Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

manster wrote: »
    Long term reviews are not great. What I look for is IFTTT integration. Got caught in the past with eWelink as they started charging when initially free.

If anyone can recommend other WiFi plugs please let me know. Thanks

Long term review seems to a router issue when they changed routers.

I’ve the square ones from teckin for years with no issues.

Works with google home snd smart life app. Which while not IFTT, has some conditional options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

bobbyg wrote: »
    What do people generally use these for?

I use mine to turn off and off lights as others have said but the ultimate is the kettle, just ask Alexa to turn the kettle on while I'm upstairs and it's done by the time I'm down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

n1ck wrote: »
    I use mine to turn off and off lights as others have said but the ultimate is the kettle, just ask Alexa to turn the kettle on while I'm upstairs and it's done by the time I'm down!

Tell us more about this magic kettle...where'd ya get one that boils without manual intervention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Shlippery wrote: »
    Tell us more about this magic kettle...where'd ya get one that boils without manual intervention?

When you've finished you just pop it down again and it's ready for your next cup

Shlippery wrote: »

I’m curious too. Any I see the button pops up if there is no power. Same with the toaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m curious too. Any I see the button pops up if there is no power. Same with the toaster

I have seen the ikettle used a few times by mates and seems to work well

https://www.smarter.am/ikettle/

tommycahir wrote: »
    I have seen the ikettle used a few times by mates and seems to work well

https://www.smarter.am/ikettle/

But that’s purposely built and not via a smart plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

manster wrote: »
    Do you use IFTTT?

Depending on additional external coud isn't great idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ted1 wrote: »
    Our kettle holds. Don't use smart plug for that though as I don't drink tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Our kettle holds. Don't use smart plug for that though as I don't drink tea.

just checked mine .. :) stays switched on when powered off .

(my coffee machine has timer built in so not needed for me . :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No smart plug required with this one...controlled via app.

No good for tea though.

https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/order/machines/original/nespresso-expert-milk-off-black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi guys

Anyone any advice on a smart thermostat for a 20 year old oil burner? I'm looking at a nest. Can you install them yourself?

TIA
    Omt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi guys

Anyone any advice on a smart thermostat for a 20 year old oil burner? I'm looking at a nest. Can you install them yourself?

TIA
    Omt

Yes, you can install yourself just make sure power is off.

Loads of different makes, have the nest and had a netatamo in a rental I fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

For anyone travelling through Dublin Airport (almost nobody), the Alexa 3 is €50 & the Alexa show 5 is €57. Dots are €29 in Dixons

OU812 wrote: »
    For anyone travelling through Dublin Airport (almost nobody), the Alexa 3 is €50 & the Alexa show 5 is €57. Dots are €29 in Dixons

I miss buying my Google/Nest gadgets duty free :(

I miss buying my Google/Nest gadgets duty free :(

Me too and my Rum collection has being serious depleted

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Hi guys

TIA
    Omt
    I'd recommend Tado (www.tado.com -Also on amazon)
    Easy to install with basic electrical knowledge, you can place the wall mounted thermostat anywhere in house, looks good and you can zone your heating through the use of smart radiator valves.

EDIT: I take that back, just read recent reviews on amazon and most of their smart features (geofencing, etc.) are now behind a subscription wall for new v3+ system. Doesn't effect old customers.
    Pity.....it really is good system if you have it already.
    Think it's a big mistake charging monthly subscription, can't imagine many signing up with the alternatives out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Easy to install with basic electrical knowledge, you can place the wall mounted thermostat anywhere in house, looks good and you can zone your heating through the use of smart radiator valves.

EDIT: I take that back, just read recent reviews on amazon and most of their smart features (geofencing, etc.) are now behind a subscription wall for new v3+ system. Doesn't effect old customers.
    Think it's a big mistake charging monthly subscription, can't imagine many signing up with the alternatives out there.

Goefencing and open window detection are the two bits in the subscription model. You can buy the v3+ and it does all of the other good stuff, or you can do what I did and buy a v3 Internet bridge online and run your whole v3+ other parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi guys

TIA
    Omt

Installation is easiest if you use a stat with a wirelrss receiver, or if you already have an ordinary wired wall stat in the main space or hall. Nest, Hive, Drayton, Netatmo, are all wireless to a receiver you put by the boiler. Tado has an optional receiver, but has wiring terminals to directly replace your existing wall stat. Netatmo can be wired also, the receiver then just become the internet interface. Nest is a little piece of decor in its own right, Tado is the most minimalist design. There are lots of other more basic brands, a few such as Hub controller and Climote which tend to be used as part of grant aided installations by the Electricity utilities. Great if you could get a Nest as part of changing provider. OTOH, Drayton Wiser single stat is only €135 from Screwfix, a proper smart stat with simple install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It's fairly cheap for the year.

More than happy to pay a few quid for it. Servers/dev's etc all cost money. Their service/support is excellent and well worth paying couple of quid to keep tings ticking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have had Tado for the past couple of years. Initially didn't have the thermostatic radiator valves but kept an eye on camelcamelcamel and managed to get them half price. Well worth it - it's great to have control of individual rooms especially at this time of year when there's no need to heat the whole house. Works really well with google home eg can ask to increase sitting room by 1 degree and TRV will call for heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Not sure if it's a bargain or applies to all but I took out a 1 year subscription for the Nest Hello and over the weekend Google gave me a code for a free nest mini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

A320 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a bargain or applies to all but I took out a 1 year subscription for the Nest Hello and over the weekend Google gave me a code for a free nest mini

Well, Hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah it's been an active offer since they started offering the revised Aware prices. Closing date for it is the end of the month.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Yeah it's been an active offer since they started offering the revised Aware prices. Closing date for it is the end of the month.

Never even noticed it when subscribing :-)

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Roborock s6 robot vacuum. I've heard great reports on the mop version of this one.

£100 off with a voucher on Amazon at checkout.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088Z9S5X5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_RjmHFb849YCZD

Nest Hello €199, Nest Mini €32 and Nest Hub Max €206 at Dixon's Dublin Airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Nest Hello €199, Nest Mini €32 and Nest Hub Max €206 at Dixon's Dublin Airport

Pity I won't be in the airport anytime soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Philips Hue GU10 colour (the new smaller ones) are 3 for €89 on Amazon.de.

I could only order one bundle of 3 at a time, but I could make multiple orders ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

BigAl81 wrote: »

I could only order one bundle of 3 at a time, but I could make multiple orders ;)

Can you send me a link, I can't find them. Am also wondering how do I order via the German site..change address settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

deezell wrote: »
    Drayton Wiser Kit3 full 3 zone smart thermostats kit for €207. 2 wireless stats plus hot water control
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/drayton-heating-hot-water-3-channel-wiser-thermostat-control-kit/4081v

Anyone interested in this, now £79.99 on prime day deals

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075GNJ7ZN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5ixHFbQNEMCDY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Can you send me a link, I can't find them. Am also wondering how do I order via the German site..change address settings ?

here's the link: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Ambiance-dimmable-controllable-compatible/dp/B07XZTGFW2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hue%2Bgu10&qid=1602583516&sr=8-5&th=1

On the website, just go to amazon.de and log in. You'll have the option to change the language to English with the little flag just beside the search bar.

On the app, hit the three bars on the bottom right and go to Settings. You should see a flag, and you can change it in there. No need to change address settings, they'll ship to Ireland from the DE site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Clareman wrote: »

The 3rd Gen is still the premium product line... the new one is the basic. But it is not ready for the European market yet... it only works on HVAC units at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Roborock s6 robot vacuum. I've heard great reports on the mop version of this one.

£100 off with a voucher on Amazon at checkout.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088Z9S5X5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_RjmHFb849YCZD

that links to the S5, which I have. I paid £221.39 on Gearbest for it, and would highly recommend it. One of the best gadgets I've ever bought.

I didn't go for the S6 (mop version) at the time as a few online reviews mentioned that it was like dragging a dirty wet cloth around :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

that links to the S5, which I have. I paid £221.39 on Gearbest for it, and would highly recommend it. One of the best gadgets I've ever bought.

I didn't go for the S6 (mop version) at the time as a few online reviews mentioned that it was like dragging a dirty wet cloth around :P

That's not a xiaomi roborock and it uses a different app, seem to have copied the design and even using the S5 name but it is a different company, not sure how it compares to a roborock performance wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

here's the link: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Ambiance-dimmable-controllable-compatible/dp/B07XZTGFW2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hue%2Bgu10&qid=1602583516&sr=8-5&th=1

On the website, just go to amazon.de and log in. You'll have the option to change the language to English with the little flag just beside the search bar.

On the app, hit the three bars on the bottom right and go to Settings. You should see a flag, and you can change it in there. No need to change address settings, they'll ship to Ireland from the DE site.

Cheers, got my orders in...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

andy125 wrote: »
    That's not a xiaomi roborock and it uses a different app, seem to have copied the design and even using the S5 name but it is a different company, not sure how it compares to a roborock performance wise

it's been perfect for me, love it and would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

BigAl81 wrote: »

Thanks bigAl. You just saved me €200. Got 9 gu10s and 6 plays for €630, would have cost €830 on the UK site. Gentleman 👍👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Type 901 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in this, now £79.99 on prime day deals

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075GNJ7ZN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5ixHFbQNEMCDY

Thanks, I'm very interested. I'm starting a new thread, asking for some info/help. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Thanks, I'm very interested. I'm starting a new thread, asking for some info/help. :)

Deal looks to be over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

south wrote: »
    Deal looks to be over

That deal is, but the the 2 channel one, with 2 TRV's is a fantastic Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Great deals on tado° products as well, with ~50% discounts from regular prices.

I didn't know they introduced the remote temperature sensor, it was a very missed addition to the system: https://www.amazon.co.uk/boards/dp/B08D6VJVFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I am really pleased with my tado system. Initially didn't have any TRVs put bought enough of them for all my rads when they were half price last year and haven't look back. They can call for heat - really handy for this time of year when you might only want to heat one room. The missus is forever asking google to heat up the sitting room whereas I'd be happy enough to throw on a jumper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

do these lads work on any oul rad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

tusk wrote: »
    do these lads work on any oul rad?

I'm not sure about the Tado ones but I know that for the Hive ones you have to put them on a radiator that already has a TRV on it and not a lockshield. I assume that this would be the same for the Tado, or any other smart TRV system

Advertisement