Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Google Nest Hub half price on UK store. https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub?hl=en-GB 59GBP.

I had one delivered through parcel motel last time they were on sale. I use it mainly as a bedside clock which is not what I had expected. Sound is ok for music, I wouldn't listen to a full album due to quality but it's great from talk radio/podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

mmrs wrote: »
    Google Nest Hub half price on UK store. https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub?hl=en-GB 59GBP.

I had one delivered through parcel motel last time they were on sale. I use it mainly as a bedside clock which is not what I had expected. Sound is ok for music, I wouldn't listen to a full album due to quality but it's great from talk radio/podcasts.

Was about to get a nest mini to supplement my 2 other google minis but the above seems like a better thing that I don't need.

Ordered :pac:

Quaran-treat yoself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

I'd love to get a good deal on a nest hub max, kind of thinking of hanging on for one of those vs the smaller nest hub.

Picked up 3 of the nest minis on the IE Google store at the weekend when they were at the €29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

echo show 8 - £59.99 incl delivery to ireland

Plus a lot of other Amazon Echo products reduced

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jammer84 wrote: »
    I'd love to get a good deal on a nest hub max, kind of thinking of hanging on for one of those vs the smaller nest hub.

Picked up 3 of the nest minis on the IE Google store at the weekend when they were at the €29

Cheapest I've seen was €200 in Dixons duty free, got one for the lounge and moved the hub to beside bed.

Ya I'm torn. I'd love one with a display for the kitchen or living room and I've a hello doorbell ready for install, just trying to figure out whether to hold out for the max. Sound quality seems to be much better.

I've a Home & 4 nest mini's now ready to go when we move into our house, hopefully soon after this lock down blows over.

jammer84 wrote: »
    Ya I'm torn. I'd love one with a display for the kitchen or living room and I've a hello doorbell ready for install, just trying to figure out whether to hold out for the max. Sound quality seems to be much better.

I've a Home & 4 nest mini's now ready to go when we move into our house, hopefully soon after this lock down blows over.

Got a max more for the camera as have relatives abroad, works a treat as no longer have to hold a phone or tablet when doing a video call (first world problem I know).

Camera in the max moves around if you do and of course shows footage from the Nest hello. It really is the business. Got the folks one for Christmas so we are calling max to max.

We have 3 minis, 2 homes, 2 hubs, a max, various smart bulbs, sockets and nest hello - sort of addicted.

If you don't want to spend that much there's always this one (no idea if camera moves around on it or not but that may not be important to you).

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-8-smart-display-with-google-assistant-grey.html

The max will come down especially for the next black Friday and can be on special at the airport if you pass frequently (luckily I do).

Got a max more for the camera as have relatives abroad, works a treat as no longer have to hold a phone or tablet when doing a video call (first world problem I know).

Camera in the max moves around if you do and of course shows footage from the Nest hello. It really is the business. Got the folks one for Christmas so we are calling max to max.

We have 3 minis, 2 homes, 2 hubs, a max, various smart bulbs, sockets and nest hello - sort of addicted.

If you don't want to spend that much there's always this one (no idea if camera moves around on it or not but that may not be important to you).

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-8-smart-display-with-google-assistant-grey.html

The max will come down especially for the next black Friday and can be on special at the airport if you pass frequently (luckily I do).

Ya I think when I'm abroad for work (only 4 times a year) it would be useful for video calling home. The idea of YouTube video's, etc in the kitchen whilst cooking could be cool too. Likewise I'm invested heavily in the Philips Hue world so all these will be useful. The geeky part of me :)

Long term I want to put Sonos into the living room but that could be months off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

What’s the sound like on a mini?

• Advertisement

Personally think they are pretty good - obiously not of Bose or Sonos quality but for the price, v good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

These were €89 a few weeks back on komplett, maybe worth keeping an eye out there incase they drop again

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

unklerosco wrote: »
    These were €89 a few weeks back on komplett, maybe worth keeping an eye out there incase they drop again

I think (and could be wrong) that somebody said that the Komplett one was a slightly different model number than the Harvey Norman one.

I'm regretting not pulling the trigger on the Komplett one. It's gone back up to €179 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I think (and could be wrong) that somebody said that the Komplett one was a slightly different model number than the Harvey Norman one.

I'm regretting not pulling the trigger on the Komplett one. It's gone back up to €179 now.

I got the komplett one, only difference is it has an EU plug on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is it disadvantage if not bluetooth? or what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it disadvantage if not bluetooth? or what is the difference?

It wouldn't make a difference once you have the Philips hue hub, but the next generation Philips hue bulbs are Bluetooth enabled, you don't need a hub, they can be controlled via an app alone.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't make a difference once you have the Philips hue hub, but the next generation Philips hue bulbs are Bluetooth enabled, you don't need a hub, they can be controlled via an app alone.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Think you can only have a max of 10 bulbs if going the Bluetooth route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Think you can only have a max of 10 bulbs if going the Bluetooth route.

I bought a few new bulbs recently as I moved to a new house with more lights. Noticed they were bluetooth. Newer firmware on them and different model numbers but work seamlessly with the older ones on my hub, totally indistinguishable.

Just out of curiosity: the hub is what connects the lights to the internet is it not, so if you're using the bluetooth ones sans hub, you can control them from the app if you're within range (of at least one: zigbee), but not remotely???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I've three of them grand for voice but if your thinking of music look elsewhere.

jones wrote: »
    I've three of them grand for voice but if your thinking of music look elsewhere.

Going to try one of these I think...Sonos quality with an ikea price tag. Black Friday has hoodxdeals on Sonos and LG google home enabled speakers too.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/news/symfonisk-collection-pubaafe6500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Going to try one of these I think...Sonos quality with an ikea price tag. Black Friday has hoodxdeals on Sonos and LG google home enabled speakers too.

They've had great reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

I've got one of the bookshelf speakers and it's fantastic. Love it and will be getting more of them for around the house in due course. Great value unit. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

I've got one of the bookshelf speakers and it's fantastic. Love it and will be getting more of them for around the house in due course. Great value unit. Highly recommended.

Anyone pair these with a beam ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just an fyi - they've crap wifi capability. Recurrent disconnecting and poor signal. I ended up moving one of my netgear powernet plugs to connect it by cat5 cos it was cutting out so much.

Tried loads of different settings but even with every other device inactive it was still patchy (whilst no other device I have does it, even those driving video content).

If you're putting it far from your router or with big walls in the way I'd factor in netpower plugs or you'll be annoyed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Haven't tried those but have lots of Ikea ones (available for home delivery). There's a new generation since I bought mine - now even cheaper. Quality of light is great and can't argue with the price. Pairing was a little tricky - had to use touchlink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Mr.S wrote: »
    Had a look at the Ikea ones but seems the pairing to a Hue Bridge is a bit buggy / quite a few of the reviews I looked at said the bulbs often disconnect?

We've good experience with ours, they not quite as responsive as the hue ones but in most cases not a big issue. Eg we've 8 downlighters in the kitchen, when turned on there's an ever so slight delay between the lights so they don't all come on at the exact same time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mr.S wrote: »
    Had a look at the Ikea ones but seems the pairing to a Hue Bridge is a bit buggy / quite a few of the reviews I looked at said the bulbs often disconnect?

I have plenty of them. I am a big fan of Philips Hue but I think they are massively overpriced.

Regarding the Ikea smart lamps:

Advantages
    1. Cost they are around ⅓ of the cost of the Philips Hue equivalent.
    2. They work with the Philips Hue app (therefore Google Home & Alexa)
    3. If you bring a faulty one back to Ikea they will replace without any argument
    4. They work with all Philips Hue accessories including Philips Hue bridge, motion detectors and switches.

Disadvantages
    1. Harder to pair
    2. Occasionally disconnect
    3. Around 1 in 15 will fail prematurely

Solutions for disadvantages
    1. Disconnect all other smart bulbs (both Ikea and Philips Hue) when pairing and have the new lamp you are trying to pair beside the Philips Hue bridge. I disconnect the smart bulbs by switching off the lighting MCBs. This has always worked for me within 5 minutes (max) for each bulb. Note: Some of the far older lamps (over 3 years ago) were much more of a challenge to pair.
    2. Switch the MCBs on and off, problem solved. Only 1 out of 10 seems to disconnect one every 2 months or so.
    3. Bring back to Ikea for a no quibbles replacement. As they are so cheap I always have several spares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Waterproof google assistant speaker if anyone is looking for one for the likes of a bathroom. Use addresspal to get free uk shipping.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/kygo-b9-800-smart-speaker-with-google-assistant-chromecast-ipx-7-waterproof-dual-band-wifi-bluetooth?utm_source=hotukdeals.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdeals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/lenovo+smart+clock/xx-criteria.html

The Lenovo Smart Clock is reduced again on Curry's UK- down to £39.98 with free UK delivery.

I have 3 in total around the house. Sound wise they probably aren't quite as good as a Nest Mini but I can live with that as generally speaking there's usually a 2nd better smart speaker in the same room. I bought them to have in easily accessible places as I figured the 3 year old wouldn't be all that interested in something which didn't play YouTube and thankfully I was right.

One resides on top of the fridge in the kitchen. It's handy for setting timers and generally being a clock as one of the clock faces has a very large font

Another sits on a sideboard in the living room and again works well as a clock

The last one is in the bedroom where it does sterling service soothing the little one to sleep on the big bed in the evening before she's transferred to her own room

At this price they are well worth it as an additional speaker with a display. They can show a Nest cam feed (though they aren't ideal for continual usage) and a recent update allows them to show photos from Google Photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/lenovo+smart+clock/xx-criteria.html

The Lenovo Smart Clock is reduced again on Curry's UK- down to £39.98 with free UK delivery.

I have 3 in total around the house. Sound wise they probably aren't quite as good as a Nest Mini but I can live with that as generally speaking there's usually a 2nd better smart speaker in the same room. I bought them to have in easily accessible places as I figured the 3 year old wouldn't be all that interested in something which didn't play YouTube and thankfully I was right.

One resides on top of the fridge in the kitchen. It's handy for setting timers and generally being a clock as one of the clock faces has a very large font

Another sits on a sideboard in the living room and again works well as a clock

The last one is in the bedroom where it does sterling service soothing the little one to sleep on the big bed in the evening before she's transferred to her own room

At this price they are well worth it as an additional speaker with a display. They can show a Nest cam feed (though they aren't ideal for continual usage) and a recent update allows them to show photos from Google Photos.

Hi can you pull a nest cam feed with out talking to it. Like pull down menu on the Google screen

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Hi can you pull a nest cam feed with out talking to it. Like pull down menu on the Google screen

No you can't. It was never really designed to be anything more than just a clock so it's a little clumsy. You have to tell it to take the feed.

Using it to monitor a nest cam for a few moment is fine but any longer and it las behind the live feed massively, it seems to be a big issue with so actual solution. I wouldn't use it other than to check something instantly.
    For example at night I have a Nest indoor cam in the toddlers room and use a Hug Max to monitor that as no matter how long it's showing the feed, it's pretty much a live feed.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

What they are very useful for is another screen to show a Nest Doorbell ringing. The feed pops up like a normal Hub when the doorbell is pressed. I'm actually tempted to get a second one for my office as I am oblivious to the world when I'm WHF with my Bose noise cancelling headphones on.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    What they are very useful for is another screen to show a Nest Doorbell ringing. The feed pops up like a normal Hub when the doorbell is pressed. I'm actually tempted to get a second one for my office as I am oblivious to the world when I'm WHF with my Bose noise cancelling headphones on.

Ah I didn't know they'd work with the doorbell, that's great so.

Hey all,

Some serious deals on Tado over on Amazon at the moment for anyone thinking of expanding, or jumping into the smart heating controls bandwagon.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/619D9A85-36A3-49C5-BE32-950CE037E286?ingress=2&visitId=01bb2361-7492-40d7-9913-c6cd0cadf93e&ref_=ast_bln

Rgds,

P

Hey all,

Some serious deals on Tado over on Amazon at the moment for anyone thinking of expanding, or jumping into the smart heating controls bandwagon.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/619D9A85-36A3-49C5-BE32-950CE037E286?ingress=2&visitId=01bb2361-7492-40d7-9913-c6cd0cadf93e&ref_=ast_bln

Rgds,

P

They are cutting the price because they want to sell the subscription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

They are cutting the price because they want to sell the subscription

Its off season now for heating controls too though!
    I take it you would need this one for a standard 3 zone boiler? (tado° Smart Thermostat - Add-on for Multi-Room Control, Intelligent Heating Control)

• Advertisement

Its off season now for heating controls too though!
    I take it you would need this one for a standard 3 zone boiler? (tado° Smart Thermostat - Add-on for Multi-Room Control, Intelligent Heating Control)

Yep that should do it alright.

When you say 3 zones, I assume you mean ground floor/1st floor and hot water? If so, then you'll need this, along with 1 more smart thermostat which you will have to hardwire. Tado only supports 1 wireless smart thermostat connected to the extension kit.

I'm in the process of having it installed at the moment and I can say without any hesitation that Tado's support is amazing. Very impressed.

Regarding the comment above about the subscription, obviously I haven't got it connected to my boiler as yet, and so far I'm just testing some of the features via use of Smart TRV's, but I don't think the sub is required really, particularly if you've got home assistant in your home. Yes it provides automation for open windows / home away etc, but that can either be done by you manually via notification, or via home assistant if you've got that.

So looks like a great time to buy the parts and spread the cost out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks for the tip Paul. Yes I've thermostat for downstairs upstairs and water. I've solar water heating so I reckon I won't be using the boiler now again for a while unless it's a very bad summer. So it's a great time to play with the installation.
    But it sounds like tado support should keep it from taking too long.
    When you say hardwired for the second stat, do you mean connecting it into the current thermostat circuit on the wall?

Thanks for the tip Paul. Yes I've thermostat for downstairs upstairs and water. I've solar water heating so I reckon I won't be using the boiler now again for a while unless it's a very bad summer. So it's a great time to play with the installation.
    But it sounds like tado support should keep it from taking too long.
    When you say hardwired for the second stat, do you mean connecting it into the current thermostat circuit on the wall?

Yeah, I believe in certain circumstances if your house already has wired thermostats, you can just swap them out for the tado ones. I'd double check the wiring config of what you've got now, with the Tado peeps for confirmation of same.

But yes, I'm trying to make the most of the current situation at home to work through a few little projects also!

Once I've got my install finished, I intend to write up a decent post on the Home Heating Automation thread that might be useful for others with a pretty basic oil fired system and making it all smart.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yep that should do it alright.

When you say 3 zones, I assume you mean ground floor/1st floor and hot water? If so, then you'll need this, along with 1 more smart thermostat which you will have to hardwire. Tado only supports 1 wireless smart thermostat connected to the extension kit.

I'm in the process of having it installed at the moment and I can say without any hesitation that Tado's support is amazing. Very impressed.

Regarding the comment above about the subscription, obviously I haven't got it connected to my boiler as yet, and so far I'm just testing some of the features via use of Smart TRV's, but I don't think the sub is required really, particularly if you've got home assistant in your home. Yes it provides automation for open windows / home away etc, but that can either be done by you manually via notification, or via home assistant if you've got that.

So looks like a great time to buy the parts and spread the cost out.
    Damn. Had always ignored these because of the subscription, but I already have home-assistant running in the house. Really don't need open window detection or any of that craic at the moment. Do the basic functions work for the app without the subscription? Would need to pass the wife test

xckjoo wrote: »
    Damn. Had always ignored these because of the subscription, but I already have home-assistant running in the house. Really don't need open window detection or any of that craic at the moment. Do the basic functions work for the app without the subscription? Would need to pass the wife test

So as I mentioned above, I installed my bridge and Smart TRV's just to get the basic bits of the system installed, and start to figure out the system a little before my installer comes to install the valves, extension kit and connect to the boiler etc. So unless something massive crops up when it's properly installed, I really can't see what the sub is going to give me extra, other than automation (IE: Open window, leaving the home and switch to away mode etc), which I can achieve via Home Assistant. Additionally, in the latest version of Home Assistant, they've now got Tado setup as a proper integration, so it's much easier to understand which bits you an work with for scripts, automations etc.

As I mentioned above, once I've got my Tado properly installed in the coming weeks, I intend to write up a decent post to hopefully help others out, as a few people have been very good to me on here with information to get me to this point. But my hope is to go sub free, and get HA to do what the Tado sub would do, and perhaps even do it a little better.

P.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not 100% sure where to post this but this seems to be as good as anywhere

Google Nest Alerts subscription service is available now in Ireland, €100 for 12 months with a month's free trial, so 13 months for the price of 10, I've signed up anyway :)

https://store.google.com/product/nest_aware

Looking at my doorbell I see that at top quality it uploads 300gb a month, that's some amount of data storage for €10 a month if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Clareman wrote: »
    Not 100% sure where to post this but this seems to be as good as anywhere

Google Nest Alerts subscription service is available now in Ireland, €100 for 12 months with a month's free trial, so 13 months for the price of 10, I've signed up anyway :)

https://store.google.com/product/nest_aware

Looking at my doorbell I see that at top quality it uploads 300gb a month, that's some amount of data storage for €10 a month if nothing else

It's also worth noting that their new nest aware plans for cctv storage is now a fixed fee per month for all cameras.

It used to increase in price when you added cameras.

eg 1 camera - €50/year, add a second --> €80 per year.

Now it's €50 per year no matter how many cameras you have.

Not specific to home automation but a mesh will certainly help with a connected house

I have been buying and selling loads of mesh wifi trying to find the perfect one, in the end a powerline system seems best and came across these. This is a massive bargain as everywhere else they are 200+

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

I ended up buying two sets for just a bit extra of the Tp-link equivalents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Not specific to home automation but a mesh will certainly help with a connected house

I have been buying and selling loads of mesh wifi trying to find the perfect one, in the end a powerline system seems best and came across these. This is a massive bargain as everywhere else they are 200+

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

I ended up buying two sets for just a bit extra of the Tp-link equivalents

So you plan on connecting then using power line adaptors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So you plan on connecting then using power line adaptors?

They have powerline functionality built in.

Advertisement