Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainpal

• 01-12-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

www.rainpal.co.uk

Anybody come across these before? I know we've all managed using our gloved finger until now, but after last night's ride home (70 miles in thick fog) one of these would've been ideal. They do a basic one for £50, one with Bluetooth control for around £80 and £130 for one with a camera built in. Jet spray is about £40 extra.... These prices are half the normal price..... I'm tempted, but wary of ending up with more useless cack off the internet (eg. car dash cam pro).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

This isn't real yet, it's a kickstarter, they have a prototype that doesn't look all that impressive. Your man seems a bit unhinged as well, been following him on facebook for a while.

I don't think it's a swindle, I just think it's a bit of a gamble on something that mightn't work or arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Might have guessed ðŸ˜
    Looked it up on YouTube & everything seems to be a year old.... Might've had start-up issues?!?
    I got ear-isolators on Kickstarter.... Had to wait 5 or 6 months & had given up on them when they finally arrived. Must day they do work tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never a good sign when Google auto complete gives rainpal scam as one of the 1st suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some of these startups take years to bring a product to market. They need so much to be raised before there is a real product. So, crowdfunding is needed. This is to develop and then design production for the product.

I've been following it on Facebook. The guy does seem a little ... errr .... unorthodox. It does look like a good idea, but it might be another year or two before you can walk in and buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Yeh, I dug a little deeper& found a lot on bikerchatforum.org (I think). It seems a lot of people have invested and been left waiting with release dates being continually put back for one reason or another. It would seem that the design has not yet been tested on an actual helmet, never mind on the road. It gets a mention on 'armchair biker' which goes through issues such as the battery chosen being too big to fit the unit, the only tests so far being on a simulator.
    Apparently, he tried fundrazr initially but pulled the plug before completion for some reason.
    Anyway, sounds good in theory, probably best to wait until they're in production & well tested before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Rainpal

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I will post this in 2 posts as it seems too large as one Hello guys this is Adam Aarons the inventor of Rainpal. I will be the first to admit Rainpal has taken longer to get to a working prototype. This was caused by the first design company letting us down. That was in March when se stopped taking orders on Fundrazr. We then carefully searched and selected for another design company and found one who as you can see have successfully built a working prototype. The next stage for this is to demonstrate it on real bikers in London when it rains. It is currently very dry in London. So does it rain in Ireland would Rainpal save Irish lives? Thank you for your interest in Rainpal. Whilst the vast majority of  publications on Rainpal are positive there is a thread in BCF set up by a person who is so desperate for attention he calls himself cancer (CaNsA) What type of person uses a name like that a person who is divisive and desperate for attention.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]It should be noted that the 225 people that have paid for Rainpals are not complaining, not a single one of them as you would see so on the internet if they were. The anarchist group in BCF group run by cancer (CaNsA) all hide being nicknames. Armchair biker was critical but did not know about the problems being solved and has taken down his posts. [/font]

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,334 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rainpal, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account may result in a siteban until the account has been verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rainpals

Rainpal wrote: »
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]It should be noted that the 225 people that have paid for Rainpals are not complaining, not a single one of them as you would see so on the internet if they were.[/font]
    But you keep deleting posts from your facebook page. How are we suppose to complain when you delete any posts which are negative? 

As for it currently being very dry in London, have you not heard of a hose pipe or a bucket of water? 

It's just one lousy excuse after another. The whole idea is badly thought out, so far all you've got is your first prototype and that's not even complete or fully working yet you think the next stage is to get £95k from crowdfunding to start mass producing them.

Have you got any patents to show yet?

"Rainpals" are you trying to copy Rainpal. Numerous Patents are registered.

• Advertisement

Why would you even be concerned about Patents the reason is obvious you are not a customer you want to copy Rainpal. Use your real name like I have Adam Aarons and Rainpal! Are you a coward? Yes there will be no Linkedin account or real name. Pathetic.

No I'm not trying to copy you. 

It's all well and good you saying stuff like "Numerous Patents are registered" but it's meaningless unless you tell us the patent numbers?

As Oxford Products have got a similar item in development, you're going to need those patent numbers sooner than you might have expected.

With 105,000 views in a single post you say we delete posts.....we don't have time to go through all the posts. Now attempted copier of Rainpal please stop taking the Irish as fools you have been exposed....asking about Patents.

Why are you so concerned ? No more replies to you hiding behind our name.

We have Mechanical, Design and Trademark.

There's no need to be quite so aggressive!! 

Until you've patented your design then I or anyone else is free to make their own version of rainpal. If you had the patents then you'd be showing them off rather than being aggressive towards customers.

Would you like me to provide screenshots of some of your posts on facebook that you've later deleted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

So anyway, like I said, you can see the madness dripping off this fella. So it might happen, but it's a gamble. The end :-)

You must be an internet troll and you're wanting to copy rainpal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,334 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rainpal has had his account suspended until he follows the instructions I posted above, so there's no point in addressing any more posts towards him.

Rainpals, please play nicely.

People should also be aware that they'll struggle to have a conversation with Adam Aarons as not only will you questions / comments / feedback / concerns be deleted from the rainpal Facebook page, he'll also block you from the page.

And I always play nicely. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CaNsA

Hi guys.

I am the infamous CaNsA that Adam Aarons has become obsessed with,

Bit of backstory:-
    Rainpal popped up on Bike Chat Forums around the start of the year and spammed the hell out of it.

The BCFers laughed him out of there and we all thought that was it, the end of rainpal.
    A couple of months later Adam Aarons returned with more spam, and again he was laughed off the forum.
    Rainpal had vanished into the ether as far as I was concerned, then last month Adam decided to start plastering my name all over his heavily censored facebook page.

As far I was concerned, the game was back on.

Fast forward to the present and Adam has been outed as a scam artist who make outrageous claims about not only his product, but his career aswell.

The highlights of Adams failings can be seen here:-
    rainpal (dot) tech

The full 90page thread on Bike Chat Forums can be found by hitting Google with:-
    "rainpal is a scam"

Just remember, Adam has managed to alienate the UK's largest independent motorbike forum... anyone else would see BCF as their primary UK customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm amazed at how many new or relatively new accounts have been set up to comment on this thread. Boards isn't the centre of the universe so I'm a bit dumbfounded that these people hear about this thread so quickly.

I'm amazed at how many new or relatively new accounts have been set up to comment on this thread.

Me.
    Rainpal.
    Rainpals.

Adam Aarons and rainpal are hot topics at the moment so you can expect an influx of new people.

Plus Adam is notorious for registering multiple accounts himself in an attempt to make rainpal look genuine so you've got that to look forward to as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Videos don't have sound now for that reason.

He has £15k+ from people with no product.

The thing is this could work or is believable but Adam digs a bigger hole by even being here.

No patents.

Noise: knock on you helmet then put it on your head and knock on it.Check the video with sound .

I just slow down in heavy rain and........I a live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's probably a fundamental reason this doesn't exist, even aside from regular production/design issues (cost, motor noise, reliability, batteries, patents, liability issues if it doesn't work/goes wrong).

Car windscreens are glass. Glass is hard, so car wipers don't scratch car windscreens. Visor shields are made of plastic. Plastic is soft. Any wiping of a visor is going to grind debris and cause scratching.

Thumb or finger wipers are used occasionally, so don't scratch the visor much.

A motorised wiper would be continuously on in rain, and would therefore cause scratches in no time.

I'm going to develop a glass helmet visor. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Whilst rainpal is unlikely to be coming to market any time soon, a few weeks ago we developed an alternative that I think is superior in many ways.

I present to you: Nobwipe - The Movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSgGohswX9o&feature=youtu.be

Which, despite the name, is work safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

I'm going to develop a glass helmet visor. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

It wouldn't be that difficult to put a thin layer of glass onto the outside of a visor, then you could have the safety of plastic visor with a scratch resistance surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be that difficult to put a thin layer of glass onto the outside of a visor, then you could have the safety of plastic visor with a scratch resistance surface.
    A glass layered visor would crack pretty quickly.

The reason that visors are plastic is that they can handle the impact of a stone or insect at high speeds and flex to disperse the energy.

The outer glass layer would crack/shatter/web causing the visor to be totally useless.

Advertisement