Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from the US. Disadvantages???

• 01-12-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been on here before looking for advice to buying a laptop I could use for Photoshop.

Anyway I think I've singled out the Asus K501.

My question is if I buy from the US via Amazon.com (I have someone over there who's coming home) what disadvantages will there be re: guarantee, service and returning the product if there's a major problem.

Considering that the price will be significantly cheaper than Amazon.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

VAT and import duties.

And the power supply will be a US power supply.

Have you tried other sites within the EU, to include saveonlaptops and laptopsdirect (UK sites)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Keyboard layout, and plug be different would one to start with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

VAT and import duties.

And the power supply will be a US power supply.

Have you tried other sites within the EU, to include saveonlaptops and laptopsdirect (UK sites)?

Thanks for replies.

Shouldn't be a prob with duties as my sister lives over there and is bringing it.

A simple plug adaptor should also suffice as I've had cameras brought over with their chargers.

It's just the after sales I'm concerned about.

I know in Europe there's a 2 year warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Does the US keyboard allow a €?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

€€€€€€ sure dose,I have a dell bought in wally mart work's just fine.As for the plug just get a Irish lead with the correct fitting for the power supply.

€, alt on the right hand side of the spacbar and the dollar sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

The only problem I would see is the warranty. If it is an international one that would usually only be good for 1 year, but you might have to pay to ship to the US. After one year you'd be on your own. Buying from the UK would provide better protection with consumer protection similar to that in Ireland.

My advice, see what the warranty covers or what protection you can add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Warranty would be the major issue. Some manufacturers may offer a global warranty but most will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Sarn wrote: »
    The only problem I would see is the warranty. If it is an international one that would usually only be good for 1 year, but you might have to pay to ship to the US. After one year you'd be on your own. Buying from the UK would provide better protection with consumer protection similar to that in Ireland.

My advice, see what the warranty covers or what protection you can add.

I would double check warranty cover if buying from UK, I tried to get a laptop repaired on extended warranty purchased with laptop but they wouldn't honor it because i was outside the uk. so just check to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your contract of sale would be with Amazon US. The warranty is just fluff. Any problems and you're couriering it back there for €100+ each way.

Advertisement