22.50euro at the moment.

http://www.arnotts.ie/search/?q=philips+hue&lang=en_IE

Free delivery today on purchase over 50euro

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Maplin UK website has 10-15% off everything as they are now in administration

Can anyone here order as won't let me without a UK postcode for my credit card (using parcel motel for delivery).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Can anyone here order as won't let me without a UK postcode for my credit card (using parcel motel for delivery).

Get a virtual Revolut card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Parcel motel postcode?

Can I put a UK postcode as my billing details even on a virtual card? Will have a look later.

Re Parcel Motel - it wouldn't work as the UK postcode Isn't linked to my mastercard at BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

THE ALM wrote: »
    A frustrating process trying to reserve on the site. Managed to get a motion sensor in one go, after several attempts got a multi sensor but trying to get a hub is proving futile. Says that it can be reserved in-store for collection at the end of the week but keeps giving me an out of stock when trying to reserve it.

If anybody can get an extra hub I would gladly take it off your hands.

Edit - Managed to get one reserved this morning

I have a hue hub with around 18 bulbs/strips two dimmer switches and two motion sensors.

I also have a home security alarm system and I have a Harmony hub and remote.

I have one of these smartthings hubs reserved for collection by the end of the day but my question is do I really need it and what will it add to my current setup?

I have a hue hub with around 18 bulbs/strips two dimmer switches and two motion sensors.

I also have a home security alarm system and I have a Harmony hub and remote.

I have one of these smartthings hubs reserved for collection by the end of the day but my question is do I really need it and what will it add to my current setup?

The curse of this thread I'm afraid, not really sure I need it either but did reserve it along with two multi sensors and a motion sensor which I picked up this morning. Now that I have the motion sensor I suppose I will have to go with the rest once they are in :rolleyes: also keeping an eye on the konnected alarm panel to see how it progresses and would need the smartthings for it anyway. (trying to justify all these things in my head)

This thread as also led me if the last few weeks to get two hue starter kits along with the two goolge homes that were free with them, the harmony ultimate which is on its way to me, a sonoff 4ch pro which I currently don't have a use for but hoping it will come in handy for something. Also got a hue compatible led strip controller.

Thankfully all the above were picked up at at least half price but still enough of an outlay as it is. Just have to slowly introduce them into the house as if they have been there for a while or I will be disowned.

thecivvie wrote: »

Have you guys actually been able to reserve these?

I've tried reserving them, but the reservation email I receive, doesn't actually include any reservation number!! Which they normally do.

Plus no reservation text which I normally get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I've tried reserving them, but the reservation email I receive, doesn't actually include any reservation number!! Which they normally do.

Got the texts and emails for both of my presence detectors

Join Ireland Weather Network

Initially I could only reserve a motion sensor and after that got the same as you. Tried numerous times from different stores and managed to reserve some multi sensors. Took until yesterday morning to get a hub reserved and have only been getting out of stock messages trying to add anything else. I would imagine at those prices the stuff went quick. Will keep trying to see if things change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Arnotts have the Phillips Hue motion sensor at 36euro and dimmer at 22.50euro at the moment.

http://www.arnotts.ie/search/?q=philips+hue&lang=en_IE

Free delivery today on purchase over 50euro

The missus went in to pick up a dimmer today and they weren't in stock.

Smartthings is 50% off , managed to add a couple of extra sensors as Argos seems to be sold out, probably a bit cheaper as well in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi all

Just reserved a Smart things Motion sensor.

Will this work with Hue Hub and Hue lights?

Brief bit of googling has left me unsure..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Hi all

Just reserved a Smart things Motion sensor.

Will this work with Hue Hub and Hue lights?

Brief bit of googling has left me unsure..

Thanks

Don't think it will work with Hue without a smart things hub to connect to.

If you have a smartthings hub and a hue hub then it will be able to automate your lights. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Don't think it will work with Hue without a smart things hub to connect to.

If you have a smartthings hub and a hue hub then it will be able to automate your lights. AFAIK

Thanks for getting back so quick.

Have a reservation code for Drogheda for one motion senseor if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Ordered the nest myself so will be selling my Hive Multi Zone Pack, thought I'd put it up here before it goes on adverts. PM for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

amazon germany sale on selected products - deal of the day so have to purchase today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Decoda wrote: »

Thanks. Ordered two. For some reason they charged me £14.99 each. Not that I’m complaining.

Harmony Elite £149 or for £159 the Harmony Elite along with two Logitech Pop switches and a Pop hub. On Amazon today.

• Advertisement

Google WiFi home twin packs - £179 on John Lewis (about €204) vs €280 in Irish retailers

Used parcel wizard for delivery here (free UK delivery to NI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Harmony Elite £149 or for £159 the Harmony Elite along with two Logitech Pop switches and a Pop hub. On Amazon today.

Is camel camel camel correct in saying that bundle's lowest before today was £248.49!? Seems a great price for it, but camel camel camel is currently showing the price at £300 so not sure how accurate it is.

Is camel camel camel correct in saying that bundle's lowest before today was £248.49!? Seems a great price for it, but camel camel camel is currently showing the price at £300 so not sure how accurate it is.

I haven't seen that bundle before, I'd say it maybe a bit made up * and might never have really been that price.

The pop switch bundle on it's own is currently £68 and last month it was as low as £40, though normally a lot more.

The lowest the Harmony Elite on it's own ever has been is £130

Though I'd consider Brexit in all of this, it has driven up prices in general in the UK. So I do think these deals are pretty decent.

So if you are interersted in pop and elite, then seems like a good deal.

* Often these deals are thrown together, if you order it, you will probably be sent two separate packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Amazon UK are doing 3 for 2 on some items

Edit: This may be part of a 'buy 3 items, get the cheapest free' promotion rather than a direct 3for2 offer

Philips hue White and Colour Ambiance B22

3 bulbs for 115euro delivered

6 bulbs for 185euro delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LVUZQNX/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1521575393&sr=8-8&keywords=philips+hue

Also from Amazon Spain

Philips hue white ambiance milliskin 25w GU10 Recessed Spotlight Kit, 1 x 25w hue white ambiance perfect fit GU10 bulb, 1 x dimmer switch.

37.60euro

Delivery is 8euro, might be of interest if you were after a few

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B071CYB2WJ/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071CYB2WJ&pd_rd_r=bd297b0d-2c78-11e8-a008-71ec069f688d&pd_rd_w=Tu0UI&pd_rd_wg=PnT4F&pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=NNC7P0RQK551Z0BDBR34&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6908f43d-d139-4893-9bfc-e27e9baa9410&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fergalc

Thanks...

It'll come with the European socket. Does anyone know if the plastic UK connectors can be sourced anywhere?

Regards, F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Maplin having a "closing down" sale at the moment. Walked by the store near Jervis but it was closed, could be worth a look for a bargain or two. Not sure if it aligns with what's on the website - https://www.maplin.ie/

Granted, things there were at an extortionate price already, but there could be a few gems.

Shlippery wrote: »
    Maplin having a "closing down" sale at the moment. Walked by the store near Jervis but it was closed, could be worth a look for a bargain or two. Not sure if it aligns with what's on the website - https://www.maplin.ie/

Granted, things there were at an extortionate price already, but there could be a few gems.

I walked all over their Cork store over the weekend. Pretty much nothing anywhere close to as cheap as Amazon, etc.

For example, Logitech Cirlce 2 reduced to €223!!! I paid £70 for mine (currently €195 on Amazon).

I'm really sorry to see them go, I loved visiting the store, but you can easily see why they couldn't compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I walked all over their Cork store over the weekend. Pretty much nothing anywhere close to as cheap as Amazon, etc.

For example, Logitech Cirlce 2 reduced to €223!!! I paid £70 for mine (currently €195 on Amazon).

I'm really sorry to see them go, I loved visiting the store, but you can easily see why they couldn't compete.

As I suspected...it was my go-to shop to put together an Amazon shopping list! A chance to "window shop" and see how things look in person!

Advertisement