Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

bk wrote: »
    I walked all over their Cork store over the weekend. Pretty much nothing anywhere close to as cheap as Amazon, etc.

For example, Logitech Cirlce 2 reduced to €223!!! I paid £70 for mine (currently €195 on Amazon).

I'm really sorry to see them go, I loved visiting the store, but you can easily see why they couldn't compete.

There is literally nothing in their closing down sale that I want that is cheaper than on Amazon, and I've had a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    There is literally nothing in their closing down sale that I want that is cheaper than on Amazon, and I've had a good look.

And you wonder why they are closing their operation down in Ireland. Suprised they lasted as long as they did!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The only thing they were good for is buying components that you need in a hurry. Even then they charged 25c for a 1c resistor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Only once ever did I get something cheaper in maplins than online, and that was a clamp meter. Otherwise great for having a stroll around while the missus was shopping

Blink have a sale on

1 X indoor blink camera and 1 X outdoor blink camera with sync module for only £199

https://blinkforhome.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3418f7841dd26d2b1d1716d97&id=3600eff142&e=0b59e7b13e

1 X indoor camera + 2 X outdoor cameras with sync module for £299

https://blinkforhome.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3418f7841dd26d2b1d1716d97&id=b37df4d40d&e=0b59e7b13e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cletus wrote: »
    Only once ever did I get something cheaper in maplins than online, and that was a clamp meter. Otherwise great for having a stroll around while the missus was shopping

Taking note of things you like and then finding them on Amazon/Aliexpress later. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Amazon U.K. (but possibly only for Prime members)

Hue Dimmer Switch - down to £15.99
    Hue Motion sensor - down to £30.03
    Hue White Ambiance GU10 Twin Pack - down to £42.39 (and with the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £84.78)
    Hue White & Colour Ambiance E14/E27 twin pack - £71.07 (again in the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £142)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Amazon U.K. (but possibly only for Prime members)

Hue Dimmer Switch - down to £15.99
    Hue Motion sensor - down to £30.03
    Hue White Ambiance GU10 Twin Pack - down to £42.39 (and with the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £84.78)
    Hue White & Colour Ambiance E14/E27 twin pack - £71.07 (again in the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £142)

I'm not a prime member but was able to get the switch at the reduced price

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm not a prime member but was able to get the switch at the reduced price

ah grand, it was just sometimes I saw prices that non Prime members didn't see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cletus wrote: »
    Otherwise great for having a stroll around while the missus was shopping

LOL, that is exactly why I spent more then an hour in their over the weekend, herself was off in Next, etc. Daddy day care :)
    Taking note of things you like and then finding them on Amazon/Aliexpress later. :pac:

Yup, big time, I loved walking around as it would help me find things that I never knew existed and that I might like.

I do think if more bricks and mortars close, that eventually Amazon will have to open some physical locations to try things out and demo them. Apple do this well. Though I don't think you would need stores as large as the Maplins ones or with as much stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I do think if more bricks and mortars close, that eventually Amazon will have to open some physical locations to try things out and demo them. Apple do this well. Though I don't think you would need stores as large as the Maplins ones or with as much stock.

I think in USA they are looking to buy Toys'R'Us (after they went bust) shops to use as a physical location, and they already have a bunch of supermarkets and some physical bookshops.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mcgovern wrote: »
    I think in USA they are looking to buy Toys'R'Us (after they went bust) shops to use as a physical location, and they already have a bunch of supermarkets and some physical bookshops.

Yep and not just any supermarket, Whole Foods. Whole Foods don't have much of the grocery market, just like 2%, but they dominate the high end of the market.

The whole organic, natural food area and thus the people with the highest disposable income.

They have already been demoing and selling the various Amazon Fire and Echo devices there.

They have also opened a fully automated, no tills, shop, where you can just pick up any item and leave. Cameras track you and automatically bill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Can we please keep this thread to bargain alerts only?

Cond0r wrote: »
    Can we please keep this thread to bargain alerts only?

Apologies, you sometimes forget what thread you are replying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Osram Lightify Kit deal 68% off

THE ALM wrote: »
    Osram Lightify Kit deal 68% off

Reviews are horrible

Reviews are horrible

Just looking at them and it doesn't seem great alright, might be one to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_mini
    Looks like the GH Mini is back down to £34

And the GH down to £104 (from £129)
    https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home

They're doing these deals more frequently now it seems :)

Anyone using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/singlecue-Gesture-Control-Entertainment-Devices-Black/dp/B016ICIBOU/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
    It's £90 on Amazon UK vs €190 on DE (down from £120 in January)! Seems a good price, is it actually useful though, or one of those gimmicks that you use for a few days until the novelty wears off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

harmony elite is down to €180 on Amazon FR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Anyone using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/singlecue-Gesture-Control-Entertainment-Devices-Black/dp/B016ICIBOU/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
    It's £90 on Amazon UK vs €190 on DE (down from £120 in January)! Seems a good price, is it actually useful though, or one of those gimmicks that you use for a few days until the novelty wears off?

It looks really rubbish tbh. Check out a few video reviews. I'd take a punt at 20 quid, but not more!

Tado doing 20% off the starter kits

Google homes on sale. Just ordered another mini for £34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Tado doing 20% off the starter kits

They are selling a 4 pack of TRV's on the UK site for £196

https://www.tado.com/t/en/for-our-comfort-enthusiasts/

AngelaRI wrote: »
    https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_mini
    Looks like the GH Mini is back down to £34

And the GH down to £104 (from £129)
    https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home

They're doing these deals more frequently now it seems :)

Update: "Promotion period starts 20 Mar 2018 at 5:00 pm GMT-7 and ends 4 Apr 2018 at 3:59 pm GMT-7."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

When will the max be available in the UK I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

john4321 wrote: »
    They are selling a 4 pack of TRV's on the UK site for £196

https://www.tado.com/t/en/for-our-comfort-enthusiasts/

Can you set an individual schedule for each radiator with that? E.g. Bedrooms at morning and night, downstairs during the day, student childs room only at weekends, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

GarIT wrote: »
    Can you set an individual schedule for each radiator with that? E.g. Bedrooms at morning and night, downstairs during the day, student childs room only at weekends, etc?

You can indeed. Bear in mind that the TRV is not wired to call the boiler, it wirelessly calls the main Tado stat in whose zone it resides, and this fires the boiler on it's behalf. Any non smart TRV radiators in this zone will heat also. Ideally when you smart TRV a zone, you should do all of the rads, or else those most likely to be off when the others are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

30% off HUE today on Amazon Uk , 3 colour bulbs and hub £109

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

:o:o
    londonred wrote: »
    30% off HUE today on Amazon Uk , 3 colour bulbs and hub £109

Cheers londonred.. Hard to resist at that price so I couldn’t :D:o

deezell wrote: »
    You can indeed. Bear in mind that the TRV is not wired to call the boiler, it wirelessly calls the main Tado stat in whose zone it resides, and this fires the boiler on it's behalf. Any non smart TRV radiators in this zone will heat also. Ideally when you smart TRV a zone, you should do all of the rads, or else those most likely to be off when the others are on.

Thanks.

So if you want a zone for every room you need a thermostat and smart TRV for each room? There's a review on youtube that suggests that the TRV knows the temperature of the room it's in, he only got 1 thermostat yet has more than one zone.

20% off Hive Easter sale until the 8th. Tempted by the GU10 warm to cool spotlights as they work out at about £12 each, must resist as I have spent far too much already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

GarIT wrote: »
    Thanks.

So if you want a zone for every room you need a thermostat and smart TRV for each room? There's a review on youtube that suggests that the TRV knows the temperature of the room it's in, he only got 1 thermostat yet has more than one zone.

No, you dont need a TRV and thermostat in every room. When a TRV wants to turn on the radiator it sends a call to the thermostat, which then sends a call to the boiler. If every radiator in your house has a TRV then only one radiator will now turn on.

However, if some radiators do not have the smart TRV then they also turn on when teh thermostat sends a call to the boiler.

must resist as I have spent far too much already!

46d4e2a7556ecbd3052ed9e57bbf1b2dade9ad92964b85771a988af5d510a844.jpg

No, you dont need a TRV and thermostat in every room. When a TRV wants to turn on the radiator it sends a call to the thermostat, which then sends a call to the boiler. If every radiator in your house has a TRV then only one radiator will now turn on.

However, if some radiators do not have the smart TRV then they also turn on when teh thermostat sends a call to the boiler.

I have a theory on this. It does rely on the Tado TRVs working without a hub, which I may or may not have read somewhere that they don't.

Anyways.... IF every radiator had a Tado TRV, and each TRV knew what time its room needed to be at what temperature. Could the heating just be put on constant? In instances where every valve is closed, the loop would be shut, so the heating would not run (I might be wrong in this, im no plumber). In instances where 1/2/3 radiators open up because their rooms are too cold, the boiler would kick in and heat those rooms.

So... how wrong have I got this?

• Advertisement

Great thanks

This is exactly the setup I (my mam) wants. I think the issue would be if you have the boiler on while all the radiators off would be very inefficient. The ideal setup we want would be with no main thermostat(it will never be used if every radiator has it's own zone) and just control the temperature and schedule of each room individually from the smart TRV.

I have a theory on this. It does rely on the Tado TRVs working without a hub, which I may or may not have read somewhere that they don't.

Anyways.... IF every radiator had a Tado TRV, and each TRV knew what time its room needed to be at what temperature. Could the heating just be put on constant? In instances where every valve is closed, the loop would be shut, so the heating would not run (I might be wrong in this, im no plumber). In instances where 1/2/3 radiators open up because their rooms are too cold, the boiler would kick in and heat those rooms.

That would leave your boiler short cycling (heating the water in its heat exchanger when there is no demand). This is wasteful and can damage your boiler

Disclaimer: IANAP

Well there is actually two ways you can control the boiler with Tado:

1) Directly with the Smart Thermostat (the one with a screen on it)
    2) Indirectly with the Dual Channel wireless receiver.

Now, I could be wrong, so double check. But I think you could pair the TRV's with the Dual Channel Wireless Receiver and skip the Smart Thermostat part.

Of course, ideally you will want a TRV on every rad otherwise any rad without a TRV will also heat when the boiler is switched on.

Tado do talk about using TRV's without either of the above, but I think that is more aimed at district heating systems where you have like one boiler for an example an entire apartment building, that runs all the time and you only control the rads in your apartment, but not the boiler.

Such systems aren't common in Ireland, but a lot more common in continental Europe. I don't think this would work for most Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

1. For a local boiler you need to cut the boiler when all TRVs are closed
    2. TRVs can only cut the boiler via an associated stat.
    3. TRVs will not work without a hub/ bridge, but will work without a stat ( but no boiler control), e.g community heating with constant pumped heating water. TRVs can't fire boiler through ext. Kit without a main stat.
    4. If all rads have TRVs, the TRVs on the rad(s) in the same location as the main stat can be slaved to that stat, stat becomes the temperature measuring device. This avoids temperature threshold conflict.
    5. TRVs can similarly be grouped, with a number of TRVs as slaves to single measuring one. This helps avoid having too many zones and schedules to manage
    6. The above applies to Tado TRVs
    7. We should have this debate in the https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/106487728 thread before we incur wrath of bargain junkies.

If anyone is looking for any Lightwave RF kit then I have a single use 15% off code. Good until April 2nd on orders over £100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Smart Bulb, MEAMOR Light LED Dimmable 7W RGB Bulb,Work with Alexa and Google Home ,Multicolored Color Changing Wake Up Lights , Party and Decorative Bulbs, Remote Controlled by IOS/Android Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZLTVNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wREVAbR9N5EWK

Current lightning deal on amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Well there is actually two ways you can control the boiler with Tado:

1) Directly with the Smart Thermostat (the one with a screen on it)
    2) Indirectly with the Dual Channel wireless receiver.

Now, I could be wrong, so double check. But I think you could pair the TRV's with the Dual Channel Wireless Receiver and skip the Smart Thermostat part.

Of course, ideally you will want a TRV on every rad otherwise any rad without a TRV will also heat when the boiler is switched on.

Tado do talk about using TRV's without either of the above, but I think that is more aimed at district heating systems where you have like one boiler for an example an entire apartment building, that runs all the time and you only control the rads in your apartment, but not the boiler.

Such systems aren't common in Ireland, but a lot more common in continental Europe. I don't think this would work for most Irish people.

Most boilers will have stat on the return. So let's say set to 60c and when all the trvs are closed the heat coming back will increase and turn off the boiler. That's the set up I have with an old wireless chronostat. The trvs on rads will work in the same way.

Basically my boiler kicks in and out at the preset times. It may turn on for only 8-10 mins per hour once it reaches the set point.

Assuming you have a stat on return, trv system will work, the only thing running is the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm in the market for 20x Hue light bulbs and a couple of the strips too.

I notice on Amazon today that they are between 6% and 18% off - I don't need them for about 4 months though (house getting redone), would I be better off waiting for a bigger discount? I've seen in the thread there was a 30% discount a few days ago..

What type of Hue bulbs are you needing? B22/E27/GU10

White only? White Ambiance? White & Colour Ambiance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

What type of Hue bulbs are you needing? B22/E27/GU10

I don't know yet - everything is getting rewired and the biggest room is a new extension altogether. I can probably pick actually.
    x16 will be down lights/recessed and x5 will be hanging.
    White only? White Ambiance? White & Colour Ambiance?

I think x12 colour ambience (downstairs) and x8 white ambiance (bedrooms).

Twin packs appear to be the best value of late, and coupled with the 3 for 2 deal, it’s quite a decent price per bulb.

John Lewis had a few 3-for-2 deals on last I checked - I got some good deals from them last month, 12 bulbs (incl starter kit), 3 were free from bundling the deals, whole house got done at once so keep an eye on them. They also have bundles with Hue Tap or motion sensor along with lights, or GH/Echo with lights, and I think shipping was free (only catch is you need ParcelMotel or similar to get a UK address, but all was very quick and pain free)

Philips Hue White & Colour GU10 bulbs down to £39.49 on Amazon U.K.

Hue sensor down to £29.95 on Amazon U.K.

Hue E14/E27/B22 white & colour single bulbs down to £42.39

E27 white & Colour twin pack is still £71.07

• Advertisement
Advertisement