Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Got that email myself. That's great as I had wanted to get a mini for the folks.

So ye just signed up to the new Nest Aware and got an email a few days later about the mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So ye just signed up to the new Nest Aware and got an email a few days later about the mini?

Yes. I was already a Subscriber with 3 cameras on the old plan so automatically upgraded to the newer plan when it became available as I didn't have the Hub Max on the plan.

I have a nest aware subscription too. Just one camera though.

Did ye get an email offering the mini before ye changed or were they just being nice? :)

I can't see a downside to switching to the new plan?

Free month on offer too

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I have a nest aware subscription too. Just one camera though.

Did ye get an email offering the mini before ye changed or were they just being nice? :)

I can't see a downside to switching to the new plan?

Free month on offer too

The mail came tonight, after I had changed over a week or so ago. The change was a no brainer for me so I'm doubly delighted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the email as well, with 3 cameras it's about 1tb of data a month being uploaded so the subscription is a steal at €100 per month in my opinion, getting the Nest mini is a great bonus, pity I'll just through it in the box with the other free Nest Mini I got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Clareman wrote: »
    I got the email as well, with 3 cameras it's about 1tb of data a month being uploaded so the subscription is a steal at €100 per month in my opinion, getting the Nest mini is a great bonus, pity I'll just through it in the box with the other free Nest Mini I got

Yeah same here re throwing it in the box. Might be nice birthday present for someone. I got my email about 2 weeks after signing up to new sub.

@Clareman, What cameras do you have? Looking at IQ Outdoor one myself, already have Nest Hello

I signed up last night, one month's free trial now. Did ye get the nest mini email soon after? Still waiting..

Edit. I see Bobby got the email two weeks after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

I got the email as well, with 3 cameras it's about 1tb of data a month being uploaded so the subscription is a steal at €100 per month in my opinion, getting the Nest mini is a great bonus, pity I'll just through it in the b
    ox with the other free Nest Mini I got

That's a €100/year isn't it? With more than one camera are the images still full size or are they tiled?

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    That's a €100/year isn't it? With more than one camera are the images still full size or are they tiled?

I'm not quite sure what you mean but assume you mean when you launch the app or view on the web. You're presented with thumbnail previews for each camera. On the web they are presented two across the screen. On the app they are presented one after the other in a descending order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Yeah same here re throwing it in the box. Might be nice birthday present for someone. I got my email about 2 weeks after signing up to new sub.

@Clareman, What cameras do you have? Looking at IQ Outdoor one myself, already have Nest Hello

I've the IQ Outdoor, Hello and the Max Hub

Yeah, 100 for 13 months actually. Each stream is it's own HD feed but you can have a dashboard with them all as thumbnails if you want.

I just remembered when I got the nest mini i gave my original mini to my parents as a present, between the hubs, Google home and the mesh I've a speaker in nearly every room but they are handy, I'm going to use this one as an outdoor speaker i think as i won't mind if it breaks and I've a spare outside plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

BobbyT28 wrote:
    No never said anything to them. I was a bit peeved I changed but will probably just keep it now as I plan to get the IQ outdoor later in the year. If 5 day 24/7 recording is enough like it was for me and you don’t intend to keep 2nd camera then no. If you are keeping the 2nd one I would upgrade to new plan. 60 day 24/7 recording and all cameras fall under the one plan.

Signed up to the new plan yesterday. Received an email about the free nest mini last night. Just got a text saying that it will be delivered tomorrow. Happy enough with that.

BobbyT28 wrote:
    No never said anything to them. I was a bit peeved I changed but will probably just keep it now as I plan to get the IQ outdoor later in the year. If 5 day 24/7 recording is enough like it was for me and you don’t intend to keep 2nd camera then no. If you are keeping the 2nd one I would upgrade to new plan. 60 day 24/7 recording and all cameras fall under the one plan.

Signed up to the new plan yesterday. Received an email about the free nest mini last night. Just got a text saying that it will be delivered tomorrow. Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement

Mine was delivered today by DHL, I'll post here whenever I open the box, but still a nice surprise to get.

I've the IQ Outdoor, Hello and the Max Hub

How do you rate the IQ Outdoor? Worth the money?

, I'm going to use this one as an outdoor speaker i think as i won't mind if it breaks and I've a spare outside plug.

Are you just bringing it outside when your sitting out the back or are you planning on leaving it outside all year round with some sort of protection ?

I see in the US some people got Nest Hubs while others got Mini's. I'm not going to moan about a free Mini but a Hub would have been amazing and useful in my case. The mini I'll just be giving to the folks.

How do you rate the IQ Outdoor? Worth the money?

Absolutely brilliant, the quality is outstanding and I find the alerting/scroll back to be great. Saying all that I don't know if it was worth the money, it is an awful lot of money for a camera, I had a bit of spare cash at the time so I bought a LOAD of kit at once so price didn't bother me too much, sorry I know that doesn't help.

• Advertisement

I see in the US some people got Nest Hubs while others got Mini's. I'm not going to moan about a free Mini but a Hub would have been amazing and useful in my case. The mini I'll just be giving to the folks.

I saw that as well, the hub would have been brilliant but I guess it's bad form to complain about something free :o

My mini has been thrown in the box with the mini I got for having a YouTube Premium subscription, I had a look around the house and I couldn't find another place to put it

Are you just bringing it outside when your sitting out the back or are you planning on leaving it outside all year round with some sort of protection ?

I've a very sheltered area of the garden that doesn't seem to get wet, for example I keep patio chalk for the kids there and it hasn't been destroyed with moisture yet, saying that when I went to look at it I spotted that I've a Max Hub next to a window so all I had to do was open the window and turn the hub around, much better option that I'm going to use from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry might not be right thread, I have a smart tv and have on a smart plug which turns it off/on all the time. IS this bad for the TV? Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry might not be right thread, I have a smart tv and have on a smart plug which turns it off/on all the time. IS this bad for the TV? Thanks

Yes, it isn't great for the TV, it can cause wear on the components. Plus there is no benefit really to doing it. A modern TV in standby uses less then 0.5W, which is actually less power then most smart plugs draw to work.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it isn't great for the TV, it can cause wear on the components. Plus there is no benefit really to doing it. A modern TV in standby uses less then 0.5W, which is actually less power then most smart plugs draw to work.

It is to stop the kids :-) not to save power

This robot vacuum in Lidl this week, €199
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-cleaning/robot-vacuum-cleaner/p43149
    Silver Crest brand. Alexa etc. 2.6AH battery, 120min.run time

So, with apologies to Matthew 22.42
    "What think ye of (silver)Crest?
    Whose robot is he?

I've been reading that poster for ten years waiting for my train....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

This robot vacuum in Lidl this week, €199
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-cleaning/robot-vacuum-cleaner/p43149
    Silver Crest brand. Alexa etc. 2.6AH battery, 120min.run time

So, with apologies to Matthew 22.42
    "What think ye of (silver)Crest?
    Whose robot is he?

I've been reading that poster for ten years waiting for my train....

wonder if worth a punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

JJJackal wrote: »
    wonder if worth a punt?

Go to Amazon and get a Eufy Robovac that has a good brand base (made by Anker) and cheap spares/consumables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wouldn't spend €200 for a Lidl model, when you can get a Eufy for the same money...

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I wouldn't spend €200 for a Lidl model, when you can get a Eufy for the same money...

But will you get a Eufy with wifi, side brushes, app control, Alexa, 120 min, 2.6AH battery, suction boost, 5 modes? Lidl sold a bog standard robovac for £80 earlier, this one seems more like a Eufy 15C or 30C, which will set you back a good bit more. That's my question, how does it compare to robovacs of this spec. No point comparing it to a base model.

But will you get a Eufy with wifi, side brushes, app control, Alexa, 120 min, 2.6AH battery, suction boost, 5 modes? Lidl sold a bog standard robovac for £80 earlier, this one seems more like a Eufy 15C or 30C, which will set you back a good bit more. That's my question, how does it compare to robovacs of this spec. No point comparing it to a base model.

FFS, at least look at the link I posted... That's a fully featured 30C for £190...

He linked the 30c for the same price

So assuming free delivery to UK includes here, £190, or about €213. The Lidl one €13 cheaper, and you can walk in and refund or exchange if anything goes amiss. All my lidl tool/gadget purchases have been top class. I wonder eho makes this one?

FFS, at least look at the link I posted... That's a fully featured 30C for £190...
    Sorry FFS, I was replying to the post before yours, so my post which offended you was made sight unseen of your link.

So assuming free delivery to UK includes here, £190, or about €213. The Lidl one €13 cheaper, and you can walk in and refund or exchange if anything goes amiss. All my lidl tool/gadget purchases have been top class. I wonder eho makes this one?

I know which I'd be buying! You won't get better customer service than Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Agreed and Eufy customer service is great too... I've had a 30c for ages. It developed a battery fault and when I got in touch with Eufy (past any Amazon warranty) it turned out I was out of warranty but they sent me a full reconditioned 30c as a replacement

Later I got a battery replacement for the original 30c now I've got two :) happy customer

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm looking for a simple smart temperature / monitor that works with Google Home, any bargains? No need to connect to heating system etc.

This one claims Home connectivity, though not showing on home list
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECOOLBUY-Temperature-Hygrometer-Compatible-Greenhouse/dp/B07XL3YT5Q

This is the HOME list for stats. Sonoff also claims HOME connectivory though not on list

515587.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Unless you get a strike of bad luck or dodgy sellers and need to return 3 or 4 things in a row... They will stop talking to you and close your account down without a word of warning and close any other account you try to open afterwards...

ANyone experience of the Mi Smart Sensor system? https://www.mi.com/uk/mi-smart-sensor-set/

I have loads of Xiaomi stuff over the years and always great quality, issue was trying to get english on some of the apps.....that seems to be resolved now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ANyone experience of the Mi Smart Sensor system? https://www.mi.com/uk/mi-smart-sensor-set/

I have loads of Xiaomi stuff over the years and always great quality, issue was trying to get english on some of the apps.....that seems to be resolved now
    I've always found their apps poor and the stuff a little unreliable (prone to just not working sometimes) but at a good price. Can they integrate well into something like home-assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've a few of the temperature sensors, a few door/window sensors, a couple of movement sensors and one of the buttons plus some leak sensors on the way, all integrated into Home Assistant.
    The temperature sensors are probably not the most accurate but readings seem fairly close to other non-smart temp sensors I have.
    The switch for some reason doesn't work in HA but probably something to do with my setup.
    The rest all work grand.
    I have an automation to turn on hall light if the hall door opens (door sensor) and another one to turn on bathroom light if it detects movement. Both work quickly and they rarely need to be reset (and when they do it is because of issue with the lights rather than sensors).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Did anyone get the free mini when they signed up for the new Nest aware plans recently?

Seems some people in the UK got a free hub (really good deal given a sub to nest aware €50).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did anyone get the free mini when they signed up for the new Nest aware plans recently?

Seems some people in the UK got a free hub (really good deal given a sub to nest aware €50).

Got an generic email from google offering a mini

“ The new Nest Aware is now available. Annual plans start at just €50 a year and cover all of the Nest cameras in your home. When you subscribe, you’ll get 30 days of event-based video history. You’ll also get a Nest Mini, on us.”

Yes I did. I got a nest mini. It arrived last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

This is or was called the Aquara range. I use the motion and door sensors and they work really well for alerts.

I find the light switches are excellent and a cheap alternative to some of the other systems.

App isn't very intuitive but grand once you have it set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

ted1 wrote: »
    Got an generic email from google offering a mini

“ The new Nest Aware is now available. Annual plans start at just €50 a year and cover all of the Nest cameras in your home. When you subscribe, you’ll get 30 days of event-based video history. You’ll also get a Nest Mini, on us.”

If they are still flaky as mine is then it will jus frustrate you more. There is a long support thread about dropouts. Every other time I ask my nest mini to do something "...hmmmm something whent wrong try again in a fe wminutes" needs to be unplugged and plugged in again.

2 home minis work fine in the kitchen and shed but the nest mini is not as good despite its "upgrades"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If they are still flaky as mine is then it will jus frustrate you more. There is a long support thread about dropouts. Every other time I ask my nest mini to do something "...hmmmm something whent wrong try again in a fe wminutes" needs to be unplugged and plugged in again.

2 home minis work fine in the kitchen and shed but the nest mini is not as good despite its "upgrades"

My free nest mini is also the useless one in the family.
    Older mini, home and hubs all work fine but the I'm sorry reply is nearly the standard reply from the nest mini.

• Advertisement
Advertisement