Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

thecivvie wrote: »
    I sent amazon a tweet asking about Brexit. No reply as such. As they charge Irish vat, I wonder will they continue. I have a large number of subscribe and save items
    They haven't trained up all these drivers and opened their own warehouse for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I sent amazon a tweet asking about Brexit. No reply as such. As they charge Irish vat, I wonder will they continue. I have a large number of subscribe and save items

You could write to the Taoiseach and ask about brexit and he won't be able to give you an accurate answer of what's going to happen because negotiations are still ongoing.

I don't know how you could expect amazon to be able to give you an accurate answer on brexit at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Uriel. wrote: »
    You could write to the Taoiseach and ask about brexit and he won't be able to give you an accurate answer of what's going to happen because negotiations are still ongoing.

I don't know how you could expect amazon to be able to give you an accurate answer on brexit at this point.

You obviously don’t believe Bezos, Gates et al are running the show with their nano-robot vaccines!

For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

Folks any chance we can move the chat/banter to a 'chat' version and save this for actual HA bargains (as per the thread title?) It's tiresome reading drivel.

came across this today - not the greatest bargain but handy for some festive cheer maybe:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Bayonet-Bluetooth-Assistant/dp/B07V5CM1DW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=hue+bulb&qid=1607419691&sr=8-7

using a few of these with the hue essentials app and some of the 'effects' is good fun for the kids

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lidl are launching a smart home range this Thursday the 10th...

https://www.lidl.ie/smart-home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Looking at the extension lead, is the only smart feature "fast charge"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Looking at the extension lead, is the only smart feature "fast charge"?

I never get this with irish sites not having the same info available as the uk.
    Below is the extension lead details from lidl.co.uk for this product.

Seems to connect over zigbee to a hub then depending on the hub you can do other smart features such as routines. I briefly looked at it but couldn't get any firm answer on this integrating with hue hub and I don't fancy adding a lidl silvercrest hub to my home automation setup.
    Easily manage your electronic devices and appliances anywhere
    Control your smart plug and devices with the Lidl Smart Home System
    Connect lights, kitchen appliances, household appliances, and much more
    Control connected devices from anywhere with Wi-Fi coverage
    Voice control with Google Assistant Secure encrypted communication
    With smart fast charge for improved charging times
    4x USB-A port and LED status indicator
    Free Lidl Smart Home app for iPad, iPhone and Android smartphones and tablet
    App functions: multiple timer programs, countdown function, auto on/off (at dusk/ dawn) and automatic clock change (summer/ winter)
    Sockets can be controlled separately
    Overcurrent protection
    Requires a Zigbee-compatible gateway for use (sold separately)
    With quick set-up instructions : complete instructions available via the app or from the service website
    Cable length: 120cm
    3-year warranty

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/smart-home/silvercrest-smart-usb-extension-lead/p37577

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Uriel. wrote: »

I got an email this evening from amazon.co.uk about vat and customs basically import fee deposit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd

So do we switch to another amazon or just grin and bear it

Join Ireland Weather Network

I got an email this evening from amazon.co.uk about vat and customs basically import fee deposit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd

So do we switch to another amazon or just grin and bear it

Not a bargain alert, can we discuss at

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058118872/26/#post115553174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

Wonder will the lights work with a Philps Hue hub?

KingCong wrote: »
    Wonder will the lights work with a Philps Hue hub?

Have had a quick read around the internet on these and it seems that the bulbs, light strips and single smart plugs will integrate with Hue. The extension cable does not integrate and seems to require the silvercrest hub to get use of the functions.

But I haven't tested anything myself so this is all just second hand info from quick internet searches.

For 29.99 I might try a light strip if I can bother getting to Lidl on Thursday morning.

Seems they work with Hue...but not with Alexa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If they are recognized by Hue Bridge, they behave like any other switch/bulb by Philips - so can be controller by any voice assistant that supports Hue.

So they wont work with amazon speakers with the built in hue functionality but most likely will work with Alexa commands if you have a separate hue hub and the bulbs linked through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I picked up a 2m light strip and bulb from Lidl this morning. They integrate perfectly with my Hue system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

JDxtra wrote: »
    I picked up a 2m light strip and bulb from Lidl this morning. They integrate perfectly with my Hue system.

Can you control them with Alexa ?

sharkman wrote: »
    Can you control them with Alexa ?

All Google Home here, no Alexa so can't test.

Thought I read somewhere they don't integrate with Alexa. On the packaging it mentions Google Home.

Looks like the bulb I got has a problem - there is no blue colour. Will bring this one back for an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Can they be extended do you know? I wonder if I could bolt on a couple of spare hue extensions I have...

So you you add them via the Hue app, or a SilverCrest one?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    So you you add them via the Hue app, or a SilverCrest one?

Hue. Why would you use Silvercrest app when you want to connect them to Hue Bridge?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Can they be extended do you know? I wonder if I could bolt on a couple of spare hue extensions I have...

They have an connector in the box to allow you to extend with another strip, although they do not currently sell strips on their own.

I don't know if the size is the same as the Hue strips.

grogi wrote: »
    Hue. Why would you use Silvercrest app when you want to connect them to Hue Bridge?

I don't know cleverclogs, that's why I asked.

Can't wait to be as smart as you!

Faulty bulb replaced by Lidl, no issues. Here's what they appear like when added to a Hue bridge...

4mNIqUQ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Faulty bulb replaced by Lidl, no issues. Here's what they appear like when added to a Hue bridge...

4mNIqUQ.png

So do you open the Hue app and Add Light? I've the lightstrip here but its not finding it

Double C wrote: »
    So do you open the Hue app and Add Light? I've the lightstrip here but its not finding it

Did you find by serial number?

Just press "add light", and it appeared within a few seconds - same process for bulb and strip. Did not need to add by serial number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Trying that and it's just at "Searching for devices", and then gives up and says "No new devices found"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I would assume my hue switches won't work with non-phillips bulbs?

Also, the switches are reduced at present to about €13. I have been watching the prices for a while.

Hue switch

I would assume my hue switches won't work with non-phillips bulbs?

They will work with any bulb that is connected to the Hue Bridge. You link the switch to the light inside the app.

• Advertisement

I don't know cleverclogs, that's why I asked.

Can't wait to be as smart as you!

Silvercrest App is needed only if you want to use the Silvercrest Gateway.

They will work with any bulb that is connected to the Hue Bridge. You link the switch to the light inside the app.

Perfect. Ill try to pick up some bulbs in Aldi. I would assume the tradfri bulbs work as well. I though there might have been an issue in the past with them

Silvercrest App is needed only if you want to use the Silvercrest Gateway.

Now wasn’t that a lot more helpful! ;)

Sound.

Just press "add light", and it appeared within a few seconds - same process for bulb and strip. Did not need to add by serial number.

Is there much difference in lumen output between these and the Hue colour bulbs?
    I’m assuming there’ll be no difference in colour seeing as the work off the same palette.

Reason I ask is I have 8no. GU10 that I need to change in the kitchen. Already have 2no. Hue colour ready to go.
    Would 6no. Lidl ones match, or would I be better off with 8no. Lidl?

Is there much difference in lumen output between these and the Hue?
    I’m assuming there’ll be no difference in colour seeing as the work off the same palette.

Reason I ask is I have 8no. GU10 that I need to change in the kitchen. Already have 2no. Hue colour ready to go.
    Would 6no. Aldi ones match, or would I be better off with 8no. Aldi?
    Personally, I'd use same type - unless two will be in a seperate area in the kitchen where a slight mismatch would not be noticable.

Perfect. Ill try to pick up some bulbs in Aldi. I would assume the tradfri bulbs work as well. I though there might have been an issue in the past with them

Hue supports Zigbee 3.0 (and it seems Silvercrest items support it too), while IKEA lights/switches don't and rely on older version of the protocol.
    Hue Bridge does have fallback to older versions, so Tradfri bulbs eventually link with Hue Bridge. But the connection is not bullet proof and gets frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭lardarse

Personally, I'd use same type - unless two will be in a seperate area in the kitchen where a slight mismatch would not be noticable.

Yes i would do the same. I compared the colours to a newer Gu10 hue bulb, and the colours didn`t look as bright and dynamic, as the hue ones. The older type gu10 from hue might be a better colour wise for these.
    Also be careful with the colour gu10 they are very much like the old hue gu10 in shape they are longer and may not fit your ceiling mounting bracket.
    The other white ambiance ones are the normal shape and size.

I can confirm also alexa works with the lights and plug socket for voice commands.

lardarse wrote: »
    Yes i would do the same.

Was think the same, thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you're going to aldi, you will be out of luck.

Try lidl :)

• Advertisement

Ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

If they are recognized by Hue Bridge, they behave like any other switch/bulb by Philips - so can be controller by any voice assistant that supports Hue.

Not true. When you ask Alexa to change the colour of one of these it says ''bulb doesnt support that'' and Homekit/Siri wont even look at them

Grand to fill some blind spots. Handy that you can add them to your switch/tap set up. Yes, colours arent very strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

Any idea if these bulbs will work with the IKEA gateway?

Edit - https://www.reddit.com/r/tradfri/comments/k3iasp/lidl_smart_home_zigbee_30/

kaerobe wrote: »
    Not true. When you ask Alexa to change the colour of one of these it says ''bulb doesnt support that'' and Homekit/Siri wont even look at them

Grand to fill some blind spots. Handy that you can add them to your switch/tap set up. Yes, colours arent very strong

Are they compatible with the Hue App scenes?
    Don’t really use Alexa for colour changing and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Are they compatible with the Hue App scenes?
    Don’t really use Alexa for colour changing and stuff.

Yes they seem to be fully compatible with scenes which can be controlled by hue hardware like remotes/switches but cant be imported into homekit scenes

kaerobe wrote: »

That is beyond bonkers and I don't get it. I am very familiar of how Philips Hue API looks like and the only explanation for such behaviour is that the the client actively looks to exclude certain devices (example will only import hardware that reports Philips as vendor, not all returned by Hue).

But hey, what did I expect from Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

HomeKit natively only supports the things HomeKit supports. Not really a surprise there that you can’t sneak unsupported stuff in via Hue. Seems that people have the Lidl lights working with HomeKit via HomeBridge plugins, few threads on Reddit about it.

Deal on Edison Philips Hue White Filament bulb and switch

I just bought 10 switches yesterday and they are shipped. I think I will buy a couple of these

Edit: restricted to 1 purchase

hzIi5VO.png

Update for the nerds: the Sivercrest plug switches are not currently supported by Zigbee2MQTT. Europlug version are, the UK versions are not. I do have them working however and will make a pull request tonight, so should be supported with next release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

funny you say that I stupidly turned up in Aldi looking for these this morning. Getting frustrated I got my phone out to check the dates and only then noticed it was Lidl and I was in Aldi :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Update for the nerds: the Sivercrest plug switches are not currently supported by Zigbee2MQTT. Europlug version are, the UK versions are not. I do have them working however and will make a pull request tonight, so should be supported with next release.

Decipher for the less nerdy? Will they still work within Hue landscape?

• Advertisement
Advertisement