Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It doesn't use your WiFi at all. The hub plugs in using Ethernet

Just to add ZigBee uses the same frequencies at WiFi, it's a completely separate hidden network that will not show on any devices. You can change ZigBee channel should you have any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok going to bite the bullet I think, concern is the starter kit. The white bulbs, how white are they?

I bought white light before and my wife accused me of making the place look like hospital. These are the bulbs we currently use
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHILT36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I was going to buy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Starter-Kit/dp/B07V4912Y2/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3QY1QZLT1JIFW&keywords=philips+hue&qid=1577034050&sprefix=philips%2Caps%2C268&sr=8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok going to bite the bullet I think, concern is the starter kit. The white bulbs, how white are they?

I bought white light before and my wife accused me of making the place look like hospital. These are the bulbs we currently use
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHILT36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I was going to buy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Starter-Kit/dp/B07V4912Y2/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3QY1QZLT1JIFW&keywords=philips+hue&qid=1577034050&sprefix=philips%2Caps%2C268&sr=8-10

So you went with cool white where most would find warm white more comfortable.

The Philips hue has a number of different colours types such as cool, warm ambience etc....

You can control on your tablet or phone or if you have s dimmer switch.

So you went with cool white where most would find warm white more comfortable.

The Philips hue has a number of different colours types such as cool, warm ambience etc....

You can control on your tablet or phone or if you have s dimmer switch.

I might be stupid, I can see white and ambient which is more expensive and does all the colours

Can the white bulb change to warm white? Or just stay white? Thanks

I might be stupid, I can see white and ambient which is more expensive and does all the colours

Can the white bulb change to warm white? Or just stay white? Thanks

Should do three colour temperature.

I have near all the colours ones as can then use for Halloween or Christmas app ... Lights all change which is deadly and also when have music on use the disco app.

I have near all the colours ones as can then use for Halloween or Christmas app ... Lights all change which is deadly and also when have music on use the disco app.

I was just going to buy starter kit with white bulb and test it out....if I then think I will use I would go for the multicolour bulbs.....once the bulb are not the real white then the misses won’t even notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I was just going to buy starter kit with white bulb and test it out....if I then think I will use I would go for the multicolour bulbs.....once the bulb are not the real white then the misses won’t even notice

There is 3 types of bulbs:
    1. White only. Can only dim
    2. White Ambiance. Can do all temps of white from cool to warm.
    3. Can do colour and also all temps of white.

The white only are fairly warm. I had them in our kitchen for a while and my wife didn't complain and she doesn't like light that is too cold also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Would you mind sharing the apps you use? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

Based on previous these are a rip off because the rate you get is terrible. Better off getting th ehigher discount and then buying the item out of savings

Of course I could be wrong but I dont see the % discount

You could enquire, or just go on switcher.is to compare

MAJJ wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing the apps you use? Thanks

Hue Halloween, hue disco, hue Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

For GDP 65, you could get 2 white & color ambience bluetooth enabled bulbs and an echo dot.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZRCVFR/ref=twister_B07H625JJL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You wouldn't need a hub for these, they work with wifi, but you could add a hub at a later date if you wanted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hue Halloween, hue disco, hue Christmas.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, are those the names of the apps and are they third party (paid).as that's all I an find in the play store.

For GDP 65, you could get 2 white & color ambience bluetooth enabled bulbs and an echo dot.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZRCVFR/ref=twister_B07H625JJL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You wouldn't need a hub for these, they work with wifi, but you could add a hub at a later date if you wanted.

Thanks, I have 3 dots now :-)

Found this which seems to be best deal around

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0797WGVWW?tag=haggle-web-es-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Sorry if this is a dumb question, are those the names of the apps and are they third party (paid).as that's all I an find in the play store.

They are hue apps.

They were 2 or 3 euro something like that....

Halloween one went down very well as we had 102 callers to the house...

They are hue apps.

They were 2 or 3 euro something like that....

Halloween one went down very well as we had 102 callers to the house...

Is it 'Hue Christmas for Philips Hue'....not great recent reviews but you seem happy enough?

Is it 'Hue Christmas for Philips Hue'....not great recent reviews but you seem happy enough?

I got the Christmas one and I honestly only used it a little last year but Halloween and hue disco I used especially disco, having few beers and the tunes it adds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

Saw this deal, ends tonight though..... Hue Motion Sensor & 2m Light Strip for £55, looks like a bargain??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    Saw this deal, ends tonight though..... Hue Motion Sensor & 2m Light Strip for £55, looks like a bargain??

Just be aware it doesn't come with the bridge

30% off Hue colour bulbs today on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nest Hello is currently €250 at Harvey Norman. Picked one up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

liamog wrote: »
    Nest Hello is currently €250 at Harvey Norman. Picked one up today.

Any idea if this is still going? can't see it online anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Slightly off topic, but has anyone got a new smart TV in the sales that they could recommend?
    Looking for a 50-55" 4k led.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

paulbok wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone got a new smart TV in the sales that they could recommend?

Go to the Richersounds forum and chat to the lads there, they will sort you out. I got a LG 55SM8600 earlier in the year from them and I'm very happy with it

paulbok wrote: »

I bought recently, was in Arnott warehouse sale. 55" with soundbar etc. Think it was 550

I wanted LG as it will run an app in it most other TV's won't :D so was willing to pay the premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I bought recently, was in Arnott warehouse sale. 55" with soundbar etc. Think it was 550

I wanted LG as it will run an app in it most other TV's won't :D so was willing to pay the premium

Curious, what's the app ?

Curious, what's the app ?

https://siptv.app/news/

You can get that on Samsung also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant.html

Seems like a bit of a bargain. Even though I had the original Nest Hub and gave that to the sister after getting the Max, I've ordered this, just to have a look. Maybe it'll find a home in the kitchen or bedroom.

Typical bloody bargains. Don't need it but got it anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant.html

Seems like a bit of a bargain. Even though I had the original Nest Hub and gave that to the sister after getting the Max, I've ordered this, just to have a look. Maybe it'll find a home in the kitchen or bedroom.

Typical bloody bargains. Don't need it but got it anyway.

I have one of these as a bedroom clock, tasty little device - I just use it as an alarm clock and to play the radio. It's a bargain at that price

Spocker wrote: »
    I have one of these as a bedroom clock, tasty little device - I just use it as an alarm clock and to play the radio. It's a bargain at that price

I'd have it in the bedroom in a flash but the missus is an out and out Luddite. I might still try and sneak it in though or see if I can put it on the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd have it in the bedroom in a flash but the missus is an out and out Luddite. I might still try and sneak it in though or see if I can put it on the fridge.

Yep my misses won’t let any device with a microphone in the bedroom. Phones need to have Siri and Google disabled at night

ted1 wrote: »
    Yep my misses won’t let any device with a microphone in the bedroom. Phones need to have Siri and Google disabled at night

Oooh that's harsh. Mines not quite that tough thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭EletricMan

Can you view nest cameras on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

ted1 wrote: »

That alarm (and I think all Google/Nest home devices) has a switch at the back to turn off the mic. If you don't trust that then I wouldn't allow any device at all into the bedroom (all in the fridge maybe ala Edward Snowden?). And I'm not being sarky there btw, Snowden has a fair idea of what is possible, if phones in the fridge is good enough for him, its good enough for anyone requiring a high level of security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

Off topic I know, but Samsung Smart TVs with the extra voice activated mini remote are listening all the time. When you buy new that remote has to be enabled to use, and a load of small print appears which authorises them to gather information. Keep it in a drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Most that are super paranoid about this stuff are probably holding a cheap Chinese android in their pocket all the time anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MickH503

Spocker wrote: »

Is the clock display on all the time? Would it be too bright for bedroom at night?

• Advertisement

MickH503 wrote: »
    Is the clock display on all the time? Would it be too bright for bedroom at night?

I know the Google home hubs dim to black and white clock in low light. I would assume this is the same

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

MickH503 wrote: »

The display is indeed on all of the time, but with adaptive brightness. It's black text on a white background during the day, light grey text on a black background at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Home Hub back at £59 at Google store. Well worth the extra €25.

Home Hub back at £59 at Google store. Well worth the extra €25.

Yes and no 😃

I had it but couldn't use it in the house when our toddler was up as she'd find Youtube and watch videos. I can leave this out now as she won't be able to watch videos. Currently the Hub Max only comes out after she's gone to bed. I gave the Nest Hub to my sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes and no ðŸ˜႒

I had it but couldn't use it in the house when our toddler was up as she'd find Youtube and watch videos. I can leave this out now as she won't be able to watch videos. Currently the Hub Max only comes out after she's gone to bed. I gave the Nest Hub to my sister.
    Put it somewhere higher?

Put it somewhere higher?

Ha.... imagine the frustration that would cause. There would be constant complaints upon entering whatever room. Anywhoo tis grand, this unit seems like it'll fit the bill nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Are the hubs ever on offer? Bought the TV strips without realising it was needed. Don't seem to be any for sale on adverts. Or if anyone here has one spare going, will buy?

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Are the hubs ever on offer? Bought the TV strips without realising it was needed. Don't seem to be any for sale on adverts. Or if anyone here has one spare going, will buy?

Had some spare but sold them last week, they appear often on adverts and there’s often deals on Amazon with starter kits (that’s how I ended up with spares).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

GaGa21 wrote: »

I have one, pm me if you want it

• Advertisement

For anyone near a UK Argos store, put 3 TP Link smart plugs in your basket and it's reducing the price to £30 for the lot.

Not working on the IE site :(

Advertisement