Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

My free nest mini is also the useless one in the family.
    Older mini, home and hubs all work fine but the I'm sorry reply is nearly the standard reply from the nest mini.

Same, have 2 older minis, a home and a hub, all flawless. The free Nest Mini constantly drops connection, and I'll often wake up in the morning to a notification that it has yet again been unlinked from the house. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

baldshin wrote: »
    Same, have 2 older minis, a home and a hub, all flawless. The free Nest Mini constantly drops connection, and I'll often wake up in the morning to a notification that it has yet again been unlinked from the house. Useless.

Connectivity issues with their smart speakers, connectivity issues with their earbuds...... what are they doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Connectivity issues with their smart plugs, connectivity issues with their earbuds...... what are they doing.
    Google are flaky as duck with everything the do apart from search engines and ads. I'd always be wary of getting too dependent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

In layman's terms, how would this benefit me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

acalmenvoy wrote: »

Looks like a thermostat and 2 radiator sensors- than be operated via app.

Cheap compared to Nest, Hive etc

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

This post may help you out a bit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113756725&postcount=1942

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Assuming you're talking about the Thermostat & 2 Radiator Valve set, and that you have
    a water-filled radiator based heating system, and
    an internet connection:

The Thermostat could replace a thermostat you already have on the wall, allowing you to set heating schedules for whatever heating your existing thermostat controls at the moment, using a phone based app.

The Tado thermostat is far more accurate than most analog thermostats that I've seen installed, so you won't get as much fluctuation of temperature before the heating turns off or on. That means the house temperature will be more comfortable.

The Radiator Valves are not valves, per se. If you have Thermostatic Radiator Valves on your existing rads, the you can swap the Thermostatic heads off & replace them with the Tado version.
    If you have a room that regularly overheats when your heating is on, a TRV will adjust the amount of hot water going to that rad, so the room doesn't overheat.,
    If you have a room that is not regularly used, then a TRV can be set to heat that room once a day, enough to air it & stay off at all other times.

So, you can save fuel because the app can tell the heating to set different temperatures at different times throughout the day, warmer when you're at home, cooler when you're away or at bedtime.

The Tado system can be expanded to give you control of your Hot Water cylinder, also.

I've replaced my upstairs & downstairs thermostats first. Then I slowly added the Radiator Valves, a few at a time, as they came up on offer. I'm delighted with it, & reckon I've saved on Kerosene last winter, even though I didn't have all my Radiator Valves installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Argos have B22 & E27 white & colour ambiance 'mini starter packs' for 85euro at the moment.

These packs are 2 Colour bulbs and a bridge 2.0

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7049679/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HUE.htm

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7049617/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HUE.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Eufy Doorbell reduced to £160 on Amazon. I picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Footage is stored on the base station so no storage fees or lag. Battery won't last anywhere near six months with motion detection on especially during the summer when my kids are in and out all day! The human detection works very well and I've never had a single false alert. Alerts are very speedy and a thumbnail even appears on my WearOS watch! Chime is plenty loud too. Currently reduced to £160 on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Amazon Echo Plus Gen 2 with built in smart home hub down to 69.99

Anyone know so I need one of these or lots of I want bulbs etc all over the house? Thansk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

digitaldr wrote: »
    Eufy Doorbell reduced to £160 on Amazon. I picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Footage is stored on the base station so no storage fees or lag. Battery won't last anywhere near six months with motion detection on especially during the summer when my kids are in and out all day! The human detection works very well and I've never had a single false alert. Alerts are very speedy and a thumbnail even appears on my WearOS watch! Chime is plenty loud too. Currently reduced to £160 on Amazon.

Looks really good, I'm tempted!
    Checked the Eufy site direct, and same deal

https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/variant/video-doorbell-batterypowered/E82101W4
    £40 off with code WSVDBUK for the next 5 days (assume the Amazon sale tracks this as it's the Eufy/AnkerDirect store trading via Amazon platform, fulfilled by Amazon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-eufyCam-Wireless-Weatherproof-Compatible/dp/B07W4MY7HL/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ECDE69AP1X0Y7GA6STG6

EufyCam 2C 2-Cam Kit reduced to £159.99. Anyone have any experience of these and specifically how well they work with Google Home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mmmm this or the doorbell??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mmmm this or the doorbell??

You know yourself what the answer is, both and if Mrs. Crinklewood asks just say they were on offer

I bought the camera.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Eufy wireless video doorbell 2K on Amazon.it down to €149.99 lightning deal
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B081VD7VVZ/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

AngelaRI wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B081VD7VVZ/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    How secure to the base is that unit? And those base screws look like they'd slip past the large slot holes. I suppose you'd have a video of the perp's hoodie pocket for a short while...

517lQXPUlxL._AC_SY400_.jpg

REMOVE IN SECONDS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

deezell wrote: »
    How secure to the base is that unit? And those base screws look like they'd slip past the large slot holes. I suppose you'd have a video of the perp's hoodie pocket for a short while...

REMOVE IN SECONDS !

Ring replace any stolen door bells for free.

I wonder if Eufy do the same?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm almost positive that once any of the doorbells have been registered to your account if they are stolen they are locked so they can't be used by anyone else and most providers will give a free replacement as a goodwill gesture.

In my opinion because the doorbells won't work for others will mean that people won't bother stealing them, a bit like when mobile phones were locked when they were stolen pretty much stopped mobile phone theft, it still happens cause some people will steal anything but not as bad as it used to be.

Clareman wrote: »
    ......when mobile phones were locked when they were stolen pretty much stopped mobile phone theft......
    I wish that were true. Never underestimate the IT skills of organised tech gangs. My previous locked, passworded and subsequently IMEI deleted phone is probably humming away thousands of miles to the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I wish that were true. Never underestimate the IT skills of organised tech gangs. My previous locked, passworded and subsequently IMEI deleted phone is probably humming away thousands of miles to the east.

Thankfully door bells don't seem the be high on the wanted list in the pubs :pac:

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Thankfully door bells don't seem the be high on the wanted list in the pubs :pac:
    Or out in the boonies.

AngelaRI wrote: »

Anyone try this type of things at electric cates which would be circa 5m away from the house at nearest point?

I'm in the city so would be more worried about some drunk lad robbing it on the way home than an organised crime syndicate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-eufyCam-Wireless-Weatherproof-Compatible/dp/B07W4MY7HL/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ECDE69AP1X0Y7GA6STG6

EufyCam 2C 2-Cam Kit reduced to £159.99. Anyone have any experience of these and specifically how well they work with Google Home?

€191 on Amazon Spain
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07W4MY7HL?tag=haggle-web-es-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086KZ8X6S?&_encoding=UTF8&tag=nl_200713_uk_indoorcam_ENG-21&security=1

20% off with EUFYINCM down to £39

Think I'll get it as a baby monitor if it would show on a alexa show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

REMOVE IN SECONDS !

The screws hold it in place well, the won't fit through the holes plus you could change them to another screw if you really wanted?

To remove the bell from the base plate you use a kind of simcard removal tool but with a longer bit than a sim card one.

Also the base is plastic like most smart doorbells so in fairness anyone who wants to pry it off (although breaking the base and possibly the bell) will do with a well placed screwdriver.

afatbollix wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086KZ8X6S?&_encoding=UTF8&tag=nl_200713_uk_indoorcam_ENG-21&security=1

Good find. I've ordered. It's UK only, so parcel motel. I've noticed on Amazon after you select UK address, it offers collect from post offices nearby, in this case NewtonAbbey north of Belfast.. Assuming you could get it direct to a post office nearest your favourite border crossing for collection. Not just get it sooner, or to save the PM charge, which is trivial compared to fuel, even with a large item, but I'm thinking of Brexit, and the possibility of messy VAT charges on all Amazon stuff if they don't keep collecting Irish VAT on ROI deliveries, and especially UK address deliveries such as PM, which will be treated as outside EU deliveries, with PM possibly forced to add 23% plus admin charge to UK sourced/addressed stuff. You'd pay both Vats. What think ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Good find. I've ordered. It's UK only, so parcel motel. I've noticed on Amazon after you select UK address, it offers collect from post offices nearby, in this case NewtonAbbey north of Belfast.. Assuming you could get it direct to a post office nearest your favourite border crossing for collection. Not just get it sooner, or to save the PM charge, which is trivial compared to fuel, even with a large item, but I'm thinking of Brexit, and the possibility of messy VAT charges on all Amazon stuff if they don't keep collecting Irish VAT on ROI deliveries, and especially UK address deliveries such as PM, which will be treated as outside EU deliveries, with PM possibly forced to add 23% plus admin charge to UK sourced/addressed stuff. You'd pay both Vats. What think ye?

I have collected things in Jonesboro post office before (just about North of the border). Very handy. But...you do need to go there during their opening times.

afatbollix wrote: »

I've been looking into baby monitors recently but I think I'll go for one with a dedicated receiver/screen. Don't want to have to take out the phone, unlock, launch app, etc. to check it. Even if it wakes and launches the app automagically on noise/motion, I think I'd still prefer the separate receiver device.

I think there's ones that operate over WiFi and will do dedicated receiver and to your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

We will get Amazon crap from France and Germany. So no extra Vat.

grogi wrote: »
    We will get Amazon crap from France and Germany. So no extra Vat.

If it's in the EU warehouse. We won't get free UK delivery, or UK restricted crap like the offer above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

If it's in the EU warehouse. We won't get free UK delivery, or UK restricted crap like the offer above.

Plus electrical items may have EU plugs rather than the UK ones we use (easily enough adaptable as voltage is the same).

I have seen a number of different ways suggested that Amazon may work for Ireland in future

- Ireland gets from EU warehouses as you note above (and the English version of .de site may be flagging thats what they are considering). Possible issues with plugs etc and longer shipping times. Also unclear if Prime shipping would be available.

- Continue buying from Amazon UK site (shipping to Ireland). They should be able to ship as nil VAT as becomes an export outside their common customs area but VAT (and possibly duty depending on what the deal with the EU ends up being) will be payable on entry to Ireland. Possible issues there are delays while that is being collected by An Post/Courier and they will likely have a handling charge that may make smaller purchases uneconomical.

- Continue buying from Amazon UK site (shipping to Ireland) but they operate a VAT/Duty paid system with Irish Revenue so they handle all that on their backend. I understand that for many items they currently load up full trucks for Ireland in their UK warehouses and then hand those off directly to An Post over here which would probably help facilitate such a model. Irish prices may have to be inflated a little should they have increased admin costs as a result.

- Buying from UK site and shipping to Parcel Motel Northern Ireland. This does seem like it may no longer make sense, they wont know for certain this an export so would probably have to charge UK VAT but Parcel Motel would also probably have to treat as an import to Ireland when they bring it across thus incurring double VAT charges.

That's a good synopsis and opinion. Anything shipped here from the UK after Jan 2021 will have no UK VAT, have 23% plus a long delay added by an post and that 'likely ' charge is not likely, it's a big fat €10 minimum, 1% of value. If you've ever brought in something trivial but over €22 from China, US, Turkey, it's a sickener. Worse if the exporter uses a courier, their VAT handling charges are ridiculous.
    Will the UK be allowed to levy VAT on behalf of EU governments? I can't see that happening, and we're not a special case. Maybe the UK will create a 'free zone' where Amazon and others can relocate, and be subject to EU conditions. Sneaky way of complying with EU trade rules while pretending to be 'free' and 'great and all the other s***e Boris and Cummins spout.
    Parcel motel will have to change their model, but now they're just a courier, and a tax collector for revenue. If Amazon set up a .ie version of their site, collect vat and bulk ship like they do now, it might work as long as the site is trading as an EU entity. Goods available on it would be subject to EU standards, manufacturer licencing and distribution rules, the kind of thing that prevents imports from competing with local appointed sources.
    I'm convinced there will be many occasions that Amazon UK will only supply to UK, in which case the NI post office collect and a smuggle across the non border will be the only way to avoid double VAT. Your warranty and other rights in this instance? That's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Anyone think they might just set up in Ireland? Must do a lot of business here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

JJJackal wrote: »
    Anyone think they might just set up in Ireland? Must do a lot of business here

That’s the plan, they leased a warehouse in Greenogue Business Park earlier this year.

• Advertisement

That’s the plan, they leased a warehouse in Greenogue Business Park earlier this year.

As Alan Partridge would say, "Ahaa!"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

I ordered my EufyINCM Pan & Tilt from the Eufy website and using Parcel Motel for £49.99 and it arrived 3 days later.
    I am absolutely delighted with it and will get more eufy cameras in particular the new Eufy 2 outdoor wireless cameras

The quality is great and works a treat. overall with parcel motel charge and conversion to euro it cost €60.00 - not bad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dam099 wrote: »
    Plus electrical items may have EU plugs rather than the UK ones we use (easily enough adaptable as voltage is the same).

I have seen a number of different ways suggested that Amazon may work for Ireland in future

- Ireland gets from EU warehouses as you note above (and the English version of .de site may be flagging thats what they are considering). Possible issues with plugs etc and longer shipping times. Also unclear if Prime shipping would be available.

- Continue buying from Amazon UK site (shipping to Ireland). They should be able to ship as nil VAT as becomes an export outside their common customs area but VAT (and possibly duty depending on what the deal with the EU ends up being) will be payable on entry to Ireland. Possible issues there are delays while that is being collected by An Post/Courier and they will likely have a handling charge that may make smaller purchases uneconomical.

- Continue buying from Amazon UK site (shipping to Ireland) but they operate a VAT/Duty paid system with Irish Revenue so they handle all that on their backend. I understand that for many items they currently load up full trucks for Ireland in their UK warehouses and then hand those off directly to An Post over here which would probably help facilitate such a model. Irish prices may have to be inflated a little should they have increased admin costs as a result.

- Buying from UK site and shipping to Parcel Motel Northern Ireland. This does seem like it may no longer make sense, they wont know for certain this an export so would probably have to charge UK VAT but Parcel Motel would also probably have to treat as an import to Ireland when they bring it across thus incurring double VAT charges.

Amazon are opening a warehouse apparently. Also doing their own deliveries, ads are looking for drivers

Amazon doesn't live in vacuum, they will change. Many things will change because of Brexit, opportunities will close and different opportunities will open.
    That's a good synopsis and opinion. Anything shipped here from the UK after Jan 2021 will have no UK VAT, have 23% plus a long delay added by an post and that 'likely ' charge is not likely, it's a big fat €10 minimum, 1% of value. If you've ever brought in something trivial but over €22 from China, US, Turkey, it's a sickener. Worse if the exporter uses a courier, their VAT handling charges are ridiculous.

This is simply ridiculous.

Firstly, Amazon will not ship things from UK warehouse to Ireland, the logistic channel will change.

Secondly, the VAT rules change in July 2021. Even when you'd buying something from UK, they would use IOSS and charge VAT at the point of sale. No additional hidden import charges.

Amazon doesn't live in vacuum, they will change. Many things will change because of Brexit, opportunities will close and different opportunities will open.

Firstly, Amazon will not ship things from UK warehouse to Ireland, the logistic channel will change.

Secondly, the VAT rules change in July 2021. Even when you'd buying something from UK, they would use IOSS and charge VAT at the point of sale. No additional hidden import charges.

Like they do when you buy from any non EU, an post add 23% before delivery, plud €10 mimimum. If it's sent by xyz couriers, their admin fee is worse. This is private mail order we're talking about, not buisness to buisness. If Amazon bring it here first, then distribute, no problems.

Like they do when you buy from any non EU, an post add 23% before delivery, plud €10 mimimum. If it's sent by xyz couriers, their admin fee is worse. This is private mail order we're talking about, not buisness to buisness. If Amazon bring it here first, then distribute, no problems.

The rules are changing in 2021! Private purchases from outside-EU business will be taxed at the point of sale (if the vendor uses IOSS, if not - look for one that does), and will fly through customs with tax already paid and declared. No extra fee, bar VAT. The sites like AliExpress, GearBest etc will be very fast to implement it. The €22 VAT exemption goes through the window as well.

Simply don't try to cheat the system, and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

I wasnt aware of IOSS, that sounds like it changes things a lot then.

I still think certain items may come from the UK warehouse, the relative scale of the UK and Irish markets would likely mean certain less popular items wouldnt make sense to stock just for Ireland and also some Marketplace sellers might not want to place stock in Ireland.

That sounds like a great global solution, not just for Brexit. Why would Amazon bother warehouseing here if they can IOSS from the UK? Does a non EU country have to approve it first? Either way it's the first I've heard of it. It's still the case a supplier can chose to let the delivery agent, (An Post, DPD, etc), act as the VAT agent. Will they do it for free?, it's a lucrative source of current income, I can't see them doing it for nothing, so the non EU supplier might have to charge extra? Let's see next July.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-ending--22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns.html

The rules are changing in 2021! Private purchases from outside-EU business will be taxed at the point of sale (if the vendor uses IOSS, if not - look for one that does), and will fly through customs with tax already paid and declared. No extra fee, bar VAT. The sites like AliExpress, GearBest etc will be very fast to implement it. The €22 VAT exemption goes through the window as well.

Simply don't try to cheat the system, and you will be fine.

That's great! I don't mind paying the vat. It's the courier charges that bug me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Aliexpress and Wish probably won't be as cheap from 2021 either given the near free postage from China being abolished. An Post have complained about it before.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/general/does-spell-end-low-cost-shipping-china

Advertisement