Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So you plan on connecting then using power line adaptors?

They are mesh Wi-Fi with power line as a backup, so in my house I have block walls and even with triband some rooms are struggling so the power line will boost the performance

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They are mesh Wi-Fi with power line as a backup, so in my house I have block walls and even with triband some rooms are struggling so the power line will boost the performance

Do you just replace the tp-link powerline adaptor with these. I.e. do they directly plug into the wall, or does the powerline functionality still work even if plugged in with the enclosed lead and plug. I've a big issue with my wifi keeping dropping. I'm wondering if this would be a solution. Also I've a number of devices IP cameras etc which only work on 2.4ghz - does this do both 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

sorry for all the questions but I'm not tech savvy, and really frustrated with my wifi in the house at the moment.

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Do you just replace the tp-link powerline adaptor with these. I.e. do they directly plug into the wall, or does the powerline functionality still work even if plugged in with the enclosed lead and plug. I've a big issue with my wifi keeping dropping. I'm wondering if this would be a solution. Also I've a number of devices IP cameras etc which only work on 2.4ghz - does this do both 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

sorry for all the questions but I'm not tech savvy, and really frustrated with my wifi in the house at the moment.

You replace the TP-Link with these.

So a standard mesh is tri or dual band. Dual Band is 2.4Ghz/5Ghz and is entry mesh. Tri-band then has a separate 5Ghz wifi network for internode communication.

Tri-band works good and I currently have them but the issue I have is block walls and a larg bungalow. So combination of powerline and mesh will give best of both worlds.

The mesh increase range and performance. The Huawei has both 2.4Gha and 5Ghz

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So glad they introduced the new Nest Aware Plans. We swapped out the back garden camera for a Nest one to go with the doorbell. I switched over today, and will be gettting a €10 refund for apparently the same service as we had on one doorbell that now covers the doorbell and the garden. Thanks Clareman for the headsup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

So a standard mesh is tri or dual band. Dual Band is 2.4Ghz/5Ghz and is entry mesh. Tri-band then has a separate 5Ghz wifi network for internode communication.

Tri-band works good and I currently have them but the issue I have is block walls and a larg bungalow. So combination of powerline and mesh will give best of both worlds.

If I was to plug one of these into a socket in garden shed, would that improve signal in the garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Thanks for the advice - I must give them a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

liamog wrote: »
    So glad they introduced the new Nest Aware Plans. We swapped out the back garden camera for a Nest one to go with the doorbell. I switched over today, and will be gettting a €10 refund for apparently the same service as we had on one doorbell that now covers the doorbell and the garden. Thanks Clareman for the headsup

Had the 5 day plan. Just changed it to the 30day one for the same price as I was paying. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Had the 5 day plan. Just changed it to the 30day one for the same price as I was paying. Brilliant.

Please be aware that the new 30 day plan doesn't include continuous recording. It now only records when it detects motion/sound/etc. You need to upgrade the 60 day plan for that. :(

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    Please be aware that the new 30 day plan doesn't include continuous recording. It now only records when it detects motion/sound/etc. You need to upgrade the 60 day plan for that. :(

Ah sh#%t balls!!! Didn't realise that!! Feck it anyway. I just got email about getting a prorated refund for last sub. If I upgrade to €100/yr will cause an issue with payment / refunds. Might try it for the year and see if I need it or just the 5day one.

Might just go back to 5day one or can I??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah I thought that sucked big time. The reason I went for Nest as opposed to Ring was because it had 24/7 recording so I had little choice but to upgrade to the more expensive option. It does now mean though that the Hub Max I have is covered and I have a cheap IP camera in the living room which I'll swap out to a Nest indoor at some point. Not having to pay a subscription for that is positive.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's a sneaky one by Google if you ask me. I made the same mistake and only found out later that it has this limitation.

Yeah, that's a sneaky one by Google if you ask me. I made the same mistake and only found out later that it has this limitation.

Yeah makes more sense to just get 100euro sub and get outdoor camera as I am in the market for one anyway. Sneaky, very Sneaky.

Anyone using any outdoor nest aware Compatible cameras or can recommend any?

Yeah makes more sense to just get 100euro sub and get outdoor camera as I am in the market for one anyway. Sneaky, very Sneaky.

I have two for at least 18 months now, it could be longer. I have mixed feelings about them. When they work, they are brilliant and the 24/7 video won me over as I was having an issue with a neighbour at the time. However they have been equally frustrating. Let me outline below:

I have one each front and back of the house. The router is in the living room and the camera is at the corner of the house- just under the gutter. I have a modest timber framed terraced house. In that sort of a situation it should work flawlessly but every now and again it used to lose signal to the router and you'd have to delete the camera and install it again. The app is frustrating in that you can't just change the Wi-Fi network.

The camera at the rear of the house (77 sqm) refuses to work effectively unless there's an extender in the rear bedroom right by the camera. That's worked fine but like the front camera, occasionally it just seems to lose the connection and you have to delete and install it again. Lately though it just doesn't seem to like the extender anymore and I'll most likely get a Google Wi-Fi set-up to try and get it back on track.

I have had at least one failure of either the camera or the power supply and it was replaced under warranty.

Now as frustrating as it is, it's equally brilliant. The app is fantastic. It's so incredibly easy to use and when you throw in a Chromecast and a Hub Max it's a great little setup.

Would I consider the outdoor camera's again knowing what I know now? I'd strongly look into what other options are available but if I had a Mesh system installed and thought that might fix the coverage issues then yes I'd try them again.

I have 2 outdoor Nest IQ Cameras and the doorbell. As Kintarō mentioned, when they work they are fantastic. The quality is brilliant, it even automatically zooms in on people when it's recording, and it does face detection. Great app too.

The 2 drawbacks would be:

1. Price. These things are expensive.
    2. Like was mentioned, I have had random dropouts, perhaps twice in 2 years, but each dropout lasted for about a week. Switching on/off did nothing. Then magically (both times) after about 2 weeks they came back online again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I've never had a problem with my Nest stuff, I've an IQ Camera, Doorbell, Max Hub and a few fire alarms, they are all brilliant, the 1 problem I had is I had the outdoor camera plugged in behind the washing machine and having to reboot it was a pain in the hole (I think after a software update), I just put it on a smart plug so I could restart it, of course I haven't had to use it since.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The app is frustrating in that you can't just change the Wi-Fi network.

Yes you can. I did it this week with my Nest Hello when I changed to Nest Wifi.
    if I had a Mesh system installed and thought that might fix the coverage issues then yes I'd try them again.

I now have a mesh with Google Wifi. So far so good.

I am considering getting a few cameras at the moment but would be concerned about investing in more subscription based cameras. This is why I am considering Hikvision.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes you can. I did it this week with my Nest Hello when I changed to Nest Wifi.

I now have a mesh with Google Wifi. So far so good.

I am considering getting a few cameras at the moment but would be concerned about investing in more subscription based cameras. This is why I am considering Hikvision.

I know it says 'Update' but it looks like you are essentially installing it again rather than just amending it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I know it says 'Update' but it looks like you are essentially installing it again rather than just amending it.

It was quite a simple and quick exercise and all settings were retained so it has all of the hallmarks of an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Not specific to home automation but a mesh will certainly help with a connected house

I have been buying and selling loads of mesh wifi trying to find the perfect one, in the end a powerline system seems best and came across these. This is a massive bargain as everywhere else they are 200+

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

I ended up buying two sets for just a bit extra of the Tp-link equivalents

Thank you, picked up a set myself, half the price that Amazon is currently listing, good deal! My ISP's router isn't great for the 5ghz band especially, and 5g not available upstairs at all so hopefully these will make a noticeable difference

Not specific to home automation but a mesh will certainly help with a connected house

I have been buying and selling loads of mesh wifi trying to find the perfect one, in the end a powerline system seems best and came across these. This is a massive bargain as everywhere else they are 200+

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

I ended up buying two sets for just a bit extra of the Tp-link equivalents

I'm in two minds whether to go with this or Nest Wi-Fi to get coverage to a Nest outdoor camera at the back of the house. I know it's about €100 cheaper than Nest (if I got the router and a Wi-Fi point) but one part of me likes keeping everything Google. Whichever one I get would be used in conjunction with a Fritzbox.

Any words of advice?

• Advertisement

I'm in two minds whether to go with this or Nest Wi-Fi to get coverage to a Nest outdoor camera at the back of the house. I know it's about €100 cheaper than Nest (if I got the router and a Wi-Fi point) but one part of me likes keeping everything Google. Whichever one I get would be used in conjunction with a Fritzbox.

Any words of advice?

Nest is over priced, it is a dual band system and they are the cheapest available. Have a look at thread below. You are paying more money for a Nest system as a tri-band system. So more or less paying for the google name. Personally I prefer to pay for a better spec than a name

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072654

Nest is over priced, it is a dual band system and they are the cheapest available. Have a look at thread below. You are paying more money for a Nest system as a tri-band system. So more or less paying for the google name. Personally I prefer to pay for a better spec than a name

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072654

Well I went with the Huawei set, hopefully it resolves the issue of the rear Nest Camera never staying connected.

Well I went with the Huawei set, hopefully it resolves the issue of the rear Nest Camera never staying connected.

Just set mine up, coverage in the house is excellent. Extremely easy to set up. Posted on the other thread. The app is very good but havent had a huge chance to look around in details but some nice features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Currys.co.uk currently have the Google home hub 7" for £69, you will need the likes of address pal for shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭andydurnin

Anyone know where I get a deal for Blink XT2? Looking first least 2 of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

andydurnin wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M8PFCD9/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_5Q-XEbQGSX4T1

25% off on Amazon at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

littlewoods have the one camera option on sale at €90 -not sure if that's good or not, spotted it on pricescanner today

John Lewis have the Ring Alarm Security System for £179 but they are also giving a free Ring Indoor Camera.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ring-indoor-cam-smart-security-camera-with-built-in-wi-fi-white-ring-alarm-security-system-bundle-179-at-john-lewis-partners-3469892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

TitianGerm wrote: »

This is being sold off in the US also. New hardware coming, I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wouldn't touch anything Ring or Amazon branded... They literally sell your videos and personal information... Not potentially, not possibly, they actually do...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch anything Ring or Amazon branded... They literally sell your videos and personal information... Not potentially, not possibly, they actually do...

They all sell your personal information.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They all sell your personal information.

That isn't really true of all companies. Not true of Apple or Google.

Google of course collects loads of data on you, but what people don't seem to understand is that they don't actually sell it on. Instead they sell targeted ads on their network, but don't actually sell your data.

It might seem a subtle difference, but it is actually a very important difference.

Apple seems to really take privacy seriously. They products are expensive, but the trade off is that you are their customer, rather then the product they sell.

I think just saying they all do the same is dangerous. Because that allows the worst companies to get away with terrible practices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

bk wrote: »
    That isn't really true of all companies. Not true of Apple or Google.

Google of course collects loads of data on you, but what people don't seem to understand is that they don't actually sell it on. Instead they sell targeted ads on their network, but don't actually sell your data.

It might seem a subtle difference, but it is actually a very important difference.

Apple seems to really take privacy seriously. They products are expensive, but the trade off is that you are their customer, rather then the product they sell.

I think just saying they all do the same is dangerous. Because that allows the worst companies to get away with terrible practices.

They can sell images and details of my boring life. Whoever buys them can knock themselves out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

Your Alexa/Mini/Smart TV/Phone is listening all the time, and anything you say is parsed for potential targeted advertisements. We've had targeted ads popup for holiday destinations and goods which we never even typed onto a phone or PC, but were just mentioned in conversation. It's happened so often it's creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

deezell wrote: »
    Your Alexa/Mini/Smart TV/Phone is listening all the time, and anything you say is parsed for potential targeted advertisements. We've had targeted ads popup for holiday destinations and goods which we never even typed onto a phone or PC, but were just mentioned in conversation. It's happened so often it's creepy.

Just to be clear, all alleged cases of this have proven to be false and all companies involved categorically deny they do this. For Google and Alexa, the key word processing is done locally so there is no need for an internet connection to be listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

deezell wrote: »

Pure nonsense, the conspiracies thread is over here
    >

So google ads are psychic then. Next time she asks did I Google Malta/tumble dryer/Pressure drive cleaning I'll just say yes, it's not listening to your chat. Samsung TV comes with 2 remote controls, bog standard and a sleek minimalist once with voice control. You have to "pair" the second one, and during the process click a user agreement whose small print specifically states Samsungs entitlement to monitor your use and 'use' this data. Button clicks? Voice ? The lenght of time you might delay on a Netflix inserted ad? That walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Guys get back to the point of the thread last warning before bans are issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

[PHP][/PHP]
    OU812 wrote: »
    This is being sold off in the US also. New hardware coming, I'd say
    Yep 2nd gen system launched in US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

So as I mentioned above, I installed my bridge and Smart TRV's just to get the basic bits of the system installed, and start to figure out the system a little before my installer comes to install the valves, extension kit and connect to the boiler etc. So unless something massive crops up when it's properly installed, I really can't see what the sub is going to give me extra, other than automation (IE: Open window, leaving the home and switch to away mode etc), which I can achieve via Home Assistant. Additionally, in the latest version of Home Assistant, they've now got Tado setup as a proper integration, so it's much easier to understand which bits you an work with for scripts, automations etc.

As I mentioned above, once I've got my Tado properly installed in the coming weeks, I intend to write up a decent post to hopefully help others out, as a few people have been very good to me on here with information to get me to this point. But my hope is to go sub free, and get HA to do what the Tado sub would do, and perhaps even do it a little better.

P.

I finished up my 3 year Tado installation a fortnight ago.
    My setup is Downstairs, Upstairs & DHW. Heating is from a Firebird OFCH Burner.
    The system was controlled by an EPH 3 zone programmer with analog thermostats.

I have 2 Smart Thermostats for Downstairs & Upstairs.
    13 Smart TRVs.
    Using the EPH programmer to control hot water twice a day. Central Heating Zones are set to always ON.
    (With this setup, I don't see any need for the extension kit. If there is a good reason to have it besides using a wireless Thermostat, I might reconsider).

I don't think I have paid full price for any of this kit. Just been patient & waited for the deals to come as funds allowed. Total spend was £510.

I'm confident with my wiring skills & ability to read wiring diagrams. Installing the Smart Thermostats just involves powering down & disconnecting the old analogue stat, putting on a new wall plate & connecting up, in my case, 2 wires to each thermostat.

Installing the Smart TRVs is really simple if you have existing Thermostatic valves. Downstairs, all my rads were 25 year old Myson TRVs. These needed an adapter, included with the Tado SRT.
    What I did was, take off the existing thermostatic head. Spray WD40 on the pin & leave for an hour. Get a pliers & gently work the pin up & down. There's only about 3mm of travel.
    Then follow the Tado app's installation instructions.

Couple of things to note:
    A. Keep a note of the RUXXXXXXXXX (for Thermostats) & VAXXXXXXXXX (for heads) serial number & which zone & room you installed them.
    B. When you're installing the TRV heads, Tado adds each head to Zone 1.
    C. They have a soft limit of 10 Rooms that you can add to a zone.
    D. When you go above 10 Rooms, the app will tell you that it cannot add a new room. If you're doing a mass install, just keep adding your new TRV heads.
    E. Get in touch with Tado. Tell them that you have 2 heating zones give them a list with each zone, serial number & associated room.
    D. Be prepared to wait for a day for a reply.

Upstairs, I had no TRVs installed. Drained down the system & replace the existing valve on each rad with cheap TRVs from Screwfix. Cheap is fine as the valves are going to be actuated at least daily, & are very unlikely to get stuck.

Regarding the app, with geofencing & open-window detection.
    Seeing as I have Tado stuff since 2017, I might have been grandfathered in, but I was able to upgrade to the V3+ app for a one-off €20.
    Not really sure if it would be worth €5 a month ATM, as my wife is working from home. However, there's a bigger problem with geofencing. My address & postcode shows my house almost 4kms away from its actual location. #dealbreaker.

The app is very intuitive & allows you to easily set automation timings & temperatures.
    It's also very easy to manually adjust the temperature of a room for a given period, indefinitely, or until the next timing.

I'm all in Apple, so... Homekit.
    The Tado app is fine, but I want everything in Homekit, & I don't want to have to open multiple apps, obviously.
    Change the temperature in Homekit & it puts the Tado system into the indefinitely mode. Means you have to open the Tado app to put it back into automatic mode. Not exactly spouse / family friendly.

I have a Synology Disk Station, so I run Homebridge, which currently gives me the option of adjusting the temperature, & it returning to the automatic mode at the next timing. This still isn't ideal, I can't boost the bathroom for 30 minutes while someone has a shower. Another downside, is that I now have 2 heating icons for each room, one from Tado & one from Homebridge. I'm kind of afraid to remove the Tado ones TBH.

Conclusions: Great system, as we're only heating rooms as necessary. Three rarely used rooms only get heated once a day. Heating isn't blaring to compensate for a window being left open. If everyone is more than 10km away, the heating is off (see geofencing issue above).
    It's been saving me about 15% fuel (by volume, not €) since day one, & I would expect that to hit 25% next winter.
    I have a Raspberry PI on the way for another project, so I'm going to have a look at switching over to Home Assistant. (Synology Home Assistant setup seems really complicated ATM).

I finished up my 3 year Tado installation a fortnight ago........

Great writeup Paul, beware though of TransmissionControlProtocol (AKA the Mod)'s warning about off topic, this is the bargains thread, not the heating automation. I'm in bother already, but I'll risk saying that you should be able to set your geolocation centre simply by going to Home Details/Home Address on the app menu , tap the GPS map centering icon and accepting this as the home locus. You can see on the map if its accurate. I'm assuming they haven't changed this in V3+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are these any good?

They look the business and are relatively cheap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are these any good?

They look the business and are relatively cheap.

Yes quite good, try place it out of direct sun and some shelter from rain...

One failed on me after some bad rain....

Picture is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Starter Kit: Smart Bulb 3x Pack LED [GU10 Spot] Including 2x Hue Buttons + Bridge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SMB6FLW?tag=camelcamelcam-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Looks like its the lowest its ever been for this set according to the 3 Camels who are back in action :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Got one of these today and very impressed. Great sound and build quality for the money.

Just got this email from google,guess they felt guilty for tricking me into new Nest aware sub!!

It’s nice to have a little extra
    Thank you for your recent order.
    Your new Nest Aware subscription qualified you for a Nest Mini on us.*

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

That's pretty sweet. Did you email them to complain or what? Bought a second nest camera and the free trial expires tomorrow after my Nest Hello. Would you recommend I upgrade to the new plan or keep my old one?

RTT wrote: »
    That's pretty sweet. Did you email them to complain or what? Bought a second nest camera and the free trial expires tomorrow after my Nest Hello. Would you recommend I upgrade to the new plan or keep my old one?

No never said anything to them. I was a bit peeved I changed but will probably just keep it now as I plan to get the IQ outdoor later in the year. If 5 day 24/7 recording is enough like it was for me and you don’t intend to keep 2nd camera then no. If you are keeping the 2nd one I would upgrade to new plan. 60 day 24/7 recording and all cameras fall under the one plan.

Got that email myself. That's great as I had wanted to get a mini for the folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement