Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

grogi wrote: »
    Evohome is not Tado, with the latter being probably 5x cheaper.

From my experience, Tado has a significant limitation of not being able to just open the TRV without calling for heat. For that reason tado multiroom doesn't work well.

You can install Tado TRVs in non boiler mode, where they operate like manual TRVs, albeit with full app control. Tado supply these as a kit with the bridge, specifically for community heated buildings, apartments, where the heat source is central, and not controlled or 'called' by the TRV. It should be possible to disassociate a TRV from the main stat, support can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I guess I won't know until next year how it's impacted my heating bill overall, but at a minimum I have the confidence in knowing that I'm only heating the rooms I'm using, when I'm using them, as opposed to just turning the dial on the manual timer and blasting the whole house out of it just so our bedrooms can be warm at night, or our living room be warm in the evening while watching tv.

The energy loss reduction is around 20% (https://core.ac.uk/display/77035376). But that comes with reduced efficency of the boiler - so overall the difference might not be that significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Will i need to drain the rad to put the valves on?

Ive a heating job being doen at the end of the week so it would have been ideal

So TRV Valve bodies are different from a standard Manual value. But Tado supply adapters which then clamp their TRV's to any TRV body

The energy loss reduction is around 20% (https://core.ac.uk/display/77035376). But that comes with reduced efficency of the boiler - so overall the difference might not be that significant.

All I know is that I'm not heating rooms now which I previously would have heated. Previously, heating came on for the whole downstairs, now it only heats the kitchen and dining room (where I'm WFH)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Evohome is not Tado, with the latter being probably 5x cheaper.

From my experience, Tado has a significant limitation of not being able to just open the TRV without calling for heat. For that reason tado multiroom doesn't work well.

Boiler efficiency was one concern for sure. Im not even sure how efficient it is with my dual zone nests. I have a 2500 sq ft house, 2 story with a Grant Vortex 90-120 boiler. I do like the idea of Tado, but ill probably stick with what i have for the moment. Thanks for all the insights and opinions, great to hear different views

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Boiler efficiency was one concern for sure. Im not even sure how efficient it is with my dual zone nests. I have a 2500 sq ft house, 2 story with a Grant Vortex 90-120 boiler. I do like the idea of Tado, but ill probably stick with what i have for the moment. Thanks for all the insights and opinions, great to hear different views

Boiler efficiency is not related to the number of TRVs zones, but more to do with the circulating water temperature. Maximum efficiency is achieved when the boiler reduces the temperature by pulsing or modulating the firing, such that sufficient temperature is maintained in the radiators to satisfy room demand, while ensuring the cooled return is at the least technically feasible temperature. Boilers operated by OpenTherm digital connections are best able to achieve this optimisation, but will only be able to take a connection from a single OT stat (Evohome and another brand can manage this though).
    I'm not sure what happens when Tado OT stat calls on behalf of a TRV, but I'd say there is a multi zone algorithm at play. It's moot with tado anyway, as even with a straight SL connection to the boiler, it modulates the firing either side of target temperature on the Stat or TRV. It doesn't have the benefit of boiler return temperature readings available via OT from an OT equipped boiler, but it does a very good simulation of OT control.
    I'd not worry about the marginal inefficiency of a boiler receiving multiples calls from many TRVs, as many of these will be closed or partly closed, their rooms won't overheat. A one or two zone stat only system is always a compromise, with only the stat locations being accurately monitored, unused rooms will heat, and open radiators in other rooms in the zone may well overheat their room, which is far more inefficient, unless capped by a manual TRV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

deezell wrote: »
    I'd not worry about the marginal inefficiency of a boiler receiving multiples calls from many TRVs, as many of these will be closed or partly closed, their rooms won't overheat. A one or two zone stat only system is always a compromise, with only the stat locations being accurately monitored, unused rooms will heat, and open radiators in other rooms in the zone may well overheat their room, which is far more inefficient, unless capped by a manual TRV.

It actually is the other way round - you get best energy utilization if all radiators heat up simultaneously. As you well explained, the boiler efficiency is directly linked to the temperature of water coming back into the boiler: the colder, the better. One radiator won't cool the water as much as many of them, so when only one TRV is open, water is warmer and efficiency loss happens. I might be wrong, but I haven't noticed Tado doing any coordination between the rads, so you might have two calling for heat in alternating periods.

Sure, there are some gains to be made by having separate room controls. Especially in bigger properties sparsely populated with rooms being completely unutilized at certain times. In a typical family house with a few people moving around - not so much.

What Tado does is learns the rate of increase in temperature in a zone when the boiler is called. It will not know the return temperature unless OT connected, but it will know how many zones are active. It wouldn't take much knowledge to write an algorithm that assumes the boiler will work more efficiently in this case by modulatimg the firing so that there is less circulation of the heating water as there are less open rads, while still having sufficient water temperature to bring the rooms to required temperature quickly.
    Even with all rads open on a single zone system, most stats will call for heat regardless of the return temperature, and unless your boiler output is a close match to steady state demand, it will have an ever increasing temperature on its return until the stat cuts. A smart boiler might well mitigate this by simply cutting the fuel while measuring return temperature, knowing that it can continue to circulate this heated water for a while without degrading the warm up time of the room, about which it had no feedback. Most modern boilers, gas on particular, are fitted with a return flow stat, and have their own firing logic, without any input from the stat.
    As far as Tado goes, when its calling a boiler via SL, it has no knowledge of the boilers efficiency measures, though Tado do ask for your boiler model when configuring your system initially.
    What they do have is a set of firing patterns, low, medium and full, and they switch between these pulsed patterns as the temperature rises to target. These show on the graph as shades of grey, on the app as 1 to 3 wavy lines. Running your finger over a days recorded data will show exactly how the boiler switched between these different power levels, which themselves are achieved by on/off modulation. It's rare that it will fire at full, unless starting from a huge temperature differential, or when 'someone' presses the boost timer on the app, which produces a dark grey 3 wavy line burst bar which is characterised by extending down over the base schedule horizontal bar, (orange and blue for temperatures above or below 19° , and green when in Away mode.) Check out this little screen capture of the graph as I run my (invisible) finger left to right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nsqEi9JETPggE-vh15T43-BxgSz5C80h/view?usp=drivesdk

deezell wrote: »
    What Tado does is learns the rate of increase in temperature in a zone when the boiler is called. It will not know the return temperature unless OT connected, but it will know how many zones are active. It wouldn't take much knowledge to write an algorithm that assumes the boiler will work more efficiently in this case by modulatimg the firing so that there is less circulation of the heating water as there are less open rads, while still having sufficient water temperature to bring the rooms to required temperature quickly.
    Even with all rads open on a single zone system, most stats will call for heat regardless of the return temperature, and unless your boiler output is a close match to steady state demand, it will have an ever increasing temperature on its return until the stat cuts. A smart boiler might well mitigate this by simply cutting the fuel while measuring return temperature, knowing that it can continue to circulate this heated water for a while without degrading the warm up time of the room, about which it had no feedback. Most modern boilers, gas on particular, are fitted with a return flow stat, and have their own firing logic, without any input from the stat.
    As far as Tado goes, when its calling a boiler via SL, it has no knowledge of the boilers efficiency measures, though Tado do ask for your boiler model when configuring your system initially.
    What they do have is a set of firing patterns, low, medium and full, and they switch between these pulsed patterns as the temperature rises to target. These show on the graph as shades of grey, on the app as 1 to 3 wavy lines. Running your finger over a days recorded data will show exactly how the boiler switched between these different power levels, which themselves are achieved by on/off modulation. It's rare that it will fire at full, unless starting from a huge temperature differential, or when 'someone' presses the boost timer on the app, which produces a dark grey 3 wavy line burst bar which is characterised by extending down over the base schedule horizontal bar, (orange and blue for temperatures above or below 19° , and green when in Away mode.) Check out this little screen capture of the graph as I run my (invisible) finger left to right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nsqEi9JETPggE-vh15T43-BxgSz5C80h/view?usp=drivesdk

Indeed. The part that provides huge efficiency is the way that TRV's learn the time it takes to raise a room temperature from Xdeg to Ydeg.

The important part is the way the boiler stops running (or the TRV closes) up to 10 mins before the room reaches the desired temperature since it is still delivering heat to the room. So if you want a room at 21deg, that's what you get.

Are large part of wasted energy is due to overheating rooms , especially too when the warmer the temperature, the more energy proportionately required to reach that temperature, even though that high temperature may not really be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Google store tends to discount most of its items on Black Friday as do all of the retailers selling them. Pretty sure I got some nest minis in HN last black friday for a fiver less than what google were selling them for.

I see that Google have started their Black Friday deals on their UK store today. Does the Irish store usually follow soon after?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I see that Google have started their Black Friday deals on their UK store today. Does the Irish store usually follow soon after?

They've dropped on the Irish store as well, Nest Hello is down to €194.46* for example

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Might as well put them all in 1 post, Google Store Black Friday deals on the Irish site

Nest Hello - 194.46 down from 274.46
    Nest Hub - €68.53 down from €88.53
    Nest Audio - €78.36 down from €98.36
    Nest Cam Indoor - €87.71 down from €137.71
    Stadia Premier- €68.85 down from €98.36
    Stadia Controller - €50.91 down from €67.88
    Nest Mini - €33.04 down from €58.04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Clareman wrote: »
    Might as well put them all in 1 post, Google Store Black Friday deals on the Irish site

Nest Hello - 194.46 down from 274.46
    Nest Hub - €68.53 down from €88.53
    Nest Audio - €78.36 down from €98.36
    Nest Cam Indoor - €87.71 down from €137.71
    Stadia Premier- €68.85 down from €98.36
    Stadia Controller - €50.91 down from €67.88
    Nest Mini - €33.04 down from €58.04

Why do Google refuse to sell the Nest hub max on the irish store? Very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Do the Nest Wifi Points ever get reduced? I picked up one of the older model Google wifi routers on clearance last year but could definitely do with a Point in the back of the house. Or can I just use a second Nest wifi router as a Point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nest Mini currently £19 on Currys UK site. Keep an eyenon Irish store to see if they get a similar heavy discount.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Nest Mini currently £19 on Currys UK site. Keep an eyenon Irish store to see if they get a similar heavy discount.

We got 5 of these free last year on a single Google play family account. Every assigned member was entitled to one, different addresses, didn't matter. They must make them for a couple of Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just a thought - should the heating related posts be moved to the heating automation thread (if possible) - there's lots of learnings there that will get lost if they stay in the BA thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Do the Nest Wifi Points ever get reduced? I picked up one of the older model Google wifi routers on clearance last year but could definitely do with a Point in the back of the house. Or can I just use a second Nest wifi router as a Point?

Yes... The router can and does also work as a node. And yeah, they do sometimes drop the price of the nodes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jones wrote: »
    Why do Google refuse to sell the Nest hub max on the irish store? Very odd

Yeah is mad Dixons at the airport is the only way to buy...either that or buy in UK with parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bit of a discount on amazon about £105~ €119
    €131 in argos

Trying to hold out for a better offer myself, have single one of the old version in centre of house. Reception is good everywhere except the alcove where the TV is. Going to get the router to put there as it has ethernet ports so I can hardwire it back. The Nest Wifi Point doesn't have ethernet ports.

Bundle is €229
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4339186/Trail/searchtext%3ENEST+WIFI.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ryath wrote: »
    Bit of a discount on amazon about £105~ €119
    €131 in argos

Trying to hold out for a better offer myself, have single one of the old version in centre of house. Reception is good everywhere except the alcove where the TV is. Going to get the router to put there as it has ethernet ports so I can hardwire it back. The Nest Wifi Point doesn't have ethernet ports.

Bundle is €229
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4339186/Trail/searchtext%3ENEST+WIFI.htm

slightly cheaper on screwfix at 219.95
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/google-nest-wi-fi-router-access-point/291HY?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqdP9BRDVARIsAGSZ8AlV9w3ByoqfBp0BgdP6J-1yPlacoizTTPHLoZqb78WW22NvDX6FY5MaAsDJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I picked up a 2 point Nest WiFi a couple of months ago for €200 from the Google Store... Black Friday is great but not always the best time to get best prices... If you see what you want at a reasonable price, just get it... The time to wait in case of a better price in November doesn't always work out.

... having said that, I'm looking to pick up a Eufy Robovac 30C or 15C Max... They had a good offer last week, but prices back up this week...

So if anyone notices them dropping, put up a post.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    ... having said that, I'm looking to pick up a Eufy Robovac 30C or 15C Max... They had a good offer last week, but prices back up this week...

So if anyone notices them dropping, put up a post.

Just track them on camel camel camel

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Just track them on camel camel camel

I have, but Eufy tend to have additional discounts that don't register on CCC... Tick box ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Josieg

JDxtra wrote: »

The grey model is now €29.99 on Currys.ie...

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-starter-kits/google-nest-mini-2nd-gen-chalk-10200134-pdt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

unklerosco wrote: »

Same AFAIK - looks like a great deal at Screwfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

I wasn't sure myself so I bought direct from google uk in case it has been revised at all, it worked out at €166 using curve revolut combo and €3.95 for parcel wizard. Ordered yesterday getting delivered tommorow.

• Advertisement

Cheers, ordered on screwfix... Just need to work out how to power it now. Prob pick up a plug in transformer on amazon (no wiring for a doorbell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

Lightning deal on amazon for tado. Ends at 3pm today.

tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control, Works with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VXBMC14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlC_Ye9TFbY6HMCYQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Argos:

Interesting deal where you can bundle the Ring Indoor Cam (708/6711) with the echo show 8 (403/9369) for an additional €11.50. Both for €81.06.

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Starter Kit - €73.77 @ Argos.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Redlim wrote: »
    Lightning deal on amazon for tado. Ends at 3pm today.

tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control, Works with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VXBMC14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlC_Ye9TFbY6HMCYQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

How much was it going for. I'm looking for a starter kit. Missed it again

TP-Link KP105 Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug - 2 for €23.60 @ Argos.ie.

How much was it going for. I'm looking for a starter kit. Missed it again

I picked it up for £125/€140 in this deal. Next up now is the quattro pack of TRVs as I missed these the other day.

I'm not 100% certain this is suitable for my system yet though as I'm a total amateur. I've OFCH with basic rotary wall clock. Dormer bungalow with 2 motorised zones - downstairs and upstairs wired stats. Hot water tank is included in upstairs zone so I currently don't have direct hot water control. Thinking I'll have to get wiring done from the tank to the wall clock to create its own zone.

I picked it up for £125/€140 in this deal. Next up now is the quattro pack of TRVs as I missed these the other day.

I'm not 100% certain this is suitable for my system yet though as I'm a total amateur. I've OFCH with basic rotary wall clock. Dormer bungalow with 2 motorised zones - downstairs and upstairs wired stats. Hot water tank is included in upstairs zone so I currently don't have direct hot water control. Thinking I'll have to get wiring done from the tank to the wall clock to create its own zone.

I had a zone valve which is now just permanently open because the Rad TRV's are all essentially Zone valves. You cannot have a situation where an upstairs rad calls for heat but your zone valve is still shut

championc wrote: »
    I had a zone valve which is now just permanently open because the Rad TRV's are all essentially Zone valves. You cannot have a situation where an upstairs rad calls for heat but your zone valve is still shut

Cheers, yeah I came across this issue when doing some reading up on it over the last few days. Seems the TRV can only make one call for heat, i.e. it can fire the boiler but can't also tell the zone valve to open. So the boiler keeps running with no heat delivered to that room. Bit of an oversight by tado?

I could certainly leave both zone valves permanently open but the downside is I'd need smart TRVs everywhere (14 rads €€€) or at least in the most used rooms. If I leave them both permanently open then I assume I won't need a second thermostat in addition to the one from the starter kit?

Would anybody know what would be the best way of getting hot water control? As mentioned earlier, our cylinder is upstairs in the same zone as the upstairs rads, i.e. I have no direct hot water control and it currently does not have a stat. I assume a cylinder stat would need to be wired back to the new extension kit that'll replace the old analog clock next to the boiler. How difficult would this wiring job be? Alternatively, if I'm making the old upstairs stat redundant by permanently opening the zone valve could the wiring for that be used instead? Think that would mean any upstairs rads without smart TRVs would heat up also though.

Hub max down to €202 delivered.

Considering most of the stuff on this website isn't great price wise in their cyber sale, this is pretty good...

https://www.oxendales.ie/shop/google-nest-hub-max/tb683/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3019

Use the code POWER to get 10% off the sale price to bring it down to €202 including delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The Lenovo Smart Clock is back in stock in Currys @ 39.99

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-starter-kits/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant-black-10202098-pdt.html

Edit: Scratch that, its 37.99 on the Lenovo website, €34.99 + €3 delivery, they have free delivery over €50

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/smart-clock/

Cheers, yeah I came across this issue when doing some reading up on it over the last few days. Seems the TRV can only make one call for heat, i.e. it can fire the boiler but can't also tell the zone valve to open. So the boiler keeps running with no heat delivered to that room. Bit of an oversight by tado?

I could certainly leave both zone valves permanently open but the downside is I'd need smart TRVs everywhere (14 rads €€€) or at least in the most used rooms. If I leave them both permanently open then I assume I won't need a second thermostat in addition to the one from the starter kit?

Would anybody know what would be the best way of getting hot water control? As mentioned earlier, our cylinder is upstairs in the same zone as the upstairs rads, i.e. I have no direct hot water control and it currently does not have a stat. I assume a cylinder stat would need to be wired back to the new extension kit that'll replace the old analog clock next to the boiler. How difficult would this wiring job be? Alternatively, if I'm making the old upstairs stat redundant by permanently opening the zone valve could the wiring for that be used instead? Think that would mean any upstairs rads without smart TRVs would heat up also though.

Quad packs of TRV's were on sale last week during a 12hr flash sale @ £129 each. The price of the starter kits per similarly slashed. Next week Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the days to watch, and multiple times potentially per day. Deals have started already, so keep an eye out.

I think your thought of use are along the right track. Check out the Home Heating Automation thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The fetish in here last year was hoovers this year it seems to be TRV's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

Cheers, ordered on screwfix... Just need to work out how to power it now. Prob pick up a plug in transformer on amazon (no wiring for a doorbell).

I too don't have wiring for a doorbell and I would be really interested to know which transformer you end up going with (before I buy the nest hello)

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    I too don't have wiring for a doorbell and I would be really interested to know which transformer you end up going with (before I buy the nest hello)

So after 2 mins of searching I think I may have found the answer to my own question !! ( proper numpty so I am ) :o

This website suggests: Ohmkat indoor power adapter

Anyone have this working with their Nest Hello??

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    So after 2 mins of searching I think I may have found the answer to my own question !! ( proper numpty so I am ) :o

This website suggests: Ohmkat indoor power adapter

Anyone have this working with their Nest Hello??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MJ953JD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_UI3UFbSGYPWHK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I went for

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Any recommendations on an electrician to install the Nest Hello? I am in Dublin 18 and would prefer it wired in. I currently have no bell or transformer. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Any recommendations on an electrician to install the Nest Hello? I am in Dublin 18 and would prefer it wired in. I currently have no bell or transformer. Thanks!

From the Irish Google Store...

Find a Nest Pro.
    https://nest.com/choose-your-country/widget/pro-finder

I did that last night and got a quote this morning! (€160!)

That's a great price from ScrewFix for the Hello Doorbell. It's €200 direct from Google. Now to buy now, or hedge my bets and wait untill Black Friday!?

Most sales seem to be week long these days. Do people think prices will drop again on Friday?

Advertisement